Start by marking “The Citadel of Chaos (Fighting Fantasy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Citadel of Chaos (Fighting Fantasy, #2)

The Citadel of Chaos (Fighting Fantasy #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  375 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Part story, part game, this is a book with a diference - one in which YOU become the hero!

The Citadel of Chaos holds a dark and dangerous peril for anyone foolhardy enough to venture through its gruesome gates. And yet venture you must, for your mission lies at the heart of the Citadel, with the dread sorcerer, Balthus Dire.

Two dice, a pencil and eraser are all you need to
Paperback
Published 1983 by Puffin Books

To ask other readers questions about The Citadel of Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Citadel of Chaos

Jason Koivu
Assassination, sorcerer style, is the name of the game in The Citadel of Chaos!

Steve Jackson has been pumping out these gamebooks for decades. I believe there's something like 60 of them. In them you play an adventurer on a quest that involves a dungeon crawl, a term gamers use to describe an adventure in which your character is going room-to-room through some kind of controlled area, like a dungeon, crypt, catacombs, caves, etc. For the purpose of books like this, which are very much modeled up
Lady Entropy
This grade is total, absolute nostalgia induced.
And that's okay.

This was the first Fighting Fantasy book I read, and I fell in love with it, the concept, the goal and the execution (especially because there were so many ways with which to actually defeat the final boss).

Also, I got to be a magic user!
David Nichols
Like its predecessor, CITADEL OF CHAOS follows the basic plan of a solitaire dungeon-crawl: break into the fortress-lair of an evil boss monster, defeat his lesser minions and traps, accumulate useful treasures, and kill the Big Bad Guy. CITADEL adds two twists to this narrative. First, players take the role of magic-users, who can cast up to eighteen spells per game from a list of twelve (rather generic) incantations, when and as specific gamebook entries prompt them. Second, rather than the co ...more
Graham
More nostalgia as I dug out this follow-up to THE WARLOCK OF FIRETOP MOUNTAIN to see how it's held up all these years. These are the books I absolutely loved as a kid (and ones which gave me a life-long love of fantasy).

CITADEL is short but effective. The plot is virtually the same as in WARLOCK, except this time you need to infiltrate a citadel instead of a mountain. Once again the aim is assassination, with the excellently-named 'Balthus Dire' your main target.

There are a few differences, main
Shane Jeffery
Okay, so not long ago I read The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, after many years of not touching the Fighting Fantasy books I enjoyed during my youth. I’ve decided to keep going with the series. The follow, The Citadel of Chaos, came out a year later (along with books 3 – 5). As surprised as I was to find how much I enjoyed Firetop after all these years, I was equally surprised to find that Citadel didn’t even begin to live up to expectation.

This one was written by Jackson alone (without co-series
David Sarkies
May 04, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gamer Geeks
Recommended to David by: Initially my primary school bookclub, and then I just kept buying them
Shelves: gamebook
An apprentice wizard goes off to assassinate some powerful sorcerer
10 June 2012

This is the second of the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks and it seems to have been designed differently to the first one. The most noticeable difference is that I do not think that this book is designed to be mapped. The reason that I say this is that the book seems to be more of a collection of encounters inside a citadel rather than actually being able to explore the citadel. In fact, mapping this particular gamebook
Michael Kelly
This was the first Fighting Fantasy gamebook I ever got, over 25 years ago, and I was hooked.

It took me several attempts to complete it back then and it took me several attempts again this time. Those damned Ganjees kept stumping me back in the day, and I couldn't remember this time round how to deal with them until I finally found an object that would do the trick.

There are a lot of branching paths, but there are a couple of places you have to visit and a couple of items you have to obtain in o
Paul
Full playthrough and review at http://torallion.blogspot.com

This book is the second in the Fighting Fantasy series after The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. Again we have a classic plot, albeit one which is more fleshed out than TWoFM’s. This time we have a believable backstory, a real villain, and a potential hero with a real motivation for taking said villain down (well, a motivation beyond ‘ooh shinies’). The environment itself made more sense, with rooms appearing to have a purpose rather than
Pete
An improvement on Warlock, and the use of magic is a welcome addition. To be honest, I didn't realise the core stats were expanded on this early in the series.

I was killed by Gangees not far from the end, will return one day to try and complete my mission.
Paul Gibbons
Met some nasty deaths in this one. My ass royally stomped by some weird ass creatures. Liked the idea of using spells but this one was very hard to beat. Spider with a man face ? - Ganjees ? wtf? - I liked it but found it a bit brutal. You'll get bored of re-rolling your character sheet before you finish it.
Icedlake
Back in the late 1980s this was my first gamebook I happened to read. Despite the fact that the plot is really thin, the weird animals lurking in the citadel will give this FF chapter a place in the sun. Thumbs-up for the balancing. All in all it was a masterpiece for its era.
Biserka
I enjoyed this book. It is not my favorite fighting fantasy, but it is not bad. I feel like it is slightly shorter than the rest of the books from the series, but that did not bother me, since I was actually looking for something short.
Ryan
Dug this out of my basement after a friend of mine mentioned using a similar sort of game idea/mechanic for his Nanowrimo project this year. Really interesting game/book hybrid - like a mix of Choose Your Own Adventure and D&D.
The Treeman
I actually think this was more interesting and fun than the first book. I failed 8 times before I finally managed to get through it which frustrated me a lot. But it still had a lot of fun ideas and challenges.
Colin
Another Steve Jackson classic reprint. I don't know if others would enjoy this one as much as I did - for me it's now mostly nostalgia factor of the Woonsocket Public Library of the mid-to-late-1980s.
Matthew
Looking back at this book brings back a lot of memories.This was the
first Fighting Fantasy book I read when I was a kid(way back in 1984)
It took me three attempts to complete it,still enjoyed though.
Donna
A fairly decent fantasy game book, enough to keep you entertained for a few hours when you're a kid.
Eveymorgan
Un libro para pasártelo en grande jugando una partida de rol en solitario o en grupo.
Rob P.
God I loved these as a child. Hell, I'd probably still love them now..
D.
The Citadel of Chaos (Fighting Fantasy) by Steve Jackson (2002)
Josh Smith
it was ok, but not really a book since it included dice.
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Sam Humphrey
Sam Humphrey marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Yhet
Yhet marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Caroline Berg
Caroline Berg marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
  • Deathtrap Dungeon (Fighting Fantasy, #6)
  • Fire on the Water (Lone Wolf, #2)
  • Revenge of the Rainbow Dragons (Endless Quest #6)

British game designer, often confused with the American game designer of the same name.

Along with Ian Livingstone, creator of the Fighting Fantasy books.

More about Steve Jackson...

Fighting Fantasy (1 - 10 of 60 books)
  • The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Fighting Fantasy, #1)
  • Forest of Doom (Fighting Fantasy, #3)
  • Starship Traveller (Fighting Fantasy, #4)
  • City Of Thieves (Fighting Fantasy, #5)
  • Deathtrap Dungeon (Fighting Fantasy, #6)
  • Island of the Lizard King (Fighting Fantasy, #7)
  • Scorpion Swamp (Fighting Fantasy, #8)
  • Caverns of the Snow Witch (Fighting Fantasy, #9)
  • House of Hell (Fighting Fantasy, #10)
  • Talisman of Death (Fighting Fantasy, #11)
The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Fighting Fantasy, #1) House of Hell (Fighting Fantasy, #10) The Shamutanti Hills (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #1) Kharé - Cityport of Traps (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #2) The Crown of Kings (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #4)