Start by marking “A Warmer World” as Want to Read:
A Warmer World

A Warmer World

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Adapt, or face extinction.

The golden toad used to inhabit the cloud forests of Costa Rica, but when the weather became too warm and dried up the pools where its eggs hatched, the golden toad disappeared. It has not been seen in more than twenty years. This amphibian is just one of several species in A WARMER WORLD, a thought-provoking and informative account of how global
Published February 1st 2012 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Warmer World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Warmer World

A Warmer World (informational non-fiction)

First, the illustrations are very well done. The illustrator used a collage form with charcoal and oil pastels in the background, spiral bound notebook paper for facts, and paper tags for identification of species. What I found to be different about this global warming book than most children's books that I have read, is that it is very inclusive. In other words, as it does a great job of explaining global warming it also includes many different species
Kristi Bernard
Our world's climate is rapidly changing. Global warming is not only effecting us but also the animals and other small creatures that share our planet. The environmental changes are so great that some creatures are gone all together. In 1964 a biologist working in Costa Rica found a tiny yellow toad that thrived and laid eggs in pools of water. As the earth warmed the puddles dried and since 1989 the toads have not been seen anywhere. As the world gets warmer animals move to find new places to li ...more
Mary Ryall
Jan 18, 2013 Mary Ryall rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grade school teachers, children's book clubs, public libraries
Recommended to Mary by: NPR
A Warmer World is a timely subject for children. The world is experiencing Climate Change. Species of plants, butterflies, trees, fish and animals are being impacted by warmer and dryer climates.

The book made me sad, thinking that children are growing up in a world where the natural world is changing. Kids may never see some of the species I have known in my lifetime.

My question is what can be done to avert the massive species die-off? Won't a child ask these questions?

Laura Salas
A Warmer World: From Polar Bears to Butterflies, How Climate Change Affects Wildlife (Charlesbridge, 2012), by Caroline Arnold, illustrated (beautifully!) by Jamie Hogan

I really enjoyed this beautiful book. One of the things I love most about it is that it is not alarmist. It does show the devastating effects of global warming, but it also points out that climate change, while fatal to some populations, simply makes other populations change their location.

For instance, gentoo penguins didn't li
Mary Ann
With clear, accessible text, Arnold (A Bald Eagle’s World, Picture Window Books 2010) introduces young readers to the impact climate change has on animals throughout the world. Arnold, author of many nonfiction books on animals for young readers, draws readers into this complex subject by looking at the disappearance of the golden toad in the mountains of Costa Rica. While it may not seem like a lot, the average world temperature has risen more than one degree Farenheit. This change has brought ...more
This book was a little awkward to read aloud because of the different sections, but it was colorful and engaging. My children seemed to enjoy it and it was an age-appropriate (my children are ages 5-9) introduction to the topic of climate change.
Chelsea Cotton
While studying climate change in the classroom we read many books on Arctic animals. I was happy to see A Warmer World include many animals from all over the world. This informative book oontains many great facts about climate change.
A brilliant book for any weather and climate study. The book works as a whole, or each page could be assigned to an expert group for a close read.
Very informative for kids.
Courtney Angelo
This is a great book to bring into the classroom! Science is not my strong suit, but the author keeps this book simple enough that children can learn about the world happening around them. The weather, the climate, what may or may not happen each day and WHY. Further more, the reader is learning about climates they are not accustommed to, because they walk and live in the same area every day. The book is very informational and even provides a glossary for further explanations, which is helpful w ...more
I browsed through this book and read the first few pages. It seemed like a good overview on climate change and the effects it has on plants and animals throughout the world. It highlights a few specific animals and gives more information on what is happening to them as our world gets hotter.

Probably not the best for a report, but good for an interesting read on the topic.
Sharon Lawler
Very important message with a gentle presentation for our younger readers. Specific consequences of global warming are paired with various animals to show the effect on the habitat, and the adaptations the animals must make to survive. Illustrations are done in charcoal pencil and pastels, and are accented with collage, paper and tags. Glossary and resources.
This book paints the picture of wildlife affected by climate changes. It shows how their home, shelter, food, and water is all affected by the weather changes.
The illustrations are powerful and inspiring to the students.
I would use this book to show to my students how and why wildlife is easily affected by certain climate changes that occur.
An accessible, classroom-friendly, age-appropriate books on climate change.

Arnold's use of specific examples (every two page spread covers a different animal and how its life has been effected by temperature changes) is effective and useful.

Recommended for libraries and classrooms.

Lovely collage illustrations.
I thought the collage effect didn't work for me. It seemed a little out of place in that they used it to tag animals rather than incorporate more informative information. I think it could have been used as a way to show a graph from a newspaper or some other median to add depth to the information presented.
Sandy Brehl
This short non-fiction picture book packs a massive amount of accessible information about the effects of climate change and global warming on animals in a variety of biomes. Content is presented as expository text, labeled specimens, simulated field notes, glossary, and muted illustrations.
This is an informational picture book for elementary aged kids about global warming. The book discusses various plant and animal life that has been changed by global warming. A way to get kids talking and learning about an issue that effects us all.
Debbie Tanner
This is a great book to talk to kids about global warming. The book takes different animals and explains how their habitat is changing due to global warming and how the animals are impacted. I found it fascinating!
A short story about the effects of global warming on animals and plants around the world. This book clearly describes global warming in a simple way and helps students understand why it is a big deal.
My favorite parts of the book were the art and layout design. The text worked ... but it wasn't particularly enthralling. An index would have helped for research readers.
Wendy Garland
This book addresses how animals cope with (or can't cope with) the changing climate. The focus is more on the animals' survival rather than the environment.
Edward Sullivan
A good introduction to the dangerous impact climate change is having upon a wide range of animal species.
Allyson Ronghi
very informative! good for children to learn and understand
Karen Bessin
Karen Bessin marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015