Start by marking “Monkey Wrench” as Want to Read:
Monkey Wrench

Monkey Wrench (A Quilting Mystery #4)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  26 reviews
With two weeks left before the annual Quilters Crawl, Dewey Pellicano is excited to showcase her quilt shop. Quilters from all over visit as many quilting shops as they can within a short time. But Dewey's planning and Twitter promotion are cut short when her assistant manager, Vangie, is implicated in her boyfriend's untimely demise.
Published May 8th 2012 by Midnight Ink (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Monkey Wrench, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monkey Wrench

LORI CASWELL
It's time for the annual Quilter's Crawl and this year Quilters Paradiso (QP) is back on the map as part of the crawl. Over the weekend quilters will travel to 12 different quilt shops in the area for special bargains and prizes. Vangie from QP has even set up a Twitter promotion to help boost sales.

Getting everything set up and organized has been quite hectic as Vangie has college classes to work around and a new boyfriend. The store's long time teacher Pearl is starting to fail a bit so she is...more
Susan
Monkey Wrench is 4th in the Quilting Mystery series by Terri Thayer, set in present-day San Jose California.

Dewey Pellicano owns QP, the quilt shop formerly known as Quilter Paradiso, founded by her late mother. Dewey did not originally intend to be a quilter nor a business owner, but now is very proud of her shop, and fond of her staff and the regular shoppers.

Dewey has entered QP in this year's Quilter's Crawl, a quilt shop hop. QP has not been part of the Crawl since her mother's death, and D...more
Karen
Quite a scrapy little tale.... Vivid, memorable, characters and a plot that just keeps twisting.

I wouldn't quite call this a Cozy Mystery because there wasn't much of an attempt at humor. I did find myself chuckeling at the pictures my mind would draw of the sometime comedic "grandmother" figure of Pearl.

Good friends... not so good friends... and some customers that you want to choke, make the "Monkey Wrench" feel like an afternoon of neighborhood gossip.

I enjoyed the ambiance of the quilting st...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This book was an cozy murder mystery revolving around a quilting store and one of it's employees/friends. There was a secondary tale about watching out for our elder friends that also can get into troubles.

The store's name is "QP" and the owner is Dewey Pellicano. I really do not know too much about her other than she has a policeman boyfriend, Buster. The reason is I haven't read the first three books in the series, and in this case, you need to go back to fill in the blanks.

This book finds a...more
This wasn't the cloying cozy I'd anticipated, nor was it much of a mystery. Instead, this series about a quilt shop owner, her police officer boyfriend and her staff and quilting friends is really more of a character study hung around a vague mystery. There are two dead bodies and one attempt (that's the cozy part), and luckily the characters don't go a-sleuthing but do what most of us would do when faced with an unexpected, untimely death.

What was surprising was how little quilting actually ca...more
Kaye
Dewey Pellicano is trying to make a name for her quilting shop, the QP, during the annual Quilter's Crawl (12 shops in 4 days, participants need to get their "passports" stamped at each shop in order to be eligible for prizes). Her assistant manager, Vangie, has come up with a Twitter promotional giveaway, and has a lot on her plate. So while Dewey's police officer boyfriend Buster is working day in-day out, her favorite customer/teacher Pearl is having problems and takes in a "GrandSon" from th...more
Marge
This book hardly seems to fit with the first three in the series. Sloppy editing and lazy writing made this book a chore to finish.

The author can only describe emotions with bodily functions and most times its 3 words sentences. My scalp crawled, my heart pounded, my gut roiled, my innards clenched. Really??? She is taken in the arms of her lover and her response - my shoulders heaved.

This book was all over the map has far as the characters were concerned and Dewey running the quilt shop was ma...more
Scilla
Dewey Pellicano runs a quilt shop and dates an homicide detective. Her employee, Vangie, is going to college and is found dead is Vangie's car. Dewey goes to pick up flyers for a Quilters Crawl, designed by an Art Instructor, Sonya, at the college. There she finds an ad for students looking get an inexpensive room in exchange for helping around the house, by being a GrandSon for elderly women. Dewey recommends it to her elderly quilt teacher whose husband has recently died. The GrandSon isn't so...more
Jill
I didn't see that ending coming! As a wannabe quilter I do enjoy this series of books. I wish the author would have included the instructions for the Monkey Wrench quilt block. Having been on quilting shop hops it was fun to read about a fictional one that gave a little look into the excitement of a real Shop Hop.

I believe this is #4 in the series. Dewey/Buster, her boyfriend/ Vangie, employee and some of the others from the rest of the series all add to the story line.
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
A quick read, I can't really say why definitively, but I just found this one to be o.k. The characters just didn't gibe with me this time, I guess? It's well written and the plot was solid and creative (although I guessed the murderer almost right away, it was just that - a guess). Perhaps the series is fading for me, or maybe it was just that I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I read it? I wouldn't steer anyone away from it; I just didn't love it.
Kemi
I enjoyed this book. It wasn't great literature by any means, but it was a fun, fast-paced, quick read.

There were a few editing mistakes in the book. They were minor things, like using "come" instead of "came", forgetting quotation marks, and misspelling a word, but they were noticeable enough to pull me out of the story.

Overall, though, I liked what I read. I will go back and read the first book in the series, as well as new ones that are published.
Sandy H
These books are basic entertainment. I like Thayer's basic writing style and the mysteries are decently engaging. I do wish some of the characters weren't quite so caricatured--very one-sided. By book four, I'm pretty able to pinpoint early on who the perpetrator is because the books run to a bit of a formula. I will continue to read future books in the series, I'm sure, but will be hoping for a little less formula and a little more surprise.
Susan
Dewey is busy readying her quilt shop for the annual Quilter's Crawl, but her young assistant Vangie is in trouble, and so is her elderly customer and friend Pearl. Dewey thinks having a college aged boarder will help Pearl, but soon Pearl is so into helping the young man that she's rejecting her other friends. Then Vangie discovers her boyfriend dead, and becomes a suspect. Naturally, Dewey has to help.
Maggie
This was a fun quilting mystery. A quilting crawl involving multiple shops and lots of customers leads to a death. Dewey's Quilter's Paradise shop is right in the thick of things. I felt Dewey's pain as folks criticized her for changing her mother's shop to suit her. I had the same comments when I updated my mother's house for resale. You'd have thought I hung Elvis impersonators all over the Eiffel Tower.
Susan
I would have given this 2.5 stars if I could have. It seemed that the plot took a long time to come together while Dewey tried to manage the Quilter's Crawl. Reading about the quilt shop is what saved this book for me. I was glad to see that Kym made only brief appearances as Dewey's animosity toward her has been totally overdone in the previous three books.
Really enjoyed this series
Melodie
Been awhile since the last one in this series came out, so I was pleasantly surprised to see this one become available. Good read! A couple of murders, drug dealers....and a quilter's crawl. I like this series, except for the 3rd one! RECOMMEND!
Cindy
May 15, 2012 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Next best thing to a quilt shop hop or quilters crawl is reading about one. But I prefer to shop hop without murders! :) This is the 4th in this series and I've enjoyed them all. Excellent read!
Sandybear76
Dewey and her new and improved Quilt store is a part of the annual Quilter's Crawl and she adds Twitter to the new promotional stuff. But the Twitter causes a quilter's death or did it?
Cristina
I enjoyed this book. It has the most mystery in it of the 3 in the series. It kept me guessing to the end. As usual, it make me want to head to my local quilt shop.
Sanya Weathers
Serviceable. Same exact template as that yarn series I read, but less annoying and with better writing.

I should probably give up on cozies.
Cynthia Rielley
good characters and pacing, maybe a bit easy to predict but worth the ride.
Jan
Very enjoyable! Great characters, terrific plot! I will read the whole series.
Rachel
The mystery is good, but there is ALOT of unnecessary plot points.
Dorothy Persch
Read October 2012 - another quilt thriller
Lis Carey
These are remarkably tiresome people.
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Wenonah
Wenonah marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
I am the author of seven mysteries. Four quilting mysteries: WILD GOOSE CHASE, OLD MAID'S PUZZLE, OCEAN WAVES, MONKEY WRENCH.

I am a quilter, have been for more than 20 years. I love fabric and reading and writing mysteries.
More about Terri Thayer...
Wild Goose Chase (A Quilting Mystery, #1) Stamped Out (A Stamping Sisters Mystery, #1) Old Maid's Puzzle (A Quilting Mystery, #2) Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3) Inked Up (Stamping Sisters, #2)