Ballet Beautiful: Transform Your Body and Gain the Strength, Grace, and Focus of a Ballet Dancer

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Ballet-inspired fitness for every woman!

You don't have to be a professional ballerina to look like one! With Mary Helen Bowers’ Ballet Beautiful, forget beating yourself up in the gym and suffering through starvation diets for some unattainable goal. You can achieve your ideal body and develop the strength, grace, and elegance of a dancer by following Mary Helen’s proven p...more
Published June 12th 2012 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published April 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ballet Beautiful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ballet Beautiful

Fantastic insight into the Ballet Beautiful concept - great introduction to ballet inspired exercise as a fitness & exercise program.

Works well in the Kindle format & includes a free video demo for eBook readers - this is great, both in quality and content, and encourages you to try out the other exercise videos available for streaming on the website.

Others have commented (perhaps on Amazon reviews) about the quality of the photography - I would say that the images when viewed along wi...more
Tatiana
Most little girls dream of growing up and becoming a ballerina, and I was no exception. So I jumped on Mary Helen Bower’s Ballet Beautiful program, which supposedly used ballet technique to give the everyday gal the toned and graceful physique of a dancer. Not only does Bower boast a workout regimen, but also psychological and dietary strategies to create a well-rounded, balanced lifestyle. It worked for Natalie Portman, why couldn’t it work for moi?

Two weeks ago, I was very excited to give this...more
Kate Owens
Awesome book! Mary Helen Bowers is a genius! I've been doing her Ballet Beautiful workout videos (streaming and DVD) for a few months now and have loved loved loved the results! When the book came out, I was so excited. She gives great advice on how to achieve balance in your life, eating habits and exercise routine so that you can be Ballet Beautiful! I recommend this for anyone looking to get into great shape, tone like never before, achieve a balanced daily life and eating habits without usin...more
Liss
The benefit of this book (over the DVDs) is that it includes dietary guidelines (rather typical of calorie-restriction diets: high in vegetables, high in whole grains, some fruit, some fats, low in dairy, low in meat); it also includes Mary Helen Bowers' story of how she came up with "Ballet Beautiful" and why. Lastly she sets out her "mindset" which consists primarily of loving yourself as you are now and setting realistic goals for what you'd like to accomplish. Though a number of the exercise...more
Mary Helen Bowers breaks down the inspiration, moves, and Ballet Beautiful lifestyle including: recipes, shopping lists and samples of weekly schedules of her Ballet Beautiful program.

The book itself is a quick read, and is very positive and encouraging. Readers will have a better understanding of Bowers' inspiration of the program and its conception/development. Readers will also have a better understanding of Bowers, who is a genuine modern woman who doesn't guilt readers with what they cannot...more
Ivuli
It's hard for me to rate this book. As far as fitness/motivational books go, this is a very good one, but it wouldn't keep me up at night the way other books (other genres) do, so I give it three stars.

Mary Helen seems so nice and approachable, I could easily identify with her. It's a good reminder that those beautiful ballerinas are only women and often struggle the way the rest of us do.

Why will I try her program?

- You can do it at home, with no equipment whatsoever. The only thing needed is s...more
Alexa
The first two chapters read like a promotion ad for the Ballet Beautiful Program. After that it get´s a lot better, but I expected a lot more insights in the world of ballet and a more detailed plan regarding the diat, as no concrete guideline was given. I haven´t done the workout yet, but the pictures and descpritions looked pretty detailed, nevertheless to really grasp the exercises correctly the dvd might be needed as well. The positive thing about the book was that neither the diet nor the w...more
Kim Hepburn
Amazing!!! Cannot wait to get started on the beautiful ballet program!! This book has awesome workouts that you can do at home with no knowledge of ballet needed! You can tailor it to the amount of time you have spare for a workout, 15, 30 or 60 minutes. It also includes recipes and snack ideas plus it gets you to re-think how you feel about yourself and teaches you too tune out the negative thoughts and focus on the positive. Results in 2 weeks, yep I cant wait!!!!
Abby
Nice principles and helpful methods and stretches, but this would be/is more effective as a DVD. The few illustrative photos can be hard to understand or follow. Also, I tend to get annoyed with people who pretend to have expertise in numerous areas; Bowers, you are a ballerina, so just talk about ballet; don't try to tell us how and what to eat. You are not a nutritionist. I am not interested in your recipes.
Margarita Gakis
I really enjoyed this book. I've done a lot of therapy and 'self-help' over the years but I haven't seen a lot of what I've learned incorporated into a fitness program yet. In addition to the workout details [which where clear, concise and easy to follow] found a lot of helpful 'mental tips' in this book. I have purchased both the videos and am looking forward to giving it a all a go!
Emily
(TECHNCIALLY this doesn't come out until 6/12. I guess Amazon was way on the ball with this!)
I love Mary Helen's ballet beautiful workouts, so I was, naturally, very excited about this book. It takes the base of her exercises--that anyone can have a ballerina's body and bearing--and expands upon it, adding thoughts on eating, lifestyle, and, of course, ballet beautiful exercises.
Bernadette
I borrowed this book from the library. I wanted to try some new exercises and this certainly was one of them. I love Ballet Beautiful as it is low impact but it burns, meaning it is working. I currently have her DVDs, Ballet Beautiful Total Body Workout and Ballet Beautiful Cardio. It is great and so much fun. I recommend it to those who want to try something new.
Haley

Not a highly interesting or entertaining read, but I love Mary Helen's philosophy and the book is laid out in a very logical way that makes it easy to go back and look at the key points of the program, look for recipes, and remind yourself how to do an exercise as you go along. Excited to try the program!
What I liked about this is that the book deals with the most important part of losing weight and being healthy... the mind. New Year and I'm trying the techniques...
Ladyemero
Great book, very inspirational and some excellent tips. I'm going to work with her dvds and her online classes.
Teresa Ryan skidmore
Love Mary Helen! Love ballet beautiful and how it makes me feel!
Brittany
A few parts a hard to understand, but overall, I love it!
Amanda
Interesting take on getting healthy
PWRL
Apr 25, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Lisa Moorhead
Lisa Moorhead marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Brit
Brit marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Olivia Dean
Olivia Dean marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Amal Anwar
Amal Anwar marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Durene
Durene marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
  • The Ballet Companion: A Dancer's Guide to the Technique, Traditions, and Joys of Ballet
  • Classical Ballet Technique
  • Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet
  • Dancing on the Inside
  • A Very Young Dancer
  • Winter Season: A Dancer's Journal
  • Fast Fiction: A Guide to Outlining and Writing a First-Draft Novel in Thirty Days
  • Once a Dancer: An Autobiography