Start by marking “The Best Mistake” as Want to Read:

The Best Mistake

When Lacey Billings gives her boyfriend, Ran, an erotic wake-up call in the middle of the night, she’s shocked to discover that the gorgeous man she’s kissing isn’t Ran...it’s his cousin, Rick.

Although Ran laughs off the mix-up, Lacey and Rick can’t stop thinking about the unexpected encounter, and they can’t escape the scorching flashbacks it’s aroused.

Ran doesn’t want an

Published January 16th 2011 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about The Best Mistake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Mistake

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Jan 31, 2012 Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Quick review

Cover: Fitting
Rating NC-17 for the sexiness of it all
Overall: A super hot nibble of a story.
Characters: Well done.
Plot: Not much, but that is what’s expected for this length of story.
Page Turner: Yes.
Series Cont.? N/A
Recommend Yes
Book Boyfriend: Rick

SUMMARY (50 words or less)

Ladies, do you ever want to read some quick and hot. Well, this is the story for you. I read the summary which pretty much gives everything away. I still really enjoyed. I think I was giggling
Habrewer
Dec 27, 2011 Habrewer rated it liked it
The Best Mistake by Kate Watterson
* I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

When Lacey’s plane was delayed she decided to rent a car and drive the rest of the way home. She was tired and decided to go to Ran’s place rather than her own and surprise him. Little did she know that Ran wasn’t the one sleeping in his bed, his cousin Rick was.

Rick had just come off a sixteen hour shift at the hospital and Ran told him he could crash at the condo. They weren’t exp
Rose
"The Best Mistake" is a short erotic story that I sort of knew what I was getting into when I picked it up, but felt it didn't deliver as well considering the genre it was written in. My primary problem with the piece was that it didn't develop its characters or emotional connect well for such a short piece of fiction. For a story to click with me, the development of the characters and their relationship is key even for a story choosing to focus on the sensual interactions between those characte ...more
Darcy
Dec 18, 2011 Darcy rated it really liked it
This was a quick little story that started out funny. Lacey comes home after being gone a week, really misses her boyfriend and surprises him in bed...only it wasn't her boyfriend, but his cousin. Can we say awkward?????

There is just something about that situation that I found extremely funny. Neither of them was at fault and things were stopped before they went to far, but neither could shake the memory, making the next couple of times they saw each other very uncomfortable.

I liked that Ran did
Lynn
Dec 14, 2011 Lynn rated it really liked it
I really enjoy “outside-the-box” love stories with straight-forward, likeable characters. Here we have three competent, self-assured people who are mistakenly thrown into a situation that turns out to be The Best Mistake ever to happen to them.
Lacey decides to surprise her boyfriend Ran with a sexual wake-up call when she returns early from a business trip. In the dark room things progress pretty far before Lacey discovers the man she is with is Rick, Ran’s cousin. Both of them agree the situat
Paradise
Nov 14, 2016 Paradise rated it really liked it
Cute for being so short
Jen
Dec 27, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
Great story! This one had a really good relationship between Cousins - I love that they were Best friends from the begining. And being First cousins, they looked a lot alike.

The story starts off as Lacey gets home exhosted from her trip - she hated working out of town, and she Missed Ran - but knowing he sometimes worked late when she was out of town, she decided to be quiet and let him sleep.

Her plane was delayed because of storms, so he wasn't expecting her home until tomorrow - after a rela
Cocktails and Books
When I read the blurb for this book, I thought accidentally kissing a man that isn't your boyfriend could be a bit of a stretch, but stranger things have happened. It's fiction, move on. But when you read the "mix up" scene, you have to wonder how in the hell you couldn't have realized that the man you are with is not the man you have been sleeping with for the past year!

Let me set the scene. Lacey, having driven from Chicago to Indy after weather delayed her flight, is tired and longs for a hot
Kaetrin
Jan 02, 2012 Kaetrin rated it liked it
This sexy short novella had a very promising start - Lacey comes over to boyfriend Ran's apartment late at night after getting back from an interstate trip. For entirely believable reasons, it is Rick (Ran's cousin) in bed and when Lacey gives him a "hey-honey-I'm-home" surprise, both are mortified. I liked how Lacey's reaction included that she had all but raped Rick - I liked the notion that she took responsibility for her actions and accepted that she did not have Rick's willing consent. It w ...more
Christi Snow
Dec 20, 2011 Christi Snow rated it really liked it
My Review:

Whoa, this is one scorching hot little novella! I think what makes this so hot is the forbidden. As the reader, you know that Lacey is making a mistake...and that mistake goes pretty far before she realizes who is in her boyfriend's bed. It's hot and really smexy!

Then you get into the story and get to know these characters which I really liked. Ran and Rick are best friends as well as cousins. One is a doctor, one is a lawyer. Being cousins, they are built a lot alike. The difference i
Franjessca
Review also found on Book Lovin Mamas

I've been in a "Erotica" mood for awhile and I needed something to read that would help that mood. Glad I finally picked up "The Best Mistake" to read. It was a short ebook, but it was worth it. Now I look forward to reading more books from Kate Watterson.
Lacey Billings comes home after a week of traveling to a financial convention that she had to go to. She thinks she's coming home to her boyfriend, Ran. She wants to surprise Ran in a perfect way...in bed o
Romancing the Book
May 18, 2012 Romancing the Book rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary, erotica
Posted on Romancing the Book's blog
Reviewed by Marissa
Review Copy Provided by Netgalley

This is a novella about how one of the many threesomes in the romance novel world come together. It’s a bit skeevy (for me, at least) that the two men are cousins. They’re not having sex with each other but I still find it a bit weird that two men related to each other (in fact, they grew up as close as brothers) would be having sex with the same woman, at the same time. Just me? Maybe. I guess that’s somethin
Sassafrass
Feb 07, 2012 Sassafrass rated it liked it
Shelves: menage, netgalley, z-2012
Lacey wants to surprise her boyfriend, Ran, with wake up sex after being away on a business trip for a week. Well, she's the one in for a surprise when she finds out that it's not her boyfriend she's woken up but his cousin, Rick. What ensues makes their once easy going relationship very tense and uncomfortable.

Once in on the situation, Ran is not upset, and he doesn't want the two people he cares about most to be either. He thinks the best way for everyone to get over what happened is to follo
AMythicalBeast
Jan 14, 2012 AMythicalBeast rated it liked it
Recommends it for: readers who like threesome romances, short romantic stories
Recommended to AMythicalBeast by: netgalley
It was a short read, but a good one.

The author was determined to explore the idea of three individuals deciding to live together, so that's what she concentrated on.

Hesitation on the part of the girl was given attention, since there is the social stigma to consider, but I was surprised how supportive her boy friend was about the situation; how confidently he guided her into his best friend's arms, because he felt that she would be happier with both of them in her life.

I was just taken aback by t
Jan 14, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: scorching-hot
Provided from Netgalley

Lacey comes home early from her business trip ready to be welcomed home by her boyfriend, Ran. As she slips into the dark quietness of their bedroom, she puts the moves on who she thinks is Ran, only to discover that it’s really Ran’s look alike cousin, Rick. Mortified from the embarrassing encounter, Lacey tries to move on from the incident, only she can’t stop thinking about how good it felt kissing and touching Rick.
Rick has always been attracted to Lacey, and now that
Soo
Jan 16, 2012 Soo rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Quick Fun Read
Novella Provided by NetGalley

The Best Mistake was a fun, quick story to read. It all starts off with a case of mistaken identity and a deliciously enticing scene that’s sadly aborted. Lacey Billings thought that she was making love to her boyfriend, Ran, but to her shock, it’s his cousin Rick. The truth comes out and Ran’s initial amusement to the mistake turns into concern, and develops into a wicked plan that changes all three of their lives.

I liked the easy going, everyday introduction of th
Tabby -  Shattered Hearts Reviews
I expected more from this book.. I know what you are thinking... What kind of way is that to start a review.. Let me explain myself lol.

You know how sometimes, even though we aren't supposed to, we judge books solely on their cover? This is one of those cases. I had this vision in my head of how this story should be and for some reason the vision fell flat. I could blame it on the fact that I have high standards when it comes to "erotica", not just everyone can write that kind of story.

As far a
Aine Massie
Jan 20, 2012 Aine Massie rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, romance
From the very beginning you see a loving man (Ran) who wants nothing more than to be true to the woman he loves (Lacey) and his best friend (Rick) – who happens to also be his first cousin.

Lacey accidently pounces her boyfriends best friend / cousin. While Ran, the bf, is fine with what happened and even finds it a bit amusing, neither of them do. The problem? Rick is secretly in love with Lacey? Lacey feels guilt because she enjoyed and still wants more? . . . Oh yeah! Thankfully Ran has the s
Beate
Jan 16, 2012 Beate rated it it was ok
Shelves: menage, romance
This has to be the most prude menage book I've ever read. Seriously.

When a book is labelled 'erotica' and 'menage', I expect at least some kinky sex. But all we get is this:

Scene 1: Vanilla almost sex with girl on top with guy 1.
Scene 2: Vanilla sex in the hall with guy 2.
Scene 3: Vanilla sex with girl on top with guy 1, then vanilla sex with guy 2.

There are some brief mentions of a shower, and a new bed. And I do mean brief.

Other than that, there is supposed to be a lot of UST between girl and
Lea
Dec 29, 2011 Lea rated it really liked it
I am normally not really into pure erotica, but The Best Mistake promised to be a quick, hot read and I just couldnt resist.

The story is rather simple and the summary says it all.
Lets just say Watterson kept it really simple so the reader wouldnt get too interested in anything else but the sex scenes.
The story is short and thats probably the reason why I had some trouble with the characters. 17.000 words are just not enough to get to know Lacey, Ran, Rick and their personalities. Still, its fun
Pamela Todd
The Best Mistake was a short erotic story that packed a powerful punch.

Coming home after a late flight, Lacey has missed her boyfriend, Ran, and can’t help but want to catch up on lost time. She crawls into bed to show just how much she missed him but soon discovers he isn’t her boyfriend, but his cousin, Rick.

Ran laughed the story off but neither Lacey nor Ran can do the same. All they do is think back and linger on what might have been. Ran doesn’t want to put either relationship at risk so
Ally
Dec 20, 2011 Ally rated it it was amazing
The Best Mistake Book Review
Passionate, loving and just the right size all the makings of a really good man and apparently book too. This out of the Box “fun” triangle shows the interesting dynamic between A man his fiancé and his best friend when they make the best of mistakes. Blood pumping and sizzling hot Ms Watterson creates a contemporary novel with a sexy edge, and dammit she does it well.
Breath stealing and tantalizingly hot, watch this story swell when 3 fantasies come true and stay t
Nichole ~Bookaholic~
This is the first story I have read by Kate Watterson and now I want to read more.

This was a very fun short story. It opens up with Lacey coming home after a week out of town to suprise her boyfriend....she slips into bed only to find out a bit later that it is not her boyfriend. Talk about awkward moment....I have to say I did find this very funny.

The situation did cause a lot of tension even though neither were at fault and I ejoyed reading how they came to terms with this and moved on to a v
Chris
Dec 16, 2011 Chris rated it liked it
When Lacey Billings gives her boyfriend, Ran, an erotic wake-up call in the middle of the night, she's shocked to discover that the gorgeous man she's kissing isn't Ran...it's his cousin, Rick.

Although Ran laughs off the mix-up, Lacey and Rick can't stop thinking about the unexpected encounter, and they can't escape the scorching flashbacks it's aroused.

Ran doesn't want an innocent mistake to ruin his relationship with his girlfriend or his cousin, so he proposes a solution. He wants the three
Luna
Jan 29, 2012 Luna rated it really liked it
So I was tempted into buying this ebook. I was not disappointed at all! My only complaint with this book was that it was too short! I want more! There were also some spelling mistakes here and there, but they didn't distract me from the main plot.

The tension was sexy, the characters were likeable, too. I really liked Rick. I thought he was a cutie. The beginning was perfect in my opinion. It drew me in right away. For a romance novel, this one isn't your run of the mill novel. I liked that it
♥AmandaDarlin♥
Jan 13, 2012 ♥AmandaDarlin♥ rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, erotica
Lacey just returned from a conference and decided to come over to her boyfriend apartment. When she arrived, she showered and climb into the bed. She decided to give her boyfriend a little treat, but the surprise was on her when she found out it was her boyfriend cousin Ran.

If your looking for a short bedtime story this will be a nice story. Kate Watterson is known for writing erotica stories. I enjoyed the plot of this story and charater development. However, I felt this book was a bit rushed
Susan
Feb 20, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
A great short read with exciting twists. An honest mistake turns into an erotic encounter. Well-written, and easy to read. I enjoyed this short story, though I personally am not usually into trios, this one was written in such a way as to make it interesting to a larger audience, including readers like me who are not normally into ménage and such. The story was easy to follow, written well and for an ARC, I found it easy to read. I thought the story idea was well thought out. Nice story for a qu ...more
Jonetta
Feb 10, 2012 Jonetta rated it really liked it
This is a pretty short story that manages to get its point across very effectively. It doesn't take the easy route and jump into the erotic zone before the characters have had a chance to establish themselves, even though it may seem that way in the first few pages. I got who Lacey, Ran and Rick were and when they made the decision to explore their fantasies, it seemed like the most natural thing for them to do.

I like this author and how she tells a story. This is a little book that packs a big
Tala
Feb 10, 2012 Tala rated it liked it
I got this copy from Netgalley.com
By Kate Watterson
Quick but good read. Lacey comes home and thinks to put the moves on her boyfriend only it’s his cousin (who looks a lot like him). The difficult decision to live a ménage lifestyle was handled well. The boyfriend was supportive and wanting her happiness which is necessary in these relationships. That the author addressed Lacey’s apprehension was good to read. I liked that I got all 3 POV’s.
This was my first read by Kat Watters
Ryan
Mar 06, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it
Everyone makes mistakes, But it is not everyone who accidentally gives their boyfriend’s cousin an erotic wake up call. Rick was snoozing in Ryan’s bed when Lacey comes home in the dark and decides to get the action going. Lacey is mortified by her mistake, but her and Dan can’t keep from thinking about it. There is only one sure way to solve this problem, live out the fantasy. This short reads is delicious fun.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Writing as both Emma Wildes and Katherine Smith, Kate Watterson has over thirty published books to her credit, plus five Eppie nominations, one Eppie win for best historical erotic in 2007, a RWA Lories win, WisRWA 2005 final for best historical romance, and is a CAPA nominee. She loves suspense and to write erotic stories in the genre is a special treat.
More about Kate Watterson...