The Alphabet Not Unlike the World: Poems

The Alphabet Not Unlike the World: Poems

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In her accomplished second collection of poems, Katrina Vandenberg writes from the intersection of power and forgiveness. With poems named for letters of the Phoenician alphabet, and employing such innovative forms as the ancient ghazal, Vandenberg deciphers the seemingly indecipherable in this extraordinary becoming of self through language. Moving between the physical an...more
Published May 15th 2012 by Milkweed Editions

To ask other readers questions about The Alphabet Not Unlike the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alphabet Not Unlike the World

Jenny
This volume was a bit more hit or miss with me than Atlas, which I loved from beginning to end. There are some fantastic poems in here but some of the alphabet related poems, although thought provoking, felt a little contrived. Still one of the better volumes of poetry I've read though.
Molly
Nov 24, 2012 Molly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: poems
Some days we are comfortable enough that we don't know the sky / is there much less that we should raise our arms to it. (21)
when moon-suited firemen climbed inside, // the upstairs window was singing with flies. (27)
prey animals / have their babies fast, to walk away before the blood / attracts a predator (66)
I would not have trusted anyone to see // that something growing inside me wanted out, / wanted to be shaking and raw, wet and new. (66)

poem I love and that weaves many layers together:
"E"...more
Barbara
Oh, so smart and beautiful and about important things--I envy it, it's just so perfect.
Matt
A very solid book of poems, one that covers a surprisingly wide range of territory, from the semi-linguistic explorations of letters to the more personal, narrative poems that make up the book. I really appreciated the way this book wanted to have it both ways, as experimental and self-regarding and also aware of the world, its blandishments and emotional costs, and I think it mostly succeeded at that. Good stuff here.
Luke Daly
This book is so full of bravura and complexity. The shifting gaze and disjointed syntax challenge me but do not ever leave me behind completely. And I really like it. The agility she displays is virtuous and hearkens back to the great leapers like Neruda. Looking for dragon smoke. Eating it.
Amber
Like "Atlas," I find this collection emotive, powerful and beautiful. I highly recommend Katrina Vandenberg to anyone looking for a little bit of lovely in their life, just be prepared to feel the words as the ebb and flow off the page.
Kathleen
Original and accomplished. This work is a pleasure to read.
Denise
Even better than her first.
Joyce
Joyce is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Laurel Alexander
Laurel Alexander marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Abby
Abby added it
Oct 27, 2013
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
Sophie Ann
Sophie Ann marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2013
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Atlas: Poems The Road to Happiness On Marriage

“In math, the backwards E, ∃, means there exists. ∈ means part of a set. A line through that ∉ means excluded from. Everyone ∃, but not everyone ∈. We all feel that, unless we ∈, we do not ∃.” 5 likes