Start by marking “Red Car, Red Bus” as Want to Read:
Red Car, Red Bus

Red Car, Red Bus

Red bus. Red car, red bus. Yellow car, red car, red bus. This beautifully simple picture book introduces the concept of patterns to the youngest child. With an ever-growing traffic queue and entertaining background storylines, this highly original book provides plenty to amuse young readers while also being very suitable for early years education.
Published June 26th 2012 by Frances Lincoln Children's Bks (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Red Car, Red Bus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Car, Red Bus

Tasha
Sep 05, 2012 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Turn to the first page of this picture book and you will see people waiting at a bus stop. Another page turn has them aboard the bus and only two words: “Red bus.” The next page has a red car join the red bus and readers will see two people dashing for the bus stop. By the time the bus reaches its next stop, the page is filled not only with a yellow van, yellow car, the red car and the red bus, but the people running for the bus have dropped their teddy bear. As the pages turn, the road gets mor ...more
Drew Graham
Mar 22, 2016 Drew Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Colorful mixed media vehicles make their way through the town with riders and drivers in tow and meeting pedestrians along the way.

I didn't think this book was amazing at first glance, but The Boy (2.75) sure likes it, and upon repeated readings the details in the story and the textures and mixed media started to jump out at me a little more (though I noticed the clever bits used to make rain right away). It has a nice pattern and it's fun to follow the individual characters along their journeys
Library Quine
With minimal text, this book traces the journey of a red bus, with changing scenery, and a growing convoy of other vehicles (cars, vans and lorries of various colours, and another bus). The pictures also depict pedestrians and a bus stop. There is plenty to discuss, but I unfortunately missed the little boy's loss of his teddy (mentioned by other reviewers). The pictures are clear and make great use of primary colours. Would work for a colours, traffic or vehicles storytime, particularly if you ...more
Kelsey
May 19, 2013 Kelsey rated it liked it
Age: infant-preschool
Things That Go: Cars, trucks, vans, bikes

A repetitive picture book that reinforces the ability to distinguish objects by their color and type. The words are simple and merely a description of the vehicles on the page so the repetition is a bit obnoxious IF the parent is unwilling to talk about the pictures as they read along. I like how Steggall group the alike objects on the second to last page, allowing children to see alike and different.
Emma
Simple concept and aesthetically rich. Ll at 15 months likes to point out all the vehicles but also people, clouds, washing lines etc, and we talk about the people and what they are all doing, as well as reading the text.
*EDIT*
We reborrowed this from the library and Ll at 17.5 months had to read it about seven times in a row, so much fonder has absence made his heart. There is just so much in this book for him. Five really big stars.
Erin Buhr
Jul 07, 2014 Erin Buhr rated it really liked it
If you have a transportation fan, Steggall has a collection of wonderful books. Rattle and Rap and Busy Boats are two of our favorites. This one is a delightful addition. It is a simple format. The book begins with a Red Bus. Trucks, cars, and vans of all different color and size are added one by one to the page as the bus flows through the street and back to the edge of town. This is a great book for identifying types of vehicle, labeling colors, and counting.
Kimberly
Jun 08, 2016 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-favorites
My 5 yr old son loves this book, he would probably rate it a 5 star. We read this book over and over again, we were able to discuss each page. It is a very simple book with fun illustrations and simple vocabulary that is good for early readers.
Angel Serrano
Dana está aprendiendo los diferentes tipos de vehículos y, después de la eeciente mudanza, identificó la furgoneta amarilla como "la de papá". El libro, además de combinar colores con vehículos, cuenta una historia divertida.
Robin
Oct 15, 2012 Robin rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another wonderfully different children's book. The size and shape are a horizontally oriented rectangle. The art is and text are simple yet complex. Great for a lesson or story time about colors or vehicles!
Miriam
Dec 13, 2012 Miriam rated it it was amazing
What fun for storytimes or lap-reading. Not just colors, but sorting and ordering concepts are adeptly and unobtrusively covered in this handsome offering. There's plenty to see besides the vehicles in the cut and torn-paper collages, but the pages are full without seeming overly busy.
Cory
Dec 13, 2012 Cory rated it it was ok
I don't remember why I put this on my list of books to read. There weren't really many words, and the while the entire book was annoyingly gigantic, the pictures were too small to make me want to look at them for a long time.
Edna
Oct 20, 2013 Edna rated it liked it
Nice book for helping children identify wheeled vehicles (including bikes) and their colors. There's no plot - just the vehicle and color and really nice textured/cut-out illustrations.
Dana Beyer
Sep 03, 2015 Dana Beyer rated it it was amazing
From simple to complex this amazing illustrator adds vehicles until at the end there is a bustling busy street and the lonely bus stop.
Lexi
Nov 27, 2012 Lexi rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely book for learning colors, with delightful illustrations, full of details that make the book good for a variety of ages.
Janet
Simple, minimal text listing the vehicles on the road and their colors.

Could be good for a Toddler Time about transportation or colors.
Ashley
Jan 09, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Love the story the pictures tell about the red chasing the red bus.
Samantha
Jul 17, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
Cumulative story about transportation and color. Papercut illustrations. Add this one to your fave color books list.
Murph Eugene
Nov 19, 2012 Murph Eugene rated it liked it
PB29 - This is a good book for younger kids to teach them colors and names of different types of vehicles.
Brindi Michele
2 1/2 stars
Emerson and Theodore
Jul 14, 2014 Emerson and Theodore rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
Already gave a book report on this book today it is very elementary but the repetition is good for a young boy who is learning to recognize words.
Maija
Aug 09, 2013 Maija rated it it was amazing
What beautiful illustrations. I found them so expressive. I can't wait to read this at story time.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This simple picture book looks at colors, and vehicles, and also maintains an a,a,b,b pattern as colors are introduced.
Jessica
Apr 07, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Really great simple book - perfect for early reading with simple text and repetition. Illustrations tell their own story which adds an additional fun element.
Jesse Strauss
Jul 12, 2012 Jesse Strauss rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Beautiful beautiful cut and torn paper illustrations. The cars (accurate; e.g. a Mini Cooper), architecture and people are all crafted from what is obviously a European city-dweller's observation.
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2013
reesha
reesha rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2016
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2012
Aisha
Aisha rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Charles
Charles rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2015