Start by marking “Wizard Born (Wizard Born, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wizard Born (Wizard Born, #1)

Wizard Born (Wizard Born #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  209 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When Eddan, an ancient sorcerer, is mortally wounded by a bitter rival, he escapes to Earth and gives himself a chance to be reborn as Jamie Sikes. The boy grows up oblivious to his nature, safe and secure, in a loving family. Or so he thinks.
Jamie is destined to become a sorcerer, and the more Eddan’s memories and power bubble up in Jamie’s consciousness, the more powerfu
Published (first published September 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Wizard Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wizard Born

R.L. Austin
I stumbled upon Wizard Born while perusing Amazon, and after reading the sample I purchased it. I'm very glad I did.

The story follows the birth and early childhood of Jamie Sikes, a young man born to become a sorcerer. The pace is slow, especially at the start, but not necessarily in a bad way. I was able to relate to the characters well enough that I simply enjoyed being a fly on the wall as Jamie, Fred, and Rollie became friends and grew up together.

About of the way through the pace quickened
Marv
Really nice book.
I always like the growing up parts of those reincarnation stories, even through this isn't your classic reincarnation I was really happy to have found a book that has more of that only two or three chapters at the beginning
Melanie
A wonderfully engaging character study of a boy growing up year by year with his loyal friends. He is no ordinary boy however as he know things about magic from his previous life as a wizard on another world. He knows he has to kill his enemy who wishes to remove all magic from all worlds. The most interesting part is how moral questions arise and are dealt with by the children, without involving adults. Together they vow a moral code which becomes the boy's guide for life, even though he knows ...more
Julia Phillips
This book isn't badly written and it has an interesting plot. And yet, I struggled to plough through it and finally abandoned the attempt at chapter 31. What defeated me was the detailed description of the daily life of growing toddlers. When chapter 31 opened with "Sixth grade was full of challenges..." and then started talking about girls flirting with the main character I threw in the towel.

It's extremely rare for me not to finish a book as I read constantly and have very wide ranging interes
Chris Robison
This book has an interesting premise. When I started the book, I honestly expected the growing up years to go a lot faster and then spend more time on confronting the issue the book establishes at the beginning. Turns out the whole book was the growing up years and 1 page was dedicated to the resolution of the problem introduced at the beginning of the book. To be honest, I was a little disappointed at how fast the bad guy got dispatched in the end. I do plan on reading the other books to see wh ...more
Armand
Jan 19, 2012 Armand rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Armand by: found on amazon.
This book starts with an interesting premise which is that an ancient wizard reincarnates his essence into a new born baby (James, if I remember correctly) in order to escape a powerful, evil enemy. Then the story goes back about a year to follow James' parents. Then James parents deal with their own parents. Then they buy a house. Then they get pregnant. Then they talk about furniture and jobs. Then they make friends. Then the friends move away. Then the dad argues with his parents. Then the mo ...more
Bill Norton
I really enjoyed this book. This is a story about about a modern day boy, born in North Carolina, whom inherits a master socerers powers. The story takes you through the child's life, and while it's light reading, it is original and quite entertaining. I think Mr Johnson did a good job with this trilogy, and I'll be looking for more of his work in the future.
Dominique Hutches
A wizard, desperate to escape a foul sorcerer who is killing off all the others, escapes through a drawn door to our world. There he acquires and sells a house to a young couple who has had no luck conceiving a child. Once they buy the house, he disappears into the backyard ground, leaving behind only his clothes. Shortly afterward, the couple finds out they are pregnant - with Jamie. As Jamie grows up (and this takes a full 2/3rds of the book (my only complaint)), he has two best friends, Rolli ...more
Fiona MacLellan
I quite enjoyed this book, although I do think it would have benefitted from not spending so much time on the mundane growing up parts of Jamie's life. That said the book was a fun distraction and I look forward to reading the others in the series.
Stéphane
It's contemporary fantasy, but not epic, more like a simple life story with a bit of magic. It's written with short snapshot of the protagonist life, in order, no jumping through time. This build up the characters nicely. I liked this way of writing that is different from usual. The story is simple, there is no surprise or complex plot, I liked it because the writing make it easy and quick to read. It's different and I liked that too.
Buy it to read between two masterpiece for an interlude, you
xenofixus

Decent read. Too little time was spent on the climax and conclusion. For about 80% of the book almost nothing important plot-wise happened. While I am all for slice-of-life situations, I felt having the climax and conclusion known from the start while having almost no buildup to them detracted from the overall story. No real plans to read anymore of the series.

Chris
Second time I have read this book. Still a great read. Check it out.

Well didn't realize it but this makes it the third time around and still a great read. Don't know what it is but once I start I have a hard time putting it down.
Ron Sturm
A unique way of character development! If you like reading about wizards and magic, you will enjoy this book.
Vesra (When She Reads)
Vesra (When She Reads) marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Tyler Menna
Tyler Menna marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
May 27, 2015
Robert Dowse
Robert Dowse is currently reading it
May 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Ministry of Pandemonium
  • The Greek Gods
  • The Cornerstone
  • Greek Gods and Heroes
  • The Nine Keys of Magic
  • A Mage's Power (Journey to Chaos, #1)
  • Tarah Woodblade (Bowl of Souls, #6 / Jharro Grove Saga, #1)
  • The Academy: Book 2
  • Middleworld (Jaguar Stones, #1)
  • How to Disappear Completely and Never Be Found
  • The Sorcerer's Destiny (The Sorcerer's Path, #8)
  • ParaNorman: A Novel Extended Free Preview
  • Flying the Storm
  • She Who Has No Name (Legacy, #2)
  • Of North Blood Drawn (Magen, #1)
  • Red Moon Demon  (Demon Lord, #1)
  • One Million Tiny Plays About Britain
  • The Man That Time Forgot
Geof Johnson was born in Florence, South Carolina, and grew up in Jacksonville, Florida. He eventually found his way to Florida State University, where he earned a degree in music theory and pursued a career as a songwriter and performer.

The last few years, Geof has devoted himself to writing fiction and has completed eight novels.
More about Geof Johnson...

Wizard Born (5 books)
  • Red Witch  (Wizard Born, #2)
  • The Wizard Returns (Wizard Born, #3)
  • Shadow Witch (Wizard Born, #4)
  • Doorways to Infinity (Wizard Born, #5)
Red Witch  (Wizard Born, #2) The Wizard Returns (Wizard Born, #3) Shadow Witch (Wizard Born, #4) Doorways to Infinity (Wizard Born, #5) The Seer of Danea