Start by marking “Snowbound Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #13)” as Want to Read:
Snowbound Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #13)

Snowbound Mystery (The Boxcar Children #13)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  2,232 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
When a terrible snowstorm hits the area, the Boxcar Children are trapped. To make matters worse, there's something very suspicious about their cabin. What are all those strange markings on the closet door? And what are all those strange noises the Boxcar Chldren hear in the night?
Published January 1st 1990 by Albert Whitman & Company (first published January 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Snowbound Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowbound Mystery

Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter HøegThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonWhite Fang by Jack LondonThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Ice and Snow
475 books — 131 voters
A Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Snow Child by Eowyn IveyThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreStopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert FrostSmilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg
Snow
220 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Meredith Buchanan
Mar 04, 2013 Meredith Buchanan rated it it was ok
Oh my God it’s finally autumn in the Alden universe. It only took 13 books. I can only imagine the length of time that will pass before we see spring again.

In the very first paragraph we learn that their school is closed because there’s been a fire and it’s been partially destroyed. This sounds very mysterious to me, but what do I know, because this crime-solving quartet isn’t piqued in the least by this tidbit.

That’s Gertrude for you, throwing in some interesting news about arson to distract y
Irene
Apr 27, 2013 Irene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school aged kids
Shelves: children
Another exciting adventure for the Alden family! This time, they are snowed in at a hunter's cabin. I really think their little getaways must be so much fun!

So far, each book has given me one new piece of information about Henry. In Houseboat Mystery, I learned that Henry was now old enough to drive. In this book, he's in college! Everyone else is pretty much the same. Benny is funny, Jessie is the cook, and Violet picks up the other household duties. (She does the sewing in the first book, the
Anna
Feb 13, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it
Oh, those Alden kids, always helping people. And WHERE DID GRANDFATHER MAKE HIS MONEY!?!?!?
Hollowspine
Feb 15, 2010 Hollowspine rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
This was a very nostalgic book for me. I remembered the story a bit better than the first boxcar children book with the mystery of the cabin and the squirrels in the attic. This also was a great book to read with all the snow we'd been getting this year.

As with the first book the Alden children never ceased to amaze me with their consistently positive attitudes, polite speech patterns and unflinching work ethic. I also noticed however that although they didn't go out of their way to be extravag
Heath Kennedy
May 24, 2016 Heath Kennedy rated it really liked it
The Box Car Children book, "Snowbound Mystery," is an entertaining little book about four children named the Aldens. From youngest to oldest their names are Benny, Jessie, Violet and Henry. All four of them used to live in a red boxcar, but now live with their grandfather in the town of Greenfield.

These four siblings are known for their crazy little adventures, and this time they have decided to go live in a small hunting cabin way out in the woods for a week. This cabin is so far out in the wo
Melissa Namba
Dec 11, 2015 Melissa Namba rated it it was ok
OK, so I have to admit that I am starting to get annoyed with how often Grandpa Alder just drops these kids off in strange places and leaves them. What the hell! So this time it is a small hunting cottage where they have to hike 2.5 miles to get to the nearest store. There's some responsible parenting. There is a sign in book at the hunting lodge and the kids wonder why the shop keeper and his family are up in the cabin so frequently. Clearly, there is a mystery. But I'd have to say it is a myst ...more
Jun 27, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: boxcar-children
Seattle was frustratingly devoid of seasons, at least the way the four seasons were portrayed in books and movies. I ached for winters blessed with blankets of snow. My fervent annual wish was for a white Christmas.So imagine my jealousy perusing the tale of the four boxcar children snowbound, trapped indoors with family members who actually enjoyed spending their time together playing games, piecing together puzzles, and constructing art projects.
Elizabeth
Jan 08, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laura Cushing
Apr 03, 2016 Laura Cushing rated it really liked it
Still reading my way through the Boxcar Children series thanks to Kindle Unlimited. This time the kids are snowbound in a cabin, and the mystery involves some family that runs a grocery store. As usual the kids are resourceful and friendly. A quick fun kids read. Not heavy on plot and the passage of time is somewhat wonky... how long has Henry been in college now and the girls haven't graduated high school yet? Is Benny still in elementary? There is a mention that Watch is an old dog now.
Kristine Hansen
Jul 03, 2012 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
I really love how Mr. Alden trust the children enough to let them go on their own and have adventures. The idea of sending kids to spend a week in a remote cabin, with a 5 mile walk round trip just to get food is amazing to me. Yes we know Henry is in college, but to me it's still ambitious.

Enjoyable mystery. The snowstorm kept it thrilling. I really liked this one.
Ashle Oaks
Dec 11, 2013 Ashle Oaks rated it liked it
I didn't care for this story as much as much as some of the others. This story focuses more on all of the children than the last few have. They are also on an adventure by themselves for the first time in a while. They are back to be being perfect and polite all the time. And the sexism is back too. I do wish the author would have revealed what the secret ingredient was.
Bird
Sep 03, 2012 Bird rated it it was ok
Reading these books gives me a big dose of nostalgia. They're pretty monotonous and boring (how many meals can we witness the Alden children making?!), especially considering the kids' books being published today, but it reminds me of my childhood.
Kaetlyn
Aug 17, 2015 Kaetlyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I like that Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny go up to a hunters cabin. I like how there are squirrels in the attic with recipe cards. I like how everyone goes nut picking and got a lot of hickory nuts.
Elevetha
Aug 19, 2012 Elevetha rated it liked it
The Boxcar Children = most read series between the ages of 6 and 9 for me. I think of these fondly. Every child should read this series.
Kel
Jul 17, 2012 Kel rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Picked this up at a yard sale. I have always like GCW; Boxcar Children #1 is a top comfort book. My son and I read this. Fun story.
Stacie
Nov 05, 2016 Stacie rated it really liked it
The kids get to stay in a cabin, but in comes a snowstorm. They get to meet new people, the Nelsons, and help them solve a mystery.
Rivka Ray
One of my favorite childhood series. I read over a hundred of them. The first 50 or so were in order; after that I read whatever book I could get my hands on :)
Jane Michaels
Jane Michaels rated it really liked it
May 25, 2013
Kathi Maciejewski
Kathi Maciejewski rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2015
Jess
Jess rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2010
Trisha Wilkins
Trisha Wilkins rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2010
Tirzah
Tirzah rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2012
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2011
Beth Jones
Beth Jones rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2013
Desiree Depinet
Desiree Depinet rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2009
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Colin Wright
Colin Wright rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Miss Anna K Dockrell
Miss Anna K Dockrell rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
  • The Case of the One-Eyed Killer Stud Horse (Hank the Cowdog, #8)
  • Mandie and the Mysterious Bells (Mandie #10)
  • The Ghost of Blackwood Hall (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #25)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down (Encyclopedia Brown, #8)
  • Annie Oakley: Young Markswoman
  • Kidnapped by River Rats: William and Catherine Booth (Trailblazers)
  • Treasures from Grandma (Grandma's Attic, #4)
  • Key to the Treasure
  • Strider (Leigh Botts, #2)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at Meadowbrook (Bobbsey Twins, #7)
  • The Short-Wave Mystery (Hardy Boys, #24)
Gertrude Chandler Warner was born in Putnam, Connecticut, on April 16, 1890, to Edgar and Jane Warner. Her family included a sister, Frances, and a brother, John. From the age of five, she dreamed of becoming an author. She wrote stories for her Grandfather Carpenter, and each Christmas she gave him one of these stories as a gift. Today, Ms. Warner is best remembered as the author of THE BOXCAR CH ...more
More about Gertrude Chandler Warner...

The Boxcar Children (1 - 10 of 143 books)
  • The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1)
  • Surprise Island (The Boxcar Children, #2)
  • The Yellow House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #3)
  • Mystery Ranch (The Boxcar Children, #4)
  • Mike's Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #5)
  • Blue Bay Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #6)
  • The Woodshed Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #7)
  • The Lighthouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #8)
  • Mountain Top Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #9)
  • Schoolhouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #10)