Start by marking “Sentinel (Spycatcher, #2)” as Want to Read:

Sentinel (Spycatcher #2)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  307 ratings  ·  63 reviews

Fourteen days ago, CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia, received a cryptic me
Published August 7th 2012 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Sentinel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sentinel

Onyx by Jennifer L. ArmentroutEternal Beast by Laura WrightOrigins by Jessica L. PadillaThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasNevermore by James Patterson
Best books of August, 2012
55th out of 107 books — 265 voters
Insurgent by Veronica RothOnyx by Jennifer L. ArmentroutObsidian by Jennifer L. ArmentroutThe Golden Lily by Richelle MeadHallowed by Cynthia Hand
Must-Read Books of 2012
310th out of 445 books — 458 voters

More lists with this book...

Marci
William Cochrane is a super spy for M16. Sentinel is the code name of one of his colleague’s stations in Eastern Europe. When Sentinel’s tier 1 agents within the Russian military begin to be murdered, Will is sent to help Sentinel save his move valuable assets and hunt down Razin, a former double-agent who is responsible for the murders. He must use his highly trained skills to track down Razin and stop him before a new war erupts between Russia and America.

Matthew Dunn brings first-hand spy kn
Patrice Hoffman
*Won through a goodreads giveaway*

I really hate starting books in the middle of the series because my view of that book may not be fair. But... judging from the reviews of others on this website I may not have missed much. This book is about a spy who's chasing another spy. Enough said? Need more? Well that's all there was. The chracters were all one-dimensional and the writing was so-so. Given my hang ups... I did actually like the book.

There's nonstop action and gruesome moments in this book t
Amy Lignor
In the world of ‘Spymasters,’ this author has no equal. With this offering, number two in the ‘Spycatcher’ series, Mr. Dunn takes the reader’s breath away with more suspense, action, mystery and endless adventure that any one person can handle.

Our main character, MI-6 agent Will Cochrane, is back in action and asked to decode a partial message that was received at CIA headquarters in Virginia. The message is from a deep cover agent located in Russia and reads: He has betrayed us and wants to go
Scott
Matthew Dunn's "Spycatcher" series (now, with "Sentinel," into its second book but is clearly destined for a long run) follows America's most lethal agent, Will Cochrane, in a breakneck race against a madman to save the world from a Russian madman and nuclear war.

That general plot description could apply to many of the novels written during the Cold War era. We've trodden this ground before - the question becomes whether Dunn does so in such a way that we don't mind all that much.

On the good sid
Nelson Pahl
I like Matthew Dunn's series. I really do. But I have two issues with this series, and especially this book: 1.) His action scenes are more tedious, boring, and lacking in suspense than Brad Thor's; it takes him MINUTES to describe what should take seconds in the real world. 2.) I don't, for the life of me, understand why he has Will turn into such a wuss at the end of this book; he's a spy, supposed to be void of emotion and not the "sensitive" type, so why does he wuss out? Just take the shot, ...more
Larry
This is the second book by Matthew Dunn. It follows his MI6 Spy Will Cochrane as he tried to head off the destruction of MI6's long term spy's 10 assets within Russia. The long term spy is named "Sentinel." Has an interesting turn of events at the end of the book. Good new writer and series. I recommend to the Vince Flynn, Brad Thor reader. You'll enjoy this series. The first in the series and the debut novel by Dunn is titled "Spycatcher." Suggest you start with that one first.
Bpp531
It is very very rare for me to start a book and not finish it. But unfortunately, this was just one of those books. The writing is below average. The characters have absolutely zero depth to them. Literally, zero. The I'm single, lonely and depressed story line seems completely forced. The plot is disjointed and takes gigantic leaps of logic to make sense of it. Never has there been such a dull and lifeless main character.
Maxim
Fast paced but even more preposterous than first volume in series. Giving up on it now...
Even though author has an intelligence background, this is all too unbelievable and written with movie in mind. Too far-fetched and on the wrong side of pulp...
Irwin
Jul 01, 2012 Irwin marked it as to-read
I just won this book free as a goodreads giveaway! I am waiting to read it. Thanks.
Victor Gentile
Matthew Dunn in his new book, “Sentinel” Book Two in the Spycatcher series published by William Morrow gives us another adventure with master spy Will Cochrane.

From the back cover: The United States and Russia are on the brink of war and only Will Cochrane—the master spy introduced in the critically acclaimed Spycatcher—can find and unmask the diabolical double agent responsible for it all in this enthralling espionage thriller, written by a real-life former field officer.

Fourteen days ago, CIA
Alla
“Sentinel” by Matthew Dunne is a follow-up to his debut novel “Spycatcher” featuring spy Will Cochrane. This time it’s a joint MI6 and CIA operation, trying to catch the traitor MI6 Russian agent who is killing off other MI6 Russian agents one by one, before making an explosion look like it’s coming from the U.S. submarine and trigger Russia to go to war. The identity of the traitor is unmasked early on—and from then on it’s a trail of explosions, assassinations, booby traps, and victims who kne ...more
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may also read my review at: http://www.mybookishways.com/2013/02/...

When Sentinel opens, a Russian undercover operative for MI6 makes his way through a dense, sleet pounded forest to send a message saying only “He has betrayed us and wants to go to war.” When Will Cochrane infiltrates the remote Rybachy base in order to locate the submarine captain, codenamed “Svelte”, Will finds him in his quarters, mortally injured, and with his dying breath, Svelte names the man responsible for his attack
Pamela Kramer
The words of Matthew Dunn, author of "Sentinel," a Spycatcher novel, radiate authenticity. As a matter of fact, they emit deadly doses of authentically drawn poisonous radiation. This man writes as if he's "been there, done that" with good reason. He has.

Dunn is a former MI6 field officer (a British agent/spy), and his hero in these Spycatcher novels is Will Cochrane, also a master spy, of course. Cochrane is more of a free-lance spy-for-hire than Dunn apparently was, but he's a good guy, a good
Steve
Disclosure: I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Thanks to the publishers for the opportunity to read this book for an unbiased review.

I had fun reading this book. The plot is fast-paced, if requiring a little suspension of disbelief. Sure, the characters are no deeper than in most spy movies. But there is plenty of in-depth detail on weaponry (lost on me) and on the geography, society and security organizations of Russia. (Brought back fond memories of my time in Moscow
Holly Cline
I won this through first reads. It was no more and no less than what you'd expect from a pop fiction spy novel. Lots of action and guns and Russians. If that's your thing, this book is worth it. I like a little more substance and a little less superficial flash in my spy novels, but I can definitely see the appeal.

I guess what rubs me the wrong way is that large portions of the book want to be a screenplay rather than a novel. The language can get choppy and overly descriptive. I also don't need
Lynn Farris

"Sentinel” may be the scariest book I have ever read because it sounds so plausible. That may be because the author, Matthew Dunn, spent five years in the British Secret Intelligence Service as a field operative. During the time that Matthew served, he ran 70 missions, all of which were successful. According to his biography, “Medals are never awarded to modern M16 officers, but Matthew was the recipient of a very rare personal commendation from the Secretary of State for Foreign & Commonwea
Ronald Roseborough
From the suspenseful opening pages to the action packed ending, this is a nonstop winner. Will Cochrane is the agent in the joint CIA-MI6 cosponsored Spartan program. That's right, The Agent. Only one man can be the best and that man is Will Cochrane. The best is what we need, because someone has betrayed the CIA and is about to push the US and Russia into war. Will is going to have to try and contact the British secret agent, coded named Sentinel, who has been buried deep undercover in Russia f ...more
Wilde Sky
A rogue Russian agent tries to start a nuclear war.

I found the story started off reasonably well but then became bogged down in detail / ludicrous plotting. The writing was clunky / long winded from the start.

If this book had been edited (remove a 100 pages) and the plot had been reviewed, it could have been much better.
Mark
Set in a modern-day "cold war" Sentinel takes place in Russia and eastern Europe as CIA/MI6 agents rush to find who is killing their double agents -- a man who wants to start the nuclear war to end all wars. I am not a big fan of nuclear war novels, but found myself drawn into the single life of Will and his mission. A compassionate, yet well-trained MI6 agent, Will seeks out his captured friend to help resolve the impending war. Filled with travels throughout Europe and Russia, Sentinel is a go ...more
Marlan Govender
What is it with this author and his use of the word 'secreted'? No one hid or snuck or concealed...they always secreted.
That and this story was definitely written with a movie in mind. A straight-to-dvd movie. If you're into mindless, unrealistic stories, watch a movie instead.
Randy
For his sophomore effort, Matthew Dunn gives us a more compact tale than the first.

This time out, Will Cochrane, code name Spartan, is sent into Russia to a submarine base to find as asset that got out a hurried, cryptic message, "He has betrayed us and wants to go to war."

He arrives to find the base being taken over by parachuting Russian troops. They were looking for someone and Will knew it must be who he was there to see. Only two people knew he was in Russia and Will trusted both.

Moving qui
Maria Mitchell
This book was fast paced and full of action. There were many characters making an appearance and the two main, Will and Sentinel, were likable and believable. The novel had a huge body count - some predictable and some shocking. Even a little romance was thrown in during the last third of the book. Was a enjoyable cat-and-mouse adventure story to read and had a huge game-changer at the end. I've never read spy novels before but I would like to read more by author Matthew Dunn since he brings his ...more
Susie
Timely with the events in Russia. Fast paced and keeps you guessing.
Michael D.
Great book and thrilling writing!!!
Nev Thomas
Excellent spy thriller
Les Gehman
Sentinel: A Spycatcher Novel by Matthew Dunn is the second novel in the Spycatcher series. Sentinel is a very fun cat vs. mouse (or more accurately cat vs. cat) thriller involving spies in the former Soviet Union. This book has the feel of a classic James Bond novel with an incredibly talented and resourceful hero battling a nearly unstoppable opponent. There's plenty of action to keep the reader interested. Recommended for those who enjoy a good, straight-forward spy novel.
Kevin
I received this book through the Goodreads First Read program.

Characters were well developed and were easy to get into. Found it hard to put the book down once I got into the story line. Will have to get his first Spycatcher book that he wrote. Have never read a spy novel before but found myself getting pullind into the description of the terrain and cities of Russia and Eastern Europe. Very enjoyable book and would recommned to anyone.
Dan
Will Cochrane is a super spy (think James Bond) and in this one he must stop a double agent from starting a war between the United States and Russia. This is a modern day “Cold War” story that is suspenseful and thrilling. There are slow points and disjointed dialogue. But if you take it for what it is – fantasy (one man trying to save the world), I think you’d enjoy it.
Brad
This book was a bit clunky at points, but it was apparent the author had first hand experience with the world of spycraft and espionage, so I was able to get past that and enjoy a fresh, more reality-bound thriller. It was good enough to make me want to run down the prequel and read it as well. Third book in the series coming in July.
Goodreads Librari...: Not sure which author the books belong to 4 21 Sep 25, 2012 06:14PM
  • Tier One Wild (Delta Force, #2)
  • The Renegades (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #3)
  • Godchild
  • The Hot Country (Christopher Marlowe Cobb Thriller, #1)
  • The Equalizer: A Novel
  • Thirst
  • Quarry's List (Quarry, #2)
  • Prepare
  • Act Of Terror (Jericho Quinn, #2)
  • Widow's Might (A Liv Bergen Mystery #3)
  • The Wanderers (The Veiled Isles Trilogy, #3)
  • The Tenth Witness
  • The Deep Six
  • The World Between (The Kriterion Saga, #1)
  • Happy Birthday to You (Birthday Trilogy, #3)
  • To Wander The Labyrinth
  • Silent Partner
  • Lehrter Station (John Russell, #5)
Matthew Dunn spent 5 years in the British Secret Intelligence Service, commonly known as MI6, as a field operative. His role required him to recruit and run agents, coordinate and participate in special operations, and to operate in deep-cover roles throughout the world in order to collect secret intelligence to support the West’s ongoing fight against hostile and unpredictable regimes, state-spon ...more
More about Matthew Dunn...

Spycatcher (4 books)
  • Spycatcher (Spycatcher, #1)
  • Slingshot (Spycatcher, #3)
  • Dark Spies (Spycatcher, #4)
Spycatcher (Spycatcher, #1) Slingshot (Spycatcher, #3) Dark Spies (Spycatcher, #4) Counterspy(Will Cochrane E-Short #1) Untitled Will Cochrane E-Short #2