Start by marking “After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)” as Want to Read:
After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)

After The Rain (Phil Broker #5)

Headlights off, a panel truck drives by moonlight across an open field, following tracks that have been there for decades ...

Nina Pryce and her husband, Phil Broker, couldn't have more opposite views of the military. Broker's loyalty to the men he served with in Vietnam is matched only by his certainty that they shouldn't have been there in the first place. Nina, though, i
Published May 24th 2005 by HarperTorch (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about After The Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After The Rain

Bart
Oct 11, 2010 Bart rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
I get a little tired of marital discord between crie fiction protagonists and their variously estranged spouses. And the relationship between Broker and Nina has always struck me as a semi-incredible one.

But in this book Logan plays it to good and relevant effect.

This is a good read.
Karen Holman
Jun 22, 2017 Karen Holman rated it it was ok
This story fits into the thriller group more than a cozy mystery. The characters give the reader pause in terms of what they do and accomplish, and the setting is North Dakota. copy right 2004
Rob1109
Mar 21, 2015 Rob1109 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unable-to-finish
Simply awful.

From time to time as I walk around the library I’ll pick up a book by an author I’m unfamiliar and try him or her out. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. I recently tried Chuck Logan’s “After the Rain.’ This time not only didn’t it work out but I wasted 2 hours out of my life I’ll never have back.

I respect all authors. Or try to. I try to find something positive but in this case, it was impossible. This book was just total garbage.

I am a big fan of this genre. Some of my f
Robert
Aug 27, 2010 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
The character Phil Broker gets sucked into an investigation that his wife is running on some terrorists up north when his wife uses their 7 year old daughter as part of her cover. Number 5 in the series, I somehow skipped this one and went to the last one. I am glad I caught this and did a bit of backtracking. Logan has written a great series filled with some really interesting characters and this one is no exception. This wife, part time at that, of Brokers is a real strange one. Sometimes you ...more
Aaron Goodyear
Jan 16, 2014 Aaron Goodyear rated it it was amazing
This book is the best of the Phil Broker series. By now if you have read the books in order (I made the mistake of not doing that) you know these are complex and interesting characters. This plot is original and believable all while being unbelievable at the same time. Great descriptions of the Upper Midwest / Southern Canadian landscapes.

This was actually the first book in the series I read, someone had a reviewers copy and it looked interesting so I read it. I am about to reread it after read
Ed
May 04, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#5 in the Phillip Broker series. Finalist 2005 Shamus Award for Best Novel. Broker continues this action packed series after his wife dropped his daughter off in ND at the end of Vapor Trail (2003).

Phillip Broker arrives in ND to pick up his daughter, Kit. He finds that his wife and her Delta team members are there to intercept a nuclear shipment by terrorists and wanted to use Phil and Kim as cover. The bad guys don't buy the cover and figure Nina as a cop from the outset. A cat and mouse game
Mark
Knight-errant Phil Broker and estranged special forces wife Nina Pryce become involved in anti-terrorist activiteis on the northern plains...Maj. Price and her group also involve their child Kit for window dressin in the undercover operation...It all takes off on a page turner with plenty of twists and fascinating characters on both sides...I particularily enjoy the local flavor developed in the characters personally having deep midwestern roots
Ben
Jan 25, 2008 Ben rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those that like Jack Higgins, or Ian Flemming books
A thriller envolving a terrorist plot between a homicidal maniac and lone terrorist, with plans to blow up a nuclear reactor. Vietnam Vet and retired undercover police officer Phil Broker must rescue the country and his family, fast paced action, and subtle twists that make you turn the page in anticipation.
Bob
Oct 04, 2011 Bob rated it really liked it
This isn't a new novel, but it's a pretty good yarn about terrorism coming over the border from Canada into, of all places, North Dakota, to cause an explosion near a nuclear power plant near the Twin Cities in Minnesota.
Good characters you'll care about, and that'll keep the pages turning.
Fair warning: It's more than just a little violent.
Dorothy
Nov 07, 2014 Dorothy rated it it was amazing
I had never read anything by this author but the action kept you interested in finding out what was going to happen. About Nina Price & Phil Broker, husband & wife, who are trying to find the H bomb that they were told is going to explode in Northern USA.
Kris Laabs Malmberg
Oct 13, 2016 Kris Laabs Malmberg rated it liked it
Enjoyed listening to this book and I like this series. While it is predictable I like the characters. The audio book voices are well done. Recommend starting at beginning as later books do give earlier stories away.
Sally
Dec 20, 2013 Sally rated it really liked it
I read Homefront and loved it so much that I then decided to work my way through the rest of Chuck Logan's books. This was a really interesting book with some extremely creepy characters. I definitely plan to read another.
Annie
May 01, 2010 Annie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
a most excellent read!
Laraine
Sep 06, 2013 Laraine rated it really liked it
The 5th book in the excellent Phil Broker series did not disappoint. I really like this author and his books. I'd rate this book a solid 4 - 4 1/2 stars.
Craig Cottingham
Mar 19, 2008 Craig Cottingham rated it liked it
#12 for 2008.
Marisa
Aug 09, 2016 Marisa rated it liked it
A typical entertaining thriller. Nothing unique or significant that differentiates it from any other typical entertaining thriller.
John
Jul 07, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, four stars
Lynn
Lynn rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2008
Bob
Bob rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2016
Michael Mabrey
Michael Mabrey rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Tom Moody
Tom Moody rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Rose R
Rose R rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2014
Chris Montbriand
Chris Montbriand rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2014
Bill Spence
Bill Spence rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Stanley
Stanley rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2014
Kenneth Nordqvist
Kenneth Nordqvist rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2013
Jerry
Jerry rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2009
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2010
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
May 30, 2015
Denise M.
Denise M. rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Hard Rain (Vin Cooper, #3)
  • The Rules of Silence
  • The Cabal (Kirk McGarvey, #14)
  • Silent Enemy (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold #2)
  • Internecine
  • Come as You Are (Dragon One, #3)
  • Intercept (Mack Bedford, #2)
  • Blooming Murder (Iris House B&B, #1)
  • A Fatal Slip (Clay and Crime, #3)
  • The Invisible (Ryan Kealey, #3)
  • The Berlin Conspiracy (Jack Teller, #1)
  • Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)
  • A Small Case of Murder (Joshua Thornton Mystery, #1)
  • Deadman's Bluff (Tony Valentine #7)
  • A Blind Eye (Frank Corso, #3)
  • Fatal Conceit (Butch Karp, #26)
  • Man In The Middle (Sean Drummond, #6)
  • Cold Choices (Jerry Mitchell, #2)
Chuck Logan is an author of crime drama and veteran of the Vietnam War, who lives with his wife and daughter in Stillwater, Minnesota.

He is best known for his series of novels featuring the character Phil Broker, an ex-Minnesota police officer. Logan's novels include Hunter's Moon, Absolute Zero, Vapor Trail, Homefront, and After the Rain. Homefront is now a major motion picture starring James Fra
More about Chuck Logan...

Phil Broker (6 books)
  • The Price Of Blood (Phil Broker, #1)
  • The Big Law (Phil Broker, #2)
  • Absolute Zero (Phil Broker, #3)
  • Vapor Trail (Phil Broker, #4)
  • Homefront (Phil Broker, #6)