A True History of the Captivation, Transport to Strange Lands, & Deliverance of Hannah Guttentag: A Novel

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  9 reviews

Like the Puritan-era narratives she studies, Hannah Guttentag’s early-1990s narrative is a chronicle of the strange places she travels—Nashville, Ithaca, New Orleans, Cleveland, Nebraska—the savages who captivate her—librarians, grad students, professors, her baby—and the redemption she earns.

Josh Russell's previous novels are Yellow Jack and My Bright Midnight. An Illinoi...more
Published August 28th 2012 by Dzanc Books (first published January 1st 2012)

Be the first to ask a question about A True History of the Captivation, Transport to Strange Lands, & Deliverance of Hannah Guttentag

Hugh
I meant to review this book for a widely read publication when I first picked up a copy.

But after reading it, I found my feelings about the book were too tied up with my own experiences as a graduate student to write about it for an audience at that point in time. Basically, there were some things I hadn't yet considered and thought through about my time at MFA school, and trying to say something coherent about the many reflections I found in this novel promised to be both painful and time-cons...more
J.A.
Maybe this is more common than I realize, but I don't believe I could adequately capture a female perspective as Russell has done here, and for that I was immediately impressed. Too, Russell's use of captivity narratives as a basis for what the protagonist experiences is far more complex and subtle than what the title suggests, and that was very cool to see. Dzanc Books scores again, and now I'll need to look up Russell's earlier books as well. My reading list grows.
TinHouseBooks
Elissa Schappell (Editor at Large): A True History of the Captivation, Transport to Strange Lands, & Deliverance of Hannah Guttentag by Josh Russell. The sassy heroine’s story—part Puritan-era narrative, part brutally funny smackdown of academia, part portrait of a woman who wants to have it all—spoke to me. A wonderfully clever novel.

Ellen Johnson
A fun love story, pretty good characterization of university English departments and grad students. The whole thing about Indian captivity was just a minor sideline, seemingly added after the book was written, so it shouldn't feature so large in descriptions of the book. Not really a good analogy to Hannah's life.
Casey
This was a quick read. I don't know what I expected from this book, but I didn't realize it was going to be a campus novel. Not a bad thing, just a surprise.
Some very honest prose.
Lacy Rice
Fun to read! I could relate so well with Hannah... It struck me as odd that a male author could understand a woman well enough to write so accurately about what's in her head.
Kristie Speights
Fast read but filled with intense emotion.
Keetha
I loved this book and was sorry it was over.
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Yuliya Gatina
Yuliya Gatina marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Dube
Dube added it
Jul 31, 2014
Gwen
Gwen marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Afra
Afra added it
Jun 19, 2014
John Cory Strischek
John Cory Strischek marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Norma Heeney
Norma Heeney marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Lauren Hamm
Lauren Hamm marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
The
The marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Brianna
Brianna marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I'm the author of three novels: A True History of the Captivation, Transport to Strange Lands, & Deliverance of Hannah Guttentag (Dzanc Books, 2012); Yellow Jack (W.W. Norton, 1999), which earned me the Bread Loaf Writers' Conference Shane Stevens Fellowship in the Novel; and My Bright Midnight (LSU Press, 2010), which earned me a National Endowment for the Arts Literature Fellowship in Prose...more
More about Josh Russell...
Yellow Jack My Bright Midnight Pretend You'll Do It Again Yellow Jack: A Novel How To Make Passive Income Online: Discover How To Start An Online Business And Make Money From Home By Building Your Own Money Machine (Multiple Streams ... Free, Income For Life) (make money online)