Start by marking “Personal Shopper” as Want to Read:
Personal Shopper

Personal Shopper

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  374 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Will Nixon only has three days to whip up the perfect NYC family Christmas to impress his twin sister's future in-laws. By chance he meets the charming and possibly perfect Hudson Smith, an out of town business man, who agrees to be his "personal shopper" in order to get everything done. In the middle of a whirlwind of prep, Will and Hudson find themselves doing more than ...more
Published December 19th 2011 by MLR Press (first published December 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Personal Shopper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Personal Shopper

Muscling Through by J.L. MerrowSno Ho by Ethan DayClear Water by Amy LaneFrog by Mary CalmesCaught Running by Madeleine Urban
Best Gay Light-Hearted Romance
92nd out of 289 books — 366 voters
The Christmas Throwaway by R.J. ScottPrisoner by Megan DerrBloodraven by P.L. NunnGobsmacked by L.B. GreggThe Sound of White by Carol Lynne
Best Gay Winter Themed Romance
70th out of 151 books — 97 voters

More lists with this book...

Simsala
"Whirlwind romance" perfectly fits to this great little story - or how to make insta-love believable...
These two men belong together and they simply knew it!
I was impressed with the writing.Though told from Will`s point of view I could "hear" the wheels turning in Hudson`s head and how meeting Will turned his life upside down.Adorable characters,sweet/light story,witty dialogue and feelings so loud and clear I thought I could touch them...
It took me a bit longer to read this book - I re-read cha
Vio
Dec 23, 2011 Vio rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Vio by: Anke
My first Tere Michaels book and I wasn't disappointed, what a sweet gem. Will is an author who is having issues completing his novel. More nightmares are coming his way, Veronica, his problematic sister lands him in a mess. Organizing a last minute Christmas dinner for the family has been dumped on his shoulders. Will is in a conundrum, shopping isn't his forte and has no idea what needs to be done. So luckily, super smooth and strikingly elegant Hudson enters the picture and comes to the rescue ...more
Lauraadriana
Dec 19, 2011 Lauraadriana rated it really liked it
First of all I have been waiting for something from Tere Michaels FOREVER and now thar I've read this sweet and delicious little treat. I cannot wait for what's next.

This was so sweet. So, Will Nixon is in the middle of trying to write an end to his latest novel, he's stumped. To add to his misery his twin sister Veronica callas and asks him to put together last minute Christmas Extravaganza that will impress the snooty family of her fiance.

Poor Will is at a loss. He can afford it, but he has N
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Dec 02, 2014 Jennifer☠Pher☠ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, tis-the-season
Very cute and perfect for Christmas.
Anke
Dec 21, 2011 Anke rated it it was amazing
How did I get so lucky to read two wonderful books in a row? Yes, I liked this book very much, the situation Will finds himself in and the way he went about it, simply endearing. What took away part of my fun - and in the end this little half star - was the fact, that I early on guessed the way the story was moving on. Nevertheless, it would be nice, if I don't have to wait that long for the next book by this author.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Dec 26, 2011 Mandy*reads obsessively* rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mandy*reads obsessively* by: Anke, Sims and Vio!
Shelves: m-m, ebook-owned, short, sweet
Sometimes peer pressure is a good thing! ;)
This book was "gently" recommended to me, and I gave in and read. It was really cute,fun, sweet and even if it was a bit predictable, it was just what I needed.
Thanks Anke, Sims and Vio! :)
Don Bradshaw
Jan 03, 2012 Don Bradshaw rated it really liked it
What a fun book this was to read. This was my introduction to Tere Michaels and I'm hooked. Will Nixon is a writer with a case of writer's block when his twin sister calls and asks him to throw a miracle Christmas to impress her fiancee's parents. Nothing will keep Will from helping his sister out in her time of need but with only three days to pull it together his head is spinning. Will meets Hudson Smith in an upscale clothing store and their lives are changed forever. Hudson is a wealthy, ur ...more
Edina Rose
Dec 22, 2011 Edina Rose rated it liked it

I don't know what to say about this book. It was sweet, sure, but it had nothing special apart from the Christmas feeling.

It's the love story between Will, a US comic writer and Hudson, a rich European with a British accent and a job he doesn't like. I found Hudson utterly boring. He was like an old caricature of the English bourgeois you want to dust off and shake into life. No matter how many times he was said to be sexy, I couldn't find him any sex-appeal at all.

This book is well w
Katharina
Jun 12, 2013 Katharina rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, humour
Very cute and funny - I'm glad I didn't let the cover put me off completely (I'm again wondering at the bookcovers you find in romance. They just don't do the books any justice! This was one of the times I was glad to have an e-reader, so no one (including myself) had to see this cover.)
Susan
Dec 25, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Recommended to Susan by: Elsbeth
Shelves: christmas, mm
This was very meh.

description

I think the main reason I didn’t love this book had to do with Hudson. He was just not a very likable guy to me. He was a bit boring. And when the big reveal came I liked him even less.

The story itself was okay and Will was likable enough. It did have a nice Christmas setting, but the writing never pulled me in. And the relationships between all of them felt very unnatural. There were a lot of things that had me:
description

I mean, working for the family company means that when you quit, y
Kaje Harper
Jan 21, 2012 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
This is a fun little story with some very appealing characters, a plot twist I didn't expect, and a sweet ending. Not slow or emotional like my favorite books by this author, but it would be a great pick-me-up story to look at after some angsty, emotional read.
BWT (Belen)
Jan 02, 2016 BWT (Belen) rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm-fiction, 2015
This was ok. Nothing special, and I found myself fighting the urge to skim at times.
Serena Yates
Dec 12, 2015 Serena Yates rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay, holiday
While I hate shopping with a passion, I love reading about other people indulging, especially when they know what they’re doing. The fact that only one of the two men in this story, Hudson of British descent, is a shopping connoisseur made it extra funny. The second man, Will of the desperately-in-need-of-help kind, goes along with everything Hudson suggests. Will behaves like I might if I should ever be in his situation – which I thankfully won’t because I neither have a twin sister nor are any ...more
Ami

So there's Will, an author who is trying to help his twin. Then he meets Hudson, who becomes his personal shopper. I think there's flirt, and date, and well, sex. Honestly, it's a little bit blurry in the middle for me. Maybe, I'm not in the mood for holiday story as much as I think. Maybe, I think Hudson is a bit blah as a character (even if I find Will a bit adorable). Maybe I just don't have the chemistry with this one. All I can feel is that this story is a bit flat. OH, except the
Lasha
Jan 15, 2012 Lasha rated it it was amazing
I love Tere Michaels’ books and Personal Shopper did not disappoint. This holiday novella was a delight to read. Set in New York City, Will Nixon is on a mission: create the perfect Christmas dinner for his sister and her soon-to-be in-laws at his apartment. Despite being gay, Will knows nothing about entertaining, but while shopping he runs into Hudson Smith and enlists his help in getting everything he needs, including Hudson in his bed!

Personal Shopper is one of those great books that even th
Lady*M
Dec 28, 2011 Lady*M rated it really liked it

Sooooo cute, great, great dialogue. I didn't mind the insta-love!, the boys sold it to me, but the whole sister/cousin/boyfriend part of the story seemed like something from... I don't know... nineteenth century? Contrived? Still, this was a great story, I wouldn't mind reading more about these men again... I liked Will a lot, which is understandable, because he is the POV character. There wasn't enough page time to really get to know Hudson, but we do know that he is hot, thoughtful an
Alissa
Dec 08, 2014 Alissa rated it liked it
Enjoyable... just the thing to get me in the holiday spirit.
Raevyn
Feb 20, 2012 Raevyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, 2012
Will and Hudson were amazing together, they were sweet and so so hot. Will's sister needs to impress her in-laws with a wonderful family Christmas, so she calls on her brother. Will has no idea how to plan a 'family Christmas' and he only has 2 days. While he is shopping he meets Hudson, who impresses will with his style. Will asks Hudson to help him put the whole thing together. There is a surprise ending that was a little off for me but I still enjoyed the story.
Tutu
Jan 12, 2013 Tutu rated it liked it

A quick, fun read with a Christmassy theme. With this type of stories, where everything happens in 2-3 days it’s a bit difficult for me to fall in love with the book. You get hit with a lot of things, but nothing is truly developed, or if it is, it’s not believable. This is why Personal Shopper is not exactly my favorite kind of story, but it’s enjoyable nonetheless.
Lucy
Jan 01, 2012 Lucy rated it really liked it
When things seem too good too be true, odds are, something's up. Will would do anything for his twin sister, including pulling together a fancy Christmas at the last minute. Meeting Hudson, a beautiful, rich business with a ton of taste, makes everything even better. The story was lovely, and imbues a sense of, in the terms of Sheriff Black, hope.
Lirajean
Dec 18, 2012 Lirajean rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
Cute and fluffy, what you'd expect for a holiday themed book. Will is snarky and funny. Hudson however is a bit of a dud. Don't really get the attraction. I gave it 3 stars because TM knows how to write dialog but the story line was nothing special.

Lillian Francis
Dec 19, 2015 Lillian Francis rated it really liked it
Cute Christmas story with a twist that I sort of saw coming in my peripheral vision but could still appreciate it when it arrived.
What was with all the missing words though?
Snowtulip
Dec 21, 2011 Snowtulip rated it really liked it
Recommended to Snowtulip by: Lauraadriana
Shelves: m-m
3.5

Perfect for when you are in the mood for a sweet,short, whirlwind romance!
Adrianamae, Marco's fan
Dec 28, 2011 Adrianamae, Marco's fan rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday, short-story
From this christmas season my favorite christmas story by far!!!
UltraMeital
I'll start by saying I don't like the cover, not sure really why but I SHOULD say it has something to do with the fact that I've already read a short novella (an okay one) with this cover.. Then I discovered another one! (all 3 by MLR Press). I don't get why use the same cover several times.. After I got THAT out of my system - since I just finished the Faith, Love & Devotion series and LOVED it -it was obvious I would try more of Tere's books - this was my first try.

I had a REAL struggle wi
Barb ~rede-2-read~
This was a very enjoyable story about Will, whose twin Veronica called him in a panic asking him to host a Christmas event at his condo for her future in-laws. Problem was that Will was trying to meet a deadline for his latest book and his bachelor pad was far from being satisfactory as a place to make an impression on rich people flying in from Paris. He starts by entering an exclusive men's shop to do some gift shopping and there he meets Hudson, a very sexy, very sophisticated Brit with a meg ...more
Ruby
Dec 31, 2011 Ruby rated it really liked it
I was surprised by how much enjoyed this book, considering there was a definite element of insta-love there. I think it was made palatable by the excellent writing and Will's narrative voice, which I really enjoyed.

One thing that niggled though, as an English reader, was that Hudson Smith is not a very likely name for an upper class Englishman, and that his speech didn't sound particularly English either. It's not that he came across as American at any point - just that there wasn't really any E
Shelby P
Jan 08, 2014 Shelby P rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, holidays
This started out like a 2 star read but I'm glad to say that it got better as we went along. I don't think Tere Michaels will ever top her Faith & Fidelity series but one should never give up reaching for the stars. I enjoyed Will and Hudson's three days getting to know each other and liked how the story played out.
Teresa
This was so sweet! I adored Hudson and Will. I loved the time they spent together, it made the whirlwind romance easier to see working long term. I so did not see the twist in the story, which was nice. Pleasant holiday read!!
Ms. Nikki
Ummm? I don't know how I'm supposed to say this, but Personal Shopper was sorely lacking in the quality that I have come to associate with the name Tere Michaels. I didn't gel with Hudson and his British-ness (which I usually find incredibly hawt!) or with Will and his shy, inelegant flirting (He came off kinda bummy, but with some money). I was frowning the entire time he was shopping and for the reason Will was helping his sister. The aura of the book also didn't feel like the holidays even wi ...more
  • Miracle of the Bellskis (Bellskis, #2)
  • A Summit City Christmas (Summit City, #2.5)
  • Mending Noel (North Pole City Tales #1)
  • Something to Believe In
  • Making His List
  • Where the Heart Is
  • Too Much Christmas Spirit
  • Twelve Days (A Note in the Margin, #2)
  • I Heard Him Exclaim
  • The Trouble With Elves
  • Winter Warmers
  • Hopes and Fears
  • The Match Before Christmas  (The Match Before Christmas #1)
  • Joy of the Season (Rupert's Legacy, #1)
  • A Trouble Halved
  • Feathers From the Sky
  • Puppy, Car, and Snow (Ryan & Scott, #3)
  • Jesse's Christmas
1999187
Tere Michaels unofficially began her writing career at the age of four when she learned that people got paid to write stories. It seemed the most perfect and logical job in the world and after that, her path was never in question. (The romance writer part was written in the stars—she was born on Valentine’s Day.)

It took thirty-six years of “research” and “life experience” and well… life… before he
More about Tere Michaels...