Start by marking “Empire of Night (Vampirates, #5)” as Want to Read:
Empire of Night (Vampirates, #5)

Empire of Night (Vampirates #5)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  1,860 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Sidorio, fuelled by grief and revenge, is intent on becoming King of the Vampirates and building a new empire to bring terror to the oceans. He faces growing opposition from both the Pirate Federation, including Vampirate Assassin Cheng Li, and the Nocturnals - the more benign vampirate realm - led by Mosh Zu and Lorcan Furey. Both the pirates and the Nocturnals are forced ...more
Published March 4th 2010 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Empire of Night, please sign up.

Richard Callender she is not stupid. she is just confused because she is chartering unknown waters. she is a dhampir and she doesn't fully understand what that means.…moreshe is not stupid. she is just confused because she is chartering unknown waters. she is a dhampir and she doesn't fully understand what that means. For someone who has now found out she is half vampire half mortal she is being smart.
(less)

Molly
Mar 23, 2010 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vampirates Empire of Night was a thrilling 5th installemnt in the Vampirate Series. It is by far the most brilliantly written book but is the most durastic and character changing. It is also a whole lot darker than the previous books and has a more intense mindset. Although it may be a bit more stressful it creates a very high standard for all of his books to come. I am extremely eager to see what becomes of his next book and all the twists and turns he has. Overall, definitly a must read. :)
Christina
Jan 06, 2010 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Noooooooooooo! Justin Somper why do you torture us so?!
Spoiler alert. Don't read any further unless you want to go smack your head against the wall.

Ok, so Grace and Connor are invited to the dark side by Sidorio and his not-dead wife Lady Lockwood. The pirates want a spy so they send Connor, who is still trying to come to grips with his true self. The Vampirates on the Nocturne, now known as the Nocturnals, send Grace for the same reason.
Unbeknownst to either of the twins, the food that they a
Ashley Brooke
Jun 28, 2010 Ashley Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had you told me Sidorio would become a family man after my original introduction to the Vampirates series, I would have bet you ten bucks you were wrong. Then, upon reading 'Empire of Night', you would be ten bucks richer. I'm usually pretty good at guessing plots, but this book kept surprising me!

Let's talk character development... So good. In fact, it was so good that I found myself talking to the book-- scolding characters for their actions, asking why they were doing this, or how they could
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
Quick review for now, and I might do a fuller one later.

*** Some spoilers from earlier books ***

I think I've given most of the books in this series a 3.5. It's not a great series, but it's steadily entertaining and I do enjoy it.

But I'm not bumping this one because everyone kind of irritated me in this book. And, yes, I do know that, for Connor and Grace at least, there's the fact that (view spoiler), and it has been established befo
Alex Mortensen
May 30, 2010 Alex Mortensen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karyn
Apr 11, 2010 Karyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Karyn by: A student
Rosina
Oct 20, 2016 Rosina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
It's been a good few years since I read any of these and this foray back into the series didn't get me as excited as I'd have liked.

The book itself wasn't bad. There were some really heartfelt moments and there are some really interesting characters. The world building was good as always and plot was interesting. Generally you're not going to dislike the book.

My main problem is Grace's love triangle. I've loved her and Lorcan since the beginning and having a is it gonna be Johnny or Lorcan. As s
Empire of Night is the 5th book in the vampirates series so I'm going to assume that if you're reading this review you've already read the first 4 books, therefore although this review will be spoiler free for Empire of Night it will mention events from the earlier books. You have been warned! If you haven't started this series yet then I'd highly recommend getting hold of a copy of Demons of the Ocean asap.

I've mentioned in previous reviews how much I love this series but trust me the stakes ha
Hawkeye
Jan 21, 2011 Hawkeye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grace and Connor are twins who's father has died and were shipwrecked while escaping their small coastal hometown during a terrible storm. The siblings were separated during the storm and Connor was rescued by a pirate ship and Grace was picked up by the Vampirates- the undead, who need blood to survive.

Book 5- "Empire of Night" begins with the marriage of Sidioro and Lola (that had begun at the end of Book 4 and had a sudden turn of events) who are renegade vampirates and threaten not only the
Bắp Đậu
Mar 11, 2015 Bắp Đậu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
rating: 3.9
Khá là thích tập này, tác giả bộ truyện luôn có những tình tiết hay giữ mạch truyện lôi cuốn.
Có điều mình vẫn thấy có vài chỗ rất bất hợp lý rất khó chịu khi đọc.
Theo như sách thì truyện được viết vào thế kỷ 26 mà mình đọc thì như thế kỷ 16: không điện thoại, không đồ công nghệ, trang phục,... trông chẳng giống một thế giới của tương lai chút nào. Nhiều khi mình tự hỏi tác giả có khi nào đã ghi nhầm năm.
Thứ hai, mình không hiểu làm cái thế quái nào mà cướp biển trong thời đại đó có t
Jadewik
This book was the fifth in the young adult series of Somper's "Vampirates". The book continues the story of Twins Grace and Connor Tempest as they live with the discovery of their parentage.

I hate to admit it, but I was bored with this book. I was also a little disappointed where Somper went with the story seeing as the last book ended with some great action to be had! ... or so I thought. I've enjoyed all the other Vampirate books to date; and while I enjoyed reading this one, so far as the sto
Elizabeth *Swords for Fighting*
Empire of Night is an exciting installment in the Vampirates series. After reading the fourth book, Black Heart, many months ago, it was fun to get back into the world of Vampirates. This one does seem to be darker than the previous books with more deaths and difficult life choices to make.

Empire of Night is mainly about Grace and Connor spying on the main villian, Sidorio, by living on his ships. Since Sidorio is actually their father, the twins do lose focus at times. Grace and Connor learn mo
Jodi
Jun 12, 2011 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-read
Although this novel brought some very necessary pieces into into the story, it took far too long for the story to move. Connor and Grace are both guests of Sidorio and Lola both learning about their dhamphir side and being double agents. But it doesn't go as expected. Both experience blood hunger only Grace is not frightened by it, only by how she acted. Connor is appalled at what he is becoming. Meanwhile, the pirates are being destroyed by the Vampirates and the "old" Vampirates, Lorcan Furey ...more
Gabrielle
Aug 01, 2012 Gabrielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to really get into this book for some reason. There was a lot of building up to finally get to the action, and the action is one of the main reasons I've been so into the Vampirates series, so I think that's one of the reasons why it wasn't really a rapid page-turner for me until half way through the book. I must admit, I don't think that this was one of my favorite books in the series, but I do think that it's definitely worth reading. There was a lot of suspense throughout t ...more
Chelsea Gouin
Jul 20, 2012 Chelsea Gouin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
What happened to this sereis? The first 3 books were refreshingly original filled with action, romance, and a touch of intrigue. Then we find ourselves at book 5, Empire of Night. Gone is everything we were made to believe about every character. Level-headed Grace abandons her ideals as soon as a pretty boy blinks his eyelashes her way. What happened to that slow-build with Lorcan? Apparently Cheng Li is having similiar feelings...even though she hates Vampirates. Connor hated them too, remember ...more
Danny
Jan 23, 2011 Danny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After finding out that Connor was actually Sidorio's (a rebel vampirate) son, I am surprised and excited to see what happens next. This makes Connor a dhampir, a half-mortal and half-vampirate. Since Captain Li and her crew on The Tiger are trying to find ways to kill vampirates, Captain Li has decided to let Connor reunite with Sidorio with one job: to spy on the vampirates. This is easier said than done. While Connor is on Sidorio's ship The Blood Captain, Sidorio and his second wife (Lady Loc ...more
Tanya
Feb 06, 2012 Tanya rated it it was amazing
I have to admit that I have had the opportunity to enjoy listening to the other books in this series rather that reading them because of my travel schedule in my car. However, this one I purchased while in the UK as it had come out in April and I was there in May. The US release date was not set until October and there was no way I was waiting. I am actually glad I did purchase it, besides that I read most of it in the airport and on the flight; but, it was never released on audio.

I am currentl
Cody
Apr 25, 2016 Cody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After Grace and Connor find out that Sidorio is their father they get invitations. To join him and his wife for a bit they both go to spy. While Connor talks to a fishtail like a mermaid to give the information and Grace does her spiritual visit. While they stay though they are being feed blood in secret to rise their hunger but Grace starts to fall for johnny. Connor gets use to being with hi sold pal but he has to let a ship get attacked to keep his cover. After a while the next ship is the ti ...more
Stephanie
I wasn't thrilled with this one. Connor and Grace spend so much time lying to people that it makes them really unpleasant to read about, and I honestly had no idea whether I still wanted to root for them or not.

A lot of stuff happens in this one, but not a lot of it contributes to the overall plot of the series. I found myself skimming a lot because so much of it was uninteresting.

If you didn't like "Black Heart," then don't bother reading this one, unless you're like me and want to finish serie
Ashley
Jun 30, 2011 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, but it is getting a little off the wall. Some parts are so ridiculous I roll my eyes, and other parts are pure awesomeness. This book is a good quick read and really gives insight into the true nature of Sidorio and Lola. While the developement of Grace is awkward and doesn't make much sense we still get to see another side to the seeminly angelic girl. Connor is by far the character that seems to stay true to himself. The settings in the story are, as always, awesome and real ...more
Justin George
May 22, 2014 Justin George rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book with nice twists. This book starts of with Connor and Grace going to the ships of the two vampirates. They are sent to spy and see what the plans of the ships are. They are gone for a few weeks and they on Connors ship they decide they are attacking an actual ship. The first few attacks are successful but the t4Th is not. They are ambushed and hurt. Then we find out a lutenant on the vampirate ship is actually on the other side they get mad. The book ends with people ma ...more
Denise
Oct 15, 2012 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series but one thing bothers me and is always on the edge of my mind while I am reading them. This book is set in the future by there are no real communications between the ships and the ships I picture in my mind are of the the past. Tall ships, wooden and majestic. The clothes they wear seem to be from the past also. It just confuses me and I try and ignore it.

It just seems it should have been set in a different time period. Or the situation of no communication or technology shoul
Barbara
Oct 26, 2010 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LLL is deliciously wicked and plays Sid like a violin. Oddly enough, I do believe she does love him. Sid is showing a more human side which makes him a better person. Johnny is still Johnny but he shows a more loving side other than just a guys who's at the wrong place, at the wrong time. Grace, you finally grew strong. It was an absolute delight to see all the characters grow. Mr. Somper did an outstanding job. Book was well worth the wait.
Captain Fox
This book seemed to drag on a bit more than the others, and was determined to rip any happiness from me. What with (view spoiler) and all that.
But the man named Darke, that was a very pleasant twist that made me like this book more; but I am still very suspicious of Mosh Zu, there is something he is hiding and I do not like it. An evil wind blows this way.
Sam West
Jan 26, 2016 Sam West rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strong continuation in the series as its built to its penultimate conclusion where our main characters, and there are many at this point, struggle against paranormal adversity that really envelopes the reader. Having been invested in the series for a great deal of time, it was quite the experience to look back at how far the characters have come and the new twists that they come up against, especially when learning more about their own pasts.
Amy Bradley
Jun 25, 2016 Amy Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
trigger warning: addiction (not traditional substances, but addiction all the same)

Grace and Connor have discovered their heritage, and are sent to spy on Sidorio and Lola. What seemed simple and straightforward becomes anything but as they are covertly fed blood and showered with affection by both vampirate captains.

More emotional and somewhat darker than the previous novels, as Grace is essentially tackling issues of addiction.
Everley Sharp, the Clankinist
Jeff Ohren
Mar 27, 2012 Jeff Ohren rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One day I was joking around and explaining to someone how I could predict the next hit novel. The formula was easy: pirates are popular, vampires are popular, so a book about vampire pirates (and yes, I even thought of the term vampirates before looking to see if it had been used before)was sure to be a smash hit! Granted, this is for a younger audience, so unless you are going to buy it at your elementary school book fair, don't bother.
I just wasn't as interested in this book. I didn't like how Grace's character changed. I wanted her relationship with Lorcan to progress, but instead they were seperated for most of the book. A lot of people died this time around, some it was time, but others are hard to let go. I can't wait to see what the sixth book has in store.
Melanie
I think I need to go back and read books 1-4 again. I remember really liking them. But this book was a serious disappointment. I found the writing to be juvenile, over-dramatic and forced, and the storyline was weak. I feel that this entire story could have been condensed and fit well within a more engaging plot. I think there could have been significant more plot built around Obsidian Darke.
Did you like it? 10 10 Jun 11, 2013 03:27PM
  • Demon Games (Changeling, #4)
  • Air Keep (Farworld, #3)
  • Vampire Haiku
  • Blackwatch (Wintercraft, #2)
  • Midnight Secretary, Vol. 05 (Midnight Secretary, #5)
  • The Lazarus Plot (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #4)
  • Reckoning (Bloodline, #2)
  • The Princetta
  • Piratica: Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas (Piratica, #1)
  • If I Could Fly
  • Grave Secrets
  • The Autumn Palace (Ondine #2)
  • Demon Love Spell, Vol. 6
  • Tigerheart
  • The Crowfield Demon (Crowfield Abbey, #2)
  • Vampire
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 4
  • The Turning Tide (Pirates of the Caribbean: Legends of the Brethren Court #3)
Justin Somper is a bestselling UK author whose Vampirates books have been translated into over twenty languages. Justin trained in sword-fighting to help him write the fight scenes in the Vampirates series.
More about Justin Somper...

Vampirates (7 books)
  • Demons of the Ocean (Vampirates, #1)
  • Dead Deep (Vampirates, #1.5)
  • Tide of Terror (Vampirates, #2)
  • Blood Captain (Vampirates, #3)
  • Black Heart (Vampirates, #4)
  • Immortal War (Vampirates, #6)