Start by marking “Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round” as Want to Read:
Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round

Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  1,814 Ratings  ·  135 Reviews
Popular food blogger Marisa McClellan takes you through all manner of food in jars, storing away the tastes of all seasons for later. Basics like jams and jellies are accompanied by pickles, chutneys, conserves, whole fruit, tomato sauces, salsas, marmalades, nut butters, seasonings, and more. Small batches make them easy projects for a canning novice to tackle, and the fl ...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by Running Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Food in Jars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food in Jars

The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb PerelmanBaked Elements by Matt  LewisThe Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree DrummondHome Baked Comfort (Williams-Sonoma) by Kim LaidlawVintage Cakes by Julie Richardson
Best Cookbooks of 2012
6th out of 15 books — 23 voters
The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving by Ellie ToppThe Art of Fermentation by Sandor Ellix KatzThe Art of Preserving by Rick FieldThe Joy of Pickling by Linda ZiedrichHomemade Condiments by Jessica Harlan
Essential Preserving Books
18th out of 20 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Jul 10, 2013 Shelby *trains flying monkeys* rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, read-2013
I borrowed this book from the library and it's so good that I want my own copy. I made her gingery pickled beets, blackberry sage jam and dilly beans. Everything I tried was really good.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
May 25, 2014 Jenny (Reading Envy) rated it it was amazing
If Marisa McClellan wanted to consider another profession, I think she would take easily to perfumer. Her flavor combination ideas just in this book alone make me want to try every recipe and stock my pantry with little batches of goodness.

The recipes catching my eye the first time through:
-Vanilla-Rhubarb Jam with Earl Grey
-Chunky Fig Jam
-Apple Pumpkin Butter
-Orange Vanilla Curd

You get the idea. I've had some of these recipes marked for a year and finally had a chance to make the Vanilla-Rhubar
Dixie Diamond
This is probably a five-star for most people. I borrowed it from the library to preview as a possible gift for a friend. It's not really what I wanted for her, although I might consider getting a copy for myself.

After reading the Amazon reviews I feel like I need to add: Ms. McClellan specifies--I swear I read this in the book--that yields will vary considerably depending on the moisture in the fruit. If it was a dry year, the fruit will be less juicy and the jam yield less. The biggest complain
Joanna
Dec 27, 2012 Joanna rated it it was amazing
This has some good recipes and some good information about home canning. I like that the recipes are designed to make three or four jars of each thing rather than ten or twelve. I also like that some of the recipes are for things that aren't really canned (e.g., apple pumpkin butter, which doesn't work for home canning, but she reports keeps well in the freezer).

I made the spiced applesauce already and am planning to turn part of the applesauce into apple pumpkin butter. Yum!

I'm looking forward
Chris
Nov 03, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
This book kicked my ongoing obsession with canning into high gear this summer - nearly every weekend (and sometimes after work), I'd be in the kitchen putting a bunch of something into jars. Marisa McClellan's lovely little book gave me some terrific recipes and new information, which surprised me, since I've been canning for a few decades now. Friends that are new to canning found it clear and easy to follow, too, so it's very accessible.

The book is a great companion to her blog of the same nam
Sameera77
Jul 26, 2016 Sameera77 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
A splendid collection of a great variety of recipes.
At present people do not usually have time or need to preserve food for winter, with the exception of those who still have gardens yielding crops of fruit and vegetables. Not to mention those strange individuals who simply enjoy making their own preserves instead of just buying ready-made ones without wasting time and effort. As for myself, I have a small, admittedly a little bit unkempt, garden with yearly crops of cherries, peaches, apricots
Jeslyn
Aug 15, 2014 Jeslyn rated it really liked it
This summer I decided to learn canning, and have drawn on several books and the expertise of friends for coaching. Since I am single and live in a small apartment, I knew I wouldn't be canning 40 quarts of peaches on a Saturday; however, there are lots of small-batch canning cookbooks on the market so I forged ahead.

I'd heard about Food in Jars from several terrific cooking blogs, and I've really enjoyed this cookbook. I read it like a novel, rather than just skipping around from one recipe to
PennsyLady (Bev)
Feb 01, 2016 PennsyLady (Bev) rated it liked it
Food In Jars Preserving In Small Batches Year Round (Marisa McClellan)

I don't know what I was hoping for...perhaps a totally new idea....it was the year round that piqued my interest and it was internet order...so I didn't look at the book first.
Lots of jam and butter combos that I would not have thought to put together...
Basic preserving talk.....
Things like peaches in bourbon..(I prefer mine plain), granola, pancake mix etc
I'll reserve judgment until I peruse further.
Susan
Jun 25, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, cookbooks
This is an outstanding cookbook. McClellan's blog of the same name is wonderful, and many of the recipes here are from the blog. Her emphasis on small -batch canning makes this a great starter canning book, and the range of the recipes makes it a great advanced canning book. I expected to enjoy the recipes, and I do. But I was surprised by the physical beauty of the book. It is gorgeously photographed and very well designed. An excellent addition to the kitchen.
Rachel
Sep 05, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
This book is a contemporary take on preserving.

I find that a lot of people are afraid to tackle canning because sometimes the recipes make huge batches and it requires specialized equipment and complicated recipes.

This book walks new canners through the process with helpful step by step instructions and beautiful photos. The recipes are updated so that you don't feel like your making recipes from the 1970's. I can see myself making many of the recipes.

My favorite part about this book is how th
Melissa
Feb 09, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: foodie
full disclosure, Marisa is a friend. Before she was a friend, however, she was who I turned to for canning advice. She is still who I turn to for canning advice. I have a copy of this book and bought a copy for my SIL when she expressed interest in canning after helping me with a batch of salsa.

Marisa's science is good, her ideas and flavor combinations are fresh, and she gives lots of good ideas for using your preserved pantry once you have it.
Grace Sobieralski
Oct 28, 2014 Grace Sobieralski rated it really liked it
Marisa McClellan’s book, Food in Jars, is a wonderful book for anyone who is interested in canning and preserving. Both non-experience and experienced a like will take something away from the book. I know that I have. The instructions are clear and to the point. Which for any beginner, like myself, can appreciate. I am so pleased with how each recipe’s accuracy and consistency is spot on, and even when it isn’t McClellan gives you a basis to make it so.

Not only does it give super easy directions
Kimberly Ann
Feb 14, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it liked it
This book includes: Jams, Fruit Butters, Jellies, Marmalades, Curds & Conserves, Chutneys & Condiments, Pickles, Salsas & Relishes, Tomatoes, Syrups, Whole Fruit, Granols in Jars (?), Nut Butters, Other Foods in Jars.....

Ok: so I didn't know that aside from fresh Maple Syrup, one could/would make syrups or for that matter "Granola in Jars".

The "Other Foods in Jars" consisted of: pancake mix, beer bread mix (Really?), chocolate cake in a jar (again, Really?), trio of flavored salts,
Fernleaf
A fantastic small-batch preserving book, filled with water-bath safe canning recipes as well as a few dry goods recipes. So many of these sound delicious and the ones that I've tried have all been great so far. A few discrepancies as far as ingredients/yield but from my experience that's just the way it works with canning recipes. Includes sweet and savory recipes for everything from jams and jellies to pickles. In comparison to some of the other canning books I have this one is chock-full of re ...more
Caroline
Sep 24, 2013 Caroline rated it it was amazing
And now my shelves are bursting with mason jars as well as books. Satisfying both body and soul here.
Amy
Oct 09, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok
More work than I'm willing to do.
Ryn
Oct 03, 2012 Ryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-and-cooking
An inspiration.
Gwen
May 24, 2016 Gwen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
AKA, my trusty handbook for figuring how not to kill myself (and others) when canning…

While a number of these recipes are easily available online, the photography alone justifies the physical book, and she includes an excellent section on the basics of canning, as well as many new, intriguing recipes that aren’t your usual strawberry jams + dill pickles.

The essentials for canning:
- A pot to cook food in before canning (bigger than you’d think, to prevent contents from bubbling over)
- A small p
Rachel B
Aug 15, 2016 Rachel B rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Some of the recipes in this book look truly delicious and the photos are inspiring me to put up lots of food - even though I've never canned anything in my life.

I do wish there was a photo of each finished product. There are a few, but many of the photos aren't labeled, so you don't even know which item you're looking at, and there are also a couple "artistic" photos of things like canning lids, which I find unnecessary.

My other beef is with the editor - there are a few recipes that refer the r
Alyssa
Jul 29, 2015 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: worth-buying
This book is great if you want to can, but feel overwhelmed, don't know where to start, or find recipes in standard canning guides old fashioned.

This book gives a great walkthrough of canning, and had lots of great recipes that are in small-ish batches. They make me feel excited and inspired instead of bored and overwhelmed. This book shows you that anyone can can, not just the homesteaders with all the time and home-grown produce in the world.
I will definitely be buying this book.

I still do
Alexandra
Jul 14, 2014 Alexandra rated it really liked it
I bought this book based on the amount of success I had with canning recipes posted on the author's blog. Thus far, I've quite enjoyed the recipes she offers here and have further explored preserving foods with seasonal produce. This will certainly be handy to have through harvest season. Also, I like that she included some non-tradional, non-canning recipes towards the end, esp. for rosemary and cultured butter.
Thagomizer
Feb 03, 2015 Thagomizer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
This is my favorite canning book. As a someone who lives in a small apartment without a large family I appreciate that the recipes only make a few jars. I like the mix of classics with more modern flavors. I only use the pickle and chutney recipes (I'm very picky about my jams and jellies) but I've still made more things from this cookbook than any other cookbook I own.
Sara W.
May 07, 2016 Sara W. rated it it was amazing
This is an explicit book of food. We know about preserving foods in a jar and yet we don’t usually do it. Instead we buy some preservative foods and some instant processed food that may cause and lead us to sickness. Now, it’s our time to get back on track. We must be careful enough to the foods we take. Thanks for this book.
Lara
Dec 27, 2015 Lara rated it really liked it
Beautiful book, and lots of really great recipes for preserving lots of different things. Most of the recipes make like four jars worth, which is great, and I feel like this book might be worth it for the pickles and chutneys alone. I'm not terribly interested in making jam, but even some of those sound pretty amazing!
Noema
Jun 05, 2015 Noema rated it really liked it
Every recipe I have made out of this book has come out great. I am a total small batch convert now: my 6-quart soup pot fits about four half-pint jars, and it doesn't take nearly as long to come to a boil. Sure, that means I have to do three times the work, but I get three times the variety, so that's an acceptable trade-off.
Nicole
Jul 22, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book! This book came to me as a present from my mom last year. Looking to do some canning this week (the strawberries right now are SO GOOD) so I pulled this gem off the cookbook shelf. Even if you're not a canner, it is absolutely gorgeous and fun to read.
Katie
Sep 12, 2014 Katie rated it liked it
Some interesting flavor combinations that sounded delicious. They are smaller batches which would suit you if you enjoy preserving foods for personal use or gifts. The author seems to genuinely enjoy canning and devising her own recipes. I read it more for ideas and do not actually test any of the recipes so I can't vouch for them one way or another.

I enjoyed the book.
Shari Henry
Nov 10, 2013 Shari Henry rated it really liked it
The book's subtitle, Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round, intrigued me. We tend to think of canning as a late summer activity, yet there are many ways to harness nature's goodies throughout the year. Two weeks before Thanksgiving and I find myself canning cranberries. In January, I'll move to orange marmalade; a bit later, pickled asparagus. Her instructions are complete (though do check her blog for errata), the pictures are lovely.

The author's blog by the same title is worth following as w
Hannah
May 18, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Love this book! I refer to it constantly for inspiration. McClellan has some really great recipes, and some have become classics in my house. I preserve every summer, and I would recommend this book to anyone getting into canning.
Nancy
Mar 31, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Got this from the library. Thinking of not returning it!!! But that wouldn't be nice. I want to Cook All The Things!!!! Added it to my amazon wish list. I must get a copy. As a bonus, most of the recipe are small batches, which are good for our little family.
  • Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling
  • Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry
  • Tart and Sweet: 101 Canning and Pickling Recipes for the Modern Kitchen
  • The Joy of Pickling: 300 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • Saving the Season: A Cook's Guide to Home Canning, Pickling, and Preserving
  • Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More
  • Urban Pantry: Tips and Recipes for a Thrifty, Sustainable and Seasonal Kitchen
  • Ancient Grains for Modern Meals: Mediterranean Whole Grain Recipes for Barley, Farro, Kamut, Polenta, Wheat Berries & More
  • Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods
  • The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Delicious Recipes to Use Year-Round
  • The America's Test Kitchen: DIY Cookbook: Can It, Cure It, Churn It, Brew It
  • Real Snacks: Make Your Favorite Childhood Treats Without All the Junk
  • The Preservation Kitchen: The Craft of Making and Cooking with Pickles, Preserves, and Aigre-doux
  • Chicken and Egg: A Memoir of Suburban Homesteading with 125 Recipes
  • Ball Blue Book of Preserving
  • Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving
Marisa McClellan is a food blogger, freelance writer and canning teacher based in Center City Philadelphia. She runs a website called Food in Jars, where she writes about canning, preserving and delicious things made from scratch.

She regularly writes for the Food Network, Mrs. Wages, Grid Philly and Table Matters. Her first cookbook, Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round, is now av
More about Marisa McClellan...