Start by marking “Old Enemies” as Want to Read:
Old Enemies

Old Enemies (Harry Jones #4)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In the Swiss Alps a teenage girl is thrown from a helicopter and her boyfriend is brutally abducted to Trieste, a city filled with undercurrents of past hatreds.
Ruari, son of Irish media owner J J Breslin, is in desperate danger, at the mercy of ruthless kidnappers making impossible demands. His terrified mother contacts the only person she knows can help her son: Harry J
Published February 17th 2011 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Old Enemies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Enemies

Gerald Sinstadt
When Michael Dobbs is on ground he knows intimately - politics and the corridors of Westminster - there are few better. When he seeks to put Harry Jones up against, say, Jack Reacher, he is out of his class.

Old Enemies is a mess. The villains are stereotypes, the love interest is tiresomely repetitive. Even the politics are sub-standard: how long does the Prime Minister wait while Jones is travelling Europe and getting beaten up before deciding whether he wants to be Foreign Secretary?

And there
Toni Osborne
Book 4, in the Harry Jones series

This is a story of international conspiracy where more than one life is at stake, an exhilarating race against time where the past will come back and decide the future.

It starts in the Swiss Alps, a teenage girl is thrown from a helicopter and her boyfriend is severely beaten and abducted to Trieste, a city filled with undercurrents of past hatreds. This is no ordinary kidnapping; it is about power rather than money.

The main plot centers on the kidnapping of a 1
Brenda Ho
This book would be my definition of a "heavy read".
Not many people use this term, I believe, but for me, it means a book which requires your full attention when reading. It's the complete opposite of light reading. This is not the type of book you read at the beach or by the pool, when you want to unwind and relax.

Also, I think this is the first thriller book I've read.
Or maybe one of the first, I can't quite remember.

Perhaps it's because I'm not accustomed to this type of genre, or because my
Laurence Bradbury
A very strange reading experience. The first half of this book is full of misery, self-pity and in places a dirge to read. At about page 200 I debated on whether to give up, but having never quit a book yet, I pushed on. I’m glad I did. Once the hero Harry Jones travels to Trieste the novel changes abruptly from soporific drudge to pacy thriller. It was almost like reading a book written by two authors. I can only surmise that Michael Dobbs was writing for cathartic reasons in the beginning, per ...more
Poh-Nee
This is a fast- paced, exciting and well researched book. Its a book that has good character development, a great storyline and a beautiful description of Italy. I found the cast of characters interesting. The Romanian bad guys were brutal and violent. The Irish grandad hostile. The female love interest seemingly fragile yet exhibiting a mental toughness. Her husband appears ineffectual. And the main character himself is tough and uncompromising. In the end there is redemption, The author imbues ...more
Sandy
Good thriller, with an international setting and a good romance. Makes me want to visit the city of Trieste.
Liam
I've always admired Michael Dobbs as an author, and this book is one of his best. It continues the story of Harry Jones, ex special forces and now politician as he's embroiled in a kidnap of the son of one of his former lovers. The story moves at a quick pace, taking the reader from the wintry London streets to the even colder backdrop of Trieste. Throw in some rotten Romanians, some horrific beatings, a grudge going back to Bloody Sunday and you've got a recipe for a crime thriller that's worth ...more
Brett Collins
Kept me on the edge of my seat.
Mikeh5972
Well written story which never flags. Kept me engaged right to the end. Michael Dobbs maintains the suspense extremely well.
Jim Thornton
Another 'Harry Jones' book, and SO much better than the last one. Really enjoyed this one. Good storyline with plenty twists and intrigue. Go for it.
Ross Whamond
Harry Jones is dragged back into a world he had left behind.And a past he wanted to forget.

An enjoyable read and I look forward to the book.
Gail
My first Michael Dobbs and it certainly won't be my last! Very good read.
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Humaira Ahmad
Humaira Ahmad marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Lorettaguo
Lorettaguo marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Gonzalo Pardo
Gonzalo Pardo marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Myrna Roach
Myrna Roach marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Luke A. Bunker
Luke A. Bunker marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Nazurah Ap
Nazurah Ap is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2014
Kim Miller
Kim Miller marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
carmille
carmille marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Michael Dobbs was born on the same day, in the same hour as Prince Charles in 1948.

He is the son of nurseryman Eric and his wife Eileen Dobbs and was educated at Hertford Grammar School and Christ Church, Oxford University. After graduating in 1971 he moved to the United States.

In the USA he attended the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts, which he
More about Michael Dobbs...
House of Cards (Francis Urquhart, #1) Winston's War (Winston Churchill #1) Never Surrender (Winston Churchill, #2) To Play the King (Francis Urquhart #2) Churchill's Triumph (Winston Churchill #4)

“And even if fairies built a nest in the bottom of my garden and it should turn out that I have to live for a thousand years, there's not one of them when I'll be of a mind to trust you.” 0 likes