Start by marking “Homefront (Phil Broker, #6)” as Want to Read:
Homefront (Phil Broker, #6)

Homefront (Phil Broker #6)

The daughter of ex-cop Phil Broker andex-army major/anti-terrorist operative Nina Pryce, Kit Brokeris no ordinary eight-year-old. She has seen more -- and survived more -- than most grown-ups. And now she has inadvertently invited a nightmare into the lives of those she loves.

Phil Broker and his family moved to tiny Glacier Falls, Minnesota, to heal from the psychological
Published May 30th 2006 by HarperTorch (first published June 28th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Homefront, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homefront

Marse
Jan 31, 2015 Marse rated it really liked it
No soy muy partidaria de leer libros después de ver la película pero ésta me llamó mucho la atención así que lo leí de igual manera.

Home front es de escritura fácil, te inserta fuertemente en la historia y te hace partícipe de todos los acontecimientos. Buenos personajes y las páginas justas, agregarle una más hubiese sido para aburrir, así está bien.

Lo único por lo que no puedo darle 5 estrellas es porque me faltó más drama al final, ese drama que puso James Franco y Jason Staham en la película
Nick Daiker
I kept waiting for it to get interesting. It should be about 150 pages shorter.... It's nothing special but was at least, an entertaining idea.
RockChick19
May 30, 2015 RockChick19 rated it it was amazing
Read the book & was excited to hear they made a movie about it. Well written, kept me on the edge of my seat. If anyone reads the book they must see the movie!
Tagra
Jan 10, 2017 Tagra rated it it was ok
Shelves: quit-reading
I queued this one up because the premise sounded interesting. As I work through my reading queue I often forget why I added books to it, and a chapter or two into this I had to stop and look it up to figure out why the hell I had added it. Then I was like "Oh, right. That DOES sound interesting." I slogged away at it but... I just can't do it. The writing is pretentious and overdone, littered with isolated sentences and choppy wording that's designed to hype up the drama. There's a complete lack ...more
Steve
Dec 24, 2013 Steve rated it liked it
Full disclosure. I ordered this 2005 Chuck Logan release from our local library for a couple of reasons. First, I was curious to know if the Sylvester Stallone movie by the same title as released in November 2013 duplicated the novel. (It turns out; there are apparently some major discrepancies. The film version has the lead character, Phil Broker as a widower. His spouse, Nina Pryce, doesn’t appear in the cast. Their daughter Kit is called Mandy in the film. The screenplay version is set in the ...more
Alain Burrese
Jul 20, 2014 Alain Burrese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I saw “Homefront” by Chuck Logan at the used book store. The repackaging of the cover with the picture of Jason Statham worked, as it is what caught my eye. I enjoyed the movie, so I decided to check out the book that Sylvester Stallone turned into a screenplay.

First of all, the book and movie are quite a bit different. While many of the characters are the same, and there are similarities with the story, there are also some very big differences. The biggest being that Phil Broker's wife is not d
Bob Cantrell
Mar 14, 2015 Bob Cantrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just let the kids handle it

I go this book because I had watch the movie adaptation and wanted to compare the two. As is usually the case the book was different from the movie, but in a good way. Both movie and book show what happens when parents get involved in their children's problems. What starts as a fight between two children ends up turning into a wholly different thing. I don't want to give to much of the story away, but when the big kids get involved things get taken to a whole new level
Gary
Aug 26, 2010 Gary rated it really liked it
Great, complex characters, especially Nina, who suffers from a bout of severe depression throughout most of the book. This author is clearly familiar with the condition as his description of symptoms is right on target. Her husband, Phil, is flawed but still likable. The most interesting aspect of their relationship is that, although he is a tough ex-cop who has no trouble handling himself in a fight, his wife is the real dangerous one in the family and a hero(ine) in her own right. The other ch ...more
Ed
May 04, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
Shelves: action, thriller
#6 in the Phillip Broker series. I guess with only a few exceptions, when I hit the end of a series it doesn't feel like a natural ending and I expect that lack of contract renewal or declining author's health forced the series cessation. This is not one of the exceptions; the series end took me so by surprise that I sought a sequel for years.
Author Logan did write a non-series novel a few years later, South of Shiloh (2008), but nothing since.

Phillip Broker moves his family to a friend's cabin
Mark
Sep 30, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think as much as I like the troupe of South Florida fiction writers, the Minnesota group can be as entertaining and thought provoking...just as John D. MacDonald is the "Godfather" of the 1st group, John Sanford serves the same purpose for the 2nd...Logan is amongst the best of this 2nd group...the Broker series continues the knight-errant hero's story of righting wrongs in the Great Northern Plains by getting into the middle of a meth-making conspiracy and the long-arm of a biker-gang who wan ...more
Roxane
Dec 12, 2013 Roxane rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book. There are some wonderful parts, particularly in how Logan chronicles Nina's struggles with depression. Very interesting physical descriptions but at times, everything is just a little too much. The action scenes are mostly just crazy jumbles of words, lacking coherence. There are weird jumps through time. And also, this book has not been copyedited, which is a problem.

The really sad part is how Nina was written out of the movie entirely but that is a different topic
Kris Laabs malmberg
Oct 02, 2016 Kris Laabs malmberg rated it liked it
I picked up this book because it was available immediately on Overdrive and I needed something to listen to while walking. Had no idea what it was about. I stumbled on the Phil Broker series set in my home state of MN and throughly enjoyed. It was fast moving and kept me guessing. The reader did great voices. This happened to be #6 in the series. I am now starting back at the beginning of the series.
Mikel
Feb 07, 2009 Mikel rated it really liked it
Another good book by Chuck Logan. It portrays a very interesting process his wife, the elite Army soldier, goes through. That said, it's apparent that it's picking up where a previous novel left off, so this series should really be read chronologically.

Logan does a good job with character development and a fair job with plot. His sense of place, northern Minnesota, is refreshing. Made me chilly just to read it.
Donna
Jun 08, 2016 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been slogging through my reading selections recently but that is no reflection on this book. It is pretty good. I wish there were half star ratings though b/c I can't quite bring myself to give it 4 stars but it deserves more than 3...ya feel me? Despite Sylvester Stallone's attachment to the movie I'll probably go see it.
Joan
Jul 22, 2016 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot was engrossing, but it was a little loosely woven making it hard to follow at times. In fairness, I haven't read any of the earlier books in the series - perhaps the plot-line would have been easier to follow if I had that experience behind my reading. I liked the characters and the general story type, but I'm don't know whether I will go back and catch up the series.
Michelle
Mar 05, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
This started off strong but I struggled through the last couple hundred pages. I am more upset that the movie just may end up better than the book in this case. After watching the trailer for the movie and noticing all the changes they made for the movie, I think the movie looks way more intriguing!
Laraine
Oct 03, 2013 Laraine rated it it was amazing
Excellent thriller in the Phil Broker series...would rate it a strong 4 1/2 stars. Hoping he's writing a new book in this series as I am now finished the Broker series and plan to read his 2 stand alones next.
Cherylburnside
Feb 10, 2014 Cherylburnside rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: action story lovers
This story was an action story. It started off a little slow, but with characters with intriguing pasts. I enjoyed the characters and their development very much, and was totally drawn in by the story -- for the second half of the book, I couldn't put it down. Can't wait to see the movie.
Nov 02, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-shelf
A very good book. Struggled with a American language a bit, although still remained attached to the story. Glad of the outcome. I liked the kitten - Ditech (cute thing). The characters are strong. Now I'll enjoy watching the movie.
Jeff Dickison
Feb 20, 2011 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it
Exciting book as special-ops family (Dad, Mom & 8-year old daughter) take on drug induced, crazed, lunatic family. Add a contract killer for good measure. This was an easy book to read and it packs a whallop.
Morgan Barrett
Mar 08, 2014 Morgan Barrett rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Interesting book I would say my biggest thing is I kept waiting for the big moment or twist and it never really came! In the end it became somewhat predictable
Michael
Feb 19, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
This is the best Logan book I've read. Good story, developed characters, minimal preaching. If you are going to read one...make this one it.
Elyssa
Nov 25, 2013 Elyssa rated it really liked it
Was a really good read, I have only read one other Chuck Logan book before this and I liked it. I'm excited to see how this book will be made into a movie!
Icicle4
Jun 26, 2009 Icicle4 rated it really liked it
This one was pretty decent. Lucas Devenport, in one of the "Prey" books, was reading a Chuck Logan book so decided to give them a try.
Kristie Anderson
Jan 23, 2015 Kristie Anderson rated it it was amazing
Wow! An amazing, engaging read from beginning to end. I only wish I had read the series before to get a better feel for the referenced preceding events.
Tyler
Mar 21, 2014 Tyler rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Not bad, it was a little slow in the beginning, I couldn't get into the characters very well then it hooked me.
Mary Kaye
Jun 23, 2014 Mary Kaye rated it really liked it
A good action story - sympathetic characters - some non-expected outcomes - predictable ending: all the bad guys got theirs, the good guys may/may not arrive at some peace.
Rebekkila
Oct 27, 2016 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
JKR
JKR rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2015
Elly Wendy
Jul 12, 2013 Elly Wendy rated it liked it
Liked it! Women in the Forces, family, drugs, action.
  • A Blind Eye (Frank Corso, #3)
  • The Face of the Assassin
  • The Cabal (Kirk McGarvey, #14)
  • Deadman's Bluff (Tony Valentine #7)
  • Dead White
  • Ghost Dance
  • Penance (Holland Taylor, #1)
  • Outer Perimeter
  • Crucified  (Special X, #13)
  • The Promised War (Sam Deker, #1)
  • Atlantic Fury
  • Sweepers
  • Jump at the Sun
  • The Reckoning
  • Turncoat
  • Battle for Atlantis (Atlantis, #6)
  • The Lure
  • The Sacrifice Game (Jed de Landa, #2)
Chuck Logan is an author of crime drama and veteran of the Vietnam War, who lives with his wife and daughter in Stillwater, Minnesota.

He is best known for his series of novels featuring the character Phil Broker, an ex-Minnesota police officer. Logan's novels include Hunter's Moon, Absolute Zero, Vapor Trail, Homefront, and After the Rain. Homefront is now a major motion picture starring James Fra
More about Chuck Logan...

Phil Broker (6 books)
  • The Price Of Blood (Phil Broker, #1)
  • The Big Law (Phil Broker, #2)
  • Absolute Zero (Phil Broker, #3)
  • Vapor Trail (Phil Broker, #4)
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)