God Loves Broken People: And Those Who Pretend They're Not

God Loves Broken People: And Those Who Pretend They're Not

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Readers encounter a new message about God's redemptive plan for their failures and shortcomings. In this powerful book full of deep biblical teaching, Walsh encourages readers with God's truth that he is not done with them yet, that he can and will redeem their failures to create a deeper intimacy with him and accomplish his kingdom purposes.
Published March 13th 2012 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published January 1st 2012)

Penny Lane
The title of this book sums it up pretty well. “God Loves Broken People (and those who pretend they’re not)”. This message is clear throughout. The reader is given several examples of what it means to be broken, and then scripture that shows us that God is still there during those times. This is not a self-help book explaining how to remove the hardships from our life, but rather a book meant to explain why hard times are okay and actually scriptural.

This book reads almost like a personal journa...more
Darin
Author Sheila Walsh does a marvelous job of displaying the love of God to those who are wounded and broken in this hurtful world.
She helps the reader to understand that whether you are a young or mature Christian you will face various trials and broken moments within your life. While the believer changes God's love for them never does.
She shares how there is nothing that a believer will face that God isn't prepared for and ready to help in the time of need. He never runs from trouble so the bel...more
Erlyn Trinidad
I got the book from Booksneeze in ebook format. Here goes the review:

Things I Like about the book:
- I like that the author seems to be a book lover herself. The book is peppered with stories, insights and excerpts from other books she's read.
- I like the fact that she has pointed out numerous situations that a lot of people, Christian or not, are able to empathize i.e. questions about children suffering, tough times that happen in a Christian's life, especially the ones that seem to come one a...more
Edwina Cowgill
God Loves Broken People
Sheila Walsh

In God Loves Broken People, Sheila Walsh brings a message of hope to all of us. Because at one time or another, all of us have been broken and in need of that message.

From the introduction, titled “It’s Okay Not to be Okay” to chapters such as “I’m Not Waving, I’m Drowning,” “Fierce Love and Halloween Grace” and “Only the Wounded Can Serve” we are bombarded with the fact of God’s boundless, extravagant love for us and we are comforted with reminders of His grac...more
Debbie
" God Loves Broken People: And Those Who Pretend They're Not" by Sheila Welsh is a five star book.

I saw Sheila Welsh at a Women of Faith conference and have looked for her books ever since and found this one at my local library and I am not disappointed.

This book is about how to turn your brokenness to God to allow Him to show you how strongly He loves us.

This book is about brokenness but I don't believe you have to be in a broken state to get encouragement from it!

Sheila uses her life's struggl...more
Jackie
God Loves Broken People by Shelia Walsh

I was given this book free from booksneeze in exchange for my honest review. I knew I would want to read this book because I love the author and have seen her on television over the years.
I know I often have expectations of my teenager and my own expectations make me feel desperate, despaired or desolate. This is how I feel when I expect Jesus to answer my requests and prayers, RIGHT NOW. It is in His timing that the answers will come not in my own. I’ve al...more
Erin
I got this free book from Booksneeze in exchange for a review. First of all, I’d like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. To read about God’s closeness was uplifting and inspiring. People who read this book will be comforted and encouraged to seek a close relationship with God. This book teaches that God will lift people up when they have failed, and lets them know that He has a plan for them. The author tells us that we all suffer, and that God will be there to comfort us in hard times....more
Andrew
In God Loves Broken People, Shelia Walsh enforced the concept of dealing with your feelings of being broken. There are many ways to handle your wounds from your past. Shelia encouraged readers to believe and study what the Bible declares over your difficult circumstances. She described her own feelings about hurts in life and not understanding why bad things happen. She wrote this book to reveal her own struggles with her broken pieces. Jesus is always there to assist us when we are going throug...more
Rhonda
Review of God Loves Broken People (And those Who Pretend They're Not) by Sheila Walsh
I highly recommend this book to any one who is struggling with pain and discouragement in their lives (and who among us isn't?). Sheila Walsh uses real-life stories from her own experiences and that of others to reach out to the broken among us. She uses examples of great people, even Mother Teresa and her own personal struggles with God and His love. She points out that Mother Teresa had faith AND doubt. I onc...more
Pilar
Sheila Walsh is an eloquent speaker. She is also a wonderful storyteller and Bible teacher. I appreciated her honesty and transparency in her writing. There is no fluff, Sheila Walsh tells it like it is. She also writes with a heart of compassion and love for people which is revealed on every page of this book.

I identified and resonated with what she wrote on page 45:

"God isn't some cosmic jukebox in the sky, from which, so long as you have the right coin, you get to pick the soundtrack for your...more
Cherie Hill
This book (I am reviewing the Kindle version) had all the makings of a powerful read: A GREAT Title, catchy subtitle, and a much needed message in a world that is hurting. The problem is that the content failed to deliver. I was hoping for a message that would inspire, encourage, and lift up my heart. The introduction and following chapters failed to even come close to doing any of those things.

If you are able to make it through the introduction, Chapter 6 is written well and the whole book's me...more
Aubrey
I just finished reading Sheila Walsh's, God Loves Broken People courtesy of BookSneeze and really enjoyed it. Walsh, has walked through difficult times and many experiences that have led to brokenness. His healing, and a mindset full of God's Word as truth have allowed her brokenness to be used for His glory...and a reminder to others that we all experience suffering and brokenness. Walsh gives a truth-filled reminder of purpose in the brokenness and honest look at a restoration process that mak...more
Donna
Jan 05, 2013 Donna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adult women
Recommended to Donna by: Booksneeze
When I received this book a few months ago from the Booksneeze program, it started out as a hard read. Basically I think it was me and not the book. I've read so many books on hurt, broken people and the numerous suggestions to accomplish successful healing. This weekend a terrible storm came by and took out my power, phone and cable. I was a captive audience. Again I opened the book and in minutes was hooked.

Throughout the pages I was comforted by glimpses of the lives of the author, Sheila Wal...more
Paula C. Whitehouse
God Loves Broken People (and Those Who Pretend They're Not) by Sheila Walsh is all about tackling personal brokenness and how it can allow for a greater intimacy with Jesus. Sheila explains that without brokenness a deeper level of intimacy with Jesus "might never open in any other way". The overall message of the book is that broken people can be made whole again through Jesus.

I found the book very helpful and practical in its approach to the topic. It has helped me to develop a closer relation...more
Mychele
I Love Love Love Love this book!!!! Never have I ever read a book that brought me to tears with in the first 5 pages. I was one of those people who knew they were broken but didn't know the extent of it. This book is a great at showing that we all need Jesus and just how much God loves us. It doesn't beat you up with accusations or point out your imperfections. In fact she points out more of her own and then shows us the love of God in the mist of the brokeness. We are human, meaning we all sin...more
Karen Gutherless
Poignant and definitely not insipid or vacuous....

This book will deepen your life script and hopefully make it a more vibrant faith in God that supersedes your tangible black and white thinking of God. It will make you look into your soul and see how messy things really are and still feel Loved by God. It makes repentance look more meaningful and challenges the process to be looked at in a real way.

Karen Haynes Gutherless, MA, MACC, LMHP, CPC
Tracy
This is a wonderfully real book! Sheila is gifted by our Lord in speaking to the hearts of his people
Brenda
Since I read my first Sheila Walsh book in 2007, I've been a huge fan. As with her other works, God Loves Broken People is full of personal stories of how God has used Sheila's own troubled past for good, as well as plenty of reflections on Scripture. I received this book through Booksneeze, so a more thorough review is coming soon to my blog!
Janet Pittman
I've heard Sheila speak several times... reading this book is like listening to her share her perspective over coffee in-person! I found the stories she shared very touching and loved the bible verses... many of my favorite verses were included. Excellent read!
Val
This was a fantastic book, made that much better as the audiobook read by the author. I would highly recommend this book, as it is well-written, theologically sound, and greatly encouraging. This is a book I will look to own in the future.
Eileen Parsons
Fantastic book. Sheila shares stories from her past, events that the Lord used to help her see His unfailing, unconditional love for her - and all of His creation - despite our faults and failings.
Deborah
Sheila is a comforter to others in this book. She always writes from her heart and is not afraid to share her own doubts and trials. She is a model for the power of faith.
Katie
I love Sheila Walsh. I feel what she has felt and it helps to know that you can survive anything. I needed this book right now, and it helped me.
Steve
Again, Sheila uses many words to say virtually nothing. Too similar to "Honestly".
Terri
Really good book. When she writes another book I will surely read it.
Abril Menicucci
Feb 14, 2013 Abril Menicucci marked it as to-read
Its an amazing book, it help me to much in my life!!
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Barbara Repan
Barbara Repan marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Aimee Moore
Aimee Moore marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Cari
Cari is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2014

Sheila Walsh (05-07-1956) is a powerful communicator, Bible teacher, and best-selling author with more than 4 million books sold. A featured speaker with Women of Faith®, Sheila has reached more than 3.5 million women by artistically combining honesty, vulnerability, and humor with God's Word.

Author of the best-...more
More about Sheila Walsh...
Angel Song Beautiful Things Happen When A Woman Trusts God The Shelter of God's Promises Get Off Your Knees & Pray: A Woman's Guide to Life-Changing Prayer Sweet Sanctuary