Mountain Man

Mountain Man (Mountain Man #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  679 ratings  ·  84 reviews
Boomstick.
Samurai bat.
Motorcycle leather.
And the will to live amongst the unliving.

Augustus Berry lives a day-to-day existence comprised of waking up, getting drunk, and preparing for the inevitable day when "they" will come up the side of his mountain and penetrate his fortress. Living on the outskirts of a city and scavenging for whatever supplies remain after civilizati...more
Published December 15th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Mountain Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mountain Man

World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoZombie Fallout 2 by Mark TufoZombie Fallout 3 by Mark TufoZombie Fallout 4 by Mark Tufo
Best Zombie Books
132nd out of 939 books — 2,213 voters
Feed by Mira GrantWorld War Z by Max BrooksApocalypse by Rashad FreemanMarried With Zombies by Jesse PetersenRot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry
Are YOU Ready For The Zombie Attack?!
33rd out of 206 books — 318 voters

More lists with this book...

David P Forsyth
This is one of those rare books that keeps the reader guessing at what will happen next with a knot in your stomach. That is the feeling you have while reading it and the same feeling remains when you finish the last page. Although it is a story in itself, and a great one, you just know that there MUST be a sequel. Other than being open ended, it reminds me of I am Legend in many ways, but this is a modernized and Canadiafied version with a punch. It hits you in the gut and then twists your entr...more
Bandit
If you can't do original, do predictable, but do it well. That seems to make sense, particularly when it comes to the overdone to death (pun possibly intended) zombie genre. So instead of throwing some sort of a game changing plot device at the readers, Blackmore just does a solid survivor story. And does it well. At first it took a while to get going (solo alcoholism and solo scavenging are only so much fun to read about), but then it picked up nicely and turned into a very compelling character...more
Kat
Originally posted on The Aussie Zombie http://theaussiezombie.blogspot.com

Imagine it – you’re stuck in a mountain cabin, the world is over-run by zombies and you’ve got nothing for company but movies, books and a massive stockpile of alcohol. Yeah I admit it; I’d be taking up the offer of some company in a bottle. So Gus’ reaction is completely human, and understandable. Alcohol is his friend, his escape and his sleeping pill.

Set sometime after 2026, in a world devastated by the zombapocalypse...more
Brian Jarrett
Keith Blackmore is one of those indie writers Big Publishing let slip through their fingers. This guy can write. The characters are well-developed and very unique; I really grew to care about them. As a unique zombie book, this story focuses more on the human condition than on the zombies themselves. Don't worry; there's more than enough crowded, stinking masses of the undead to go around. And plenty of guns. This is still a zombie novel, after all.

With "Mountain Man" Blackmore masterfully weave...more
Alexis Winning
Mountain Man is an everyman story. This engaging book tells the story of our troubled hero Gus who is just trying to survive in a world destroyed by the zombie apocalypse.

Keith Blackmore captures the personalities of his characters in an organic and believable way through dialogue and banter that is not forced, and is at times even funny.

Any good zombie book is not about zombies per say, but about the people who are trying to survive and re-establish their humanity, or forget it. Although I do...more
Glinda Harrison
Mandy (I read Indie) Anderson
I hate to say this, but this is just one book I cannot finish. There is only so much swearing and ball scratching a girl can take. When the author approached me to read this one I jumped at it, knowing its about zombies. But unfortunately it's just not for me. Mountain Man seems to be more geared to men. Oh and I am not a fan of taking the Lord's name in vain. I told myself when I saw it take place one more time I was done, and it finally got to me come around Chap 5.

Now I will say that the scen...more
Sara
Liked this enough to add books two and three to wish list....main characters are hapless alcoholic totally endearing very lucky Gus...and Scott the sole survivor of a group of three attacked by a soulless living human..meeting up through pure luck and circumstances,detailing their struggles to survive in the zombie infested area...a steadily paced book with masses of attention paid to detail and bog roll..if you are like me you kind of like a steadier pace sometimes and a creeping sense of somet...more
Michael Flores
This book is pretty well written. Keith C. Blackmore does a good job portraying a survivalist in a world affected by Zombies. It was a bit slow in some parts but it doesn’t detract from the story. The ending was expected, but it was still riveting. Also, high praise for the editor's work on this.
Gus has lived in this home in the mountain near a cliff since all hell broke loose two years ago. He is lonely but well stocked in food, water, solar panel, defense mechanism around the house, etc...Oh! and toooo much booze, but he still goes to town to scavenge what he can. While house picking, he finally meet a real person name Scott. Gus and Scott become a team. A short while later, they meet other person who Scott doesn't trust but Gus seem to be more accepting of. It isn't the Zombies Gus a...more
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)

I was provided a copy of this E-book by the Author Keith C. Blackmore in exchange for a review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated in any way for them.

Review:

Gus is a middle aged man living on a mountain trying to keep himself alive and safe after a zombie epidemic sweeps the globe. After spending two years in remote isolation, Gus comes across a badly injured man while on one of his routine scavenging missions. While the man heals the two become friends and with winter fast appro...more
Tiffany
When I was first approached by the author to review this book, I almost declined. Not because of anything I had read about him or his books, but because of this one reason: zombies scare the hell out of me. I can't watch zombie movies because my overactive brain loves to play cruel tricks on my while I sleep. I have never read a zombie book before in fear of that very same reason. But instead of being a scaredy-cat and declining, I decided I had to start somewhere and this might as well be that...more
Katrina (Kindred Dreamheart)
Thanks to the author for trusting me with an honest review.

After a 48 hour book binge of fairytale love @ 1st sight YA bliss, I began this novel. This was my first real horror novel. I mean, once upon a time, I watched the fright moves and used to LOVE them. Then I got girly, and sort of turned my back on the world of gore.

Welcome to the Zombie apocalyptic world, where Gus, the mountain man, is living on borrowed time, but has out lived the rest of society because he’s smarter then you’d give h...more
Randy Harmelink
Loved it!

So what would you do if you came across the perfect hideout for the zombie apocalypse? Solar power and hot water even. Stock it up. Sure. Try to make it more secure. Sure. But who, if anyone, could you trust to bring back to it? Or how long could you live there alone, without going crazy?

And add to that mix a good bit of zombie action, and you have the perfect zombie apocalypse book.

The writing is very good, and the pages practically turned themselves. It's been a while since I breezed...more
AudioBookReviewer
My full Mountain Man audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

All of the euphemisms for toilet paper in this audiobook stuck out to me: Crap Wrap, Ass Wipe, TP, Apocalypse Gold and Anal Gold. These names I’ve never heard of had me rolling around laughing in my work chair and almost made my Asian noodles shoot out my nose.

Augustus "Gus" Berry is back for a full-length adventure. Remember, we first met him in The Hospital, and some time has passed since this debauch. For a moment early...more
John
Jul 28, 2014 John rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I was all over the place with this book. I almost stopped reading it after the first 5 chapters. For example, I thought the main character might have crabs. In the first 5 chapters he scratched his nuts 6 times. Seriously, I don't know how this adds anything to the book. That was one example that sticks out in my head that bothered me. I will admit the book got better as it went along. I hung in there and actually looked forward to seeing how everything played out. It kind of reminded me of a Sc...more
Mike
The tale of an alcoholic nobody who has survived the zombipocalypse and his adventures. Although seemingly below average, the protagonist is benevolent, brave, and brighter than advertised. Well written, pulls the reader along, and throws some wicked curves that we wouldn't expect. One of the better examples of zombie fiction that shows us zombies don't kill people, idiots do.
starfleetbrat
Mountain Man is your typical man who survived the apocalypse and is fending for himself type of story.

Gus spends his days drinking and picking over houses and stores for supplies followed by more drinking. He frequently runs into zombies and narrowly avoids death on numerous occasions. He then retreats back to his mountain mansion and unsurprisingly, drinks some more. Despite this I found Gus to be a pretty likeable character.

As the story progresses Gus (almost literally) runs into another man,...more
Troy
Sure, it's a zombie novel and yes, it's formulaic; however, it's a hell of a cool read. The protagonist, Gus AKA the Mountain Man, is an unlikely survivor of the zombie apocalypse and his tale is damn good stuff.
Renee Remi
Great series starter! Was an accidental purchase, but am on the third, and am beyond happy that it was money well spent, even if accidental.
Philip
This book is a combination of both the original Mountain Man and its sequel, Safari.

Recommended by and borrowed from a friend; started it then stopped, then finally went back and read the whole thing. Wasn't impressed with the beginning, but then did in fact get better - at least the first book, which was a solid 3+ stars. However, I didn't like Safari as much, and the whole 'solution to the big mystery' was ultimately a disappointment - packed about as much surprise as the 'surprise' in Soylen...more
Chad Beaudin
J. Michel
The reader gets to explore the mind of a man named Gus who hasn’t been in contact with another human for more than two years. Mountain Man is not a plot driven book; it’s more about character development and how one man survives the overwhelming loneliness of the zombie apocalypse. The book is beautifully written, and it’s edited very well. I was extremely impressed with this self-published book, so I want to give kudos to Keith C. Blackmore for writing this gem of a novel.

Even though this book...more
Stunatra
It's been so long since I've been excited about a book, where, when I'm off doing other things, that I long to be back with it. I read a lot, so far in 2013 I've read a little over 70 books, and looking back at all of them, maybe a dozen of them are great. Great, I define as: I can't put it down, can't wait to get back to it when I do, and it has fascinating characters that I laugh and cry right along with, and I'm left wanting more after the final pages.

I expected a great read from this (the p...more
Amy
Jul 05, 2013 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: done
WOW! I love apocalyptic/zombie books. This book I really liked!

Gus lives alone in a house that has solar power and is blocked off from danger. At least for now. Why is this important? Zombies of course! He is all alone, except for The Captain, Jack, and a few other friends. Gus scavenges the land, looking for supplies and survivors. Toilet paper is a gold mind!

Scott was traveling with two other companions when they ran into Tenner. A mean SOB, who leaves Scott shot and fodder for the zombies....more
Jennifer Rhoades
I listened to this book through Audible and I thought it was fantastic! I love the Narrator R.C. Bray. He really draws you in and brings the characters alive. I thought the main character Gus was hilarious. I loved his unique references/vernacular. The relationship between Gus & Scott was awesome, I loved the camaraderie. Their banter & fun, laid back attitudes were infectious - you really wanted to hang out with them.
Netanella
Highly recommended story of post-apocalyptic zombie survival that is well-written with engaging, likeable characters, and horrific and terrifying scenes at the same time. Gus is our likeable hero, fortunate enough (depending on your viewpoint here) to have survived the initial outbreak, he finds a modernly-equipped cabin on the side of the mountain and fortifies it against any zombies that might come shambling up the road. His days are spent driving the Beast around the dead town Annapolis, sear...more
Diane
3.5
Pretty good zombie tale. It took some getting used to the coarse language and descriptions at first (this coming from a potty mouth). It took me a while to care about Gus, but once some other characters and things start happening, I was on board. The final scenes were fantabulous. Gus is a bad ass and I definitely want to know what happens next.
Pete Aldin
Well. That was a fun read. There aren't many zombie apocalypse stories that I've read all the way to the end (let alone enjoyed) but this was a good one.

One thing I'll say in favour of this book is that the author was smart enough to get a professional author to help polish his work. After reading so many many eBooks that are really middle-drafts at best, the extra work paid off for Blackmore here. (Kudos, man!)

The characters are engaging and the two leads are so likeable that when the story got...more
Elisabeth Cole
I listened to the audio format of this book and it was great! Lots of zombies, nail-biting situations and a few twists I didn't see coming as well as a surprise ending. I thought the narrator did a great job and would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys this genre!
  • Ravage
  • Affliction Z: Patient Zero
  • Mace of the Apocalypse
  • Dead: The Ugly Beginning (Dead, #1)
  • Zombie, Inc.
  • The Gathering Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1)
  • Fortress Britain (Arisen, #1)
  • This Shattered Land  (Surviving the Dead)
  • Trudge (Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse, #1)
  • Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer Park
  • White Flag of The Dead
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
  • Aftermath (The Remaining, #2)
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • Life Among the Dead
  • Dead Drunk: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. One Beer at a Time
  • Omega Days (Book 1)
  • The Living Dead Boy
Books are available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and others.
More about Keith C. Blackmore...
Safari (Mountain Man Book Two) The Hospital Hellifax (Mountain Man Book 3) The Bear That Fell From The Stars The Missing Boatman