Start by marking “Slow Lie Detector” as Want to Read:
Slow Lie Detector

Slow Lie Detector

4.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  32 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Slow Lie Detector, a story of love and filmmaking in the heart of Death Valley, is a glimpse into the fevered career of itinerant auteur Maximilian Echs and his nurse and accidental heroine as they traverse a harrowing psychic territory, searching an ever-shifting perceptual landscape for something like a perfect ending.
Published August 1st 2009 by Equator Books Publishing (first published October 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Slow Lie Detector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow Lie Detector

Les
Aug 13, 2009 Les rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: all men women and children
Best book in the whole wide world!
Lori
Oct 15, 2010 Lori rated it really liked it
Review copy from author/Signed

I wasn't always sure where this book was headed, what the characters were doing, or even what their purpose was... But I loved the ebb and flow, and the amazing sentence structure. Les Plesko's chapters were a short page and a half each, the words woven together so fluidly that I had finished reading the novel before I had even really begun.

The cover caught a lot of attention. I was reading it at the gym while my kids were practicing their Jiu Jitsu, and though I re
Janet
May 05, 2014 Janet rated it it was amazing
Les Plesko died on Monday and I'm rereading all his books--Slow Lie Detector's the second one, with a far sparer poetry than the Last Bongo Sunset and extremely beautiful in its own way. Pared to the bone, they're scenes from a non-existent movie, something that should have been shot by Antonioni in the high desert of Southern California, a love story in the ultimate Plesko sense, where it's a half-bleached out film, a set of polaroids and you have to enter that world to see past the edges. Beau ...more
Ara
Aug 18, 2009 Ara rated it it was amazing
writing with hidden undertones, messages, lives. we all have a darwin in our head. awesome work by an awesome guy. loved it.
Dana
Jan 24, 2010 Dana rated it it was amazing
An odd story of odd people. An odd love story of odd people -- just like you and me.
Pam Alster
Sep 24, 2013 Pam Alster rated it it was amazing
This book is so cinematic. I loved it. I saw every brush stroke.
Allan MacDonell
Dec 05, 2015 Allan MacDonell rated it it was amazing
Broken into chapters of a uniform, concise length, Les Plesko’s Slow Lie Detector, a romantic tragedy set in rootless poverty, can be finished in time for lunch. This is a road story along the artist’s way. No pot of money or triumph of achievement awaits at the dark end of that street. A ride along is safe enough, Plesko seems to be saying, but commit to this route at your own risk.
Gilian
Jun 11, 2012 Gilian rated it it was amazing
Beautiful poetry, but lots of empty space.
Paige Baselice
Paige Baselice marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Denise
Denise added it
Jun 06, 2016
Paul-André
Paul-André marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Tammuz
Tammuz marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Casey Whitford
Casey Whitford marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Kevin Wright
Kevin Wright marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Annette
Annette rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2015
Sean Johnston
Sean Johnston marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Luffle
Luffle rated it it was ok
Dec 02, 2014
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2014
Shreshtha Kanojia
Shreshtha Kanojia marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Damir
Damir marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Resa Alboher
Resa Alboher marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Floyce Alexander
Floyce Alexander marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
kendra
kendra marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Jen
Jen added it
Sep 11, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
My new book, Who I Was, is now available through Small World Books in Venice, CA, on amazon (type my name) or by visiting blog.whoiwasthebook.com.
More about Les Plesko...