Start by marking “The Eighth Veil” as Want to Read:
The Eighth Veil

The Eighth Veil (Jerusalem Mystery #1)

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  12 reviews
is a mystery set in first-century Jerusalem during the Feast of Tabernacles when a murdered servant girl is found in the palace of King Herod, and a simple Talmudic scholar becomes immersed in the investigation.
Audio CD
Published February 1st 2012 by Blackstone Audiobooks

To ask other readers questions about The Eighth Veil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eighth Veil

Maggie Anton
One of the perks of membership in the Historical Novel Society is their magazine that consists mainly of book reviews arranged by century. There’s usually not much for Late Antiquity [1st-5th century], but I eagerly check anyway. Imagine my astonishment when I saw the review of “Holy Smoke” by Frederick Ramsay, the second of his “Jerusalem Mysteries,” which takes place in 1st century Roman Palestina and stars as master detective – Rabban Gamliel, head of the Sanhedrin.

Ancient Talmudic scholar so
Dana Stabenow
It's Jerusalem, 26 AD. A serving girl in Herod Antiphas' palace has been raped and murdered. The local Roman prefect, one Pontius Pilate, summons Gamaliel the Elder to squelch this scandal before it makes Rome's hand-picked satrap look bad. Or, let us say, any worse than Herod and his promiscuous, fratricidal family have made themselves look already.

Gamaliel, chief rabbi of the Sanhedrin, does his level best to refuse the call to adventure, but Pilate is insistent. He bestows his ring on Gamalie
Dina Tanners
I read this book over the weekend on the recommendation of Maggie Anton, the author of the Rashi's Daughters' series and also Ravi Hisda's Daughter, the latter set in the 2nd--3rd centuries CE. She commended that The Jerusalem Mystery series by Ramsay, beginning with The Eighty Veil, accurately portrays Jerusalem when it was set, 28CE, and also does a good job of telling of the Jewish leadership/community, etc.

The mystery was complex, with the Chief Rabbi, Gamaliel, asked by Pontius Pilate, to s
Victor Gentile
Frederick Ramsay in his new book, “The Eighth Veil” Book One in the Jerusalem Mystery series published by Poisoned Pen Press introduces us to Gamaliel.

From the back cover: The Eighth Veil is a mystery set in the year 28 CE in Jerusalem during the feast of Tabernacles. A murdered servant girl is found in the palace of King Herod Antipas. The Prefect, Pontius Pilate is in attendance. The populace is still buzzing over the brutal death of one of their Prophets, John, known familiarly as the Baptize
Kgwhitehurst
More accurately, I quit. Gamaliel is a reasonable, intelligent, likable character surrounded by fools, charlatans, bad Jews and Romans. It's was a good idea--have the Rabban of the Sanhedrin, Gamaliel, investigate a murder in the palace of Herod and Herodias (her daughter's Salome). He's got the stuff to do it. It starts off with a bang, but the narrative stumbles then collapses under poor writing and poor conception. Unbelievable situations such as interviewing Herod, his wife, and Salome aren' ...more
Frances
Apr 11, 2014 Frances rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Frances by: Debbi Smith
Admittedly, this is not my kind of book - historical fiction and cozy too. Nonetheless, I did enjoy it, despite having a little trouble keeping all the names straight.
It is 26 CE, in the time of the Roman occupation of Jerusalem. Playing out in the background are Julius Caesar, Herod, John the Baptist and a mysterious carpenter preaching to the masses.
A servant girl is murdered in the palace of King Herod and an esteemed, moderate Rabbi is asked to look into the death. He (and we) learn all abou
Lynn
This is my first Ramsay book although my husband is a big fan. He thought I would love this and he was right. The historical setting and the plot were really fascinating. I especially enjoyed the characters though. The Rabban, Gamaliel, is wonderfully drawn and I enjoyed both his inner dialog as he worked through this case as a reluctant sleuth and his conversations with his friend the physician. I hope there will be more! I can selcom take time for adult books but this was a completely enjoyabl ...more
Joanna Warrens
This was a very compelling book set in Ancient Jerusalem. It was a bit challenging to understand the events of that time. I really had to concentrate. Still I enjoyed it and would recommend it.
Elizabeth
A mystery set in Jerusalem when Christ was an upstart preaching to the downtrodden. The story has very little to do with Christ but it does talk about the different religions of the time as well as the balance of political power with Rome and King Herod. A young woman, thought to be a servant, is killed in the palace and the rabbinic leader is put into the position of having to investigate her death.
Dianne Landry
A murder in Herod's palace, the Chief Rabbi ordered to investigate by Pontius Pilate and an annoying holy man from Galilee stirring up trouble. What's not to love? Actually, everything. By the time I reached page 100 I felt that nothing ahd happened. No real progress had been made and I had no interest in finding out who done it. I brought it back to the library and wouldn't recommend it for anyone.
April
Not a bad excursion into Jerusalem around Jesus' time. Jesus, Caiaphas, and Pontius Pilate are all minor characters in this mystery. Gamaliel, the chief rabbi, is tasked to investigate the murder of a servant girl in the palace. Lots of good political intrigue and history. The characters are OK, but the setting is this book's real strength.
Christy
I enjoyed this much more than Judas. Interesting point in history and geography to set a traditional mystery. I look forward to more from Rabban Gamaliel.
John
John added it
Feb 08, 2015
Lisa C
Lisa C marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Jerry Landry
Jerry Landry marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Stacey Marien
Stacey Marien marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
John Hanscom
John Hanscom marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Kay Skipper
Kay Skipper marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Nancy Yob
Nancy Yob marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Ariel Oryah
Ariel Oryah marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Jane Gardner
Jane Gardner marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Dr. Frederick Ramsay was born in Baltimore, the son of a respected teacher researcher and scientist. He graduated from Washington and Lee University in Virginia and received his doctorate from the University of Illinois. After a stint in the Army, he joined the faculty of the University of Maryland, School of Medicine, where he taught Anatomy, Embryology and Histology; engaged in research and serv ...more
More about Frederick Ramsay...

Jerusalem Mystery (2 books)
  • Holy Smoke: A Jerusalem Mystery
Artscape: An Ike Schwartz Mystery Stranger Room: An Ike Schwartz Mystery Choker: An Ike Schwartz Mystery Impulse Scone Island