Start by marking “Coppernickel Goes Mondrian” as Want to Read:
Coppernickel Goes Mondrian

Coppernickel Goes Mondrian

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Mr. Quickstep, accompanied by his dog Foxtrot, is looking for the future. On the way, they meet up with Coppernickel and his dog Tungsten. Coppernickel says there’s no need to look for the future, as it will arrive anyway. Mr. Quickstep disagrees, for the future he’s after hasn't even been thought of yet. Left behind, Coppernickel worries that he will miss out if he doesn’ ...more
Published May 8th 2012 by Enchanted Lion Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Coppernickel Goes Mondrian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coppernickel Goes Mondrian

Slowrabbit
it is no secret that i'm a bit stingy with 5 star ratings. normally i would have stopped at 4 here and called it a day. but when i looked at the other ratings and the dismissive reviews, i suddenly felt (feel, the book is actually still sitting right in front of me) really protective. so i've read through it 3 times now and i love it. part homage, part travel adventure story--the illustrations are great fun and fantastic and it ends with a "futuristic", art-making, dance party. what more could y ...more
Rebecca
Jan 15, 2013 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rebecca by: Robin Gibson
Awesome book introducing kids to the artistic style of Piet Mondrian (thinking-wise and illustration-wise) via a story of looking for the future. How deep is this thought?:

"There's no point in looking," says Coppernickel. "If you just wait, the future will arrive anyway."

"But if we stand around waiting, nothing will change," Mr. Quickstep replies. "Things will only get older. I'm looking for the new."

Includes a reproduction of "Broadway Boogie Woogie" and a hint of "Victory Boogie Woogie" (the u
Pam
I loved this book! That said, I understand other people's confusion about this book and how to use it with children. The author's colorful and fun illustrations and text are not straight forward and require a knowledge of art that exceeds mine, however I did understand enough to find it a joy. Now I would like to read a biography on Mondrian so that I could come back to this book, re-read it and understand it more deeply. For parents, who love art and have studied it, I highly recommend this boo ...more
Jan
I have always appreciated the art of Piet Mondrian (1872-1944), so I picked up this picture book with great anticipation. While the illustrations are entertaining, I found the text baffling.

Mr. Quickstep is looking for the future. Coppernickel says if you just wait, it will arrive. Tungsten says, "We're on our way to pick fresh, new berries." Foxtrot says, "I can almost smell the future."

There is nothing in this opening that would give you any clue that Mr. Quickstep is an alias for Mondrian. Th
Esther
"Ik was altijd al heel modern"
Robin
Yes, the stars are colored because I am a fan of Mondrian. And I love to see his work introduced to children. The design is wonderful, and evocative of Mondrian's work (the limited color palette -- dominated by red, blue yellow), the strong black lines framing/diving illustrations.

Author/illustrator is from the Netherlands (like Mondrian), translated by the author.

**not sure why I love Mondrian, but it may be due to a jigsaw puzzle my mother had of Broadway Boogie Woogie (referenced in this boo
Mike Hylton
A clever feast for the eyes. A nice tribute to Piet Mondrian.
Maquoketa
Strange book, tho' the art was interesting.
Steve H
Impressive art work, but I think the story is a bit abstruse for children. The page or two of explanatory text at the end helps paint the Mondrian story in a clearer light and lets you know that you just experienced a quick artistic tour of Mondrian's styles in 40 pages of very clever illustrations. It's also a good idea to read the blurb on the inside back jacket flap to let you know about the author's interest in Chinese landscapes.
Adinda
Eigenlijk ken ik Keepvogel en Tungsten alleen van tv, maar dit prentenboek weet precies dezelfde sfeer over te brengen als de serie. Bovendien staat het vol geweldige illustraties, gebaseerd op de fasen in Mondriaans werk en zijn schilderijen zelf. Een bijzonder prentenboek!
Carol
I am confused. I didn't really get this book. The pictures were kind of fun, but the story didn't make a lot of sense. And yes, I do know who and what Mondrian is. I just don't think many youngsters in the picture book crowd will.
Miss Melissa
I have no idea how I would use this book for storytime or who I would suggest it to. I understood early on it was about an artist, but that is not fully explained in a way that will make sense to children.
JOEY
This story makes sense only after you read the afterword and back jacket flap. "Coppernickel Goes Mondrian" is cool in that it's stylish, but I found the story itself to be a bit goofy.
Nativida
Read this with little A who loved it and has already read it two more times on his own. Now it would be fun to take him to see some real Mondrian's...
dennis
2.5 stars--neat concept, but i think a bit too esoteric for a picture book (unless you're really into art).
Amy
Based loosely on the artist, Piet Mondrian with quirky characters and wonderful illustrations.
Heather
could be cool to use for my Exploring Great Artists program when I do Mondrian
Susan
Better for adults than kids, but still fun for both.
Jj
originally published in Dutch, 2011.
Mary Lee
Translated from Dutch.

Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Kylian Gimberg
Kylian Gimberg marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Wendy
Wendy added it
Mar 07, 2015
Sefrijn
Sefrijn marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Coppernickel: The Invention Keepvogel - Het diepste gat Keepvogel - De kijktoren Keepvogel - Noodweer The Room