Start by marking “Boten Des Lichtsein Sciencefictionroman Aus Dem Rama Universum” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Boten Des Lichtsein Sc...

Gentry Lee

Boten Des Lichtsein Sciencefictionroman Aus Dem Rama Universum

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  316 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
As civilization on earth faces destruction, two vastly different people share a vision both hopeful and tinged with danger. They also share a life on Mars, as a priestess acting on faith and an engineer focused on surviving the harsh red planet. The mystery spawned by a cloud of white particles holds them and Raman society spellbound in the debut novel of the co-author of ...more
505 pages
Published 1997 by Bastei-Verl. Lübbe (first published 1995)

Be the first to ask a question about Boten Des Lichtsein Sciencefictionroman Aus Dem Rama Universum

Pepper
Absolutely the worst book I've ever read in my entire life. Arthur C. Clarke is my favorite Science Fiction writer. He partnered with Gentry Lee on some of the Rama books, (in retrospect) to develop the characters in Rama. I loved the Rama series. Since this was a continuation of Rama, I had high hopes. Some spoilers, so don't read further if you don't want to know. The book sets a plot of good defeating evil all the way up to the end, and then the bad guy wins, the good guy loses, and the girl ...more
Ian
Mar 05, 2009 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Clarke based scifi read. Stimulating and imaginitive. What happened to dreaming of science and space? Oh yeah, TV.
Brett
Jun 06, 2016 Brett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is not a good book. The cover proclaims that it is "set in the Rama Universe" which itself is hardly much of an incentive for readers, since the Rama sequels were borderline insufferable. Yet, even for those that may have been fans of those books, Bright Messengers lives to disappoint. It may set in the Rama universe technically, but its actual connection to any of the events of the Rama series is limited to a few passing references. It reads like a different sci-fi story (albeit one suspic ...more
Keith  Blodgett
This book starts off back in time approximately fourteen years or so after the events of the first Rama book. Earth's economy is collapsing. The colony on Mars is being left to fend for itself. Abandoned to the point the planetary prison is overrun and the inmates create their own wild west out of what's left. While this is happening some certain people on both planets experience extraterrestrial event, some describing them as angels or angelic visitations.
On a small outpost near the Martian ice
Brian
Sep 27, 2007 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Gentry Lee does the enigmatic aliens/wow-factor thing quite well on his own, without Mr. Clarke on board. If you enjoyed the Rama stories, you'll enjoy this too.
Andrew
Jun 21, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I saw this book was "set in the Rama universe", I was very excited to read it. I loved the Rama books and really wanted to continue in that same world. I was quite disappointed in the relation to the Rama books...it mentions the Rama spacecraft a few times, and there is a group of people called The Rama Society...but that's about all the connection there is.

I went through about half of the book waiting for some major connection to appear, but it never came.

I also feel that the first half
Andrew
Aug 17, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was several years ago when I finished this book. I do not wish to give away much of its content, I agree with some of the other reviewers that it did mention the Rama Universe but barely mentioned Rama. This was likely just to sale the book.
I will say one thing. It and Double Full Moon Nights (the sequel) are a good series. The actual Rama series with Arthur C Clarke and Gentry Lee is better. The date when I finished this book is just a guess. I have not that much memory.
Jake
I tend to go easy on Gentry Lee. He gets beat up by many sci-fi fans, and not without some cause. Unlike many ‘great’ authors, Lee is not adept at concealing that each of his books is built around one basic storyline that he keeps adapting to different characters and settings.

One of this novel’s strong points is offering a glimpse at what a colonized Mars might look like. And coming from the boys club of engineers, Gentry Lee is inclined to give us a world where gritty people work hard, swear a
Shane
Mar 19, 2014 Shane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Book set in the Rama Universe. If you like the how the story is told in the Rama series, this book (two actually) continues in the same manner. These two books actually ties up a loose end in the originally Rama series but still is not needed for the story. I like it because I loved the Rama series. However, if you didn't I would skip these two (Bright Messengers and Double Full Moon Night).
Norman Howe
Science-Fiction
Beth
Apr 29, 2008 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: scifi buffs, fans of Rama and Arthur C Clark
I got this for free in a pile of books given to me by a friend. It's okay. Rather predictable. Nowhere near as engaging as the Rama books which this and its sequel are an off-shoot of but it kept me interested to the end. I'm not sure if I want to read the sequel, Double Full Moon Night. It's not really calliing my name.
Ken
Dec 15, 2009 Ken rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe Gentry Lee is the brainchild behind the Rama saga (the plots are much more elaborate than the original Rendevous with Rama by Clarke).

what happened to Gentry Lee? have not seen any new offering from him for quite some time. Could it be the big D?
Chuck
Oct 10, 2012 Chuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Page-turner, but in the end, I felt like it never really gave me anything to think about. Maybe it'll all come together in part 2.
Bradley
Apr 15, 2010 Bradley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting tale that test your humanity. Not really my thing though.. especially after the heroine dies. This one goes bye-bye.
Maciej
Aug 26, 2012 Maciej rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
W porównaniu do wcześniejszych części cyklu Rama - słaba pozycja. Gentry Lee to na pewno nie C.Clarke...
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Berker
Berker marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Pedro Huerta
Pedro Huerta rated it did not like it
Jul 11, 2016
Sid
Sid marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Zarko Durlanov
Zarko Durlanov rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
ExperimentalMoose
ExperimentalMoose marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Stein Andersen
Stein Andersen rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Rafael Portillo
Rafael Portillo marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Jacinda
Jacinda marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Jason Van schagen
Jason Van schagen marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
  • Hour of Judgment (Under Jurisdiction, #3)
  • The Genesis Quest
  • Unholy Domain (PeaceMaker, #2)
  • One Step from Earth
  • Hadon of Ancient Opar
  • Dean Koontz Box Set: Odd Thomas / Forever Odd / Brother Odd
  • Tom Swift and His Jetmarine (Tom Swift Jr, #2)
  • Regenesis (Unionside, #3)
  • Dreaming Metal
  • All the Odes: A Bilingual Edition
  • Vigilant
  • Genesis
  • Monstrocity
  • Violations (Star Trek: Voyager #4)
  • The Giants Novels (Giants, #1-3)
  • Emprise (The Trigon Disunity, #1)
  • The Other End of Time
Gentry Lee is Chief Engineer for the Solar System Exploration Directorate at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California. In that position Mr. Lee is responsible for the engineering integrity of all the robotic planetary missions managed by JPL for NASA. His major recent work includes the engineering oversight of the Curiosity rover to Mars, the Dawn mission to the asteroids Vesta ...more
More about Gentry Lee...