Start by marking “At Yellow Lake” as Want to Read:
At Yellow Lake

At Yellow Lake

3.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  123 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Etta, Peter and Jonah all find themselves at a cabin by the shore of Yellow Lake, and flung together in the terrifying series of events that follows.
Jonah has come to Yellow Lake to try to get in touch with his Ojibwe roots. Peter is there to bury a lock of his mother's hair - her final request. Etta is on the run from her mother's creepy boyfriend, Kyle, and his dodgy fri
Published June 7th 2012 by Frances Lincoln Children's Bks (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about At Yellow Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Yellow Lake

Isabel8118
Jul 03, 2014 Isabel8118 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
This book did not impress me. When I first approached it, I expected something creepy and a bit scary-maybe with a mystery type feel. What certainly reinforced that idea was Anne Cassidy's description of how it "oozed menace".

However, I never truly felt that this book had a menacing feel. It was only after reading about 70% of the book that the action really started. And what came before that, was uninteresting-like it was fluff.

What was well done was the development of the idea of Jonah feeli
Trixi
Jul 27, 2015 Trixi rated it liked it
This book had great potential but never fulfilled what I was expecting. Etta has recently moved to near Yellow lake with her mother, a wandering soul who seems to be attracted to unsavory men. Etta feels uncomfortable around the latest boyfriend, Kyle, who seems to put moves on her and also brings drugs into their home. Jonah is on a personal quest to get in touch with his Indian heritage. He is at the lake trying to live off the land and learn what it is to truly be Indian. Peter arrives at the ...more
Once Upon a Twilight
Jun 18, 2012 Once Upon a Twilight rated it really liked it
The quest to find oneself always makes for a good story. Add in a little drama and some intense thrill, then you have yourself a great novel. At Yellow Lake has all these attributes which lends to the enriched drama displayed in the novel. The author, Jane McLoughlin does a wonderful job of showing the emotion and inter turmoil of the characters. As you read the book, you can't help but to have a sense of sympathy for the main characters. In At yellow Lake we get to know three teenagers, each de ...more
Maggie
Jul 22, 2013 Maggie rated it liked it
Another book that would have benefitted from the half star system! I felt more strongly than "liked it" but not quite to "really liked it". My favorite part was the relationships between the characters, and my least favorite part was the unbelievability of the adults - a common problem in YA literature.

Jonah, Etta, and Peter all end up at Yellow Lake on separate quests: Jonah, a part Ojibwe Indian on his mother's side, wants to get back in touch with his ancestral roots. Etta is running from her
Luna
Oct 24, 2015 Luna rated it liked it
Shelves: uk-authors

At Yellow Lake is different from anything I’ve read this year, it’s intense and emotional. There are some moments in the story that a heart-breaking. Jane McLoughlin has provided three very different characters that all have their own stories – which bring them together at Yellow Lake.

I did enjoy this book but it took me a while to get used to the narration. Each character’s story is told in alternating chapters throughout the book. Etta’s is in first person, whereas Peter and Jonah’s c
Pamela Todd
Jan 21, 2013 Pamela Todd rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-mg, read-in-2013
At Yellow Lake was an exciting mix of action and adventure, inner quests and courage, and forming friendships.

Three teens are drawn to Yellow Lake: Jonah, part Ojibwe Indian who is trying to connect with his heritage. Peter, who promised his mother to bury a lock of her hair by the lake after her death. Etta, who is on the run from her mother’s boyfriend, Kyle. Peter’s family owns a cabin at the lake, and after he helps Etta escape from Kyle, they hide out in the cabin. Shortly after the meet Jo
G. Lawrence
Mar 27, 2016 G. Lawrence rated it really liked it
I cant say I found this book particularly creepy, as per the description on the cover, but I did find it dark, especially when it came to Etta's story. Well written, poetic in parts, and I enjoyed the development of the three teenagers, their reasons for coming to the lake and how their stories came to converge. Three lost souls who find courage and companionship together, face dangerous odds, and find the spirit they need to live in the 'real' world again afterwards. Good read.
Anne
Sep 09, 2012 Anne rated it liked it
At Yellow Lake is aimed at older children, it's a fairly good read for adults too, but doesn't cross-over as well as other YA books that I've read recently.
Told in alternating chapters by each of the three main characters, the background of the main players; Etta, Peter and Jonah are explained well. The reader knows exactly who they are and why they are at the cabin on Yellow Lake. The young characters are very well done, each with individual voices, each with their own character and each with a
Debra
Oct 14, 2014 Debra rated it really liked it
At Yellow Lake is a young adult novel following three young people running away from troubled lives. They meet at an old cabin at Yellow Lake, arriving for different reasons from from different places, as if fate put them there to face their worst nightmares while learning to really care about each other and realize what they did have, rather than what they lacked.
salelbar
Jul 17, 2014 salelbar rated it it was ok
I don't think this book quite knows that it wants to be. It is clearly YA but with a couple of unpleasant and definitely adult moments - and as someone else pointed out, a few uses of the f-bomb. It had promise but lacked substance. I read it cover to cover in one day... It certainly doesn't 'ooze menace' as the strap line would have you believe, though.
Marie Danielle
May 06, 2014 Marie Danielle rated it did not like it
Terrible!

The only reason I gave it one star is because how the author chose unique characters but overall it's just horrible. But maybe one day I'll read it again, but not until I'm a little older.

Theme: Actions speak louder than words.
William
Sep 01, 2014 William rated it liked it
*I actually finished this 3 days ago, I didn't have wifi to update*
This was ok to me, but just that. Jonah was annoying in the beginning, and Peter was extremely annoying throughout the whole book. The character's actions annoyed me also sometimes. It ended pretty good though.
Helen Langley
Mar 17, 2014 Helen Langley rated it liked it
Good beginning but the story goes nowhere.
Kristin
Nov 13, 2012 Kristin rated it really liked it
Good mystery/suspense/thriller book for high school kids (due to some use of the f bomb). Found it in the staff picks section at Barnes & Noble. Was pleasantly surprised to find the settings to be the Twin Cities, Duluth, and Lake Superior areas. That was a fun surprise having lived up there for 14 years. I always like when you can visualize the settings because you've actually been there.
Clara
Mar 14, 2016 Clara rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-read
I did not enjoy this at all. It was something with this that bothered me. The characters felt... not real or just boring? The story was boring as well. You knew what was going to happen and at the same time did it all feel just weird and boring. I was so excited to read this - because it sounded so interesting - but it was a complete let down.
Liblee
Nov 08, 2013 Liblee rated it did not like it
Won't even finish this book. I stopped at 172. It goes nowhere. Most teens don't have patience for the rambling thoughts and random actions which consume this novel that really has no plot.
Rocio
Jun 06, 2012 Rocio rated it it was amazing
This a fantastic new writer. The characters are so realistic. And it has a very good sense of humor underneath the mystery, the tension and the cruelty of some chapters.
Great book.
Omena
Sep 22, 2013 Omena rated it it was ok
Honestly I expected a bit more mystery. I liked the setting but the characters frustrated me a lot so I'd have to say it wasn't my favorite.
Melissa
May 22, 2012 Melissa added it
Shelves: ya, did-not-finish
This book suffers from an audience problem. As in: who is this book supposed to be for??
Becky
Jan 25, 2013 Becky rated it liked it
I read this for the student book group. It was a bit more explicit than I was expecting.
Savita Kalhan
A great teen/YA read - absorbing, pacy, I loved it!
Melannie :)
Nov 15, 2011 Melannie :) marked it as to-read
mystery, crimes, and suspense?! I'M IN!!
Candy Gourlay
Mar 05, 2012 Candy Gourlay rated it it was amazing
A new voice that resonates with truth.
Ali
May 02, 2012 Ali rated it it was amazing
great book i love it
Mimi resto
Mimi resto rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Megs
Megs marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Kristen Williams
Kristen Williams marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
  • Daylight Saving
  • This Is Not a Drill
  • Five Parts Dead
  • All the Right Stuff
  • Forgotten: Seventeen and Homeless (Secrets, #1)
  • Raven Summer
  • Getting Somewhere
  • After the Snow (After the Snow, #1)
  • DJ Rising
  • Shine
  • The Howling Boy
  • Love-Shy
Jane McLoughlin was born in Minnesota and lived in several parts of the USA before she met her future husband in San Francisco and followed him to the UK. Over 20 years later, she is still there, living with her family on the south coast of England. "At Yellow Lake" is her first novel for young people.
More about Jane McLoughlin...