Start by marking “The Oxford Nursery Rhyme Book” as Want to Read:
The Oxford Nursery Rhyme Book

The Oxford Nursery Rhyme Book

The Oxford Nursery Rhyme Book contains 800 nursery rhymes and ditties which are the heritage of our oral tradition. All the well-known rhymes are included as well as many rare ones. Special sections are devoted to lullabies and dandling rhymes, toe rhymes, catches, charms, traditional street cries, riddle verses, nursery maxims, and humorous ballads.
Published December 31st 1964 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about The Oxford Nursery Rhyme Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oxford Nursery Rhyme Book

Allie Monahan
Title: The Oxford Nursery Ryhme Book
Author: Iona Opie, Peter Opie
Genre: Nursery rhyme
Theme(s): Classic nursery rhymes
Opening line/sentence:
Monday’s child is fair of face
Tuesday’s child is full of grace
Brief Book Summary:
This book contains many classic, adored rhymes--over 800 traditionally handed down and loved among many young children. Included are "Yankee Doodle Came to Town" and "A Frog He Would A-Wooing Go" to "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep," Jack and Jill" and "Old Mother Hubbard." The rhyme
Susan Soohoo
Oct 11, 2016 Susan Soohoo rated it liked it
Shelves: nursery-rhymes
My Review:
1. This book had received no awards.
2. This book is suitable for preschoolers and kindergarteners.
3. This book is a collection of over 500 nursery rhymes. It contains many rare rhymes while also containing many well known rhymes as well. There are rhymes in the book are divided into separate categories as well.
4. I enjoy this book because it has an extremely wide selection of rhymes. However, at times, I believe that there may be too many rhymes in one book and I would find it diffic
Adalira Morningstar
I have to admit, I checked this one out for one reason - some nursery rhymes are creepy as hell and they make great inspiration for us hopeful horror writers. Take for instance the people responsible for Dead Space, they've figured this out and it's now why an entire generation of gamers are terrified of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

Also, I was kind of excited the see some rhymes I knew as a kid and compared how they've evolved. Take for instance the classic "here's the church, here's the steepl
Keith
Mar 31, 2011 Keith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
There are, no doubt, many collections of nursery rhymes, and I have to admit this is the only one I've read. Not every rhyme is "amazing" -- in fact, most of them may not be. Many are mundane, but many others have the unexpected playfulness and dark humor of classic nonsense, and those treasures, located throughout this book, make it one of the most pleasurable books I've ever read. Every time I pick it up, I end up sitting down to read it through to the end.

"Here comes the candle to light you
Robin
Feb 05, 2014 Robin rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Did I read every single rhyme in this volume? NO. But I read enough to see all sorts of variations on traditional rhymes that we've all known for years and they are quirky and odd, not surprisingly.
Mrs Bond
Mar 12, 2009 Mrs Bond rated it really liked it
Shelves: folklore, poetry
Thorough collection of nursery rhymes (800 according to the Preface). Woodcut illustrations scattered throughout. Index to first lines.
Les Wilson
Jan 21, 2015 Les Wilson rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
First read this book when I bought a copy in 1955, and still find it an interesting and informative read.
Meredith
Jul 12, 2009 Meredith rated it really liked it
the social history revealed by these simple childrens' rhymes always makes my head spin. Some are so brutal!
Moriah Howard
Jan 26, 2016 Moriah Howard rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
Great book full of nursery rhymes! A nice book for poetry and rhyme ideas.
Susan
Aug 19, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
Very interesting some I remembered if only in part others only heard of & some not at all.
Very well compiled.
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2008
Mrs. Bond
Mrs. Bond rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2011
Jeff Peterson
Jeff Peterson rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2007
MrsMalone_emmie
MrsMalone_emmie rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2011
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Irum Zara
Irum Zara rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2013
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Marica
Marica rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2007
Chandrakant
Chandrakant rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2017
Sofie
Sofie rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Bhakti
Bhakti rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2012
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Antoine
Antoine rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2008
Ekaiserattoe
Ekaiserattoe rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2011
Bethany North
Bethany North rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Antonio Gallo
Antonio Gallo rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2017
Joel
Joel rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2012
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2013
Di
Di rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2010
Iona Archibald Opie is a folklorist of children's literature and verse.
More about Iona Opie...