Start by marking “Snowflake / different streets” as Want to Read:
Snowflake / different streets

Snowflake / different streets

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  230 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
In her first book of poetry since 2007, legendary poet, critic, and novelist Eileen Myles creates poet and poem anew as she pushes the boundaries of her craft ever closer to the enigmatic core. Snowflake finds the poet awash in an extended and distressed landscape mediated by technology and its distortion of time and space. In different streets, the poet returns home, to t ...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Wave Books

To ask other readers questions about Snowflake / different streets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowflake / different streets

House of Leaves by Mark Z. DanielewskiS. by J.J. AbramsCloud Atlas by David MitchellTree of Codes by Jonathan Safran FoerExtremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
Books with Innovative Book Design / Structure
185th out of 239 books — 354 voters
Eunoia by Christian BökI'll Drown My Book by Caroline BergvallAgainst Expression by Craig DworkinSoliloquy by Kenneth GoldsmithUnoriginal Genius by Marjorie Perloff
Conceptual Writing
40th out of 146 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Diana Salier
Apr 08, 2012 Diana Salier rated it it was amazing
Snowflake (new poems) was awesome. when i grow up i aspire to be Eileen Myles, if i don't get to be JD Salinger or Richard Brautigan. she writes a lot about the sun and being in the dark and being in crazy love with all sorts of females. it makes me feel ok about having females come and go in my life.

wasn't as into Different Streets (newer poems). i think these are mostly poems about/for her current girlfriend. maybe being too crazy in love with someone doesn't make for as good poems as losing t
Aimée Verret
Feb 07, 2016 Aimée Verret rated it really liked it
Spent quite a while on this book. English is not my first language, so poetry can be a challenge. I read "Different Streets" first, didn't think much of it, but I read it again and then I started getting it. After I moved on to "Snowflake" and found it easier to get into (maybe I was now acclimated?). Anyhow, after two thorough reads I quite enjoyed the depth of these short snappy sentences, and the meaning behind what could pass for lightness. (Hope this review makes sense, I was struggling for ...more
Tracy
Jan 18, 2014 Tracy rated it really liked it
it's like we took of our skin
and said it is hot. It's like we sold our skin
& said where did everyone go?

when the weather's too hot for comfort
&we we can't have ice-cream cones
it ain't no sin
to take off your skin
& dance around in your bones

from "Choke"

Can we have a moment for the Wave Books design? So beautiful - beige and black is the constraint, but no book from them looks the same. The design always enhances the gorgeous content.
Mary
Jun 15, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I think this is a collection I need to give some time and a second read to really digest. I have a hard time with very tiny verses - I read through them too quickly and don't really savor the slowness of each page. I was left, overall, with a feeling that something important was going on, but I was missing out on it. I think I need to dedicate more patience to this and be a better reader when I have the energy to give it the attention it deserves.
Marc Kohlman
Jan 10, 2016 Marc Kohlman rated it really liked it
One of the funniest, sassiest and deep poetry collections I ever read! Each one of the poems eclipsing the last. I had the honor and pleasure of meeting Myles in September of 2014. That was an experience I shall always remember and cherish. She was the third long-standing published writer I ever met. Myles personal advice, opinions and perspectives on being a writer, marketing ones self and the art of poetry were interesting and of great influence. The day Myles came to read her poems at my coll ...more
Christa
Feb 07, 2013 Christa rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Snowflake was a wonderful volume, full of thick words and more intangible topics. different streets was not as moving for me, I think in part because the topics were more straightforward and the approach verbally sparse.

At the end of different streets, Myles mentions that many of these 'newer poems' were transcriptions of older pieces, and that's somewhat how the poems feel to me-- quick, ephemeral, and fleeting, like they could vanish into air without leaving a trace of their weight.
Tom
Apr 30, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it
Nice spare lines, down to the bone, honest. It's that so-called minimalist style of poetry influenced by haiku's compression--difficult to master, to sound natural and not solipsistic.
Stacy
Jul 25, 2012 Stacy rated it it was amazing
I wrote a review of Snowflake / Different Streets over at Revising Loneliness:

Jasmin
Aug 10, 2015 Jasmin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mirrors
I love the columnar structure of the poems. The content makes me smile. I really relate.
Katie Schmid
Jul 20, 2012 Katie Schmid rated it liked it
I like this pretty two-in-one book. My favorite was "different streets."
J.A.
Aug 01, 2012 J.A. rated it really liked it
review forthcoming at The Nervous Breakdown
Jen A.
Jan 14, 2013 Jen A. rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I hate to give a bad rating to something that I know "isn't my thing," so I'll give this volume of poetry by Eileen Myles 3 stars.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around poetry, especially that which falls into the vein of being more symbolic, with less-than-concrete imagery. I'm sure some people will find inspiration and beauty in Myles' work; I struggled to find the cadence to read any of the works.

One poem is simply two words stacked on top of one another. (What?!)

I liked that the book w
HC
Mar 16, 2016 HC rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, poetry
I'm lukewarm because it felt very hit or miss. I wonder if some of it was just too personal for me to connect with. I prefer Snowflake to Different Streets--the latter felt more specific to her life than the former, or at least I interpreted it that way.
Kevin
Feb 26, 2013 Kevin rated it it was ok
Attracted by her biting wit and flowing line, I sought Myles out after hearing her on a Poetry Foundation podcast. After all, aren't we all on the lookout for what I took to be a working-class, lesbian version of Fred Seidel? Unfortunately, the only poem here that lived up to my expectations was on the "different streets" side of the house, called "the perfect faceless fish". The rest were stranded in traffic on a California freeway or faded away before the page was even turned.
Resi
Jan 23, 2014 Resi rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt-things, poetry
there were some pieces I liked in these books, although I found that her style took some getting used to. in a way, she almost kind of reminds me of gertrude stein in stanzas in meditation --- while she is far less dense than stein, myles's pieces, individually, take the reader on a sort of stream of consciousness trajectory. the result is pretty fascinating, and makes for an interesting read, nonetheless!
Mersini
Jun 06, 2016 Mersini rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, poetry
The first of my encounters with Eileen Myles' poetry, ahead of seeing her talk in a few days. I liked Inferno, and I liked this one, and I suspect I'll like I Must Be Living Twice, which I'm about to start.
E
Aug 22, 2012 E rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
It's quite nice when you can cull beauty and inspiration from something that isn't quite your style. These poems confused and left me ancy, anxious to get writing my own answers to them.
Valerie
Oct 07, 2012 Valerie rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, queer
Some of the poems in this double volume were so amazing they blew me away, but other poems weren't as great to me. So I liked it, but it didn't blow me away like Sorry, Tree did.
Vincent Scarpa
Apr 12, 2014 Vincent Scarpa rated it it was ok
Not my favorite collection of Eileen's, but not without its great poems. I much preferred the "Different Streets" section.
Mark Ballinger
Dec 21, 2015 Mark Ballinger rated it it was ok
Recommended to Mark by: Seattle Review of Books
Shelves: poetry
These very personal (like, name checking friends personal) overly stream of consciousness poems did not grab me.
Quinn
Jan 12, 2013 Quinn rated it liked it
Snowflake/different streets features understated, sincere, quipp-ish poetry. Not sure if I like it yet.
lola
Jul 12, 2012 lola rated it liked it
one day i'll like the things people write after they're happy and mature
and then this will be my favorite
Gina
Jan 04, 2014 Gina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I reviewed this for The Rumpus here: http://therumpus.net/2012/04/the-body...
A.K. Roxas
A.K. Roxas rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Portal in the Pages
Portal in the Pages marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Patris
Patris marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Gift
Gift marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Allya Yourish
Allya Yourish marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Elease
Elease marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
cori
cori marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
  • Dark Matter
  • Engine Empire: Poems
  • Slow Lightning
  • Meat Heart
  • If the Tabloids Are True What Are You?
  • In the Pines
  • Something Bright, Then Holes
Eileen Myles (born 1949, Cambridge, Massachusetts) is probably America's best-known unofficial poet. Her latest book is Sorry, Tree in which she describes “some nature” as well as the transmigration of souls from the east coast to the west. Bust Magazine calls Myles "the rock star of modern poetry" and Holland Cotter in The New York Times describes her as "a cult figure to a generation of post-pun ...more
More about Eileen Myles...