Start by marking “A Brief History of Ireland” as Want to Read:
A Brief History of Ireland

A Brief History of Ireland

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The story of Ireland has been wrapped in mythology and legend. Since its very origins, the island has become the home for a successive series of invaders—the Celts, Christians, Vikings, and Normans. And despite deprivation, desperation, and suppression, Ireland has developed an unwavering sense of purpose and place.
Published January 24th 2012 by Running Press (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Brief History of Ireland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Brief History of Ireland

Darrell
I recently did one of those ancestry DNA test. When the results came back I was surprised to learn that I was 60% Irish. This led me to begin a further investigation into my ancestry and I also wanted to read more about Ireland. I knew very little but didn't want to tackle a full blown history text. So when i chose 'A Brief History of Ireland' I was expecting it to be concise. I was not disappointed and it was fun to read about a land that I had no idea I was descended from. I recommend the book...more
Elsbeth Kwant
An excellently written, very interesting book on Irish history. I am impressed by the sheer intellectual effort, the compelling storytelling and insightful asides. The book focuses both on 'big people': St. Patrick, The O'Neill, Kildare, De Valeran and big stories' Catholic-Protestant relations, Anglo-Irish history, economics and demography, but without ever becoming just a boring summing up.
I have been reading this book in the sun over the Easter weekend, I don't think many history books could...more
Michael Cayley
A history of Ireland from prehistoric times to the present day. The book focuses heavily on the 19th and 20th centuries. I would like to have seen much more about earlier periods.
Candice
I literally threw up my hands at page 250 and yelled, "THAT'S IT, I'M OUT!" The offending word was "indeed," which I had counted 20 times by page 10. Is it possible to write a good history book without being fucking academic? If so, let me know.

This IS an insanely thorough look at Irish history, though...I have pages dog-eared and highlighted all over the place. But next time I'll just download the BBC documentary.
Claire Stevenson
It's a bit hard to get into, but I will persist.
Briana
Briana marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Emily
Emily is currently reading it
Oct 01, 2014
Mark Ó Congalaig
Mark Ó Congalaig marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Jonathon Laudinsky
Jonathon Laudinsky marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Ray O'mara
Ray O'mara marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Annika Hipple
Annika Hipple is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2014
Sarah Furey
Sarah Furey marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Marko Mehner
Marko Mehner marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Leah R
Leah R is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Mark Cullen
Mark Cullen is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2014
Rita
Rita is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Joe Riley
Joe Riley marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Peytie
Peytie marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Rob
Rob added it
Sep 22, 2014
Igor Spiridonov
Igor Spiridonov marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Simona
Simona is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2014
Grace
Grace is currently reading it
May 21, 2014
Catie
Catie marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A Short History Of Scotland A Short History of Modern Ireland A Short History of Ireland A Short History Of The Irish Revolution, 1912 To 1927 Timeline of Irish History