Start by marking “All Shots (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #18)” as Want to Read:
All Shots (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #18)

All Shots (A Dog Lover's Mystery #18)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Holly Winter the malamute trainer knows she's not the only Holly Winter living in Cambridge, Massachusetts, but it would be so much nicer if Holly number two weren't a dog-hating academic... and if a third woman calling herself Holly Winter didn't happen to be dead. Holly number one can attest to this unfortunate fact, having discovered the gunned-down body while searching ...more
Published November 6th 2007 by Berkley Hardcover (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about All Shots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Shots

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinMarley and Me by John GroganA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Great "Dog" Books
157th out of 688 books — 1,432 voters
Murder Strikes a Pose by Tracy WeberA Killer Retreat by Tracy WeberDog on It by Spencer QuinnThis Dog for Hire by Carol Lea BenjaminA Shot in the Bark by C.A. Newsome
Dog Related Mysteries
28th out of 114 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Barbra
Great story if you are a dog lover this one is for you. Chapter 6 was so funny, but oh so true. Holly is searching for a lost dog, and is talking to a teacher who is in a hurry. Her urgency is; "Our preschool is a media-free zone, and one of the toddlers keeps showing up in a Thomas the Tank Engine T-shirt." I couldn't help but LOL I could just see this little toddler insisting that he wear his favorite shirt to his Mom, and not understanding why it was not allowed.
Denise
A devoted malamute trainer, lover, resucer, Holly Winter finds herself looking in on a murder which leads her down a path of crazy mixed up identity theft (or not) and love of people and dog.
This was a find at the library I took a chance on. I have been debating a new dog in our family and thought a fun little dog mystery might help. This book offers a lot of informaiton on malamutes, at times it was a bit much it seemd to me but only because I am not deeply in love with the animal. I believe i
Dlora
The plot in this story was not as tightly woven as in some of Conant's other books but it was still an interesting story of mistaken identity and mixed-up assumptions. Conant tried switching point of view from the dog-loving Holly Winter to the dog-hating Holly Winter; it didn't work as well as it might have but it did add an interesting twist. Conant develops some really interesting characters (like the simple-minded Mellie who walks dogs, or her difficult, larger-than-life father Buck) and her ...more
Cynthia
I haven't the vaguest idea where this one came from... it must have been a pass-me-down because I am not a dog person and would not have given a "Dog Lover's Mystery" the time of day. And I didn't choose to read this on purpose. I needed something to take with me to a doctor's appointment and I just swiped my hand through a shelf. I didn't even look to see what I had until I pulled it from my tote. And my heart sank. Dogs. Why'd it have to be dogs? But I was stuck in the doctor's waiting room, s ...more
Kristin
This was the 3rd book of Conat's I've come across recently, and I've decided her books are sort of like 'filler' in that they make for an OK read, but there isn't a ton of substance to them. Short book, open and shut plot, no loose ends nor anything to make you want to be sure to catch the next in the series.
All Shots was written from the first-person perspective of magazine columnist Holly Winter, who discovers a woman's body while searching for a lost dog. What complicates the story is that no
Ed
#18 in the Dog Lover's series. The series features Holly Winter, a Cambridge, MA, writer for Dog's Life magazine.

Dog Lover's series - Holly Winter, an Alaskan Malamute trainer and writer in Cambridge, MA, is searching for a missing dog when she discovers the body of a young woman. The woman is also named Holly Winter and is in the house of a traveling doctor who is known by a third Holly Winter. Coincidences, illegal drugs and dog lore. Not bad.
Grey853
Chris
I love dogs and mysteries but not this one. I found this book because it was trapped between two shelves at my library. I have a husky coming to live with me too which is the main plot point initially-a runaway husky results in a dead body. So I thought it was serendipity that we found each other. But it was not meant to be. First I'd read from this author and it will be the last. I could only make it to page 101 before irritation with the plot and the pretentious airs put on by the principal pr ...more
Bev
Apr 23, 2014 Bev rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yes
I love her books and this one is as good or better than the others. She uses words of multiple syllables and assumes you know a few things. While her dogs are a big part of each book they don't feel intrusive. You wouldn't have a story without them.
Sparrow Knight
Entertaining light read, good cozy mystery, enough clues given in the course of the story to try to puzzle it out, rather than crucial facts being revealed right before the end of the book.
Patricia
I love the dog information that is laced throughout the book. I find myself writing down some of the suggestions. This is a murder mystery with a healthy dose of dogs, Boston and several people with the same name.
Kristen
In Susan Conant's All Shots, the 18th installment of the Dog Lover's Mystery series, Holly Winter was in for wild ride. While her husband was away on vacation, it all started with a missing dog and a dead body. It was up to Holly Winter to discover that they were two other Holly Winters were in Cambridge, and one of them had her identity and stolen her mail. That's when the other Holly decided to do some investigating of her own, when it came to identity theft and dog-napping of a sort. The clos ...more
Christie
Silly mystery if you are a dog lover
Jen
I was pleased when a friend informed me of Conant's dog/detective series. Growing up with a grandmother who devoured every "The Cat Who..." story, which never interested me, I have long wanted dog-themed books of same.

The author does not disappoint. The books are witty, informational, and quick-reads, without being too predictable.

This one is my favorite so far. I was hooked from beginning to end- read it in less than 24 hours, thoroughly enjoyed it. Best yet!
Melissa
I still do like Susan Conant but I don't love this new style she has taken where she write a chapter here and there from the perspective of another character. That doesn't interest me. Like her cat series - could do without the chapter's from the cat's perspective.

That said, I do love reading about the dogs and the different breeds and the intricacies of the dog world. I think she is a great writer when she is talking about dogs and still to enjoy her books.
Kura Kitty
An interesting mystery. I liked the background info on malamutes, although at times I felt it was a little distracting from the story. It reminded me of the Mrs. Murphy mysteries, but without the talking animals. It has the same passion for animals. I don't really having anything bad to say about the story, but it didn't wow me either. It was a light read.
Janet
Don’t waste your time, folks. This is without a doubt the most idiotic drivel I have had the misfortune to read in a long, long time. Computer manuals make more sense than this stuff. Conant had to have been under the influence. No writer in her right mind would have three identically named characters running around. Awful.
Louann
My new fave author! I really like the twisty way she builds a story and the side comments are great! Headed out now to get more of her books!
Jen
On the cover it says that it is the dog lovers answer to "The Cat Who . . . " books. Well, you really have to love dogs to get into this book. The lady in it is very much dog crazy. But the story is interesting but it talks too much about dogs for me to recommend it, or read more in the series.
One of the latest books in Conant's dog lover's series has too little dog in it for me. I like her books best when they open a window into the world of dog shows, both conformation and obedience trials. This book tries to focus more on a murder and identity theft.
Leslie
The first 60% of this book was quite intriguing, and I was curious how all the plot threads and the "extra" Holly Winter would come together into a coherent ending.However, even though the ending made sense, it didn't have quite the gasp and awe I was hoping for.
Mary Kay
One of my favorites in this series. The plot was quite good, involving a murder victim with the same name as the main character, Holly Winter. The addition of yet another Cantabrigian with the same name results in a nice stew of events and confusion. Well done!
Nancy
I love Susan Conant. Honestly. Pup lit is my hidden pleasure. And Susan is the best of the best, I just can't bring myself to rate pup lit any higher than "liked it"....just like I can't rank Meg Ryan movies higher than "it was fun".
Alee
The story is interesting when you have some background in the show world but I suspect it would be even better if you had the breeds. Lots of twists and turns...not too deep.
Anneliese
why am i so obsessed with dog books? this wasn't a bad little novel, but kind of silly and oh so doggy. very light easy read. no nightmares, and no intensive thinking afterward.
Barbara
One of a series of mysteries involving Holly Winter and her beloved Malamutes. This one stretched credulity with multiple Holly Winters...Hmmm
Ginny Tata-Phillips
A friend of mine said 'Is this the book where she finds the dead body with the help of her dog?' - duh - they are all the same!
Tara Choate
I liked the realistic mystery element and... of course... dog stuff.

Reread.
Diane Large
I love animals but found this story very slow and boring.
Rexanna
A little slow, but I love it when dogs save the day.
nice 2 3 Jan 05, 2015 06:11PM
  • Rottweiler Rescue (Diane Brennan Mystery #1)
  • Jingle Bell Bark (Melanie Travis, #11)
  • The More the Terrier (Pet Rescue Mystery #2)
  • Smoky Mountain Tracks (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #1)
  • This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1)
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
  • Drool Baby (Dog Park Mystery, #2)
  • Christmas Is Good!: Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom
  • Death in Show (Dog Walker Mysteries, #3)
(1)mysteries

Mother of author Jessica Park aka Jessica Conant-Park

The photo is of Jessica Conant-Park and Susan Conant, daughter and mother.
More about Susan Conant...

A Dog Lover's Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • A New Leash on Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • A Bite of Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Bloodlines (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #5)
  • Gone to the Dogs (A Dog Lover's Mystery #6)
  • Ruffly Speaking (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #7)
  • Black Ribbon (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #8)
  • Stud Rites
  • Animal Appetite (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #10)
A New Leash on Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #1) Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2) A Bite of Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #3) Gone to the Dogs (A Dog Lover's Mystery #6) Bloodlines (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #5)