Start by marking “Glitches (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Glitches (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5)

Glitches (The Lunar Chronicles 0.5)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  6,683 ratings  ·  882 reviews
Cinders Erinnerung reicht nicht weiter als ein paar Tage zurück – bis zu ihrer Operation. Und dann kam die endlos lange Reise zu ihrer neuen Familie. Doch da ist sie alles andere als willkommen: Ihre neue Stiefmutter würde sie am liebsten schnellstmöglich wieder loswerden. Und als Cinders Stiefvater Garan an der Blauen Pest erkrankt, verliert sie ihren wichtigsten Fürsprec...more
Online Free Read, 32 pages
Published December 5th 2011 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about Glitches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glitches

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
4th out of 484 books — 941 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenDivergent by Veronica RothAllegiant by Veronica RothInsurgent by Veronica RothThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
What we've read so far in...2014
131st out of 7,896 books — 1,391 voters

More lists with this book...

Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]
Review:Cinder

Wow, All I'm saying is, you have to freaking read this before reading the first book Cinder.

I dunno why Marissa Meyer didnt put this as a prologue of her debut. Surely I'll enjoy more reading that book if I read this first.

It have the full description of what Cinder really looks like (You dint have to wait reading 200 pages to get the full idea) and I love how Pearl, one of C...more
9 3/4
What an enjoyable short story. I loved Cinder so, when I was done, I needed more of this beautiful world and these amazing characters. And this is what this short story gives.

It adds to the backstory of many characters. We get to meet Cinder as a kid at her first days as a cyborg. We get to see how she gets used to her new life. If you love Cinder you have to read this as well. You will get to know more about many characters such as Cinder's step-father, her step-mother, Iko, Peony and Pearl.

F...more
Wendy Darling

A fantastic short story meant to be read before reading Cinder.

Available to read for free on Tor's website: http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/12/gl....
Anne
Just in time to pad your Reading Challenge!

This is the free online prequel to Cinder.
If you're interesting in reading it, you can click this Link, and check it out.
I know, I know! I'm awesome!

This shorty tells the story of the first little bit of Cinder's life with her step-family. Starting with the train ride over from Europe, and ending with her stepfather's death.
You get a peek at her beginnings as a mechanic, her budding relationship with Peony, and her stepmother's feelings from the beginn...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
Well that explains how Cinder came to live with Adri and the girls and how she didn't remember anything of her previous life. Interesting to see how Cinder gets used to her synthetic parts at the beginning. Adri is so easy to dislike from the beginning, she is the epitome of evil stepmother.
Liz

Awesome prequel.

I love Cinder and Peony and Iko!
And after reading Glitches I hate Adri even more...

Isabelle
You know you're in a reading slump when it takes you a week to read a novella.

I know, I know. I'm totally lagging. It's school.

But let's not focus on Isabelle's lovely life. Let's talk about glitches.

A glitch is a malfunction. An irregularity. A flaw.

Yet, doesn't everybody have flaws?

I know I do. I have a speech problem. It's nothing crucial, don't worry. I just have trouble reading out loud. I stumble over my words.

I'm socially awkward. The words won't leave my mouth as I want them to. I t...more
Karly *The Vampire Ninja*
I am a girl!!!

And I do have some really nerd-girl moments sometimes. I adore this series.... kickass cyborgs are us.... and I love all our made over fairytale "princesses"!! Also, FREE!! I just can't help but want Glitches to be Winter.....

This is just a quick little insight into Cinder's introduction to her foster family. It doesn't really hand out any new information but it's a nice little moment in that world..... however:

Seriously?! Gimme Winter, all ready!!

Veronica Morfi
When I first saw Cinder and read the blurb I thought I wouldn't like the book, but then people stared reading it and saying so many great things about it, that I was a bit conflicted. Then I read that it's based on the story of Cinderella and that the next three books are also based on fairy tales, so I thought I should give it a chance since I love fairy tales so much. Then I added Cinder in my to read list and I noticed that there was a prequel to the story, so of course I read it.

Now I am pre...more
Margarida
I really liked this short story.

It shows the firsts weeks in Cinder new home. She meets Peony, she's so adorable!!!!!
Pearl and Adri, I hate this two!!! God Adri is so mean!!! How can she call a eleven year old those names?! Calling Cinder a thing. Bitch.

It was really sad to see Garan, the one that brought her to New Beijing, when he told his family that he had Letumosis and their reaction. :( Heartbreaking.

I really liked to read the parts between Peony and Cinder. That was how they became frie...more
Monika
First of all, thank you Marrisa Meyer, for this wonderful short story. This is really interesting to see the characters we know from the book Cinder, a few years earlier.
Cinder is a girl with no memory before the accident in which she lost her family as well as leg and hand. Now, she's a cyborg, a machine trying to adjust to life with a new family...
Adri, I even did not think that I can hate you more ... Ooh, how I was wrong. From the very beginning you were cruel to the girl, who has not done a...more
Fenia
Take my heart and break it,why don't you?? Ughh such a sad start for our dear Cinder..:( The way Andri treated her..and poor Garan? Heartbreaking story!!
Rose
Aw, this was so much fun and made me pretty excited to start Cinder! Seriously, this novella was SO out of my contemporary comfort zone but I loved every page of jumping out of my comfort zone.

Now that I'm finished with Glitches, the more I think about it, the more I like it. I seriously couldn't wait to get to know this world of androids and cyborgs better and also get more of the Cinder + Peony awesome after reading it. I seriously love reading about well-written sibling relationships and this...more
Wei Cho

-One of the many reasons I love Iko and Marissa Meyer's uncanny and wonderful storytelling talents!

I like this prequel, finally I know what color is Cinder's hair! It was nice to see how she developed her skills as a mechanic and how she was introduced to the family.

What was missing was more relationship with Garan. I still do not know how he stumbled upon her and why he decided to be her
Burgandy Ice
This is a short original story by Marissa Meyer that takes place before Cinder.

If you're thinking of reading Cinder, this will give you a good taste of the writing and tantalize you with hints of what's in the book!

If you've already read Cinder, you know you want to zip over to Tor (http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/12/gl...) and catch this sweet beginning of how Cinder began in her family and her first connection with Iko.

It's been a while since I read the book, so this short story felt like a...more
Rian Starr
Everyone keeps saying that this needs to be read before reading Cinder, but I don't believe that that's the case. I found that this prequel was helpful at setting up the world of Cinder but that it made more sense to me once I had reread it after reading Cinder. Either way it's a delightful little companion to the novel series, but it doesn't matter much if you read it before or after reading the novel. You're still introduced to Cinder and her world either way, but Glitches provides a little bi...more
Vilda
Jan 07, 2013 Vilda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers who enjoyed Cinder
While it's very short, Glitches is a sweet little prequel to Cinder that I ended up really enjoying. It was very interesting to see how Cinder came to be in her new family and how she bonded with Peony and Iko--two characters I absolutely love! Once again I'm reminded of how much I love Cinder and this world, and I cannot wait for Scarlet to be released!

'She lifted a spindly arm and gestured toward Cinder's steel prosthetic. "I have a glitch, too. Sometimes I forget that I'm not human. I don't
Jillian -always aspiring-
Jan 09, 2012 Jillian -always aspiring- rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers interested in reading the novel CINDER
Shelves: 2011-reads, reviewed
I actually enjoyed this short story more than I enjoyed the novel Cinder (to which this short story is a prequel). I understood the cyborg qualities of Cinder, the background of her family situation, and Cinder herself better in this short story. I would recommend that people give this short story a read before they delve into Cinder because you'll only be that much more prepared for what the novel offers if you do.
Dylan
IKO! CINDERS STEPFATHER! CINDER! PEONY!!!

Characters I have been wanting to know more about, and characters I love are present in this short story. 'Glitches' occurs when Cinder is 11 and has just arrived in New Beijing.

And although its not really a great short story on its own. For a crazy huge fan of the books like me, it was the fix I needed in waiting for Cress to come out.

Definitely check this out if you have read Cinder or Scarlet. You will love it!

I read it free here: http://www.tor.com/st...more
Ami
Glitches was a short prequel to Cinder; where we learned how Cinder came to her new family. While it was really nice to read about that part, it was slightly a bit too uhm, bland for my liking. Maybe because I have read Cinder in two books already, and I didn't feel I get to know her better in this one.

It's different with my reaction to The Queen's Army -- that one made me feel more for Wolf, since it was from his perspective. Maybe it would make a better impact if I read this immediately afte...more
Mairéad ~Maïrshall Lee~
4.5 Stars (almost 5 stars, GAAAAAH SO CLOSE, probably because I wanted MOARRRRR).

I now have a more profound appreciation for Cinder's character. Detailing her beginnings as she finds herself in the care of Garan, Adri and their two daughters: Pearl and Peony--Glitches illustrates the depth of Cinder's character once was prior to becoming more accustomed to delving and allowing her cyborg robotic side dominate herself.

Before I had mixed thoughts on the first book Cinder because it felt dull in t...more
Lothfleur
Cette histoire est un préquelle au conte de fée futuriste Cinder, de Marissa Meyer dont l'héroïne est une talentueuse mécanicienne et un cyborg. C'est une citoyenne de seconde classe dont le passé reste un mystère, méprisée par sa belle-mère et tenue responsable de la maladie de sa demi-sœur.
Dans Glitches, nous voyons les résultats de cette maladie et l'impact émotionnel qui s'abat sur Cinder, sous la forme de ce qui pourrait être un défaut de fabrication...

Ç’a été un vrai plaisir de lire cette...more
Michael
This is a hard one to rate because it feels like 5 stars if you read it after Cinder, but 4 stars if you read it before. That is because so many of the poignant moments are caused by tie-ins to the main Cinder storyline. For example, there is a reference to playing "dress-up" in this story that is pretty urbane, but if you can make connections to some of the scenes from Cinder, it is a really tearful moment. In the end, I decided to rate the story on its own since it is not a required part of th...more
Jillyn
This short novella helps to give a bit of insight into the novel Cinder. It's written in the form of a prequel, giving background information on Cinder's "fresh" start in new Beijing. It tells how Cinder met her new family, and more importantly introduces Garan, Cinder's stepfather. Back stories offer how Iko came to be, how Garan disappeared, and how Cinder's stepmother Adri initially reacted upon Cinder's arrival.

This is a very quick read that helps give Cinder a more human outlook by showing...more
James
Short, too short. Glitches is a prequel, a prologue, a trailer. Unfortunately, that's all it is, it just isn't long enough to stand on its own. The ideas are interesting - a young cyborg girl, her memory damaged in the procedure is adopted by a new family just in time for the family life to fall apart. The story just isn't long enough for any development at all - the characters are introduced and the scene is set. Then it's all over, oh, please buy the real book ... I liked it, but guess I was j...more
Holly
I actually read this AFTER "Cinder". I like the bit of background knowledge. We get to meet Garan! I sense that he did in fact know of who Cinder was, and if I hadn't had already read Cinder I would have been wondering why this 'girl' was sooo important. I would definitely read this is you enjoyed the other books in The Lunar Chronicles. :)

A SIDE NOTE & SPOILER - I enjoyed seeing her on the cover!! It helped me get a better idea of what Queen Lavana looks like.
Liz*
Please, God, give her tears so she can cry with me! 'O'

Lovely Peony: You were so cute. I love you even more.
Adri: You're not that evil [small orange light flickering]
Amazing Iko: Iko FTW!

"I have a glitch, too. Sometimes I forget that I'm not human. I don't think that happens to most androids."
Jenn
Loved this little glimpse of how Cinder came to live with her stepmother. So much pain and confusion in a little girl, it just broke my heart. I enjoyed getting to actually meet Garran here. Loved how Price Kai was described as a little 12-year old. And we can't forget Iko! Lovely.
Ana
Feb 18, 2014 Ana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Por incrível que pareça, este pequeno conto acaba por dar mais detalhes do que o livro em si. Foi interessante ficar a conhecer um pouco melhor a infância de Cinder e a relação com as suas irmãs. No entanto, pensava que iria explorar um pouco mais a sua relação com Garan. No conto pareceu-me muito superficial e que não havia grande ligação entre si ...

Muito sinceramente, tenho pena que agora os autores deixem de parte certos aspectos da história para depois desenvolverem em pequenos contos paral...more
Belldandy
First off, it's free at http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/12/gl... unlike Google Play, Kindle, etc. so go read it! You have no excuses! Short great introduction to Cinder, both the book and the back story of the character.
Young at Heart: Glitches 1 2 Oct 01, 2014 02:08PM
An Abundance of B...: Glitches (Prequel to Cinder) by Marissa Meyer - February S.S. #1 1 9 Feb 04, 2014 08:02PM
Ninjas Be Reading: Lunar Chronicles 0.5 2 21 Mar 23, 2012 03:23PM
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (The Grisha, #0.5)
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • Seraphina: The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • The Fierce Reads Anthology
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #0.5)
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • Men Who Wish to Drown
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Isolation (Partials Sequence #0.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • In Time (The Darkest Minds, #1.5)
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • Portrait of a Starter: An Unhidden Story (Starters, #0.5)
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my fiancé and our two cats. In addition to my slight obsession with books and writing, I'm big on road-tripping, wine-tasting, and hunting for antiques. I'm represented by Jill Grinberg.

CINDER, my debut novel, is a futuristic re-envisioning of Cinderella in which Cinder is a cyborg mechanic. Release date: 3 Jan 2012.
More about Marissa Meyer...
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) The Queen's Army (The Lunar Chronicles, #1.5) The Little Android (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.6)

“I have a glitch, too. Sometimes I forget that I’m not human. I don’t think that happens to most androids.” 44 likes
“Nothing makes an android feel more useless than when a human is crying.” 36 likes