Start by marking “Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #1)

Mountain Man (Mountain Man #1)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,882 Ratings  ·  174 Reviews
Boomstick.
Samurai bat.
Motorcycle leather.
And the will to live amongst the unliving.

Augustus Berry lives a day-to-day existence comprised of waking up, getting drunk, and preparing for the inevitable day when "they" will come up the side of his mountain and penetrate his fortress. Living on the outskirts of a city and scavenging for whatever supplies remain after civilizati
Published December 15th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Mountain Man, please sign up.

Jesse Wyatt Could it be called a deus ex machina? I don't know. I'm a fan of the post-apocalyptic genre, and gasoline has to be one of the most widespread…moreCould it be called a deus ex machina? I don't know. I'm a fan of the post-apocalyptic genre, and gasoline has to be one of the most widespread "things" there is. Everything from books to TV and movies.

Just pretend they came up with a new way of preserving gas in the future. The book takes place at least a couple of years after 2025.(less)
World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoThe End by Mark TufoFeed by Mira Grant
Best Zombie Books
112th out of 1,049 books — 2,601 voters
Feed by Mira GrantWorld War Z by Max BrooksRot & Ruin by Jonathan MaberryApocalypse by Rashad FreemanMarried with Zombies by Jesse Petersen
Are YOU Ready For The Zombie Attack?!
33rd out of 292 books — 389 voters

More lists with this book...

Carole (Carole's Random Life)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4 Stars

I was completely entertained by this audiobook. I am giving it 4 stars based completely on the entertainment value of the story. I am a huge fan of The Walking Dead and love a good zombie story. I stumbled upon the short prequel to this series on audible as a freebie,The Hospital: The First Mountain Man Story, and really enjoyed it so I decided to jump right into this book.

Gus has it pretty good during this apocalyptic time. He has a h
Timothy Ward
#8 - Top Ten Reads of 2015 at timothycward.com

I didn't realize when I picked up Mountain Man that it would be exactly the kind of zombie book I was looking for. One of my favorite aspects to zombie stories is the survival nature and how the apocalypse allows those who can make it past the first wave to go out and collect supplies. There is enough in here about scavenging houses and building a fortress to whet my whistle, and in perfect pacing, we get new characters to add to the one I already en
Hudson
Dec 01, 2014 Hudson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Loved the hell out of this book!

I'm a big fan of zombie and post apocalyptic type stories anyway and this was for me an interesting twist on a genre that has really (let's face it) been beaten to death.

I think a part of me really liked the main character in the book as well as his mountain house that he has built in to a fortress. There were some other items in the book that resonated with me as well, namely: (semi spoilers ahead)

- someone shits themselves. I think that might be the first time
David P Forsyth
Mar 05, 2012 David P Forsyth rated it it was amazing
This is one of those rare books that keeps the reader guessing at what will happen next with a knot in your stomach. That is the feeling you have while reading it and the same feeling remains when you finish the last page. Although it is a story in itself, and a great one, you just know that there MUST be a sequel. Other than being open ended, it reminds me of I am Legend in many ways, but this is a modernized and Canadiafied version with a punch. It hits you in the gut and then twists your entr ...more
Bandit
Jun 29, 2014 Bandit rated it really liked it
If you can't do original, do predictable, but do it well. That seems to make sense, particularly when it comes to the overdone to death (pun possibly intended) zombie genre. So instead of throwing some sort of a game changing plot device at the readers, Blackmore just does a solid survivor story. And does it well. At first it took a while to get going (solo alcoholism and solo scavenging are only so much fun to read about), but then it picked up nicely and turned into a very compelling character ...more
Tanja Berg
Okay, I'm done with zombies for a good while now. With the exception of "the Walking Dead" series, possibly.

"Mountain Man" was an absolutely mediocre, testosterone filled take on the post zombie apocalyptic world, adding nothing of interest. The main character Gus has barricaded himself in a house on a hillside outside a small town and lived alone there for two years, since the world zombified. He drinks and hoards supplies.

During one of Gus's hoarding sessions, he saves Scott, who was left fo
Kat
Feb 25, 2012 Kat rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on The Aussie Zombie http://theaussiezombie.blogspot.com

Imagine it – you’re stuck in a mountain cabin, the world is over-run by zombies and you’ve got nothing for company but movies, books and a massive stockpile of alcohol. Yeah I admit it; I’d be taking up the offer of some company in a bottle. So Gus’ reaction is completely human, and understandable. Alcohol is his friend, his escape and his sleeping pill.

Set sometime after 2026, in a world devastated by the zombapocalypse
Brian Jarrett
Mar 13, 2012 Brian Jarrett rated it it was amazing
Keith Blackmore is one of those indie writers Big Publishing let slip through their fingers. This guy can write. The characters are well-developed and very unique; I really grew to care about them. As a unique zombie book, this story focuses more on the human condition than on the zombies themselves. Don't worry; there's more than enough crowded, stinking masses of the undead to go around. And plenty of guns. This is still a zombie novel, after all.

With "Mountain Man" Blackmore masterfully weave
Glinda Harrison
May 28, 2012 Glinda Harrison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombie, apocalyptic
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)

I was provided a copy of this E-book by the Author Keith C. Blackmore in exchange for a review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated in any way for them.

Review:

Gus is a middle aged man living on a mountain trying to keep himself alive and safe after a zombie epidemic sweeps the globe. After spending two years in remote isolation, Gus comes across a badly injured man while on one of his routine scavenging missions. While the man heals the two become friends and with winter fast appro
Alexis Winning
Feb 06, 2012 Alexis Winning rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
Mountain Man is an everyman story. This engaging book tells the story of our troubled hero Gus who is just trying to survive in a world destroyed by the zombie apocalypse.

Keith Blackmore captures the personalities of his characters in an organic and believable way through dialogue and banter that is not forced, and is at times even funny.

Any good zombie book is not about zombies per say, but about the people who are trying to survive and re-establish their humanity, or forget it. Although I do
Netanella
Aug 25, 2013 Netanella rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended story of post-apocalyptic zombie survival that is well-written with engaging, likeable characters, and horrific and terrifying scenes at the same time. Gus is our likeable hero, fortunate enough (depending on your viewpoint here) to have survived the initial outbreak, he finds a modernly-equipped cabin on the side of the mountain and fortifies it against any zombies that might come shambling up the road. His days are spent driving the Beast around the dead town Annapolis, sear ...more
Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
I hate to say this, but this is just one book I cannot finish. There is only so much swearing and ball scratching a girl can take. When the author approached me to read this one I jumped at it, knowing its about zombies. But unfortunately it's just not for me. Mountain Man seems to be more geared to men. Oh and I am not a fan of taking the Lord's name in vain. I told myself when I saw it take place one more time I was done, and it finally got to me come around Chap 5.

Now I will say that the scen
Carolyn F.
Audiobook

Very good audiobook. R.C. Bray did a wonderful job. It was gripping and realistic. Very unwanted ending (view spoiler). I'm planning on listening to the rest of the series.
Sara
Jun 24, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
Liked this enough to add books two and three to wish list....main characters are hapless alcoholic totally endearing very lucky Gus...and Scott the sole survivor of a group of three attacked by a soulless living human..meeting up through pure luck and circumstances,detailing their struggles to survive in the zombie infested area...a steadily paced book with masses of attention paid to detail and bog roll..if you are like me you kind of like a steadier pace sometimes and a creeping sense of somet ...more
Randy Harmelink
Aug 22, 2013 Randy Harmelink rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

So what would you do if you came across the perfect hideout for the zombie apocalypse? Solar power and hot water even. Stock it up. Sure. Try to make it more secure. Sure. But who, if anyone, could you trust to bring back to it? Or how long could you live there alone, without going crazy?

And add to that mix a good bit of zombie action, and you have the perfect zombie apocalypse book.

The writing is very good, and the pages practically turned themselves. It's been a while since I breezed
Jan 06, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I think Gus could've scratched his balls a few more times in the beginning of the book. No really, just one more scratch. If you can get past the repetitious scratching without wondering if Gus has VD in the apocalypse or wondering how often the author might be scratching their own junk, you're in for a very entertaining post apocalyptic zombie story, I couldn't wait to read the next books in the series(which also have a fair amount of scratching, but more evenly spaced out to be a normal occurr ...more
Lon Bixby
Oct 13, 2015 Lon Bixby rated it it was amazing
If you’re going to read only one Zombie book – This is it!

Ok, what to say? First of all I’m not a huge Zombie Fan, kinda over the Zombie craze. BUT I loved this book! I first read the teaser “The Hospital” and I liked it, it enthralled me, and made me want to read book one - “Mountain Man” - Which I could not put it down – I finished it in just a couple of nights. It is well written, the characters are highly developed (and I cared about them), the action scenes (killing zombies) are good, and t
Michael Flores
May 01, 2012 Michael Flores rated it really liked it
This book is pretty well written. Keith C. Blackmore does a good job portraying a survivalist in a world affected by Zombies. It was a bit slow in some parts but it doesn’t detract from the story. The ending was expected, but it was still riveting. Also, high praise for the editor's work on this.
Susu
May 05, 2015 Susu rated it it was amazing
Most zombie books are all about fight, survive, and struggle. This book is brutal, gore, and realistic. A lot of books in this genre don't mention all of the little things in life that we take for granted that would be complete luxuries if found years after an apocalypse.

I really love that Gus and Scott are so common and down to earth. No ex military or special forces, just average Joes who happened to pull through. They are crude, crass, and flawed.

I'm excited I finally pulled this off my shelv
Lorre
Mar 31, 2015 Lorre rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-complete
After reading the prequel The Hospital: The First Mountain Man Story I already liked Gus and after reading this book I like him even more. He might be rough around the edges, drinks way too much but he also has a good heart and it was sad to see how someone took advantage of that goodness and fucked him over big time.

I hope Gus recovers from all what happened near the end of the book! It's not only the zombies you have to cope with but also some living people who'll stop at nothing to take what
Jonathan
Mar 01, 2016 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Yet Another end of the world, apocalyptic, zombies taking over, novel, Mountain Man is the first in a series (currently up to 4 books) set in a bleak, post-outbreak world, where Augustus Berry is just trying to get by. An interesting take on the well worn path of a zombie apocalypse, Blackmore does a pretty good job of setting the world up and moving the story right along.

The best thing about Augustus Berry is that he isn't some kind of superman. Just a regular joe who stumbled upon a perfect hi
Mar 16, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok
Gus has lived in this home in the mountain near a cliff since all hell broke loose two years ago. He is lonely but well stocked in food, water, solar panel, defense mechanism around the house, etc...Oh! and toooo much booze, but he still goes to town to scavenge what he can. While house picking, he finally meet a real person name Scott. Gus and Scott become a team. A short while later, they meet other person who Scott doesn't trust but Gus seem to be more accepting of. It isn't the Zombies Gus a ...more
Tiffany
Mar 02, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
When I was first approached by the author to review this book, I almost declined. Not because of anything I had read about him or his books, but because of this one reason: zombies scare the hell out of me. I can't watch zombie movies because my overactive brain loves to play cruel tricks on my while I sleep. I have never read a zombie book before in fear of that very same reason. But instead of being a scaredy-cat and declining, I decided I had to start somewhere and this might as well be that ...more
Kat (Kindred Dreamheart)
Feb 21, 2012 Kat (Kindred Dreamheart) rated it it was amazing
Thanks to the author for trusting me with an honest review.

After a 48 hour book binge of fairytale love @ 1st sight YA bliss, I began this novel. This was my first real horror novel. I mean, once upon a time, I watched the fright moves and used to LOVE them. Then I got girly, and sort of turned my back on the world of gore.

Welcome to the Zombie apocalyptic world, where Gus, the mountain man, is living on borrowed time, but has out lived the rest of society because he’s smarter then you’d give h
Jorge Lopez
Jan 19, 2016 Jorge Lopez rated it liked it
Shelves: zombies
Entertaining zombie story with a nice pace and likable characters.

Without discovering the wheel, Blackmore has written a pretty decent apocalyptic zombie tale that adds nothing new to the genre except the main character's obsession with toilet paper.

The book is very foreseeable, but the final showdown is very intense and well narrated.

Recommended to fans of the Walking dead and zombie tales.
Allan
Jan 25, 2015 Allan rated it it was amazing
I read a heck of a lot of books. I have to say that this is one of the best I have ever read. Talk about a end of the world book that is realistic if any could be. It's amazing. This copy has the first 2 eBooks in it as one complete volume. You will care for the characters and be shocked and surprised at what they have to go through. This is not just a zombie book by any means and has many twists and turns.
It basically follows 2 men and the trial and tribulations they go through, both when they
Jeff DePew
May 12, 2016 Jeff DePew rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Smart, realistic(if the term applies) zombie book. Gus is a great character. He's on a constant search for supplies, stocking up for the day when THEY will come up the mountain to his reinforced home. His life has become somewhat predictable until one day...
Thia
Jan 22, 2016 Thia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a very good series. It's basically just an every guy who got lucky and found a well supplied hideout after the apocalypse and then has been smart and careful enough to stay alive. There are some very creepy action scenes - very skin crawly - but most of the series is a slow build exploring the daily life and mind of a man who is surviving - mostly alone - alternating between extreme stress and monotony and slowly getting a bit nutty. My other favorite authors are JL Bourne and DJ Molles. ...more
Steven
May 19, 2016 Steven rated it really liked it
I first read the Hospital (#0.5 of the Mountain Man series). I wasn't sure what I thought about it. I had kind of a negative response to the whole thing.

My wife told me I should give it another chance. I think the problem was my initial adjustment to the amount of testosterone injected into the book. It's not something I'm used to. Look at my read list and you'll be like... well yeah duh.

Once I adjusted to that I found myself enjoying the first few chapters and the increasing tension I hadn't r
Apocalypse Whenever: Has anyone read Mountain Man? 8 35 Jan 16, 2016 01:15AM
  • Six days with the Dead
  • Trudge (Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse, #1)
  • Ravage
  • White Flag of The Dead (White Flag of the Dead, #1)
  • The Gathering Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1)
  • 900 Miles (900 Miles #1)
  • Fortress Britain (Arisen, #1)
  • Gehenna (West of Hell #1)
  • Dead: The Ugly Beginning (Dead, #1)
  • Rise
  • No Easy Hope (Surviving the Dead, #1)
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • Omega Days (Omega Days, #1)
  • Dead Drunk: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. One Beer at a Time
  • Year One (Living with the Dead #1-2)
  • Hissers
  • As The World Dies Untold Tales Volume 3
  • Refugees (The Remaining, #3)
Books are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and others.
More about Keith C. Blackmore...

Mountain Man (4 books)
  • Safari (Mountain Man, #2)
  • Hellifax (Mountain Man #3)
  • Well Fed (Mountain Man #4)