Start by marking “King's Gold” as Want to Read:
King's Gold

King's Gold (Knights Templar #30)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  203 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
As the year 1326 draws to a close, London is in flames. King Edward II is a prisoner, and the forces of his vengeful queen, Isabella, and her lover Sir Roger Mortimer, are in the ascendant. The Bardi family, bankers who have funded the King, must look to their future with the Queen, steering a careful course between rival factions -- if, that is, they can keep themselves a ...more
Published May 26th 2011 by Simon & Schuster UK

To ask other readers questions about King's Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King's Gold

Terri
Another one down and not too many more to go now. I read the first in this series, The Last Templar, then I jumped forward to the books at the end (because I could not source the earlier books too easily or at all in some cases) starting with The Oath.

Then I read the recently released prequel to the entire series, Templar's Acre. And now back to the end of the series with this one, King's Gold. One more to go and if I then wish to meet Sir Baldwin de Furnshill and Simon Puttock again, I will hav
Paul
Mar 16, 2015 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jecks continues to provide an excellent read and sustains the quality of this Templar series with excellent historical research and the weaving of stories within the early 14th century world of England, etc. I have all of the titles in the series as I searched for the initial titles after being introduced to this author a few years back. I have ordered some from overseas but with Simon & Schuster now his publisher the releases in England and the U.S. are closer in time.
Colin Andrews
Nov 13, 2011 Colin Andrews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the feeling in some of his recent books that Michael was moving away from murder mystery towards political intrigue. This latest book has both in abundance, with some clever twists in the narrative - like who eventually ends up with the King's Gold!
Carol
Jul 07, 2011 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again a brilliant book with a wicked plot, cant wait for the next one.
Lucinda
Mar 23, 2012 Lucinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the second in a collection of works by Micheal Jecks that i have on my bookshelf, with the other being "The Oath" however i do realise that it is an installment within an epic series that expands out to 30 volumes! I adore historical ficiton as i am also a lover of authors such as C.J Sansom and Robyn Young and i can easily say that personally i feel just as passionate & enthusiastic about Micheal Jecks as i am about the others. This tale was truly gripping from begining to end ...more
Michael Jecks
Jan 27, 2012 Michael Jecks rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own
As the year 1326 draws to a close, London is in flames. King Edward II is a prisoner - and his guards are Sir Baldwin de Furnshill and bailiff Simon Puttock. Their loyalties are torn, and soon they find themselves entangled in a tightening net of conspiracy, greed, betrayal and murder.

This story was the end of the trilogy that covered the end of King Edward II's reign, taking us to the time when the King was forced to abdicate and the plots that were thought up to rescue him and return him to hi
Marie
Another good solid novel in this series. I did find the continual narrative jumping of perpective at the beginning a bit disconcerting. Although I like, and want, the accurate historical context, I think it swamped the mystery storyline. This is more a historical novel not a historical mystery. The last third certainly picked up. Lastly a bit of moaning, I know they would have been popular names but all the 'R's" got a bit confusing at times, -Sir Richard, Sir Ranulf, Sir Ralph, Sir Roger.
patricia
Dec 16, 2011 patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a little harder to get into then some of the others, King's Gold by Michael Jecks has not disappointed. It is like reading a continuing saga. The history behind the story of Baldwin and Simon is fascinating. In this century the Black death strikes, the world experiences a rebirth. Of course it takes England a liile longer to have the Renaissance arrive. I did love it as I read on. What's next for Baldwin, Simon, and England herself? I can't wait to find out.
M.J. Webb
Just couldn't get into this one. Too many characters with weird names and a slow plot. Shame.
Jayne Leake
Jan 12, 2013 Jayne Leake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a big fan of Michael Jecks since reading his first book, The Last Templar. Having read all of the books in the series, I can only say that the adventures of Sir Baldwin Furnshill and Simon Puttock have kept me entertained with each successive book. Mr. Jeck's attempts to keep to the authenticity of the time period is to be commended. The books offer a mystery/history buff some very entertaining reads.
Inez
Jan 06, 2012 Inez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edward III rules, while his father, the former King Edward II is held prisoner. When an attempt is made to rescue him, his jailers fear it may be an attempt on his life. Edward's fear is that the danger may lie with those who are supposed to be protecting him, and he requests that Sir Baldwin and Simon be called into service.
Cori Sherman North
The page or two focus on different people in their settings drove me Crazy--there was no need to skip around in the story so much. Never got a chance to settle in and get to know the characters. At least the author didn't try to leave at a cliffhanger every single time, ala Dan Brown...
Carolyne
Jan 29, 2012 Carolyne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The storyline was a little all over the place and took a fair bit of working out as you were reading, which in my opinion distracted you from what was actually going on.
Not a bad book, though I think that the story line could of been a little more flowing.
Stephen
May 11, 2012 Stephen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
was an okay read felt could of been shorter though not one of the best historical fiction have read but just felt this book was missing a little something
Janet H
Aug 22, 2013 Janet H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another excellent blend of mystery and historical fiction from Jecks. The only problem I have with his books is that they end too soon!
Spencer Warner
One of the most dull books I've ever read, to be honest I can't think why because I love my historical fiction, I just found it so tedious
Linda Murray
Jul 04, 2011 Linda Murray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of series that I've read. So many sub-plots were disconcerting at first,but Ienjoyed the book and will read the series.
James Krauss
Jan 01, 2015 James Krauss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book keeps you on the edge all the way to the end. Very enjoyable and I did not want to put it down.
Veronica
Aug 11, 2012 Veronica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy reading this series. A well crafted plot with great characters!!
Ian Hopkins
Ian Hopkins is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2016
Sarah Williams
Sarah Williams marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Tara Bittner
Tara Bittner rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Kathryn Ross
Kathryn Ross rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Mary Emmanuelle LLenos
Mary Emmanuelle LLenos marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Joannie Nedwreski
Joannie Nedwreski is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Luisa
Luisa rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
mixal
mixal rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2016
  • The Awful Secret (Crowner John Mystery #4)
  • The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)
  • Remedy For Treason (Chronicles Of Issac Of Girona, #1)
  • The Blooding (Matthew Hawkwood, #5)
  • The Sword of Shame (The Medieval Murderers, #2)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)
  • The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)