Start by marking “Moving the Mountain: Beyond Ground Zero to a New Vision of Islam in America” as Want to Read:
Moving the Mountain: Beyond Ground Zero to a New Vision of Islam in America

Moving the Mountain: Beyond Ground Zero to a New Vision of Islam in America

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Muslims in America who reject extremist or fundamentalist expressions of Islam at home and abroad feel the urgent need for a voice that can represent them in the escalating irrationality of the current debate about Islam, America, and the West. Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf—the so-called Ground Zero Imam—has become that voice.

Drawing from his personal experie...more
hardback, 240 pages
Published May 8th 2012 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Moving the Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moving the Mountain

Jud Barry
Last summer I read the Qu'ran for the first time. While reading, I kept having this thought: "Muhammad was asserting radical, universal monotheism as the basic component of religion. He was, essentially, a Unitarian."

Then, just a few days ago, while reading this book by the imam of the famous "Ground Zero mosque"--and already enjoying it and cheering on the author for his championship of religious toleration--I read this (p. 142): "I often ask Christians to consider Muslims as Unitarians with an...more
Andrea
I loved this book. Everyone in America should read it. It definitely gives you a great perspective and has some interesting history of the Muslim faith. It also gives you a greater understanding about the Muslim faith and you realize that a lot of things the average person associates as part of the faith tenant are in fact not part of the faith but the culture of the various Muslim countries. He also does a bit of comparing between Muslim, Christian, and Jewish beliefs. So many things he says in...more
Bill
In 200 pages, Rauf makes a persuasive case for the moderate nature of Islam and proposes many ways that people of all faiths - and no faith - can work together in the spirit of tolerance, understanding and the common purposes of peace and justice. The author displays an impressive understanding not just of the Quoran and Hadith, but of the Torah and Christian Gospels too, adding to his credibility and the persuasiveness of his argument.

There are a few points where he gets bogged down in catalogi...more
Lorette
Imam Rauf speaks to the need for moderate Muslim voices to be heard, the dangers in religious extremism for all religions, the life and beliefs of American Muslims, and gives a brief synopsis of the Muslim religion, Muslim history, and how closely related Judiasm, Christianity, and Muslim are. "We are more alike than unalike."
April
If you've read this article you've basically read the entire book:

"I believe we are part of a growing global chorus," he says. "And I know for a fact that moderates exist everywhere, in every tradition and in every political environment. There are moderates in Israel. There are moderates in Iran, the Republican Party, the Democratic Party. And what we need to do is link all of these moderates together and figure out a way that this coalition can speak to i...more
Nora Zaki
As an American Muslim who is often ashamed of other Muslims for their ignorant acts, this book makes me so proud of my faith and especially the important work of interfaith. I participate in an interfaith group in Gainesville, FL, the place where a pastor burned the holy Qur'an. This interfaith group has brought me so much joy and Imam Feisal's own experiences with interfaith remind me of my own. Imam Feisal conveys Islam in the utmost beauty and clarity. He presents Islam as a balance that can...more
Naomi
Mar 07, 2014 Naomi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: islam
An enjoyable read, Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf's presentation of Islam is oriented towards Americans seeking to understand and find common ground. Good reading for small groups and congregations engaging in interfaith community and bridge building.
Carolyn
I would recommend this to anyone concerned with extremist Islamists - and who is not? at least in these times in the western world. Iman Rauf provides a clearly written, intelligent history of the Muslim faith. An especially interesting chapter to me, as a woman honestly frightened by what I have understood of Shariah law, is currently titled: Why the United States is Shariah-Compliant.

I read the advanced uncorrected manuscript version of the book. Would be interested in reading it again with a...more
Felicia
I won this book from GoodRead first reads. I would have rated it about a 3.5 but I was leaning more to 4 so I went with four. I learned so much, it was a great book to learn about a culture and a religion that is very misunderstood right now and is looked down upon. The copy I have is an uncorrected manuscript so it might have changed when published but I think this book is great for those who like to learn about other cultures and religions and those who are worried about the future when it com...more
Pamela Mattson
Well written, sensitive and perceptive look at Islam. Correlations with the Constitution of the United States, Christianity, Judaism and Buddhist teachings show how Islam is not so radical after all. But it is the individual cultures interpretations of Shia which causes the trouble. Not all Islam is alike. Just like all Christians aren't all alike.
Marcella
Book does a good job of explaining different elements of Islam as well as a view for the future. Definitely learned from the book, but felt my interest peaked starting in Chapter 4 as more modern examples were discussed. 200 pages makes this a quick read, but sometimes feels like there are redundancies that can cut this down a bit.
Sharon Worsnup
Won a copy through Goodreads' First Reads program.

A courageous story about tolerance in post 9/11 America. The media focus’ on the extremists taints the view of Muslim’s in America, this book is a positive view that needs to be seen!
Shirin
Easy to read. A rational man who should be heard, especially by those of us professing Islam as our faith.
Mirëdon Fusha
A nice-idea book for anyone who wishes to know better about the real muslims.
Valerie
Every American should read this book.
Mills College Library
297.0973 A136 2012
natercopia
natercopia marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Lucky
Lucky marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Harold
Harold added it
Jul 25, 2014
Ayman Fadel
Ayman Fadel marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Billie-dashah Chen
Billie-dashah Chen marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Maya Michele
Maya Michele marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Carlgrady
Carlgrady marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Alexander Kwok
Alexander Kwok marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Amy
Amy added it
Nov 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Aslan Media Book ...: A Unified Muslim American Community - Is it Possible? 2 5 Aug 06, 2012 10:50PM
Imam Feisal is Chairman of the Cordoba Initiative, an organization that brings together leaders across the Muslim-West divide to speak out for innovative, proactive, and positive solutions to shared challenges. In this capacity, Cordoba Initiative can provide novel solutions to those areas where conflict between Islamic and Western communities undermine local and global security.

In 1997, Imam Feis...more
More about Feisal Abdul Rauf...
What's Right with Islam Is What's Right With America: A New Vision for Muslims and the West Seruan Azan Dari Puing WTC: Dakwah Islam di Jantung Amerika Pasca 9/11 Quran for Children Islam, a Sacred Law: What Every Muslim Should Know about the Shari'ah What's Right with Islam: A New Vision for Muslims and the West

“...Religious wars have never produced the downfall of any religion.” 1 likes