Start by marking “Near Death” as Want to Read:
Near Death

Near Death (Jake Townsend #1)

For Jake Townsend, the loss was shattering. And every night for the past two years, he has relived the horror of what happened. The moonless night. The piercing screams. The horrific crash. The night his wife was taken from him. The last time he saw her alive. Everyone tells him to move on. But for Jake, there can be no closure. A message appears in his dreams-a warning he ...more
Published November 3rd 2011 by Three Thirty A.M. Publishing (first published October 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Near Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Near Death

Lisette Brodey
Nov 11, 2011 Lisette Brodey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is always a pleasure to review a novel that kept me absorbed from the first page to the last — which is exactly the case with Richard C. Hale’s, Near Death. After the tragic loss of his wife in a car crash, Jake Townsend is inconsolable. His beloved wife Beth appears in recurring dreams and is trying to send him a message he cannot quite decipher. Meanwhile, Jake has developed technology that might bring him closer to Beth, but at what cost?

We live in a day and age where new technology does t
Kenneth A. Mugi
REASON FOR BOOK CHOICE

Due to the lack of eBook reviewers on the Internet and the difficulty it is for a new author to gain traction in the market place, I'm trying to focus my reviews strictly on this area. It also helps that e-books are generally a lot cheaper than their physical counterparts (for various reasons) and occasionally can be picked up for a dollar. This fact really helps keep my reviewing and entertainment budget at reasonable levels.

However, in saying that, I actually found this
Sheri
May 15, 2012 Sheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Near Death (Richard C. Hale)

Jake Townsend Lost his wife in a tragic accident. He is grief stricken and can't move on. Although everyone tells him he needs to move on with his life, he can't until he gets closure.

He starts having dreams, dreams of his wife and they feel so real. The dreams start to become frightening, and confusing, as he tries to figure out there meaning. He needs to see her, to speak to her, if not but for one last time.

Jake comes up with an invention and he is using people wit
D.A. Cairns
Feb 23, 2015 D.A. Cairns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining read revolving around themes of universal appeal:love,loss and the much talked about near death experience. What at first appears to be a serious novel turns into fantasy with an action packed finale complete with gunfights, explosions and a massive hole in time.

I liked how the author handled the grief of the characters and their longing for closure.In reality, people seldom get such closure, and we are left with unanswered questions to haunt us. However, the novelist can explor
Jeannie Walker
Nov 14, 2011 Jeannie Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding Book!
If you have ever wondered what you would do if you were put in difficult circumstances, then you need to read this book by author, Richard Hale. Mr. Hale's debut book takes you on a ride to death and beyond in this outstanding thriller.
The death of his wife leaves Jake Townsend with no closure and many unanswered questions. Although Jakes knows he needs to move on with his life and many friends try to persuade him to do so, Jake is torn with horrible nightmares of the horror h
Pamela Faust
I think I would have enjoyed this book much more, if there hadn't been the unnecessary romance included. Maddy could have been more interesting if she'd been pursuing a resolution to her grief over her fiancée, similar to Jake's frustration with his wife's death. She ended up seeming like a needy nymphomaniac that was not really bothered by losing her loved one.
Thom
Mar 24, 2012 Thom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very powerful work
Danielle Young
Jan 17, 2013 Danielle Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the synopsis for this book I knew that despite it not being my usual type of read I just had to read this book. And I will just tell you that Richard Hale did not disappoint! From page one I was completely raptured by the story of Jake and his incredible loss. Leaving me completely curious as to where this story would lead. I mean how many of us wouldn't want to see our lost one's again or what lies in the great beyond?

I was impressed by how easy this book was to read and get hooke
Gareth
Aug 03, 2013 Gareth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Supernatural thriller - tense and teasing:

After losing his wife in a road accident, Jake is left with the torture of loss and grief, and the mystery of his wife’s final words.

He creates ANDEE, an innovative and somewhat frightening computer which enables him to watch and experience the mysterious elements of what he calls NDEs – Near Death Experiences. He pursues this research and dangerous work because he wants – NEEDS – to talk to his dead wife. But this is a goal that costs him subservience
Ashley Fontainne
Full of numerous emotional roller coasters, you find yourself totally immersed inside the tortured minds of the central characters as they each struggle to deal with the death of a loved one. Some withdraw internally to their own personal realm of sorrow, while one particularly brilliant scientist is obsessed with finding out what really happened to his beloved wife the moment she left this earth.

Whether by fate or coincidence, when the scientist/widower and the other sufferers of loss unite and
Nancy Silk
Aug 30, 2016 Nancy Silk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"A Remarkable, Intriguing Novel"

This first novel in the Jake Townsend series is amazing. Jake Townsend is a scientist who has developed a computer program and machine which can read minds and project video scenes. He refers to the computer as Andee. After two years, he keeps reliving the horrible death of his wife. He just can't get any closure. As his dreams continue revealing his loss, there are omens which eventually lead him on the path to have closure ... or, may shatter his world. This sto
Russ King
Jul 11, 2012 Russ King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book; genuinely creepy at times with a fast pace and lots of twists. It follows the work of a scientist who is downloading memories of near-death experiences so they can be viewed in their entirety via a TV screen. He is on a mission to re-connect with his dead wife and the government want to use it for their own dubious plans. There is love, banter and danger and it would make a cracking film.

I didn't give it 5 stars because the original description of the technology involv
David
Jul 30, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Near Death had a lot of intriguing ideas. I love supernatural stories and this one really resonated with me. After a tragic accident, Jake Townsend becomes obsessed with finding out what happens to us when we die. And he's built a machine that can "read" people who have had a near-death experience (NDE) and actually replicate the experience on a screen. But the machine turns out to be more powerful than he planned and Jake is forced to face the question of whether he's gone too far in his obsess ...more
Sandra
Aug 31, 2013 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story line is interesting. The question of ethics is just barely scraped along the surface. Jake's about face based on a single personal event, while believable, takes away much of his standing as a moral man. I also had a very difficult time knowing that this is the first book in a series when the premise of this one begs for it to be a complete story, ending with the destruction of the machine that brought about the ethical dilemmas in the first place.
Laura Johnson
Aug 31, 2014 Laura Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creepy premise in tune with NSA paranoia

different approach to the oft-visited realm of being able to read minds. the idealistic genius who cannot accept that his wife is gone, desperately seeking a way to communicate, the inevitable govt and military desire to use it to their own ends. Nice read, will pick up next in series.
Char
Apr 01, 2013 Char rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting take on where we go in after life. Is there real research like this going on? This read is a seat of your pants exciting and in some place down right scary.could not put it down, another night of no sleep. What if someone could actually develop a machine like this one in the book. Would be scary, some things should remain a mystery.
Mar 04, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a really good book. A few slow parts but the majority of the book made up for it. This is another book that makes you look at the afterlife. It is based on NDE's or Near Death Experiences. Pretty good stuff. If anyone has read The Grey Tier and enjoyed it, you will definately like this as well.

Cate
Meh. That's the best way to describe how I felt about this book. To me it seemed a bit confused with what it was, a supernatural book about scientists messing with the afterlife, throw in some shady government action, and a love story. It was just too much. Did I actively dislike it? No. Will I read anything else in this series? Also no.
Ann
Jun 16, 2012 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid debut by self-published author that combines a bit of scifi and a fair amount of action. Characters a bit one-dimensional but author has a real flair for man-woman relationships. Looking forward to reading more from him.
Sandie Acquistapace
Excellent story. Couldn't put it down.

Complex characters and great story telling fill this story of deeds and consequences, love and forgiveness, and even afterlife possibilities. A real thrill_ride yet so much more.
Holly
Oct 06, 2013 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read. If you've ever wondered about the "other side" of death or experienced a NDE, this book should be on your reading list. A touching story of a man obsessed with finding answers after the death of his wife. What he learns is life altering.
Glenda Beck
Jan 02, 2016 Glenda Beck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Near Death" is an awesome read.

" Near Death is an awesome read. Lots of twists and turns keeps you going non stop to the end. A great mystery, thriller for all!
Jed
Mar 28, 2015 Jed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting concept, enjoyable story.
Dawn
Aug 18, 2013 Dawn rated it it was amazing
AWESOME BOOK!
LOVED IT!
Jane West
Dec 15, 2014 Jane West rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting

Seemed a little slow to begin with, but good setup for future story lines to follow and growth of the characters.
Doreen Dalesandro
Kindle freebie, 12/21/12
Theresa
Mar 08, 2013 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good, well written book. A combination of the paranormal and James Bond.
Joan M Erickson
Jan 28, 2015 Joan M Erickson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Huge bumps in the night

There is a certain amount of good versus evil and the good overpowers. One wonders if the General heard good music.
Jeff Dalton
Story was interesting, but the writing has a lot of rough edges.
Mandy White
Aug 24, 2014 Mandy White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engaging story with good suspense. I'd recommend it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Homesong
  • Killing Down the Roman Line
  • Lime Ricky
  • Some Day Somebody
  • Absence of Grace
  • Paranormal Realities (A Paranormal Romantic Suspense Box Set)
  • The Sun, the Moon, and Maybe the Trains (John & Tess Book 1)
  • Bad Spirits
  • Toby Streams the Universe
  • The Love Market
  • The Protectors Christmas Box Set
  • Dark Entry
  • Arsonist (Jon Stanton, #4)
  • Under a Harvest Moon
  • Phoenix Feather
  • Ransom Dreams
  • Ruby Lake
  • Manless in Montclair: Love, Loss, Excessive Dating
Richard C Hale has worn many hats in his lifetime including Greens Keeper, Bartender, Musician, Respiratory Therapist, and Veteran Air Traffic Controller. You can usually find him controlling Air Traffic over the skies of the Southeastern U.S. where he lives with his wife and children.
More about Richard C. Hale...

Jake Townsend (2 books)
  • Near Sighted (Jake Townsend #2)