Start by marking “The Collected Short Stories of Maxim Gorky” as Want to Read:
The Collected Short Stories of Maxim Gorky

The Collected Short Stories of Maxim Gorky

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  463 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Maxim Gorky continues to be regarded as the greatest literary representative of revolutionary Russia. Born of the people, and having experienced in his own person their sufferings and their misery, he was enabled by his extraordinary genius to voice their grievances and their aspirations for a better life as no academic could.

His international fame rests on a tremendous l

Published August 18th 1988 by Citadel Press

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Short Stories of Maxim Gorky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Short Stories of Maxim Gorky

The Horse's Mouth by Joyce CaryA Division of the Spoils by Paul ScottThe Day of the Scorpion by Paul ScottThe Best of Philip K. Dick by Philip K. DickThe Towers of Silence by Paul Scott
REALLY Underrated Books (Fewer than 1,000 Ratings)
26th out of 2,862 books — 1,124 voters
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor DostoyevskyAnna Karenina by Leo TolstoyThe Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyThe Master and Margarita by Mikhail BulgakovWar and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Best Russian Literature
213th out of 349 books — 1,385 voters

More lists with this book...

علی
Gorky’s works do exude the common pessimism, but that's clearly a by-product of the dreadful living conditions Gorky and Co. underwent. Beginning with detailed descriptions of place, Gorky always delineates his characters so very painstakingly.

”Gorky is a master of the gamut of human emotion. As glorious as I find "Birth of a Man, equally profoundly disturbing do I find his narration of the kitten's fate in "Notch." Yet, the sarcasm that perpetually lies beneath the surface, indeed, he is arguab...more
Author Vibhu Ashok
Reaches to depth of heart and transforms - Vibhu Ashok

I picked up this book randomly...looking for something else and it came out of blue...after reading few pages of it, I get hooked up to the beauty, that is expressed there in...something is unique about Gorky's style. he is like a poet among writers, who knows how to take us to inert depth of consciousness...something comes out and transform us...I can read it numerous times.
Titik Musyarofah
Dongeng Dari Sayap Kiri:
kalo ga salah kumpulandari cerpen yang ditulis oleh Maxim Gorky (Dua Saabat), GabrielGRCIA mARQUEZ (Wanita yang datang Pukul 6), John Steinbeck (bunga-bunga krisan), Jean-Pail Sarrtre (Dinding), Lu Hsun (Obat).
Nikmati wajah lain cerpen yang tidak bergaya "sastra borjuis"...
Kamili
This was another casualty from my russian author phase. I wouldn't run right out and get it, but your local library probably has this just sitting on the shelf. (That's where I found it). I was glad I read it, and, as a bonus, it made me feel smarter.
Kiran
Excellent set of short stories. You can see a different flavor on non-classical English yet very effective.
Herb Bogart
I wish people read more of Gorky. He's a superb writer. I highly recommend his Three Friends.
Mio
Mio marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Sumati
Sumati marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Subhojit Mandal
Subhojit Mandal marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Kendall
Kendall marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Paulo Muller
Paulo Muller marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Zia
Zia marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Bryan Chambers
Bryan Chambers marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Flip
Flip marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
  • The Collected Stories
  • Collected Stories
  • My Past and Thoughts: The Memoirs of Alexander Herzen
  • Poor Liza
  • First Love and Other Stories (World's Classics)
  • The Eternal Husband and Other Stories
  • What Is to Be Done?
  • Demon
  • All the Stories of Muriel Spark
  • پرتره
  • The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956: An Experiment in Literary Investigation, books III-IV
  • Sleepwalker in a Fog
  • The Same Old Story
  • The Collected Stories of Isaac Babel
Aleksey Maximovich Peshkov (Russian: Алексе́й Макси́мович Пешков; better known as Maxim Gorky (Russian: Макси́м Го́рький, IPA: [mɐˈksʲim ˈɡorʲkʲɪj]), was a Russian/Soviet author, a founder of the socialist realism literary method and a political activist.

From 1906 to 1913 and from 1921 to 1929 he lived abroad, mostly in Capri, Italy; after his return to the Soviet Union he accepted the cultural po...more
More about Maxim Gorky...
Mother My Childhood The Lower Depths My Universities My Apprenticeship