Start by marking “Empire of Night (Vampirates, #5)” as Want to Read:
Empire of Night (Vampirates, #5)

Empire of Night (Vampirates #5)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  1,466 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Sidorio, fuelled by grief and revenge, is intent on becoming King of the Vampirates and building a new empire to bring terror to the oceans. He faces growing opposition from both the Pirate Federation, including Vampirate Assassin Cheng Li, and the Nocturnals - the more benign vampirate realm - led by Mosh Zu and Lorcan Furey. Both the pirates and the Nocturnals are forced ...more
Published March 4th 2010 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Empire of Night, please sign up.

Richard Callender she is not stupid. she is just confused because she is chartering unknown waters. she is a dhampir and she doesn't fully understand what that means.…moreshe is not stupid. she is just confused because she is chartering unknown waters. she is a dhampir and she doesn't fully understand what that means. For someone who has now found out she is half vampire half mortal she is being smart.
(less)

Molly
Vampirates Empire of Night was a thrilling 5th installemnt in the Vampirate Series. It is by far the most brilliantly written book but is the most durastic and character changing. It is also a whole lot darker than the previous books and has a more intense mindset. Although it may be a bit more stressful it creates a very high standard for all of his books to come. I am extremely eager to see what becomes of his next book and all the twists and turns he has. Overall, definitly a must read. :)
Christina
Noooooooooooo! Justin Somper why do you torture us so?!
Spoiler alert. Don't read any further unless you want to go smack your head against the wall.

Ok, so Grace and Connor are invited to the dark side by Sidorio and his not-dead wife Lady Lockwood. The pirates want a spy so they send Connor, who is still trying to come to grips with his true self. The Vampirates on the Nocturne, now known as the Nocturnals, send Grace for the same reason.
Unbeknownst to either of the twins, the food that they a
Ashley Brooke
Had you told me Sidorio would become a family man after my original introduction to the Vampirates series, I would have bet you ten bucks you were wrong. Then, upon reading 'Empire of Night', you would be ten bucks richer. I'm usually pretty good at guessing plots, but this book kept surprising me!

Let's talk character development... So good. In fact, it was so good that I found myself talking to the book-- scolding characters for their actions, asking why they were doing this, or how they could
Karyn
Apr 11, 2010 Karyn rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Karyn by: A student
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
Quick review for now, and I might do a fuller one later.

*** Some spoilers from earlier books ***

I think I've given most of the books in this series a 3.5. It's not a great series, but it's steadily entertaining and I do enjoy it.

But I'm not bumping this one because everyone kind of irritated me in this book. And, yes, I do know that, for Connor and Grace at least, there's the fact that (view spoiler), and it has been established befo
Alex Mortensen
Chelsea Gouin
What happened to this sereis? The first 3 books were refreshingly original filled with action, romance, and a touch of intrigue. Then we find ourselves at book 5, Empire of Night. Gone is everything we were made to believe about every character. Level-headed Grace abandons her ideals as soon as a pretty boy blinks his eyelashes her way. What happened to that slow-build with Lorcan? Apparently Cheng Li is having similiar feelings...even though she hates Vampirates. Connor hated them too, remember ...more
Hawkeye
Grace and Connor are twins who's father has died and were shipwrecked while escaping their small coastal hometown during a terrible storm. The siblings were separated during the storm and Connor was rescued by a pirate ship and Grace was picked up by the Vampirates- the undead, who need blood to survive.

Book 5- "Empire of Night" begins with the marriage of Sidioro and Lola (that had begun at the end of Book 4 and had a sudden turn of events) who are renegade vampirates and threaten not only the
Empire of Night is the 5th book in the vampirates series so I'm going to assume that if you're reading this review you've already read the first 4 books, therefore although this review will be spoiler free for Empire of Night it will mention events from the earlier books. You have been warned! If you haven't started this series yet then I'd highly recommend getting hold of a copy of Demons of the Ocean asap.

I've mentioned in previous reviews how much I love this series but trust me the stakes ha
Jodi
Although this novel brought some very necessary pieces into into the story, it took far too long for the story to move. Connor and Grace are both guests of Sidorio and Lola both learning about their dhamphir side and being double agents. But it doesn't go as expected. Both experience blood hunger only Grace is not frightened by it, only by how she acted. Connor is appalled at what he is becoming. Meanwhile, the pirates are being destroyed by the Vampirates and the "old" Vampirates, Lorcan Furey ...more
Gabrielle
It took me a while to really get into this book for some reason. There was a lot of building up to finally get to the action, and the action is one of the main reasons I've been so into the Vampirates series, so I think that's one of the reasons why it wasn't really a rapid page-turner for me until half way through the book. I must admit, I don't think that this was one of my favorite books in the series, but I do think that it's definitely worth reading. There was a lot of suspense throughout t ...more
Elizabeth *Swords for Fighting*
Empire of Night is an exciting installment in the Vampirates series. After reading the fourth book, Black Heart, many months ago, it was fun to get back into the world of Vampirates. This one does seem to be darker than the previous books with more deaths and difficult life choices to make.

Empire of Night is mainly about Grace and Connor spying on the main villian, Sidorio, by living on his ships. Since Sidorio is actually their father, the twins do lose focus at times. Grace and Connor learn mo
Jadewik
This book was the fifth in the young adult series of Somper's "Vampirates". The book continues the story of Twins Grace and Connor Tempest as they live with the discovery of their parentage.

I hate to admit it, but I was bored with this book. I was also a little disappointed where Somper went with the story seeing as the last book ended with some great action to be had! ... or so I thought. I've enjoyed all the other Vampirate books to date; and while I enjoyed reading this one, so far as the sto
Justin George
This was a very good book with nice twists. This book starts of with Connor and Grace going to the ships of the two vampirates. They are sent to spy and see what the plans of the ships are. They are gone for a few weeks and they on Connors ship they decide they are attacking an actual ship. The first few attacks are successful but the t4Th is not. They are ambushed and hurt. Then we find out a lutenant on the vampirate ship is actually on the other side they get mad. The book ends with people ma ...more
Danny
After finding out that Connor was actually Sidorio's (a rebel vampirate) son, I am surprised and excited to see what happens next. This makes Connor a dhampir, a half-mortal and half-vampirate. Since Captain Li and her crew on The Tiger are trying to find ways to kill vampirates, Captain Li has decided to let Connor reunite with Sidorio with one job: to spy on the vampirates. This is easier said than done. While Connor is on Sidorio's ship The Blood Captain, Sidorio and his second wife (Lady Loc ...more
Tanya
I have to admit that I have had the opportunity to enjoy listening to the other books in this series rather that reading them because of my travel schedule in my car. However, this one I purchased while in the UK as it had come out in April and I was there in May. The US release date was not set until October and there was no way I was waiting. I am actually glad I did purchase it, besides that I read most of it in the airport and on the flight; but, it was never released on audio.

I am currentl
Tombraiderka009
"Imperium Nocy" czytało mi się z wielką przyjemnością, szybko i bardzo ciekawie. Było szokująco, przerażająco, smutno i wesoło. Było wiele do płakania oraz niesamowitych wydarzeń. Szybko zabieram się za ostatnią, niestety, część. Ocena: 10/10
Fatima
It was just awesome.Grace is too clever .Conor is very strong. Poor sidrio grace and connor left him.
Johnny is a big joker and stukely too
Izandra Mascarenhas
O livro foi uma viagem total, e dessa vez, não dá pra engolir que os personagens são adolescentes.
Denise
I like this series but one thing bothers me and is always on the edge of my mind while I am reading them. This book is set in the future by there are no real communications between the ships and the ships I picture in my mind are of the the past. Tall ships, wooden and majestic. The clothes they wear seem to be from the past also. It just confuses me and I try and ignore it.

It just seems it should have been set in a different time period. Or the situation of no communication or technology shoul
Ashley
I loved this book, but it is getting a little off the wall. Some parts are so ridiculous I roll my eyes, and other parts are pure awesomeness. This book is a good quick read and really gives insight into the true nature of Sidorio and Lola. While the developement of Grace is awkward and doesn't make much sense we still get to see another side to the seeminly angelic girl. Connor is by far the character that seems to stay true to himself. The settings in the story are, as always, awesome and real ...more
Stephanie
I wasn't thrilled with this one. Connor and Grace spend so much time lying to people that it makes them really unpleasant to read about, and I honestly had no idea whether I still wanted to root for them or not.

A lot of stuff happens in this one, but not a lot of it contributes to the overall plot of the series. I found myself skimming a lot because so much of it was uninteresting.

If you didn't like "Black Heart," then don't bother reading this one, unless you're like me and want to finish serie
Everley Sharp, the Clankinist
Barbara
LLL is deliciously wicked and plays Sid like a violin. Oddly enough, I do believe she does love him. Sid is showing a more human side which makes him a better person. Johnny is still Johnny but he shows a more loving side other than just a guys who's at the wrong place, at the wrong time. Grace, you finally grew strong. It was an absolute delight to see all the characters grow. Mr. Somper did an outstanding job. Book was well worth the wait.
Jeff Ohren
One day I was joking around and explaining to someone how I could predict the next hit novel. The formula was easy: pirates are popular, vampires are popular, so a book about vampire pirates (and yes, I even thought of the term vampirates before looking to see if it had been used before)was sure to be a smash hit! Granted, this is for a younger audience, so unless you are going to buy it at your elementary school book fair, don't bother.
Melanie
I think I need to go back and read books 1-4 again. I remember really liking them. But this book was a serious disappointment. I found the writing to be juvenile, over-dramatic and forced, and the storyline was weak. I feel that this entire story could have been condensed and fit well within a more engaging plot. I think there could have been significant more plot built around Obsidian Darke.
Marisa
I just wasn't as interested in this book. I didn't like how Grace's character changed. I wanted her relationship with Lorcan to progress, but instead they were seperated for most of the book. A lot of people died this time around, some it was time, but others are hard to let go. I can't wait to see what the sixth book has in store.
Did you like it? 10 10 Jun 11, 2013 03:27PM
  • Demon Games (Changeling, #4)
  • Blackwatch (Wintercraft, #2)
  • Reckoning (Bloodline, #2)
  • Midnight Secretary, Vol. 05 (Midnight Secretary, #5)
  • The Princetta
  • Grave Secrets
  • An Angel in the Family
  • Time Quake (The Gideon Trilogy, #3)
  • Air Keep (Farworld, #3)
  • Cave of the Dark Wind (Never Land, #2)
  • Blue Flame (Perfect Fire Trilogy, #1)
  • My Swordhand is Singing (My Swordhand is Singing, #1)
  • Dragon on Trial (Menagerie, #2)
  • Rapture of the Deep: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Soldier, Sailor, Mermaid, Spy (Bloody Jack, #7)
  • The Mist of Quarry Harbor
  • Imprints (Autumn Rain, #1)
  • Dead on Target (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #1)
  • Demon Love Spell, Vol. 2
Justin Somper is a bestselling UK author whose Vampirates books have been translated into over twenty languages. Justin trained in sword-fighting to help him write the fight scenes in the Vampirates series.
More about Justin Somper...

Vampirates (7 books)
  • Demons of the Ocean (Vampirates, #1)
  • Dead Deep (Vampirates, #1.5)
  • Tide of Terror (Vampirates, #2)
  • Blood Captain (Vampirates, #3)
  • Black Heart (Vampirates, #4)
  • Immortal War (Vampirates, #6)
Demons of the Ocean (Vampirates, #1) Tide of Terror (Vampirates, #2) Blood Captain (Vampirates, #3) Black Heart (Vampirates, #4) Immortal War (Vampirates, #6)