Start by marking “Horror Business” as Want to Read:
Horror Business

Horror Business

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  30 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Armed with a passion for classic B-grade horror movies, a script co-written by his twin brother, and a wicked crush on his death-obsessed neighbor; hardcore horror fan Jason Nightshade must finish his student film.

But his plans are derailed when the children of suburban Silver Creek start disappearing – his twin brother among them. Battling a possessed video camera, a craz
Published 2009 by self-published

To ask other readers questions about Horror Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horror Business

Keith
Apr 14, 2015 Keith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you read through the reviews for Horror Business, you'll see a lot of commentary to the effect of "Oh! That was good! And...I don't know what that was, I think! But...good?"

It's sort of like when I would show my mother the poetry I wrote as a teenager. She tried so hard to be supportive, but there's only so much you can do when your son is writing about horror, sex, and boobs.

Horror Business is actually exactly a lot like that. It's classified as YA, but it's YA like how in the years I was su
Matt Lewis
Feb 15, 2016 Matt Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: locals, horror
It's unfortunate that so many people are quick to dismiss YA as 'immature' or somehow lacking compared to ordinary 'fiction'. What books like this do is illustrate the point that YA can be as gruesome, disturbing and unsettling as anything in other parts of literature, with the only difference being that the perspective is from that of Young Adults. I can think back to reading Fear Street books that accomplished this, and often these kind of titles open up a whole new audience to horror, crime f ...more
Jennifer Bardsley
Sometimes the scariest thing in a fourteen-year-old’s life is loneliness. Horror Business, by Ryan Craig Bradford, tells the story of Jason Nightengale whose twin brother Brian went missing over a year ago. Brian’s not the only kid absent from the small town of Silver Creek, and nobody knows what to do, least of all Mr. and Mrs. Nightingale.

Obsessed with horror movies, Jason continues to shoot the slasher movie he and his brother wrote together, staring Brian’s girlfriend Ally. But the script is
Julia
Dec 16, 2015 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I found this book strange, scary, and absolutely lovely all at the same time. Because horror is a genre that I do not have a good handle on, I can't say much about the horror elements, except to say that it all worked for me. But, from a literature standpoint, there's so much good stuff in here.

The characters are rich: both endearing and frustrating at the same time. I love that everyone is so real, coping in very different and very legitimate ways with some very unreal situations. Particularly
Jesse
Apr 03, 2012 Jesse rated it liked it
This book was quite different from other horror books I've read. It had elements of a ghost story, a zombie tale, and a slasher. It was kind of fun how he'd switch between all those elements.

Although out of all of the different styles of horror going on my favorite parts by far were the ones about the boy's dog. Those ones definitely gave me the creeps.

My biggest complaint though is that while it does play around with elements from multiple genres, I didn't feel that the majority of those elemen
Jake
Dec 18, 2011 Jake rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
What's great about Bradford's style is that he makes use of certain criteria so that you feel as though your high school friend is reminiscing about a past event the two of you shared, bringing up the good, the bad, and the ugly, but most of all, the brutal feeling of being young. I thought Horror Business did a great job of implementing a creative style around a spooky story and making it seem just as tense and unpredictable as a cheesy 80's slash film (the kind you used to watch at sleepovers) ...more
Erika Messer
Feb 11, 2015 Erika Messer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book, I literally could NOT put it down once I started reading it. So totally unique and different from anything I have ever read - Jason and his twin brother are obsessed with horror and they are writing a script but when young kids start to go missing and Jason's twin disappears, he has to deal with the reality of horror instead of just being in a script. And it's not just the kids missing; the dog is so amazing to me and reminded me of Pet Semetary but without the dying an ...more
Bri
What I liked: This book had several moments where the horror was played well into the story and actually made the tension big enough that I was almost glued to the page to see what was going to happen. I really liked reading the different parts about the script the brothers had written, it was interesting to see what their mind had come up with to use to make a movie. We even have a few creepy characters who you question and wonder about what their motives and places in the story would be. There ...more
Carrie Ardoin
I'm gonna be honest, I had a hard time even pinning down what this book was truly about. If you're expecting a straightforward horror or thriller story, you're gonna be disappointed.

The story revolves around teenager Jason Nightshade, who's a huge horror movie buff and likes to actually make his own. He shared this passion with his brother, who was abducted. They also shared an interest in the same girl.

Since the loss of his brother, Jason's life has fallen apart. His parents barely acknowledg
Jaime Lester

What an incredibly strange, gory, crazy ride this was! I am a huge fan of all of the old horror flicks. Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Jason.... They are absolutely the scariest, funniest horror movies of all times. Horror Business pays serious tribute to horror fans, and their love of B-Grade horror movies! And I really enjoyed myself!

Jason Nightshade (coolest last name ever!) is our main man. He is in the middle of filming his student film, with the help of the girl he has always crushed
Laura Thomas
Feb 27, 2015 Laura Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jason and his twin brother are into making their own horror films. They are trying to finish the latest when Jason’s brother disappears. He’s just the first.

As more and more teens go missing in Silver Creek, other strange things happen as well. Jason is no longer dealing with botched lines and fake blood. Reality is much scarier and he’ll have to be smart to find his brother and the other missing teens and not become a fatality himself.

Whether reality or fantasy, nothing can be more terrifying t
Keith Cameron
Jan 17, 2013 Keith Cameron rated it really liked it
Horror Business is a very lovingly written book, by somebody who clearly has a lot of passion for the genre. If you share that passion I'd be quite surprised if you don't enjoy this. Charming, unsettling, and the right kind of gross.
Morgue Anne
Jan 26, 2013 Morgue Anne rated it really liked it
You can read my review of 'Horror Business' at

Horror Business made my top reads in 2012!
Christy
This review first appeared on my blog Christy's Cozy Corners.

I like horror movies from time to time....not the slasher type, but the scary type that makes you sit at the edge of your seat and jump a lot. I really wanted to read this based on the description. I thought a lot of the focus would be on making the film. I loved the movie Super 8 and figured this would be a bunch of kids, led by Jason and his brother, making a horror movie, but then horrible stuff (like his brother being taken) would
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

This one sounded like a lot of fun when I first heard about it, especially since I love horror, but it actually wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I do, however, commend it in its uniqueness. I've never read anything like this, so I really liked that!

Another thing I loved about this book was all the horror movie references and trivia. It was a lot of fun, especially the bit when some of my favorites were mentioned (like A Nightmare on Elm Street ! Classic!) or o
Ashley Ferguson
Jul 01, 2015 Ashley Ferguson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review and more can be found at The A P Book Club!

*I received this book from Month9Books, LLC in exchange for an honest review*

I'm not really sure what I was expecting when I started reading Horror Business, but I definitely got something completely unexpected. I mean, I figured it was going to be an intense story with a kid who just cannot catch a break. But the whole book was way...stranger?...than I thought it might be. Which is not necessarily a bad thing!

This book is very much broken
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Melanie Heinrich
Melanie Heinrich marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Philippa
Philippa marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Mat Laporte
Mat Laporte marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Kayla Furnia
Kayla Furnia marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Laura Furuta
Laura Furuta marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Kendra Stegemoller
Kendra Stegemoller marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Cassie Dowell
Cassie Dowell marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Bendisiana
Bendisiana marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Mary Emmanuelle LLenos
Mary Emmanuelle LLenos marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Jessica Allen
Jessica Allen rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Darren Mitton
Darren Mitton marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
  • Back to the Batcave
  • Francois Truffaut
  • The Glenn Gould Reader
  • On the Many Deaths of Amanda Palmer: And the Many Crimes of Tobias James
  • Scorpio's Kiss
  • Leonard Maltin's Classic Movie Guide
  • Forever with You (Starlight Hill, #5)
  • Dark City Dames: The Wicked Women of Film Noir
  • The Art of Cinema
  • Liquid Cool (The Cyberpunk Detective Series)
  • Relentless: The Memoir