Start by marking “Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round” as Want to Read:
Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round

Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,317 ratings  ·  120 reviews
Popular food blogger Marisa McClellan takes you through all manner of food in jars, storing away the tastes of all seasons for later. Basics like jams and jellies are accompanied by pickles, chutneys, conserves, whole fruit, tomato sauces, salsas, marmalades, nut butters, seasonings, and more. Small batches make them easy projects for a canning novice to tackle, and the fl ...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by Running Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Food in Jars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food in Jars

Bernadette
I loved, loved, LOVED this book.

So much so that after I checked it out of the library (and renewed it the requisite 3 times), I put it in my Amazon cart and promptly bought it.

Not only does it have super easy to follow directions on canning nd trouble shooting, but it also has some really unique takes on canning recipes. From unique foods to pickle and can to different takes on stuff we already long ago knew we could can. I LOVE THIS BOOK.

I also love that you can see, at a quick glance, how diff
Jenny (Reading Envy)
If Marisa McClellan wanted to consider another profession, I think she would take easily to perfumer. Her flavor combination ideas just in this book alone make me want to try every recipe and stock my pantry with little batches of goodness.

The recipes catching my eye the first time through:
-Vanilla-Rhubarb Jam with Earl Grey
-Chunky Fig Jam
-Apple Pumpkin Butter
-Orange Vanilla Curd

You get the idea. I've had some of these recipes marked for a year and finally had a chance to make the Vanilla-Rhubar
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
I borrowed this book from the library and it's so good that I want my own copy. I made her gingery pickled beets, blackberry sage jam and dilly beans. Everything I tried was really good.
Dixie Diamond
This is probably a five-star for most people. I borrowed it from the library to preview as a possible gift for a friend. It's not really what I wanted for her, although I might consider getting a copy for myself.

After reading the Amazon reviews I feel like I need to add: Ms. McClellan specifies--I swear I read this in the book--that yields will vary considerably depending on the moisture in the fruit. If it was a dry year, the fruit will be less juicy and the jam yield less. The biggest complain
Joanna
This has some good recipes and some good information about home canning. I like that the recipes are designed to make three or four jars of each thing rather than ten or twelve. I also like that some of the recipes are for things that aren't really canned (e.g., apple pumpkin butter, which doesn't work for home canning, but she reports keeps well in the freezer).

I made the spiced applesauce already and am planning to turn part of the applesauce into apple pumpkin butter. Yum!

I'm looking forward
Chris
This book kicked my ongoing obsession with canning into high gear this summer - nearly every weekend (and sometimes after work), I'd be in the kitchen putting a bunch of something into jars. Marisa McClellan's lovely little book gave me some terrific recipes and new information, which surprised me, since I've been canning for a few decades now. Friends that are new to canning found it clear and easy to follow, too, so it's very accessible.

The book is a great companion to her blog of the same nam
farmwifetwo
I bought this a while ago, mostly for proper canning instructions. My things 50/50 pass/fail because nobody has ever had decent instructions. This one does.

So I made the sour cherry jam today. It's raining and in the low 20's/70's (the 30/90 stuff returns in a few days) so cooking inside was possible.

One problem. It does not make 4, 500 ml jars. I think she wanted 4, 250 ml jars. Either way, my jar and 1/2 is now in the fridge.

See... I bought brie a few days ago and a baguette this morning. Brie
Library-KAT
This book includes: Jams, Fruit Butters, Jellies, Marmalades, Curds & Conserves, Chutneys & Condiments, Pickles, Salsas & Relishes, Tomatoes, Syrups, Whole Fruit, Granols in Jars (?), Nut Butters, Other Foods in Jars.....

Ok: so I didn't know that aside from fresh Maple Syrup, one could/would make syrups or for that matter "Granola in Jars".

The "Other Foods in Jars" consisted of: pancake mix, beer bread mix (Really?), chocolate cake in a jar (again, Really?), trio of flavored salts,
Jeslyn
This summer I decided to learn canning, and have drawn on several books and the expertise of friends for coaching. Since I am single and live in a small apartment, I knew I wouldn't be canning 40 quarts of peaches on a Saturday; however, there are lots of small-batch canning cookbooks on the market so I forged ahead.

I'd heard about Food in Jars from several terrific cooking blogs, and I've really enjoyed this cookbook. I read it like a novel, rather than just skipping around from one recipe to
Susan
This is an outstanding cookbook. McClellan's blog of the same name is wonderful, and many of the recipes here are from the blog. Her emphasis on small -batch canning makes this a great starter canning book, and the range of the recipes makes it a great advanced canning book. I expected to enjoy the recipes, and I do. But I was surprised by the physical beauty of the book. It is gorgeously photographed and very well designed. An excellent addition to the kitchen.
Melissa
full disclosure, Marisa is a friend. Before she was a friend, however, she was who I turned to for canning advice. She is still who I turn to for canning advice. I have a copy of this book and bought a copy for my SIL when she expressed interest in canning after helping me with a batch of salsa.

Marisa's science is good, her ideas and flavor combinations are fresh, and she gives lots of good ideas for using your preserved pantry once you have it.
Grace Sobieralski
Marisa McClellan’s book, Food in Jars, is a wonderful book for anyone who is interested in canning and preserving. Both non-experience and experienced a like will take something away from the book. I know that I have. The instructions are clear and to the point. Which for any beginner, like myself, can appreciate. I am so pleased with how each recipe’s accuracy and consistency is spot on, and even when it isn’t McClellan gives you a basis to make it so.

Not only does it give super easy directions
Caroline
And now my shelves are bursting with mason jars as well as books. Satisfying both body and soul here.
Amy
More work than I'm willing to do.
Ryn
An inspiration.
Alyssa
This book is great if you want to can, but feel overwhelmed, don't know where to start, or find recipes in standard canning guides old fashioned.

This book gives a great walkthrough of canning, and had lots of great recipes that are in small-ish batches. They make me feel excited and inspired instead of bored and overwhelmed. This book shows you that anyone can can, not just the homesteaders with all the time and home-grown produce in the world.
I will definitely be buying this book.

I still do
Alexandra
I bought this book based on the amount of success I had with canning recipes posted on the author's blog. Thus far, I've quite enjoyed the recipes she offers here and have further explored preserving foods with seasonal produce. This will certainly be handy to have through harvest season. Also, I like that she included some non-tradional, non-canning recipes towards the end, esp. for rosemary and cultured butter.
Susan Carpenter
I found this book really misleading: additional ingredients are found in the directions; some ingredients are not mentioned at all; or 'add 3 and divide evenly among 4 jars'; and the size of canning jars (pint) were the same throughout not the size needed for recipe (just look at the cover!).

Having experience canning, I'll soon find out if the recipes and frustration were worth it.
Thagomizer
This is my favorite canning book. As a someone who lives in a small apartment without a large family I appreciate that the recipes only make a few jars. I like the mix of classics with more modern flavors. I only use the pickle and chutney recipes (I'm very picky about my jams and jellies) but I've still made more things from this cookbook than any other cookbook I own.
Noema
Every recipe I have made out of this book has come out great. I am a total small batch convert now: my 6-quart soup pot fits about four half-pint jars, and it doesn't take nearly as long to come to a boil. Sure, that means I have to do three times the work, but I get three times the variety, so that's an acceptable trade-off.
Nicole
What a beautiful book! This book came to me as a present from my mom last year. Looking to do some canning this week (the strawberries right now are SO GOOD) so I pulled this gem off the cookbook shelf. Even if you're not a canner, it is absolutely gorgeous and fun to read.
Katie
Some interesting flavor combinations that sounded delicious. They are smaller batches which would suit you if you enjoy preserving foods for personal use or gifts. The author seems to genuinely enjoy canning and devising her own recipes. I read it more for ideas and do not actually test any of the recipes so I can't vouch for them one way or another.

I enjoyed the book.
Shari Henry
The book's subtitle, Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round, intrigued me. We tend to think of canning as a late summer activity, yet there are many ways to harness nature's goodies throughout the year. Two weeks before Thanksgiving and I find myself canning cranberries. In January, I'll move to orange marmalade; a bit later, pickled asparagus. Her instructions are complete (though do check her blog for errata), the pictures are lovely.

The author's blog by the same title is worth following as w
Hannah
Love this book! I refer to it constantly for inspiration. McClellan has some really great recipes, and some have become classics in my house. I preserve every summer, and I would recommend this book to anyone getting into canning.
Nancy
Got this from the library. Thinking of not returning it!!! But that wouldn't be nice. I want to Cook All The Things!!!! Added it to my amazon wish list. I must get a copy. As a bonus, most of the recipe are small batches, which are good for our little family.
Kelly Free
Unique jams with delightful flavors. Tried 10 different recipes and loved them all from this book. A must have for anyone who likes canning & trying new flavors not found commercially. Delicious!
Kim Tough
This is a must have for the modern canner. Small batches are perfect for a busy urban life. Instructions are clear and I'm so pleased with the accuracy and consistency. You'll love this book.
Melanie
With the encouragement of this cookbook, I canned Honey Lemon Apple Jam and the Small-Batch Mixed Stone Fruit Jam (I used 3 large peaches and a plum); both have significantly increased my 2-year-old's toast- and waffle-eating zeal. And for that reason alone this book made me very happy.

The small-batch sizes are welcoming, as I (and now my toddler) am the sole jam-eater of my family. There are plenty of classic jams, jellies, and pickles to choose from, as well as unique ones--Cantaloupe Jam wit
Rachel
Loved everything I've made from this so far, and will make it again! Definitely going to buy a copy, not just keep sticky-ing up the library's.
Dec 14, 2014 Sarah added it
This is a nice book on preserving that I think is more accessible than a lot of them out there. And the book design is lovely.
  • Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling
  • Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry
  • The Joy of Pickling - Revised: 250 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • Saving the Season: A Cook's Guide to Home Canning, Pickling, and Preserving
  • Urban Pantry: Tips and Recipes for a Thrifty, Sustainable and Seasonal Kitchen
  • Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More
  • Tart and Sweet: 101 Canning and Pickling Recipes for the Modern Kitchen
  • Ball Blue Book of Preserving
  • The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • The America's Test Kitchen: DIY Cookbook: Can It, Cure It, Churn It, Brew It
  • Putting Food By
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Delicious Recipes to Use Year-Round
  • The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making
  • Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods
  • The Nourished Kitchen: Farm-to-Table Recipes for the Traditional Foods Lifestyle Featuring Bone Broths, Fermented Vegetables, Grass-Fed Meats, Wholesome Fats, Raw Dairy, and Kombuchas
Marisa McClellan is a food blogger, freelance writer and canning teacher based in Center City Philadelphia. She runs a website called Food in Jars, where she writes about canning, preserving and delicious things made from scratch.

She regularly writes for the Food Network, Mrs. Wages, Grid Philly and Table Matters. Her first cookbook, Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round, is now av
More about Marisa McClellan...
Preserving by the Pint: Quick Seasonal Canning for Small Spaces Canning with Natural Sweeteners: 100 Preserves Made with Coconut, Maple, Honey, and More