Start by marking “A Young Girl's Diary: Prefaced with a Letter by Sigmund Freud” as Want to Read:
A Young Girl's Diary: Prefaced with a Letter by Sigmund Freud

A Young Girl's Diary: Prefaced with a Letter by Sigmund Freud

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  24 reviews
This authentic diary, kept by a Viennese schoolgirl when she was eleven to fourteen years old, first appeared publicly in 1919. Richly expressive and emotionally moving, it intimately chronicles her passage from childhood to puberty with frankness, lucidity, and an honesty that scandalized the anonymous author's contemporaries.
Originally presented by Sigmund Freud as a spe
Published March 31st 2006 by Dover Publications (first published 1915)

To ask other readers questions about A Young Girl's Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Young Girl's Diary

Christine Murdock
Interesting...I thought it would be nice to compare it to Anne Frank's diary. Re-kindled my desire to write and keep track of the going on's in my life. Perhaps in 100 years someone would read my day to day life? They might even say.."interesting?"
Renee Robinson
A Young Girl's Diary (Kindle Edition), Sigmond Freud
I feel it is important to keep history alive. There is an expression "history repeats itself". This is one perfect example why this era must never be forgotten and (pray to God) never repeated. I have read many books from this period.
The Diary of Anne Frank which is an exceptional diary kept by a young girl who tried to make the best of a horrible lifetime. Clearly, she did not truly understand what was happening,but she knew it was dangerous.
Kitty with Curls
May 23, 2009 Kitty with Curls rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who liked Anaïs Nin's early diaries
I found this book really fascinating, although I have trouble believing that it was unedited before publication. An interesting historical document.
dara
so interesting reading a young girl diary, her dream, her life, her obsession. witty
Cheryl
Life between the ages of eleven and fourteen has been the focus of clinical research, diagnostic exploration, and chemical intervention. Labeling the extremes of behaviors, testing for intellectual scores, medicating for interferences in 'normality' have set adolescence on the path of pathology.

Reading A YOUNG GIRL'S DIARY reminds the reader of the freedom of the age, absent required standards that must be checked off with each birthday. The suppositions made from an inquiry about sex, relations
Josh Meares
This is the diary of Rita, a young, 19th century, aristocratic German girl. It was published by Sigmund Freud and it is quite possibly a forgery (because of the anonymity of the author and the consonance with many of Freud's theories). Rita writes in her diary almost daily from the age of eleven until she is fourteen and a half. Her diary is mostly concerned with the inanities of youth.

The main interest of Rita and all of her friends in this book from halfway through her eleventh year on is sex
Mark Dewey
I didn't read this from the psychological perspective that people who study Freud might have. Consequently, I probably had a much better experience.

If you read the book from start to finish, believing it's true (and I don't see any real reason to believe it's not—seeming consonance with Freud's theories is hardly enough to discredit it or even arouse noteworthy suspicion, unless Freud is already known for being dishonorable; however, I'm not a follower of Freud's theories). The diary isn't all a
Tom
The title says it all. This is the diary of a young girl. It covers her life from age 11 to 14-1/2.

Grete (Rita, to her friends) is the youngest in a fairly well-off family in Vienna. Her father is a judge, or something similar. Rita's best friend is Hella, and the two decide to keep diaries.

The time is the early part of the 20th Century, prior to World War 1, and Rita and Hella show a naïvete that makes the von Trapp girls look like the Kardashians.

I've read a decent amount of contemporary YA f
Shaz S
Recently, I have developed an interest in reading autobiographies and diaries and this particular one caught my attention because it was hailed as “a little gem” by none other than Sigmund Freud. Turns out the diary is not genuine after all, if the internet is to be believed. As far as fake diaries go, this one is one of the better ones on the shelves. It did seem pretty authentic to me as I read and having been a young girl myself a long time, I found some of the entries quite relatable. Yes, t ...more
Tricia
While this is vaguely interesting, it is for all the wrong reasons. I suspect (and Wikipedia backs me up) that this is not an authentic diary. It just feels off somehow, something I cannot put my finger on. It's too set out with perfect data points of parental relationships, sexual awakenings, sibling rivalry, friendship issues, etc. However, it gives an insight into the social mores of the turn of the last century in a middle class society and presents a glimpse into a culture starting to crack ...more
Christina Tang-Bernas
I read this mostly out of curiosity. I'm not really fond of reading girl diaries (except for Zlata's Diary which I read at least 30 times growing up) but its connection to Freud seemed interesting. It was pretty much as I expected which was a bit tedious and boring and I felt the girl was a bit TOO obssessed with her female teacher. Perhaps it's because I've grown up or this was written (still not sure whether this was a fictional or truly autobiographical account)in an earlier more innocent tim ...more
Miranda Frey-myers
Rather dull

Rather dull

It was interesting to get a glimpse of day to day life back then but was a bit boring. the abbreviations for names were confusing and the ending very abrupt.
Michel Van Goethem
This is really a gem, although it's a 'faux'. (http://www.answers.com/topic/hug-hell...).

Reading it I had already the impression. "She is just as stupid and conceited as she was before she fell in love. So Hella is right when she says: Love enobles [veredelt]. Erno made a rotten joke about that when he heard Hella say it once. He said: "You've made a slip of the tongue, you meant to say: Love makes fools of people [vereselt]." Of course that's because he's not in love with anyone."

Is this from a
Ria D. Indraswari
I don't know bout you guys, tapi setelah sepertiga awal buku rasanya masih datar aja nih buku.

Jadi kurang semangat untuk nerusin baca secara serius. Alhasil cuman baca buru2, membalik2 halaman seenaknya. Kurang greget. Gak dapat sparks nya. Terlalu flat.

A diary bout 11yo girl sampe umurnya mencapai 14 tahun. Efek habis baca buku ini sih, jadi lebih menyemangati nulis diary.. :) my time capsule! Yay.. #apadeh

Honestly, aku gak melihat buku ini dari sisi psikologis perkembangan seorang anak. Apa ka
Josephine Phua
Trusting in the authenticity of the diary, it was an enjoyable read. Given the suddenness of the diary's end, and the editor's notes, I had to do some research on our dear "Rita". Well it turns out this diary is a fraud written/edited by Hermine Hug-Hellmuth, an Austrian psychoanalyst.

(http://www.zfl-berlin.org/veranstaltu...)

Then again, perhaps its not so bad the story wasn't true after all!
Karla
This book, or journal rather, was so interesting. I am going to have to do more research about the girl, but it is simply what the title implies...a young girl's diary. It is fascinating to see how she views the world and how things strike her. I hated that it simply cut off at the end...apparently there is no further known material. I would really like to know what happened to this 'young girl'
Eris
i enjoyed it, specially because it depicts, at least through a young austrian girl's perspective, how the 'world' used to be in the beginning of the xx century. thoroughly fascinating... i wish i could find out what happened to the lainer girls or whatever was their real name.
Kelli
I finished the book, because I just can't leave a book unfinished, but I just didn't enjoy it very much. In reading the other reviews, it seems as though the diary is a fake, which I honestly suspected while reading it. It just didn't seem that realistic to me.
Rachelle
I found it interesting, I think she she became infatuated with her teacher due to the recent event with her mother. I wasn't a fan of the ending and wish there would have been more information. I did enjoy the book for the most part.
Alvi Harahap
This diary is taking us to feel, understand, and see young girl, named Rita, feeling and point of view.

This diary is useful for parents being able to understand more about their children, specially daughters.
LittleAsian Sweatshop
I'm going to say it...Freud was one creepy dude to have unearthed this diary and get so excited about it.......
Hashim
urgh. ew. *pukes*
why oh why did i read it through?
Geomaria
Crisp and perfection ensured till the end.
Kz
Kz marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
John B Bailey
John B Bailey marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
MaryBeth
MaryBeth is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2015
  • The Burning Secret and other stories
  • The White People
  • Uncommon Decency: Christian Civility in an Uncivil World
  • In Praise of Reading and Fiction: The Nobel Lecture
  • Small Miracles of the Holocaust: Extraordinary Coincidences of Faith, Hope, and Survival
  • Sexuality and the Psychology of Love
  • A Simple Story
  • Memoir: A History
  • The Oxford Companion to the Mind
  • Mania: The Story of the Outraged and Outrageous Lives That Launched a Cultural Revolution
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians
  • Rage for Fame: The Ascent of Clare Boothe Luce
  • Western Society and the Church in the Middle Ages (The Penguin History of the Church, #2)
  • Wet Magic
  • The Best of Saki
  • Chloe Plus Olivia: An Anthology of Lesbian Literature from the 17th Century to the Present
  • Psychopathia Sexualis: A Medico-Legal Study
  • Stalky & Co.

“I should like to know what sacrifices they make. I think it's the children who make the sacrifices. When I want to eat gooseberries and am not allowed to, the sacrifice is _mine_ not _Mother's_.” 1 likes