Start by marking “Once Upon a More Enlightened Time: More Politically Correct Bedtime Stories” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a More Enlightened Time: More Politically Correct Bedtime Stories

Once Upon a More Enlightened Time: More Politically Correct Bedtime Stories (Politically Correct Bedtime Stories #2)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  1,089 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Another enlightened collection from the bestselling author of Politically Correct Bedtime Stories. Garner continues his mission to liberate our classic fairy tales from archaic, sexist, ageist, classist, lookist, and environmentally unsound prejudices with a new collection of humorous tales for readers of evolved consciousness. 13 line drawings.
Published May 1st 1995 by MacMillan Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a More Enlightened Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a More Enlightened Time

Nine Stories by J.D. SalingerThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeA Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'ConnorDubliners by James JoyceThe Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
Collections of Short Stories
249th out of 1,894 books — 1,437 voters
A Curse Dark as Gold by Elizabeth C. BunceThe Ordinary Princess by M.M. KayeGolden by Cameron DokeyBeauty Sleep by Cameron DokeyBriar Rose by Jane Yolen
Fairy Tale Retellings: Hidden Gems
139th out of 387 books — 725 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel
I was given this book as a Christmas present by a cousin quite a few years ago... and I was a bit surprised. It wouldn't have occurred to me to pick up this book on my own, but I am glad someone else thought I would. This tells fairy tales in a more politically correct way, and made me laugh out loud several times. It's a fun book, especially for fairy tale lovers. I don't enjoy the oversensitivity that plagues our society, and the overreactions to being "disrespected" you see on every reality s ...more
Damar dara
Following in the footsteps of Politically Correct Bedtime Stories, this book retells classic bedtime stories, stripped of any elements that might be offensive to women, gays, short people, minorities, giants, or wolves, as well as any details that might encourage aggression, cruelty, sexism, prejudice, littering, and so on.
At the same time he pokes fun at our politically correct sensitivity, the author points out biases in our traditional stories that we may not have been aware of.
Chelsie
A continuation of stories to delight everyone who loved the first series of stories! It is a quick read(maximum an hour, and completely delightful! I especially loved 'A politically correct alphabet'..it made me laugh so hard I started crying!
Deviant Geek
brilliant sequel. retelling with wit and humor more classic stories
Julia Brumfield
A collection of some well-known fairytales that have been changed to be politically correct with word spellings, neutral phrases and a few explanations to explain why the politically correct want it that way. Furthermore the stories were changed to reflect how a story should progress or end with such material.

The writing was simple and easy to read although there were times when you were wanting to strangle the author and/or character for some long-breathed run-ons. And there are no pictures t
Jonathan Climas
I got the first book in this series when I was a teenager, it became one of my favourite books. This is a good follow-up to the first book. Familiar fairy tales are retold with total politically correctness. Women are womyn, dwarves are persons of less than average stature, witches aren't ugly they just don't conform to society's skewed perceptions of feminine beauty. Its all very tongue in cheek causing you to giggle as you read. The fairy tales never end the way they traditionally do and are i ...more
Izzi
This book is hilarious. Once Upon A More Enlightened Time is a collection of classic fairy tales, recreated to be politically correct. To show us the biases and issues in our traditional stories, these new tales are stripped of offensive elements that propagate sexism, aggression, or prejudices against other minority groups. All the while, the author pokes fun at people’s politically correct sensitivity.

These new tales include:

Hansel and Gretel.
The Ant and the Grasshopper.
The Princess and the Pe
PurplyCookie
Following in the footsteps of "Politically Correct Bedtime Stories", this book retells classic bedtime stories, stripped of any elements that might be offensive to women, gays, short people, minorities, giants, or wolves, as well as any details that might encourage aggression, cruelty, sexism, prejudice, littering, and so on.

The titles
Hollie Robb
After reading this, I started reading the second chapter of Ether, and I started laughing. I realized that the Brother of Jared wrote in some-what in politically correct views. For example Ether 2:1-3:

"1 And it came to pass that Jared and his brother, and their families, and also the friends of Jared and his brother and their families, went down into the valley which was northward, (and the name of the valley was Nimrod, being called after the mighty hunter) with their flocks which they had gath

Anne

If you're looking for a light, humorous and politicall correct book, this is it! I will never look at fairy tales the same way! :)

These new tales include:

Hansel and Gretel.
The Ant and the Grasshopper.
The Princess and the Pea.
The Little Mer-Persun.
The Tortoise and the Hare.
Puss In Boots.
Sleeping Persun of Better-Than-Average-Attractiveness.
The City Mouse and the Suburban Mouse.

Sharon Todd
This book had a more positive attitude (story endings) than Garner's first book, which made me happy.
I think his changes in terminology were best in The Princess and the Pea, where the King had reached corporal terminality, and the Prince, full of himself, went off on his equine colleague to find someone to enslave in matrimony. You get the idea.
Eight bedtime stories, all beginning in the familiar fashion, but unexpected endings.
Mindy
Between 4 stars and 5. I can definitely appreciate this book much more now than when I was a kid. I think my favorite was The Little Mer-Persun, but they're all really funny. And I'm not even a political person (persun?). I need to go pick up the first book to figure out what the strange spellings are all about.
Rory
My wife had acquired this book from her sister before we married and I honestly never saw it until our most recent move. Since it was a small book and a short read before bedtime there was little to stop me.

I like the sharp wit, the wordplay, the humor. It is humor I love because it is like watch "His Girls Friday" with Cary Grant having his mouth spout off 200 words a minute. If you're able to hang with every word you might be laughing too hard and miss the next zinger. In some sense the book a
Karima
This processed tree carcass is a delight to read. In this modern age where heightened sensitivity has given rise to all types of political correctness, this author does a rewrite of fairytales in favour of women's issues, minority cultures and the environment.

Guaranteed to inspire some laughs with twists in the tales like Goldilocks being a melanin-impoverished rogue biologist; the Emperor not being naked but merely endorsing a clothing-optional lifestyle; and my favourite, Red Riding Hood, her
Patrick
This is a really funny satire, just like the previous volume. There's a rather creepy foreshadowing of the 2008 election in the re-telling of "Puss in Boots," in which the cat helps its owner run for political office: "Now Puss in Boots began to work in earnest to get his meal ticket elected to the senate. He issued position papers that were totally pointless yet exquisitely quotable...They challenged the incumbent to a debate and then backed out at the last minute, declaring that such an event ...more
Marya
The second publication of Gardner's shows the idea has run a little thin. At this point, the tales are more about mocking political correctness than mocking the art of retelling fairy tales. The end result is a collection of stories that are funny, but not intellectually so as was the case with the first book.

Having said that, this book is entirely worth it for the last story, The City Mouse and The Suburban Mouse. Gardner does a great job of addressing cultural stereotypes, while also examining
Wit
Eh, it tried too hard to be funny. I've read some more updated and politically correct fairy tales and this just seemed to be poking fun at them.
Joy
In this follow up book to Politically Correct Bedtime Stories, Garner returns to modify a bunch more fairy tales that he didn't get around to the first time to be politically correct.

P.S. Still not for your children.
Bea
Another delightful book retelling fairy tales in politically correct language. A real hoot! The book covers eight tales. My favorite was "Sleeping Persun of Better-Than-Average Attractiveness".

After the prince awakens Rosamond...

(she says) "...I am your princess, and you have come to take me away from all this, make me your bride, bring me to a big castle with a white picket fence, and let me live happily ever after!"

(he responds) "Take you away? From this Shangri-la, this Utopia? But your entir
Bish Denham
A continuation of retold fairy tales told from the politically correct point of view. Very funny. Every time I thought I'd figured out how the story was going to turn, I was wrong!
Beth
Another very fun read from Mr. Garner, and a great follow-up to "Politically Correct Bedtime Stories". With stories like "The Little Mer-Persun" and "Sleeping Persun of Better-Than-Average Attractiveness", Garner continues the fun of remolding each bedtime story into a satire of modern economical, political, and gender perspectives, particularly those of uber-radical feminism.

Perhaps not the best read for your 5 year-old child (unless they have a rather precocious intelligence), but this is a su
Kichi
Massively entertaining. I devoured this one during a short steamship trip.
Lizzy
Apr 02, 2014 Lizzy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Basically my opinion is this: good idea, poor execution.
Sandy
cute, but gets old fast
Katie
Nov 03, 2010 Katie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I had a hard time trying to decide what to make of this book. I couldn't tell if the author was being serious about the over-the-top political-correctness of this book, or if he was poking fun at it. If the stories were written in jest, then the book was hilariously funny. However, if the book was written in all seriousness, then it was terribly obnoxious. I suspect it was written as a little bit of both though, and have thus decided my ranking in the same way - 3 stars, right in the middle.
Charles
I don't really consider this a classic, but since it is a retelling of classic fairy tales I put it here. I assume a lot of folks with a better sense of humor than I have would enjoy it, but I found it interesting at first and then more of the same old, same old. Well written and clever, but not my area of interest as far as reading goes.

Why did I read it? Because Lana had it in the bathroom for bathroom reading. I saw it, I read it.
Jeannette
Alex
Didn't even know there was a second one!

UPDATE:

Got this from the library and read it last night. Just as funny as the first one. This definitely wouldn't be something everyone would like, but for people like me who enjoy snark and sarcasm, it was right up my alley. Too bad the story "The Duckling Who Was Judged on His Physical Appearance and Not His Merits" had to be left out for space, as stated in the beginning. =)
Elevetha
In my humble opinion, the best parts about this book are the Introduction and Alphabet, which are really very clever, though that vein doesn't seem to continue as strongly throughout the rest of the book, sadly. The stories themselves, a set of retold fairytales, while worth the casual once over for a laugh, are a bit lackluster.
Miranda
Mr. Garner's revisited fairy tales are enormously funny. It takes a lot of creativity and sophisication to rewrite them in such a forward-thinking way. I recommend these books to all of us on the fringe with our alternative thinking and anti-status quo ways.

If only there were more authors writing pre-adult stories like this!
  • The Outspoken Princess and The Gentle Knight
  • Why Do Dogs Have Wet Noses?
  • Grimm's Grimmest
  • Wizards and Witches (The Enchanted World Series)
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • The Green Fairy Book
  • Dave Barry Is Not Taking This Sitting Down
  • Ophelia Joined the Group Maidens Who Don't Float: Classic Lit Signs on to Facebook
  • The Boondocks: Public Enemy #2
  • Best-Loved Folktales of the World
  • I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression
  • Urban Legends: 666 Absolutely True Stories That Happened to a Friend...of a Friend…of a Friend
  • Not from Concentrate
  • Last Chapter and Worse
  • World's Best Fairy Tales
  • Garfield's Halloween Adventure (Formerly Titled Garfield in Disguise)
  • One Hundred Great Books In Haiku
  • I Want You to Shut the F#ck Up: How the Audacity of Dopes Is Ruining America
James Finn Garner is an American writer and satirist based in Chicago.[1] He is the author of Politically Correct Bedtime Stories,[2] Tea Party Fairy Tales, and Honk Honk, My Darling.
More about James Finn Garner...

Politically Correct Bedtime Stories (3 books)
  • Politically Correct Bedtime Stories
  • The Politically Correct Ultimate Storybook: Politically Correct Bedtime Stories, Politically Correct Holiday Stories, Once Upon a More Enlightened Time
Politically Correct Bedtime Stories Politically Correct Holiday Stories: For an Enlightened Yuletide Season Apocalypse Wow!:  A Memoir for the End of Time Tea Party Fairy Tales Honk Honk, My Darling (A Rex Koko, Private Clown Mystery #1)