Start by marking “Ripe: A Fresh, Colorful Approach to Fruits and Vegetables” as Want to Read:
Ripe: A Fresh, Colorful Approach to Fruits and Vegetables

Ripe: A Fresh, Colorful Approach to Fruits and Vegetables

Eat fruits and vegetables not because you’re told you should, but because you want them in every sense of the word. Because they are beautiful. And satisfying. And you desire their freshness, flavor, and simplicity. That’s why Ripe is arranged by color, not season. Author and food writer Cheryl Sternman Rule, who is also the voice behind the popular blog 5 Second Rule, and ...more
Published March 27th 2012 by Running Press

To ask other readers questions about Ripe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ripe

Julie
Apr 22, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
My son the vegetarian arrived unexpectedly earlier this week. Thankfully, this book had caught my eye at the Library & was sitting on my coffee table. My trusty team mate & I set to work at once. We have made the following:
1. Radicchio Salad with Tahini Lemon Drizzle: deliciously different!
2. Wine-Braised Artichokes with Feta and Orecchiette: verdict ranges from very good to delicious! We cheated & bought artichoke hearts in a jar to save on prep. time.
3. Fried Sage and Chestnut Bru
Grady McCallie
Jan 23, 2013 Grady McCallie rated it really liked it
The flavor text is annoying, but the photographs are beautiful, and the recipes I've tried so far (about eight, more or less randomly) are excellent - really tasty. The book is arranged by color of fruits and vegetables, with one recipe per item. The instructions are clear, the combinations of ingredients clever, and the preparation times short. Just ignore the breezy and occasionally incoherent introductions.
Angela
Oct 07, 2015 Angela rated it liked it
Embarrassingly, I found myself chuckling aloud as I read this cookbook. While I didn't find its recipes particularly engaging (too many out-of-season, not-available-in-the-Midwest kind of moments), Rule's prose as she introduced each ingredient is fantastic and funny. I also appreciated the tips on cutting, storing and preparing ingredients when there was a tip to be had.
Diana Bogan
Jul 21, 2013 Diana Bogan rated it liked it
Shelves: book-pantry
I found this book browsing through the library stacks. It was the brilliant color photographs that drew me in. I'm not a fan of cooking and I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to knowing how to shop for produce, prep that produce and figure out what to do with those fruits and vegetables. So for me, this book was pretty wonderful. That said, some aspects of the book I loved more than others.

I appreciate the author's willingness to share some personal thoughts and her sense of humor when talking a
Megan
Feb 05, 2015 Megan rated it it was ok
The recipes weren't very exciting to me. A lot of the vegetables and fruits featured are not ones that exist in my garden in Wisconsin.

But, I loved her witty writing style. She definitely gets my award for the most entertaining cookbook I've read. The best parts of the book are the little intros she writes for each vegetable. I laughed out loud while reading many of them. She summed up my relationship with green peppers perfectly:

"If a green bell pepper rang my doorbell, I might look through the
Christine
Oct 03, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it
This I believe should've been five stars. The writing is brilliant and witty. For a cook book and homage to produce its extremely engaging and pulls you in. The color scheme, layout and pictures are breath taking. I want to pull the food from the pages and feast. I will definitely be trying some new produce soon and prep work. Where I believe the author did an injustice to herself was the availability of ingredients in a lot of these recipes. Garam masala, mascapone, dried currants... etc. Stuff ...more
Wendy
May 05, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, cookbooks
I am in love with this book! I will probably buy my own copy, I love it so much (which is saying something, coming from a librarian). Fruits and vegetables, organized by color, with some quick fixes and full recipes. But it's really more about the fruit/veggies than the cooking. The photos are gorgeous, the commentary is funny, and I learned lots (you just eat the WHOLE kumquat? Really?)

If you like food, you should read this book. If you appreciate photography, you should read this book. If you
Jenny
Jun 21, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it
The photographs were enough to entice me to bring this book home from the library to look at. They were also enough to get my teenage daughter to go through the book and make a list of 26 recipes that she thinks we should try. This is pretty good for a girl who is allergic to mangos and papayas and won't eat anything with nuts in it.

Her list contains a selection of recipes that use ingredients that are taking over my garden like the Tarragon Lime Green Tea or were in this week's CSA share like
Rachel
Jul 17, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This was a gorgeous and mouth-watering photographed cookbook, which featured a different and color-coordinated approach to fruits and vegetables. I found it helpful because it not only gave tips on how to cook the fruits and veg in simple directions at the beginning of each section, as well as tips on how to prepare them, and also gave a full recipe for each. Some of my favorite recipes included Kumquat Arugula Salad with Currant-Walnut Vinaigrette, Apricot Frangipane Galette, Cardamon Baked Plu ...more
Kathleen Valentine
May 28, 2016 Kathleen Valentine rated it it was amazing
This book is a yummy treat! The photography is beautiful, the narrative is witty and sometimes laugh-out-loud funny, and the recipes tempting. What I loved the most about it was that, while there are plenty of complex recipes that would delight a serious cook's heart, there are also a few serving suggestions for each fruit or vegetable, that are very simple. I loved this because there are some fruits that are, in my opinion, too delicious to over-prepare. Suggestions for serving with a splash of ...more
Pat
May 03, 2012 Pat rated it really liked it
Shelves: sthustinanths
Beautiful photos and I love how the fruits and vegetables are sectioned by colors. Lots of new and tasty ideas. All of them let the chosen fruit or veggie shine, but several of them also contain cream, cheese, butter, and sugar as ingredients. Don't get me wrong, I love all of those things, and eat my fair share of those things, but though it may be a fresh approach, it’s not completely a healthy approach to cooking if that's what you are looking for. There are a small amount of recipes that wou ...more
Cheryl
Nov 19, 2016 Cheryl rated it it was ok
Better if you have access to a good farmer's market or at least fancy produce department and plenty of money. Yes, there's broccoli and yellow onions, but it's the kind of recipe book that starts with Kosher salt and capers and gets more exotic from there. Not a bad book, but get it from your library, and don't have unrealistic hopes. I just wasn't able to get much out of it.

Personally, whenever I manage to find a peach or an avocado that's actually Ripe, I don't want to detract from it with any
Bria
Jun 27, 2013 Bria rated it it was ok
Thought I'd love this but really didn't. Glad I got it from the library and didn't buy it.

Don't get me wrong - it is beautiful - photography is fantastic and it's colo(u)rfully appropriate for the week before Pride weekend :), but, the recipes were uninspiring so - I'm not sure what one is really supposed to do with this book. Coffee table gazing on well photographed fruit and veggies then made into dishes?
Susie
May 08, 2012 Susie rated it liked it
This book is visually appealing. It's beautiful and I love that it divided food by their colors and covered many lesser known/used fruits and vegetables. It's draw back is that it offers only one recipe for each item (a good recipe, but sadly only one). While I enjoyed looking through it and reading about each fruit/veggie, it's (lack of)usefullness as far as what to do with each one will mean I won't be buying this one.
Christine
Oct 25, 2012 Christine rated it it was amazing
I really love this cookbook. If you want to fall - or refall - in love with fruits and vegetables, please read this! The pictures are sumptuous and the recipes and tips are simple but deeply delicious. The author's writing is adorable and funny, too, which adds to the book's charm. So highly recommended!
Heather Chase
Apr 27, 2012 Heather Chase rated it it was amazing
I only just received this book a few days ago and already I have tried 4 recipes...all were VERY good and delicious! I love how the book is divided into colors to correspond with the fruits and vegetables. I highly recommend and the recipes are easy to follow and make.

Cheers,
Heather Chase
www.theculinarychase.com
Miriam
Jul 20, 2012 Miriam rated it it was amazing
This book is SO beautifully done. Poignant pictures. Witty writing. And all about my favorite topic - food. A friend suggested this book when she heard about my own color-themed cooking project. It's ironic that I started this project long before the book was published. If you liked RIPE, check out my blog for "color-cooking" in live action: foodrainbowyear.blogspot.com/
Jessica
Sep 03, 2013 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I actually got this by accident from the library when trying to get Nigel Slater's book of the same name but it turned out to be a pleasant surprise. It's a nice gift book although I don't think I'd own it. I did, however, copy a few recipes out of it including Eggplant Romanesco which is amazing. The photos are lovely and the memoir-sih produce write-ups are nice. Worth a look.
Alison James
Jun 30, 2013 Alison James rated it really liked it
Delicious recipes for (especially in-season) fresh fruit and vegetable recipes. Makes them the star of the dishes. I only wish there were more recipes per fruit/veggie - only one complete recipe and a few that listed general ingredients left me wanting more.
Carrie
Jan 07, 2014 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Foods arranged by color. A lovely assortment of the best fruits and veggies in all colors of the rainbow; makes it easy to find the foods you need to eat more of. Beautiful photographs. Easy - and tasty - recipes.
Kipahni
Pictures are awesome! She is very witty and has great tips for slicing and dicing the various produce. The only 'meh' part is for each fruit/veggie she gives 3 ideas for cooking and 1 full recipe. I wish the ideas had more instructions or a reference in the back with the recipe.
Delphine Durst
Jul 07, 2012 Delphine Durst rated it it was amazing
Yum, yum, yum!!! Beautiful photos, awesome recipes! If you don't know what to do with your fruits and vegetables, check out this wonderful book! Watermelon slushie is so good, perfect for our hot summer days here in the south :)
Erin
Jul 24, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
4 stars for the gorgeous visual love letter to food. Minus 1 star for taking all these great fruits and veggies and showing me a bunch of unhealthy ways to eat them. Butter, sugar, cheese, cream; those would make anything taste good!
N.L. Riviezzo
Odd setup with 4 suggestions then a recipe for each item. Most recipes are classically French or inspired by such. Would have been a better book if there had been recipes for each suggestions as some sounded tastier than the recipes provided.
Marianna
Jun 01, 2012 Marianna rated it really liked it
Beautiful! Love the format.
Bonnie Rand
Jul 12, 2012 Bonnie Rand rated it did not like it
Pretty pictures but only one recipe per fruit/vegetable. Seeing the reviews, I think of the"Emporer's New Clothes"
Nancy S
May 18, 2012 Nancy S rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, cooking, 2012
The photography in this book is amazing!!!
Teresa
Feb 01, 2016 Teresa rated it it was amazing
beautiful photos and simple clean easy recipes
Joanne
Feb 18, 2016 Joanne rated it it was ok
Beautiful photographs in color categories with a recipe for each, which results in not too many recipes. None of the recipes enticed me into trying them, even though they were pretty to look at.
Bree
Jul 30, 2012 Bree rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Notes:
prettiest cookbook ever
lots of good ideas
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Heart of the Plate: Vegetarian Recipes for a New Generation
  • Herbivoracious: A Flavor Revolution with 150 Vibrant and Original Vegetarian Recipes
  • Grow Cook Eat: A Food Lover's Guide to Vegetable Gardening, Including 50 Recipes, Plus Harvesting and Storage Tips
  • Martha's American Food: A Celebration of Our Nation's Most Treasured Dishes, from Coast to Coast
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • La Tartine Gourmande: Gluten-Free Recipes for an Inspired Life
  • True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure
  • Sheet Pan Suppers: 120 Recipes for Simple, Surprising, Hands-Off Meals Straight from the Oven
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • Seasonal Fruit Desserts: From Orchard, Farm, and Market
  • The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods
  • Asian Tofu: Discover the Best, Make Your Own, and Cook It at Home
  • Eat Your Vegetables: Bold Recipes for the Single Cook
  • America's Test Kitchen Quick Family Cookbook
  • Saving the Season: A Cook's Guide to Home Canning, Pickling, and Preserving
  • The French Market Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes from My Parisian Kitchen
  • Cook without a Book: Meatless Meals: Recipes and Techniques for Part-Time and Full-Time Vegetarians
  • The Longevity Kitchen: Satisfying, Big-Flavor Recipes Featuring the Top 16 Age-Busting Power Foods
1192999
Cheryl Sternman Rule has been writing professionally for newspapers, magazines, and websites since 2004. She is the voice behind the award-winning food blog 5 Second Rule (http://5secondrule.typepad.com), which has been online since 2008 and enjoys an enthusiastic following.

Cheryl has written two cookbooks. Ripe: A Fresh, Colorful Approach to Fruits and Vegetables was published by Running Press in
More about Cheryl Sternman Rule...