Start by marking “Schiavi degli invisibili” as Want to Read:
Schiavi degli invisibili

Schiavi degli invisibili

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Primo romanzo di Eric Frank Russell. Il codice ISBN è stato assegnato a posteriori nel 1993 e si riferisce alla prima ed. dell'Editrice Nord del 1978 e alle successive ristampe. La copertina è quella della ristampa del 1996.
Hardcover, First
Published 1978 by Nord (first published January 1st 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Schiavi degli invisibili, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Schiavi degli invisibili

V.W. Singer
[Spoiler Alert - no details, but the general plot features are discussed]

Before there was the "Matrix" or "Aliens" or even "X-Files" and "Fringe", there was Sinister Barrier the 1939 debut novel by Britis SF author Eric Frank Russell, a member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Hall of Fame.

The author starts with the questions, "If everyone wants peace, then why don't we get it?" and "If there are aliens, why haven't they appeared yet?"

The answer is even more terrifying than Morpheus's answer to
I'm hovering between 2 and 3 stars on this. It would make a great (and doubtless "bad") disaster movie. The premise is that beings called Vitons are living off our negative emotions, and controlling our history to get the best possible harvest. But we are unaware of them until a scientist (in a technologically advanced future) invents a way for humans to "see" wavelengths that are ordinarily invisible. The scientist shares his knowledge with others before the Vitons destroy him. The Vitons can r ...more
Otis Campbell
Sinister Barrier is Eric Frank Russell's first novel. It was quite a debut. The original version was chosen by editor John W. Campbell to lead off the March 1939 first issue of his legendary fantasy magazine Unknown, companion to Astounding Science Fiction. The novel is solid science fiction, with subtleties and even profundities that may not be obvious in the thrilling pace of the plot.
Vladimir Ivanov
Книги как люди, одни стареют красиво и с чувством собственного достоинства, а другие с годами превращаются в отвратительных скособоченных уродцев. "Зловещий барьер", увы, из второй категории.

В 1939 году этим романом наверняка зачитывались - это же был крутейший фантастический боевик! Тут и операции спецслужб, и загадки науки, и мировые войны, и инопланетные захватчики, и юмор, и романтическая линия. Сама идея, что человечеством, как стадом бараном, с древних времён управляют невидимые энергетич
Colin Sinclair
Enormous fun. Great concept, well executed and rattles along at a brisk pace.

Scientists are dying - suicide, sudden heart attacks, horrible accidents - and a government investigator looks into the deaths and discovers an awful truth that threatens the world. Written in the late 1930s, so some of the phrasing is kind of wierd and things can get a bit clunky and overblown at times. And then there's the appalling attitude to women on display :-/

Despite the faults, I enjoyed it a lot.
"Schiavi degli invisibili" è un libro che mescola in maniera alquanto intelligente, la paura del conflitto mondiale e dei vari totalitarismi dell'epoca (era il 1939), il freudismo (i vitoni che ci controllano non visti non è altro che la paura dell'inconscia) ed una sana dose di azione e violenza (cosa che mi alquanto stupito per un libro di sci-fi di questo periodo). Magari il finale è un po' troppo "indelicato" e tipicamente americano, ma visto il resto lo si può perdonare. Un gran bel libro.

Ognuno di noi ha fantasticato almeno una volta nella vita sull'eventualità che degli alieni possano girovagare sulla Terra all'insaputa di tutti o di pochi disgraziati. Nell'immaginario collettivo ha preso piede l'ormai secolare concetto di Ufo, o per meglio dire disco volante, di cui nel web sono presenti migliaia di foto (tutte sfocate) che mostrano navicelle aliene a forma di lampione, lanterna cinese o cappello a bombetta. Chiunque avrà avuto l'occasio
Eric Martell
Great vintage read. Takes me back to my high school days when paperbacks were cheap. Of course, you have to suspend disbelief and agree to buy into the "futuristic" world postulated by the author, but I think it's still fun.

First half better than the second--genuinely creepy and subversive. But then it devolves into the standard Heinlein thing about kicking alien butt. Also, the witty (and flirty) banter bit is often ridiculous (and irrelevant). You might think too that the Vitons would sort of relish being brought into the open, since it fosters all of that delicious human hatred to munch. But a basically cool use of Fort...despite how often EFR's lines manage to gobble the scenery; stuff like: "Three bodies lay n ...more
This was quite a thriller. Written far more like a fast paced detective novel than a science fiction story (think James Bond with aliens).
1980 grade B+

damaged copy, buy replacement?
What can I say? I didn't like this book at all. I laboured through it hoping it would get better, but I was disappointed to the end.
I suppose I was looking for a funny story like Wasp or Next of Kin, I guess I'll stick with these two of this author.
David Szondy
Sinister Barrier starts out as it intends (or doesn't intend, but does so anyway) to continue by on the first page claiming to be fiction, but true. Then there's a long disquisition on Fort that ends with a ludicrous "true story" opening that is left hanging in the air.

Non mi piacciono molto i racconti di fantascienza "low technology" come questo: nemici con poteri enormi ma che inspiegabilmente non eliminano l'eroe, una trama lineare, personaggi statici e sempre vittoriosi...
I had high hopes for this -- but it just did not hold up, it almost seems non sensical
some creatures who live on weird vibration frequency? how is that science?
it's not really awful, but just so perfunctory.
The concept is very good, but the writing is AWFUL!
Rod Pyle
50 years old and still creepy as hell!
Samuel76 marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Tony Santo
Tony Santo marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Bruna added it
Oct 05, 2015
Rob Shaw
Rob Shaw marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Dougr marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
De Jan
De Jan added it
Sep 11, 2015
Rayma Cisco
Rayma Cisco marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Michael Adams
Michael Adams is currently reading it
Sep 29, 2015
Dayna marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
  • Citizen In Space
  • Thorns
  • Iceworld
  • Uller Uprising
  • The Gods of Mars / The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #2-3)
  • Ring Around the Sun
  • The Humanoids
  • Donovan's Brain
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • Wolfbane
  • The Forgotten Planet
Eric Frank Russell was a British author best known for his science fiction novels and short stories. Much of his work was first published in the United States, in John W. Campbell's Astounding Science Fiction and other pulp magazines. Russell also wrote horror fiction for Weird Tales, and non-fiction articles on Fortean topics. A few of his stories were published under pseudonyms, of which Duncan ...more
More about Eric Frank Russell...
Wasp Next of Kin The Great Explosion Men, Martians and Machines . . . And Then There Were None