Start by marking “Keepers of the Cave” as Want to Read:
Keepers of the Cave

Keepers of the Cave (Johnston & Riley #1)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  667 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
While the investigations go on in Dallas and Baton Rouge after the disappearance of a senator’s daughter, FBI agents CJ Johnston and Paige Riley are assigned to the sleepy backwoods of East Texas for a dead-end assignment to infiltrate an all-girls school.
Random disappearances dating back fifty years and more raise red flags that point to the tiny, isolated community of Ho
Published July 24th 2012 by Bella Books (first published July 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Keepers of the Cave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keepers of the Cave

And Playing the Role of Herself by K.E. LaneWaiting in the Wings by Melissa BraydenJericho by Ann McManHow Sweet It Is by Melissa BraydenThirteen Hours by Meghan O'Brien
Best F/F Romance Books
50th out of 617 books — 460 voters
Witch Wolf by Winter PenningtonThe Dark Wife by Sarah DiemerAmbereye by Gill McKnightThe Midnight Hunt by L.L. RaandSanta Olivia by Jacqueline Carey
F/F Paranormal and Urban Fantasy
42nd out of 275 books — 339 voters

More lists with this book...

T
I love paranormal books. Magic, beasts, supernatural and the likes. And i love lesfic and romance novels. When i find a rare one that blends the two, i almost always love it. This book is one of those. It's very much like Hunter's Way, as far as two women detectives (fbi in this case), hot on the trail of a serial murder mystery. The sexual tension is full force, both trying to pretend they could care less about the other until thrown together. (expect another hot dance club scene reminiscent of ...more
Ronel
Mar 08, 2013 Ronel rated it it was ok
For me this was a disturbing read. Romance aside, the sexual violence theme just became too much.

Sexual abuse, rape and incest are recurring themes in a lot of Gerri Hill's books, whether in the form of past abuse/incest or in the form of one of the main characters being raped or in the form of a serial killer/rapist or in this case, a weird cult with extreme practices.

Not to say that it is not a topic to be debated and discussed but you know, it just gets a bit too much.

As to the rest of the
Tina Taylor
May 13, 2014 Tina Taylor rated it liked it
Another winner from Hill. Again, 2 great lead characters, good chemistry, CJ and Paige are a nice fit together. The only think that I didn't care for was the crime they were investigating. Just a bit on the odd side for me. I am working on the sequel now.
Mar 27, 2013 Sarah rated it did not like it
I found this book an interesting read but ultimately hugely irritating! [Spoilers coming up...]

The end was a complete and utter let down; it seemed as though the author was more concerned with throwing in another sex scene than with tying up all the loose ends that she'd created. Where was Gretchen? Who moved Mother Hogan? Why could no-one find the monster (seriously - he uses the same track to travel through the woods every night but no-one could find him)? I was waiting for explanations that n
Arielle
Oct 16, 2015 Arielle rated it liked it
I found this book to be...good. It's not the best lesbian romance book I've ever read, but it's also by far not the worst. I found the violence against women difficult to take.
Rudy
Dec 26, 2015 Rudy rated it it was ok
Shelves: glbt
A great set of main characters is why I want to give this book 4 stars but a terribly ridiculous plot and an extreme dearth of action (for a cop story) is why I can't get past two stars. I completely understand the concept of suspension of disbelief, but you can only suspend your disbelief up to a point- and past that point you just have to acknowledge that there is a flaw in the story.

The lead female characters are totally appealing. I love spending time with and getting to know them, as they
Georgia
Oct 31, 2012 Georgia rated it liked it
I've always been a big fan of Gerri Hill and I wanted to give this five stars, but I just couldn't. It didn't seem to me that she solved the mystery and horror of the book at the end. I also found it very slow in spots. While I commend her getting into a new genre (horror), I would have liked a better ending to this book.
Krisz
Sep 01, 2013 Krisz rated it it was ok
This could have been a really good story about cults. Instead it was a ridiculous story about a monster in a cave. I mean seriously, a 10 foot lizard like monster who impregnates women? Really? And how gutless were those two FBI agents? I wouldn't want them having my back!
Really disappointed!
lov2laf
4.25 stars.

This book is a trip. This is my first Gerri Hill novel and I admit I didn't read the description so I had no idea what I was in store for. It starts out simple enough where Paige and CJ, both FBI agents, are sent undercover to an all girls school in the middle of nowhere on a hunch to investigate missing person cases. It develops as a real world situation but then morphs into something straight out of the X-files. Dropped into the middle of all of the freaky stuff is an actual romance
Megzz
Sally906
Dec 22, 2013 Sally906 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, mystery
A US senator’s daughter has gone missing and when the FBI look into the area where she was last seen it is discovered that over the last 50 plus years there have been a series of random disappearances and it raises a red flag in their data banks. The disappearances all point to the tiny, isolated community of Hoganville located in the sleepy backwoods of East Texas. Further investigation reveals that Hoganville is a community completely populated members of the Hogan family and led by one woman ...more
Cab
Nov 11, 2014 Cab rated it liked it
I’ve read most, if not all of Gerri Hill’s books and I have to say from the very beginning this is NOT a typical “fluffy” Gerri Hill story. It feels grittier, edgier, and it’s definitely creepy. My usual modus operandi is to read a Gerri Hill in one or two sittings. In part because they tend to be light, easy, enjoyable reads. This one took me a few days, not because it was less enjoyable but because it required more active participation on my part to track the story; which means I had to think ...more
reader
Jan 20, 2013 reader rated it really liked it
These sizzling leads bear a striking resemblance to the butch-femme cops in Hunter's Way... so if you love them or if you just love a hot pair of opposites that complement each other with both humor and sexiness... you'll just love FBI Agents CJ and Paige.

When an eerie series of disappearances puts them both undercover at a detention facility/school for girls out in the boonies, they must live on site where they must pretend to be a couple in a small one-bedroom cabin... and the rest is just pur
Karen A.
I'd rate it 3.5 stars. Loved Paige and CJ's chemistry....hot, hot, hot!!!

The story per se made me feel as if I were watching either an X-files or Buffy's episode (which is good)

The problem is in my opinion, that sometimes (specially towards the end) the story became, how can I say it?, a little bit stupid and or predictible.

Don't get me wrong, it's worth reading.
Gaelle Cathy
May 15, 2015 Gaelle Cathy rated it really liked it
Awesome read!!!!! It was a great story and I've really loved the interaction between our two girls. Loved how it developed and how they were honest about it but the ending killed me!!! It was the last of the Gerri Hill I had in store but I HAD to buy Weeping Walls NOW to read more about them although I am overdrawn. Gerri Hill is gonna bankrupt me!!!! ;) Great story!!
Velvet Lounger
Dec 15, 2013 Velvet Lounger rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, crime, mystery
I loved this new story line. Lesbian Romance Crime Horror.. new genre on me. I was quite shocked by the negative reviews. Yes its a new direction, but cant authors try something different?

I couldn't take the horror too seriously, found it more tongue in cheek than Stephen King frightening - think X files. The baddies where bad, the monsters were scary, and the conflicted good guys pay for their crimes. But it didn't have me hiding under the bed or behind the sofa.

Love CJ and Paige, fun new chara
Aimee Hill
Nov 06, 2014 Aimee Hill rated it liked it
I liked the characters, and that this was completely different than Hills typical plot lines. It had some serious promise, though it did leave me puzzled at the end with only a slight resolve to the actual case, though enough to be content with the end.
M
Nov 27, 2012 M rated it really liked it
Shelves: l-books

I really wish that we could give half stars as this most definitely a 4.5 star book. Not quite a 5 star novel, but a really well written and entertaining read.

Really enjoyed that characters as the author has an ability to create 3 dimensional main figures that rarely feel like plot ciphers. They speak and react as you would do yourself. Well written (if generic bad girl/good girl romance trope) dialogue and pacing made this a page turner.

Special mention must go to the baddies. They were very b
B.L.
Apr 30, 2015 B.L. rated it really liked it
This was the first book I have ready by Gerri Hill. I look forward to reading many more. The relationship that was built between Paige and CJ was believable and entertaining. I was drawn in almost immediately.
Miriamiele
Jul 25, 2012 Miriamiele rated it really liked it
Shelves: no-for-kids
I really liked it... Beginning was promising... The atmosphere of a small and secluded community in the middle of a forest (with the “cult” thing) reminded me to one of the Best Lovecraft books…. The loving story between two FBI agents whit very different personalities was hot, really hot… But… (always a but, so not a 5 stars book) the end was predictable and some love scenes seems pasted with glu (specially, the “D” sex)… Be serious: You cannot have a real crazy, hot, “freaking your brain” sex ...more
TJ Johnston
Oct 15, 2012 TJ Johnston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book, so the content is still pretty fresh in my mind. I am a fan of Gerri Hill and the style of her writing. Most of her books are fun, sexy reads with great characters.

This book was not a let down by any means. The two main characters are witty, likeable and there is a good amount of sexual tension between them. Now, as for the mess of a case these two FBI agents are in, let me just say that it is way, way out there. I won't ruin it for you but the case is a weird concoct
Karen
May 29, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
My first Gerri Hill novel and I really liked it. Not slobbering lesbian love scenes. Thank you!
I like the merge into paranormal and all around weirdness.
Great Fun
The end was either the opening for part 2 or a huge let down.
The VERY end was a total hoot!
Dave
Sep 10, 2015 Dave rated it it was ok
Two stars, only because I finished it and yeah, I enjoyed the sex. But overall, disappointing. Weak storyline, weak characters, weakdecision making, weak plot. Won't be back
Weetniet7
May 31, 2014 Weetniet7 rated it did not like it
If I could give this zero stars I would.

Such a disappointed read. A plot that has so much potential killed with an easy (and crazy!) way out.
Jaimy
Jan 10, 2016 Jaimy rated it really liked it
Two women, who have history and try forget all about that, mixed with a mysterious case they're sent to solve alone. Can you say sexual tension. Holy crap. I really liked reading this book
Debby
Aug 24, 2014 Debby rated it really liked it
another good one by Gerri. I hope there will be a sequel.
C
Dec 30, 2015 C rated it did not like it
This was lame. I've said this before but next time I'm going to TRIPLE check that I'm not buying Xena fanfiction because they all seem to be terrible. I like B-movies and this could have been an entertaining cheesefest, but the story drags, the characters are bare cutouts, and I don't care about Xena's childhood trauma. Or Xena. Or anyone in the book.

ok, the scene where one of the teachers tells Xena and Gabrielle she's pregnant with a demon baby was entertaining.
Jenny
Sep 03, 2014 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this novel. Would recommend.
Sheryl
Jan 10, 2014 Sheryl rated it did not like it
Thumbs up for the sex, (mostly) but if by any chance you picked this up in the hopes of enjoying a mystery and some police procedural action then drop it like it's hot. There is no mystery. There is just a really pathetic "monster," a town full of Stepford Wives, and a pair of sexy but idiotic FBI agents making one bad decision after another. :(
Brianne
Aug 17, 2015 Brianne rated it it was amazing
THAT'S HOW IT ENDS?! Killing me here.
  • Passion's Bright Fury
  • 96 Hours
  • Conflict of Interest
  • Silver Collar (Garoul, #4)
  • Hard Times
  • Mother Load (Shaken, #4)
  • Hunter's Pursuit
  • Battle Scars
  • Desolation Point
  • Mending Defects
  • Substitute for Love
  • The Long Way Home
Gerri began writing lesbian romance as a way to amuse herself while snowed in one winter in the mountains of Colorado, and hasn’t looked back. Her first published work came in 2000 with One Summer Night. Many more romances have followed, with the occasional murder mystery in the mix.

Gerri’s love of nature and of being outdoors usually makes its way into her stories as her characters often find the
More about Gerri Hill...

Johnston & Riley (2 books)
  • Weeping Walls