Start by marking “Moving the Mountain: Beyond Ground Zero to a New Vision of Islam in America” as Want to Read:
Moving the Mountain: Beyond Ground Zero to a New Vision of Islam in America

Moving the Mountain: Beyond Ground Zero to a New Vision of Islam in America

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  62 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The “Ground Zero Imam” delivers an open and honest clarion call inviting readers to a deeper understanding of the role of moderate Muslims in America and in the world, triggering an entirely new conversation about Islam.

Muslims in America who reject extremist or fundamentalist expressions of Islam at home and abroad feel the urgent need for a voice that can represent them
hardback, 240 pages
Published May 8th 2012 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Moving the Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moving the Mountain

Jud Barry
Oct 29, 2012 Jud Barry rated it it was amazing
Last summer I read the Qu'ran for the first time. While reading, I kept having this thought: "Muhammad was asserting radical, universal monotheism as the basic component of religion. He was, essentially, a Unitarian."

Then, just a few days ago, while reading this book by the imam of the famous "Ground Zero mosque"--and already enjoying it and cheering on the author for his championship of religious toleration--I read this (p. 142): "I often ask Christians to consider Muslims as Unitarians with an
Andrea
Jun 15, 2012 Andrea rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Everyone in America should read it. It definitely gives you a great perspective and has some interesting history of the Muslim faith. It also gives you a greater understanding about the Muslim faith and you realize that a lot of things the average person associates as part of the faith tenant are in fact not part of the faith but the culture of the various Muslim countries. He also does a bit of comparing between Muslim, Christian, and Jewish beliefs. So many things he says in ...more
Bill
Aug 04, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it
In 200 pages, Rauf makes a persuasive case for the moderate nature of Islam and proposes many ways that people of all faiths - and no faith - can work together in the spirit of tolerance, understanding and the common purposes of peace and justice. The author displays an impressive understanding not just of the Quoran and Hadith, but of the Torah and Christian Gospels too, adding to his credibility and the persuasiveness of his argument.

There are a few points where he gets bogged down in catalogi
Lorette
Jul 24, 2012 Lorette rated it really liked it
Imam Rauf speaks to the need for moderate Muslim voices to be heard, the dangers in religious extremism for all religions, the life and beliefs of American Muslims, and gives a brief synopsis of the Muslim religion, Muslim history, and how closely related Judiasm, Christianity, and Muslim are. "We are more alike than unalike."
Vera Sophia
Jun 18, 2015 Vera Sophia rated it really liked it
Shelves: islam
I belief at a certain stage of life, one will question their belief (or lack thereof) and choose whether or not to stay in that belief. As for me, I experienced bouts of crises of faith and questioned my Muslim identity. Am I a Muslim because I happened to be born in a Muslim majority country? Did I embraced Islam because it's the religion of my parents? I don't want to be a Muslim merely because of circumstances I have no control of, I have to make a conscious decision to stay (or not) within t ...more
April
Jul 09, 2012 April rated it liked it
If you've read this article you've basically read the entire book:

"I believe we are part of a growing global chorus," he says. "And I know for a fact that moderates exist everywhere, in every tradition and in every political environment. There are moderates in Israel. There are moderates in Iran, the Republican Party, the Democratic Party. And what we need to do is link all of these moderates together and figure out a way that this coalition can speak to i
Nora Zaki
Jan 29, 2013 Nora Zaki rated it it was amazing
As an American Muslim who is often ashamed of other Muslims for their ignorant acts, this book makes me so proud of my faith and especially the important work of interfaith. I participate in an interfaith group in Gainesville, FL, the place where a pastor burned the holy Qur'an. This interfaith group has brought me so much joy and Imam Feisal's own experiences with interfaith remind me of my own. Imam Feisal conveys Islam in the utmost beauty and clarity. He presents Islam as a balance that can ...more
Naomi
Mar 07, 2014 Naomi rated it really liked it
Shelves: islam
An enjoyable read, Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf's presentation of Islam is oriented towards Americans seeking to understand and find common ground. Good reading for small groups and congregations engaging in interfaith community and bridge building.
Carolyn
May 24, 2012 Carolyn rated it really liked it
I would recommend this to anyone concerned with extremist Islamists - and who is not? at least in these times in the western world. Iman Rauf provides a clearly written, intelligent history of the Muslim faith. An especially interesting chapter to me, as a woman honestly frightened by what I have understood of Shariah law, is currently titled: Why the United States is Shariah-Compliant.

I read the advanced uncorrected manuscript version of the book. Would be interested in reading it again with a
Felicia
May 09, 2015 Felicia rated it really liked it
I won this book from GoodRead first reads. I would have rated it about a 3.5 but I was leaning more to 4 so I went with four. I learned so much, it was a great book to learn about a culture and a religion that is very misunderstood right now and is looked down upon. The copy I have is an uncorrected manuscript so it might have changed when published but I think this book is great for those who like to learn about other cultures and religions and those who are worried about the future when it com ...more
Pamela Mattson
Mar 06, 2013 Pamela Mattson rated it really liked it
Well written, sensitive and perceptive look at Islam. Correlations with the Constitution of the United States, Christianity, Judaism and Buddhist teachings show how Islam is not so radical after all. But it is the individual cultures interpretations of Shia which causes the trouble. Not all Islam is alike. Just like all Christians aren't all alike.
Marcella
Dec 29, 2012 Marcella rated it liked it
Book does a good job of explaining different elements of Islam as well as a view for the future. Definitely learned from the book, but felt my interest peaked starting in Chapter 4 as more modern examples were discussed. 200 pages makes this a quick read, but sometimes feels like there are redundancies that can cut this down a bit.
Sharon
Apr 07, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Won a copy through Goodreads' First Reads program.

A courageous story about tolerance in post 9/11 America. The media focus’ on the extremists taints the view of Muslim’s in America, this book is a positive view that needs to be seen!
Philip
Apr 09, 2016 Philip rated it did not like it
*Book was received as part of a Goodreads giveaway*

For whatever reason, I could not make it very far into this book. Perhaps if one has more interest in Islam and/or religious studies it would make for a better read.
Shirin
Oct 12, 2012 Shirin rated it it was amazing
Easy to read. A rational man who should be heard, especially by those of us professing Islam as our faith.
Mirëdon Fusha
Nov 01, 2012 Mirëdon Fusha rated it liked it
A nice-idea book for anyone who wishes to know better about the real muslims.
Valerie
Nov 03, 2012 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Every American should read this book.
Mills College Library
297.0973 A136 2012
Martin Brooks
Martin Brooks rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Summer
Summer marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Morgan Matthews
Morgan Matthews rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Nasra
Nasra marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Jeri Shaw
Jeri Shaw rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2015
Maha
Maha is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2015
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Aubree Cheadle
Aubree Cheadle marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Tanner
Tanner rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Shomeret
Shomeret rated it really liked it
May 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Aslan Media Book ...: A Unified Muslim American Community - Is it Possible? 2 5 Aug 06, 2012 10:50PM
Imam Feisal is Chairman of the Cordoba Initiative, an organization that brings together leaders across the Muslim-West divide to speak out for innovative, proactive, and positive solutions to shared challenges. In this capacity, Cordoba Initiative can provide novel solutions to those areas where conflict between Islamic and Western communities undermine local and global security.

In 1997, Imam Feis
More about Feisal Abdul Rauf...

“...Religious wars have never produced the downfall of any religion.” 1 likes