Start by marking “A Sentimental Traitor” as Want to Read:
A Sentimental Traitor

A Sentimental Traitor (Harry Jones #5)

A missile tears a passenger plane from the skies over London. Everyone on board is killed, including thirty-seven special children. As terror turns to international chaos, can the government survive...?

Who would have killed them? And why? When Harry Jones starts searching for answers, he stumbles into the middle of a plot that stretches from Russia to the Islamic revolutio
Published February 16th 2012 by Simon & Schuster UK

To ask other readers questions about A Sentimental Traitor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sentimental Traitor

Matt
May 03, 2015 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dobbs finds his groove in a great mystery thriller sure to win back some fans left unimpressed with previous Harry Jones stories. A missile decimates a plane over London, killing all on board, including thirty-seven children. The UK and US governments begin questioning who could be behind this and for what reason. When an Egyptian national is fingered, he's located and covertly captured by Russian officials. Interrogation leads to his death in custody, without revealing the entire story behind t ...more
Barbara Elaine French
Best book since Smiley's People

Fast paced and full of intrigue. Fascinating and exciting and very well written. A great vacation book! John La Carte would be proud.
Chuck
Jul 16, 2016 Chuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed interesting heroes in novels before but Harry Jones may win the "Most Interesting" prize. He is a war hero, he is independently wealthy and a member of the British House of Commons. This one opens with an unknown trio of men on a fishing boat in the North Sea lining up the sights of a Russian shoulder mounted missile launcher targeting a British Airbus on a routine flight from Brussels to London. The passengers aboard the airplane include 37 children of American diplomats statione ...more
Jim Thornton
Jun 09, 2012 Jim Thornton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read, but compelling.

Strongest Harry Jones book yet I think. Don't go looking for intellectual stimulation, but if you'd like a straightforward thriller, give this a go.

Recommendation? Read.
Miss M
Apr 14, 2013 Miss M rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pure rubbish. I'm shocked this is the same author who gave us Francis Urquhart.
Michael Riess
Disappointing; banal.
J V Woods
Not his best

This is the first book of Michael Dobbs I did not enjoy. Hard to get going until Harry Jones finally made an appearance. But the story was so involved that it became difficult for me to get to grips with it. Sorry Michael!
David Lowther
Mar 16, 2013 David Lowther rated it liked it
With Dobbs' novels you know what you're going to get; some nice people, some horrible people, a totally implausible plot and some interesting locations. Its been like that since House of Cards.

A Sentimental Traitor is bang up to date. The government is tottering and the economic forecast is bleak. Terrorism is a global threat. There are several threads to the story. Once these start to come together, the pace picks up and it becomes a bit of a page turner. The hero (and heroine) are both vulnera
Yla Delarosa
Jun 02, 2013 Yla Delarosa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had always been drawn to stories that not only depicts real life situations, but also something that is about crime-solving and deceit and characters outsmarting each other. I think this book didn't fail to give a very mind-blowing opening and each turn of event just kept getting interesting.

Once I started reading this book I just cannot put it down. I want to know what will happen next and it has kept me wanting to keep turning the page so I can find out how it will end. This book has given m
Dave
Aug 31, 2014 Dave rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not for me this one. Got 150 odd pages in and had to put it down.

There was nothing really happening. The idea had so much potential but all I really got from it was akin to a boring day at the office. It was readable, but I've better books to be going on with.

The writing style was so-so, story telling very slow with nothing of value bulking it out.

Characters were thin, cold, with an odd sense of perversion.

The author's knowledge of how internal government and the EU work was probably on the mon
Rachel
May 26, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Michael Dobbs book, having seen the original House of Cards many years ago I was interested to see what this would be like. Certainly not as good as House of cards but a fairly fast moving thriller with plenty of political intrigue and the ability to make the EU sound almost interesting (an achievement in itself).

An interesting opening sequence but some of the main protagonists decisions were a little difficult to believe. Good enough that I would try another one.
Bev Taylor
Oct 11, 2014 Bev Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a harry jones thriller

a missile tears a passenger jet from the skies over london killing all ob board inc 37 american children of embassy officials

were they the target or someone/thing else?

harry jones starts searching for the answers and whilst doing so finds him declared bankrupt, losing his status as mp and also being accused by the police if sexual assault and murder

all in a days work!

eventually he finds the culprit but even then all is not as it seems

bev

Alec Hyde
Sep 25, 2013 Alec Hyde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fifth in the Harry Jones series. Great characterisation, plot and dialogue - up to the final few chapters. Felt like an anti-climax, after all the plotting and action, in the way the denouement was arrived at. Personally, I'd like to have seen more - retribution against the evil-doers; greater explanation for what lay behind it all; just felt a little rushed towards the end. Otherwise, would have given five stars.
Myrna Roach
Sep 02, 2014 Myrna Roach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great political drama worth reading. It took me a while to get into the British politicians minds but once I got it, it was a great book.

This was my first Michael Dobbs read and I intend to add to my collection.

Great writer.
Kathie
Jun 06, 2013 Kathie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I'm new to the Harry Jones thriller series, I'll be looking for more from this author. With a setting in England, the story was a little slow to develop, but heated up quickly and was hard to put down.
Jane
Apr 24, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nicely paced political thriller in the Harry Jones series. Easy to follow without a huge, confusing reveal at the end that leaves the reader scratching their head, but instead this one eased you along with just enough information for to follow both sides of the plot.
Bill Klanderman
Aug 20, 2013 Bill Klanderman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read. Worthwhile.
Keith
Aug 09, 2016 Keith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. The ending felt a little rushed. Otherwise I loved it.
Brett Collins
May 29, 2014 Brett Collins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have got in to Harry Jones series of books and this one was great
Out and out thriller.
Louise Charles
Jul 09, 2013 Louise Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant
Pauline Heggen
Colin David
Mar 04, 2014 Colin David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always well written although the "destruction" of Harry Jones by a European Security Agency is a bit far fetched: nothing in the EU is that efficient!
Bridget
Bridget rated it liked it
May 20, 2012
Artemis
Artemis rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2013
Gerard
Gerard rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2014
Michael C
Michael C rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2015
Joven Teh
Joven Teh rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Anthony
Anthony rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2016
David Higton
David Higton rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Arthur Okun
Arthur Okun rated it really liked it
May 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Ten Days
  • You Can't Read This Book: Censorship in an Age of Freedom
  • Terror's Reach
  • Timebomb
  • Carver (Samuel Carver, #5)
  • In Defense of Politics
  • The Fountain at the Center of the World
  • Hard Target (Gideon Davis, #2)
  • Best of All Possible Worlds
  • Them And Us: Politics, Greed And Inequality   Why We Need A Fair Society
  • The Drop (David Blake, #1)
  • The Quiddity of Will Self
  • Until Further Notice, I Am Alive
  • Promise (Darian Richards, #1)
  • Time Of Death (Ren Bryce, #2)
  • Beyond the Crash: Overcoming the First Crisis of Globalization
  • Departures: Seven Stories from Heathrow
  • Under the Same Stars
Michael Dobbs was born on the same day, in the same hour as Prince Charles in 1948.

He is the son of nurseryman Eric and his wife Eileen Dobbs and was educated at Hertford Grammar School and Christ Church, Oxford University. After graduating in 1971 he moved to the United States.

In the USA he attended the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts, which he
More about Michael Dobbs...

Harry Jones (6 books)
  • The Lords' Day (Harry Jones, #1)
  • The Edge Of Madness (Harry Jones, #2)
  • The Reluctant Hero