Start by marking “Once Upon a More Enlightened Time: More Politically Correct Bedtime Stories” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a More Enlightened Time: More Politically Correct Bedtime Stories

Once Upon a More Enlightened Time: More Politically Correct Bedtime Stories (Politically Correct Bedtime Stories #2)

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  1,327 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
Another enlightened collection from the bestselling author of Politically Correct Bedtime Stories. Garner continues his mission to liberate our classic fairy tales from archaic, sexist, ageist, classist, lookist, and environmentally unsound prejudices with a new collection of humorous tales for readers of evolved consciousness. 13 line drawings.
Published May 1st 1995 by Macmillan (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a More Enlightened Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a More Enlightened Time

Rachel
May 13, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
I was given this book as a Christmas present by a cousin quite a few years ago... and I was a bit surprised. It wouldn't have occurred to me to pick up this book on my own, but I am glad someone else thought I would. This tells fairy tales in a more politically correct way, and made me laugh out loud several times. It's a fun book, especially for fairy tale lovers. I don't enjoy the oversensitivity that plagues our society, and the overreactions to being "disrespected" you see on every reality s ...more
Damar dara
Dec 26, 2007 Damar dara rated it liked it
Following in the footsteps of Politically Correct Bedtime Stories, this book retells classic bedtime stories, stripped of any elements that might be offensive to women, gays, short people, minorities, giants, or wolves, as well as any details that might encourage aggression, cruelty, sexism, prejudice, littering, and so on.
At the same time he pokes fun at our politically correct sensitivity, the author points out biases in our traditional stories that we may not have been aware of.
hissi
Sep 16, 2014 hissi rated it really liked it
brilliant sequel. retelling with wit and humor more classic stories
Mary
Jan 25, 2017 Mary rated it it was ok
Not nearly as entertaining as the original.
Sharon Todd
Jan 03, 2015 Sharon Todd rated it liked it
This book had a more positive attitude (story endings) than Garner's first book, which made me happy.
I think his changes in terminology were best in The Princess and the Pea, where the King had reached corporal terminality, and the Prince, full of himself, went off on his equine colleague to find someone to enslave in matrimony. You get the idea.
Eight bedtime stories, all beginning in the familiar fashion, but unexpected endings.
Nico
Sep 08, 2015 Nico rated it liked it
Funnier than the first but still cringeworthy because of how often I see people that actually think in this ultra politically correct way.
Bish Denham
Apr 10, 2015 Bish Denham rated it really liked it
A continuation of retold fairy tales told from the politically correct point of view. Very funny. Every time I thought I'd figured out how the story was going to turn, I was wrong!
Russ Cross
Jan 26, 2017 Russ Cross rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: humor fans
Recommended to Russ by: My sister.
A short, funny, little book. I enjoyed the look into a politically correct fairy-tale world.
Jeff
Oct 13, 2016 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: read-own, read-2016
Some funny retellings of old classics but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the first one.
Izze
Mar 02, 2014 Izze rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
This book is hilarious. Once Upon A More Enlightened Time is a collection of classic fairy tales, recreated to be politically correct. To show us the biases and issues in our traditional stories, these new tales are stripped of offensive elements that propagate sexism, aggression, or prejudices against other minority groups. All the while, the author pokes fun at people’s politically correct sensitivity.

These new tales include:

Hansel and Gretel.
The Ant and the Grasshopper.
The Princess and the Pe
PurplyCookie
Apr 12, 2009 PurplyCookie rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour-parody
Following in the footsteps of "Politically Correct Bedtime Stories", this book retells classic bedtime stories, stripped of any elements that might be offensive to women, gays, short people, minorities, giants, or wolves, as well as any details that might encourage aggression, cruelty, sexism, prejudice, littering, and so on.

The titles
Julia Brumfield
A collection of some well-known fairytales that have been changed to be politically correct with word spellings, neutral phrases and a few explanations to explain why the politically correct want it that way. Furthermore the stories were changed to reflect how a story should progress or end with such material.

The writing was simple and easy to read although there were times when you were wanting to strangle the author and/or character for some long-breathed run-ons. And there are no pictures t
Hollie Robb
Sep 27, 2010 Hollie Robb rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, fairytale
After reading this, I started reading the second chapter of Ether, and I started laughing. I realized that the Brother of Jared wrote in some-what in politically correct views. For example Ether 2:1-3:

"1 And it came to pass that Jared and his brother, and their families, and also the friends of Jared and his brother and their families, went down into the valley which was northward, (and the name of the valley was Nimrod, being called after the mighty hunter) with their flocks which they had gath

Jonathan
Mar 18, 2014 Jonathan rated it liked it
I got the first book in this series when I was a teenager, it became one of my favourite books. This is a good follow-up to the first book. Familiar fairy tales are retold with total politically correctness. Women are womyn, dwarves are persons of less than average stature, witches aren't ugly they just don't conform to society's skewed perceptions of feminine beauty. Its all very tongue in cheek causing you to giggle as you read. The fairy tales never end the way they traditionally do and are i ...more
Rory
Sep 26, 2008 Rory rated it really liked it
My wife had acquired this book from her sister before we married and I honestly never saw it until our most recent move. Since it was a small book and a short read before bedtime there was little to stop me.

I like the sharp wit, the wordplay, the humor. It is humor I love because it is like watch "His Girls Friday" with Cary Grant having his mouth spout off 200 words a minute. If you're able to hang with every word you might be laughing too hard and miss the next zinger. In some sense the book a
Karima
Jul 14, 2007 Karima rated it really liked it
Shelves: feminism, children
This processed tree carcass is a delight to read. In this modern age where heightened sensitivity has given rise to all types of political correctness, this author does a rewrite of fairytales in favour of women's issues, minority cultures and the environment.

Guaranteed to inspire some laughs with twists in the tales like Goldilocks being a melanin-impoverished rogue biologist; the Emperor not being naked but merely endorsing a clothing-optional lifestyle; and my favourite, Red Riding Hood, her
Charles
Oct 19, 2015 Charles rated it it was amazing
Fairy tales told in the most politically correct manner possible

This book is extremely funny. Garner takes the following classic fairy tales and turns them into extremely politically correct satires.

*) Hansel and Gretel
*) The Ant and the Grasshopper
*) The Little Mermaid
*) The Tortoise and the Hare
*) Puss In Boots
*) Sleeping Beauty
*) The City Mouse and the Country Mouse

The content can be summed up by the alternate title for Sleeping Beauty, “Sleeping Persun of Better-Than-Average Attractivenes
Patrick
Oct 10, 2013 Patrick rated it really liked it
This is a really funny satire, just like the previous volume. There's a rather creepy foreshadowing of the 2008 election in the re-telling of "Puss in Boots," in which the cat helps its owner run for political office: "Now Puss in Boots began to work in earnest to get his meal ticket elected to the senate. He issued position papers that were totally pointless yet exquisitely quotable...They challenged the incumbent to a debate and then backed out at the last minute, declaring that such an event ...more
Marya
Feb 17, 2008 Marya rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fantasy
The second publication of Gardner's shows the idea has run a little thin. At this point, the tales are more about mocking political correctness than mocking the art of retelling fairy tales. The end result is a collection of stories that are funny, but not intellectually so as was the case with the first book.

Having said that, this book is entirely worth it for the last story, The City Mouse and The Suburban Mouse. Gardner does a great job of addressing cultural stereotypes, while also examining
Liz Banks
Apr 06, 2016 Liz Banks rated it really liked it
I picked this book up to sell in a used book sale and then looked inside. There are nine short chapters. The first one is a politically correct alphabet - "A" is for activist itching to fight. "B" is a Beast with it's animal rights. The other chapters are retold fairy tales. My favorite might be "Sleeping Persun" where the pre-adult is cursed with, "May you grow up thinking you can't be complete without a man, put unrealistic hopes of perfect and total happiness on your marriage and become a bor ...more
Bea
Dec 09, 2011 Bea rated it liked it
Another delightful book retelling fairy tales in politically correct language. A real hoot! The book covers eight tales. My favorite was "Sleeping Persun of Better-Than-Average Attractiveness".

After the prince awakens Rosamond...

(she says) "...I am your princess, and you have come to take me away from all this, make me your bride, bring me to a big castle with a white picket fence, and let me live happily ever after!"

(he responds) "Take you away? From this Shangri-la, this Utopia? But your entir
Kirsten Simkiss
Sep 10, 2016 Kirsten Simkiss rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Following on the prior book, this one seemed to try to cover fairytales that had previously been left out of the first book. Why he simply did not encompass all of them in the same book I am unsure, but he did decently at it. While it wasn't as clever, I thought, as the first book, it was quite interesting how he altered stories. (I definitely would not have predicted turning the prince in the Little Mermaid into a prawn. But there you have it!)

I thought it odd that the princesses' names were c
Beth
Oct 26, 2013 Beth rated it really liked it
Another very fun read from Mr. Garner, and a great follow-up to "Politically Correct Bedtime Stories". With stories like "The Little Mer-Persun" and "Sleeping Persun of Better-Than-Average Attractiveness", Garner continues the fun of remolding each bedtime story into a satire of modern economical, political, and gender perspectives, particularly those of uber-radical feminism.

Perhaps not the best read for your 5 year-old child (unless they have a rather precocious intelligence), but this is a su
Katie
Nov 02, 2010 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
I had a hard time trying to decide what to make of this book. I couldn't tell if the author was being serious about the over-the-top political-correctness of this book, or if he was poking fun at it. If the stories were written in jest, then the book was hilariously funny. However, if the book was written in all seriousness, then it was terribly obnoxious. I suspect it was written as a little bit of both though, and have thus decided my ranking in the same way - 3 stars, right in the middle.
Tallulah
Jun 29, 2015 Tallulah rated it it was ok
Well that was stupid.

I don't know the exact real life context in which this was written (1995 or so I think) but pretty sure making fun of political correctness is always extremely petty and not funny. I've never seen it at the OTT level in this book (maybe it's a 90s thing) but these days, complaining about political correctness (read: stuff like not calling transgender people he-she) is a nice little way to let me know you're probably an asshole.

In this way, there was just something nasty an
Paul Black
Apr 05, 2016 Paul Black rated it it was ok
Bedtime stories made more politically correct. For example, the Little Mer-Persun, Hansel and Gretel becoming spell-slinging Wiccan eco-terroists, and Sleeping Persun-whose-outer-beauty-shouldn't-blind-us-to-her-accomplishments gets a sensitive Prince. Surely the book is satire, and the political correctness is pushed to silliness, but I can't figure out what Garner is making fun of. It is ingenuous, but the tales are nothing to reread. Or take time to read even once.
Alex
Jun 16, 2009 Alex rated it liked it
Didn't even know there was a second one!

UPDATE:

Got this from the library and read it last night. Just as funny as the first one. This definitely wouldn't be something everyone would like, but for people like me who enjoy snark and sarcasm, it was right up my alley. Too bad the story "The Duckling Who Was Judged on His Physical Appearance and Not His Merits" had to be left out for space, as stated in the beginning. =)
Jeannette
Jan 09, 2013 Jeannette rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Anne
Dec 10, 2014 Anne rated it liked it

If you're looking for a light, humorous and politicall correct book, this is it! I will never look at fairy tales the same way! :)

These new tales include:

Hansel and Gretel.
The Ant and the Grasshopper.
The Princess and the Pea.
The Little Mer-Persun.
The Tortoise and the Hare.
Puss In Boots.
Sleeping Persun of Better-Than-Average-Attractiveness.
The City Mouse and the Suburban Mouse.

Charles
May 26, 2009 Charles rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics
I don't really consider this a classic, but since it is a retelling of classic fairy tales I put it here. I assume a lot of folks with a better sense of humor than I have would enjoy it, but I found it interesting at first and then more of the same old, same old. Well written and clever, but not my area of interest as far as reading goes.

Why did I read it? Because Lana had it in the bathroom for bathroom reading. I saw it, I read it.
  • The Outspoken Princess and The Gentle Knight: A Treasury of Modern Fairy Tales
  • The Hard Facts of the Grimms' Fairy Tales
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • Why Do Dogs Have Wet Noses?
  • Grimm's Grimmest
  • The Green Fairy Book
  • Life's Little Annoyances: True Tales of People Who Just Can't Take It Anymore
  • Once Upon a Time
  • How to Be a Villain: Evil Laughs, Secret Lairs, Master Plans, and More!!!
  • Shenanigans!
  • An Undone Fairy Tale
  • An Introduction to the Philosophy of Science
  • The Gypsy Game (Game, #2)
  • Donald Duck
  • How to Insult, Abuse & Insinuate in Classical Latin
  • Wizards and Witches (The Enchanted World Series)
  • Masterpieces of Fantasy and Wonder
  • Dave Barry Is Not Taking This Sitting Down
James Finn Garner is an American writer and satirist based in Chicago.[1] He is the author of Politically Correct Bedtime Stories,[2] Tea Party Fairy Tales, and Honk Honk, My Darling.
More about James Finn Garner...

Politically Correct Bedtime Stories (3 books)
  • Politically Correct Bedtime Stories
  • The Politically Correct Ultimate Storybook: Politically Correct Bedtime Stories, Politically Correct Holiday Stories, Once Upon a More Enlightened Time