Start by marking “Kallista lystiä” as Want to Read:
Kallista lystiä

Kallista lystiä

3.16  ·  Rating Details ·  1,294 Ratings  ·  134 Reviews
"High Maintenance is set in the manic world of Manhattan real estate, it tells the story of Liv Kellerman, freshly independent, having just left her husband and - more sadly - their fabulous duplex apartment with its Empire State Building views. On her own for the first time in her life, Liv relocates to a crumbling Greenwich Village hovel and contemplates her next move." ...more
363 pages
Published 2002 by Otava (first published May 7th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Kallista lystiä, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kallista lystiä

Cici
May 15, 2009 Cici rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: did not finish this book
Shelves: never-finished
I'm giving up on this one. I'm on page 99 and I think it's terrible. I rarely quit on books, but I can't read anymore of this:
Liv, the main character is so flakey and immature... first she starts working for this blind guy and lies to him about things even unbuttons her shirt in front of him because he can't see anyways. I'm pretty sure by the end of the book his "secret" is he's really not blind...
Then she starts seeing this idiot that's in a relationship and he's really disrepectful.I know tha
Nicky
Remember the way you drew houses as a kid? A square with a triangle on top, a door, and two windows? This book is a lot like that. The framework for a decent story is there, but Belle only gives you the bare minimum when it comes to characterization and story. At best, it's mildly amusing. At worst, it's a complete waste of time.
Kris
Mar 19, 2012 Kris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure why this book received so many good reviews. To each his own, I suppose. I keep on reading.... waiting and hoping. But it just never gets better. The characters are all so bizarre and creepy. I can not connect with any of them. These are people I would never want to deal with. I am not even sure at this point (halfway through the book) and I am even going to finish reading it.
Amy
Like the old commercial for Alka Seltzer, "I can't believe I read the whole thing." Chick Lit but not even a feel good kind of read. I kept reading because I was promised it was clever, funny and well done. I didn't find it any of those things.
Kali
Jul 16, 2009 Kali rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the worst books I've ever read. I should have known better , but it was $1.39 at goodwill and I needed an easy read, what I got was one of the most painful 'literary' (I barely want to use that word) experiences ever! Total crap.
Sheryl
Aug 01, 2011 Sheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-by-me
Have you read Belle's, Little Stalker, yet? If so, High Maintenance has the same feel about it. I forgot how much I loved Jennifer Belle's light, quirky...and ever so chic lit writing style that I must say I wasn't all that enamored with the story and/or any of the characters right off the bat. I had to stop and think back to the author's quirkiness from Little Stalker....and then I really started to enjoy it. Where does Belle come up with this stuff??? It was just one crazy, yet hilarious catas ...more
Sheryl
Apr 06, 2016 Sheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This book took me forever to get through. I could only take small doses of Andrew. What a total a$$shole. If I met a man and 30 seconds later he picked me up and dangled me over the balcony threatening to drop me, the LAST thing I would do is sleep with him. But of course there'd be no story if Liv didn't sleep with him. All along I'm thinking get a clue sweetheart--he's a doush in general, but he's telling you he's with someone else. Translation--he's stepping out on the other woman, most likel ...more
Nascha
I picked up this book on a whim. Purchased it from a used book table on the streets of Manhattan. In the end, I am happy I did so. It was a fun book to read. Great combination of life in the city, a look into real estate and chick lit. A light read, great for the summer, but still memorable. In fact, I still think about this book and it's been a few years since I read it. Maybe it's because I love real estate and the main character, Liv is a real estate agent.

There were some really funny moments
Tiara
Feb 16, 2012 Tiara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely didn't like this as much by the end as I did in the beginning, but I stayed up all night to finish it. A pampered woman learns to take care of herself after her divorce from her cheating husband. This got creepy toward the middle. I mean, swallowing Clue pieces for no good reason? Freezing sperm in her freezer, in the ice tray? Carrying around a glock she found? It was so pathetic I had to keep reading. Good God, if that's the kind of insanity divorce promises, I think I'll stay with ...more
Sherri Hunter
Mar 14, 2010 Sherri Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure what to make of this story when I first started it. I have to hand it to our heroine, Liv. I would have thrown in the towel and gone crawling back to Jack after taking one look at that rat-hole apartment she ends up in. $1,200 a month! Yikes! LOL

Liv surprises us all by coming out on top in all areas. I think some payback for the ear was in order though. I've never read anything else by this author but I will definitely look out for anything else by her.
Ashley
May 27, 2010 Ashley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Angel Perkins
Jul 04, 2013 Angel Perkins rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dismal. It was a chore to actually finish the book. I suppose it did, eventually, get vaguely interesting but only in a "Does this EVER get BETTER?" sort of way. The characters are stagnant and shallow. There is no actual direction to the story itself. You wander aimlessly through the pages, much like Liv wanders aimlessly through life; waiting for something to happen.
Alison
Jan 27, 2013 Alison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful awful awful awful awulf awful awful awful awful awful awful. Main character was ridiculously shallow and selfish and dishonest and most of the other characters were just weird, but not in any way that made them interesting. The plot felt like it jumped around with no real purpose. Awful awful awful awful awful. I didn't even finish it. I couldn't.
Danielius Goriunovas
Pradžia - lame.
Kažkiek po pradžios - super meilės romanas. Įtraukiantis, įdomus, etc.
Ties viduriu - OMD kaip nuobodu...
Toliau - nebaigiau skaityti.

Išvada - skaityti nepatariu. Niekam. Rimtai. Fe.
Kelly Such
Sep 17, 2015 Kelly Such rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-shelf-2
I didn't really love this book. I thought it was going to be light and fluffy and there was way more too it then that. I didn't particularly like the love story of Liv and Andrew. I thought it was mean. I feel that there story took away the story of her and the apartment.
Lauren
Jul 30, 2014 Lauren rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't waste your time on these shallow moronic characters. Only interesting bit was that it was based in NYC.
Rose
Oct 26, 2016 Rose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely Fiction.

The book is entertaining, if you buy into the unlikely situations presented. Hard to imagine the New York real estate market is as described, but I enjoyed the story and the main character, even though her lack of sound judgment makes you shake your head in disbelief. Recommending the book, if you're looking for light "chick lit," otherwise, skip this one.
Sarah Turner
moderately entertaining. Majorly bitchy!
Sarah Jean
Light and funny!
A friend suggested this, and judging by the cover and description... I assumed that it would be poorly written smut. I was only half right on the poorly written smut part because although there are some seriously "adult content" things written in here, the book was fabulously written. It's not the type of book that you carry around with you to impress your friends with how intellectual you are, but the guilty pleasure reading you do just for yourself. In that role, this book is fantastic.

The aut
Cendri
Apr 12, 2007 Cendri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: looking for a light read
I found this book surprisingly entertaining. Not great literature by any stretch of the imagination, but funny and witty enough, and easy enough to plow through to make the book worth reading if you have nothing else to do on a Saturday.

The heroine, Liv Kellerman, is interesting and quirky - and the author really manages to capture a certain type of quintessential 'femaleness' (for lack of a better word) in her character. I loved that she clearly views herself as quite attractive, and yet one s
Kameka
Mar 09, 2008 Kameka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great vacation read. While not one of the great novels of our time, it certainly does provide some 'laugh out loud' moments (which I had and people looked at me to see why I was laughing)! This book is a quick read and certainly a must read for anyone looking for an entertaining NYC story. If you've ever lived in Manhattan and know how difficult it is to find the 'right' apartment, this book will speak to you. There isn't a ton of substance in this book, but it is a fun read and is in ...more
Nicki
Nov 18, 2014 Nicki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't say I loved it exactly, but it did have a certain something that kept me reading.
The style is quite unusual. Definitely not a realistic read by any stretch. Situations and characters were quite ridiculous.
I think Dale was the character that fascinated me and kept me reading longer than i otherwise would have.
She disappears mid book as the main character moves on, but by then I had invested so much time in the book I decided to read on and see what would happen.
Kind of torn on it. No
Emma Galen
It's strange that I liked this book so much because it's not what I'd call "substantial," but Belle's writing is readable and compelling and I was hooked from the first page. I found the narrator's bold realism and dark humor very relatable, and even though she was not always sympathetic, she felt like a very real person. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes the romantic comedy genre but isn't so into the whole "romance" part, and anyone who is trying to figure out the next step in th ...more
Kelly Stubbart
this is not the quintessential American novel. however, this book is a smart, sardonic take on the humans of New York. the heroine is a beautiful, somewhat narcissistic young woman finding her way alone in the city after a catastrophic divorce. the other characters are well-written and interesting. alas, not an example of classic literature, this novel was a great distraction through a day and night riddled with insomnia and depression. i wonder why the book had so many references to swamis? : )
rachel
Jul 20, 2014 rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2009
Nicole
Jul 06, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liv is a total nutjob but entertaining. I couldn't stand some of her decisions but I overall enjoyed the book. *SPOILER* However, I think I would have enjoyed it more if there had been some different outcomes and if the reader had found out what happens to Andrew and if Jordan found ( out her husband is a total jerk/nutjob.
Saylaveev
Well, I enjoyed her other book. But this one just didn't sit with me at all. I didn't like the language used by the characters, I found the main character to be a bit too empty for me and lot of little details left unattended. Really the only part I actually enjoyed was towards the end when they are all in the cab and the taxi driver gets involved. Gave me a chuckle.
Brianna
Aug 26, 2015 Brianna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't disliked a book this much in a long time. I got maybe 1/3 the way through because it was like when you can't turn your head away from looking at that cop, accident, or whatever. The characters were completely unlikeable, even the main character. I could go on, but I won't...time to go find a different book to read!
Sommer
May 20, 2008 Sommer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fluff book but really funny. I think I actually laughed out loud a couple of times while reading this book. Liz leaves her cheating husband and has to find new real estate in NYC although I think the apartment hunting could be a metaphor to her finding herself and all that entails. Although, I wont go there with this book. Just have a fluffy weekend and enjoy this book for what it is.
  • Happiness Sold Separately
  • Otherwise Engaged
  • Girl Most Likely to
  • Name & Address Withheld
  • Dating Without Novocaine
  • Slightly Engaged (Slightly, #3)
  • Sweet Ruin
  • Family Trust
  • The Summer Of Us
  • Trials of Tiffany Trott
  • The Will
An American novelist, based in New York City.

She attended Bronx High School of Science and dropped out of college. She has also written columns for Ms. magazine. In 2002, she married entertainment lawyer Andrew Krents, after they were introduced by fellow novelist Amy Sohn.

Her work has appeared in The New York Times Magazine, The New York Observer, London’s The Independent, Cosmopolitan, Harper’s
More about Jennifer Belle...

“I wished I could be a statue. I wanted to be the statue of Joan of Arc without actually having to have been Joan of Arc… And I thought, I must really hate my life if I can get jealous of a statue.” 0 likes
“That was the problem with having a job – having to associate with people you wouldn’t sit next to on the subway.” 0 likes