Keepers of the Cave

Keepers of the Cave (Johnston & Riley #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  32 reviews
While the investigations go on in Dallas and Baton Rouge after the disappearance of a senator’s daughter, FBI agents CJ Johnston and Paige Riley are assigned to the sleepy backwoods of East Texas for a dead-end assignment to infiltrate an all-girls school.
Random disappearances dating back fifty years and more raise red flags that point to the tiny, isolated community of Ho...more
Published July 24th 2012 by Bella Books (first published July 2012)

And Playing the Role of Herself by K.E. LaneJericho by Ann McManWaiting in the Wings by Melissa BraydenThirteen Hours by Meghan O'BrienAmbereye by Gill McKnight
Best F/F Romance Books
33rd out of 355 books — 187 voters
Witch Wolf by Winter PenningtonAmbereye by Gill McKnightThe Midnight Hunt by L.L. RaandThe Dark Wife by Sarah DiemerSanta Olivia by Jacqueline Carey
F/F Paranormal and Urban Fantasy
128th out of 187 books — 213 voters

More lists with this book...

T
I love paranormal books. Magic, beasts, supernatural and the likes. And i love lesfic and romance novels. When i find a rare one that blends the two, i almost always love it. This book is one of those. It's very much like Hunter's Way, as far as two women detectives (fbi in this case), hot on the trail of a serial murder mystery. The sexual tension is full force, both trying to pretend they could care less about the other until thrown together. (expect another hot dance club scene reminiscent of...more
Tina Taylor
Another winner from Hill. Again, 2 great lead characters, good chemistry, CJ and Paige are a nice fit together. The only think that I didn't care for was the crime they were investigating. Just a bit on the odd side for me. I am working on the sequel now.
Ronel
For me this was a disturbing read. Romance aside, the sexual violence theme just became too much.

Sexual abuse, rape and incest are recurring themes in a lot of Gerri Hill's books, whether in the form of past abuse/incest or in the form of one of the main characters being raped or in the form of a serial killer/rapist or in this case, a weird cult with extreme practices.

Not to say that it is not a topic to be debated and discussed but you know, it just gets a bit too much.

As to the rest of the...more
I found this book an interesting read but ultimately hugely irritating! [Spoilers coming up...]

The end was a complete and utter let down; it seemed as though the author was more concerned with throwing in another sex scene than with tying up all the loose ends that she'd created. Where was Gretchen? Who moved Mother Hogan? Why could no-one find the monster (seriously - he uses the same track to travel through the woods every night but no-one could find him)? I was waiting for explanations that n...more
Georgia
I've always been a big fan of Gerri Hill and I wanted to give this five stars, but I just couldn't. It didn't seem to me that she solved the mystery and horror of the book at the end. I also found it very slow in spots. While I commend her getting into a new genre (horror), I would have liked a better ending to this book.
Sally906
A US senator’s daughter has gone missing and when the FBI look into the area where she was last seen it is discovered that over the last 50 plus years there have been a series of random disappearances and it raises a red flag in their data banks. The disappearances all point to the tiny, isolated community of Hoganville located in the sleepy backwoods of East Texas. Further investigation reveals that Hoganville is a community completely populated members of the Hogan family and led by one woman...more
Cab
I’ve read most, if not all of Gerri Hill’s books and I have to say from the very beginning this is NOT a typical “fluffy” Gerri Hill story. It feels grittier, edgier, and it’s definitely creepy. My usual modus operandi is to read a Gerri Hill in one or two sittings. In part because they tend to be light, easy, enjoyable reads. This one took me a few days, not because it was less enjoyable but because it required more active participation on my part to track the story; which means I had to think...more
Hredzak
These sizzling leads bear a striking resemblance to the butch-femme cops in Hunter's Way... so if you love them or if you just love a hot pair of opposites that complement each other with both humor and sexiness... you'll just love FBI Agents CJ and Paige.

When an eerie series of disappearances puts them both undercover at a detention facility/school for girls out in the boonies, they must live on site where they must pretend to be a couple in a small one-bedroom cabin... and the rest is just pur...more
Velvet Lounger
I loved this new story line. Lesbian Romance Crime Horror.. new genre on me. I was quite shocked by the negative reviews. Yes its a new direction, but cant authors try something different?

I couldn't take the horror too seriously, found it more tongue in cheek than Stephen King frightening - think X files. The baddies where bad, the monsters were scary, and the conflicted good guys pay for their crimes. But it didn't have me hiding under the bed or behind the sofa.

Love CJ and Paige, fun new chara...more
M
Nov 27, 2012 M rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: l-books

I really wish that we could give half stars as this most definitely a 4.5 star book. Not quite a 5 star novel, but a really well written and entertaining read.

Really enjoyed that characters as the author has an ability to create 3 dimensional main figures that rarely feel like plot ciphers. They speak and react as you would do yourself. Well written (if generic bad girl/good girl romance trope) dialogue and pacing made this a page turner.

Special mention must go to the baddies. They were very b...more
Miriamiele
I really liked it... Beginning was promising... The atmosphere of a small and secluded community in the middle of a forest (with the “cult” thing) reminded me to one of the Best Lovecraft books…. The loving story between two FBI agents whit very different personalities was hot, really hot… But… (always a but, so not a 5 stars book) the end was predictable and some love scenes seems pasted with glu (specially, the “D” sex)… Be serious: You cannot have a real crazy, hot, “freaking your brain” sex...more
TJ Johnston
I just finished this book, so the content is still pretty fresh in my mind. I am a fan of Gerri Hill and the style of her writing. Most of her books are fun, sexy reads with great characters.

This book was not a let down by any means. The two main characters are witty, likeable and there is a good amount of sexual tension between them. Now, as for the mess of a case these two FBI agents are in, let me just say that it is way, way out there. I won't ruin it for you but the case is a weird concoct...more
Weetniet7
If I could give this zero stars I would.

Such a disappointed read. A plot that has so much potential killed with an easy (and crazy!) way out.
Sheryl
Thumbs up for the sex, (mostly) but if by any chance you picked this up in the hopes of enjoying a mystery and some police procedural action then drop it like it's hot. There is no mystery. There is just a really pathetic "monster," a town full of Stepford Wives, and a pair of sexy but idiotic FBI agents making one bad decision after another. :(
Serena
I have read Keepers of the cave, because I'm a big fan of Hunter's Way! I was lucky, the genre is a bit the same. I love that Gerri Hill uses butch / femme characters. Even if this happens often, it works for the character of CJ and Paige. Just as it worked for Tori and Sam in the book Hunter's Way. Only downside was that the story is a bit strange at the end. Too weird! But the great characters make up for it with good chemistry and romance. Exciting, Hot, and fun! On to Part 2.
Nicole Huddleston
Definitely not your usual Gerri Hill. Read in a day. Loved it.
Agirlcandream
I have enjoyed novels by Gerri Hill in the past. I found this book as a library loan, so happy to actually find an LGTB book in the library that picked it up without reading the story description. Paranormal is just not an interest of mine. The MC's Paige and CJ were interesting enough but the storyline was just too slow to develop and way too far fetched.
Baxter Trautman
As usual I didn't designate stars as I don't think it fair of me to assign such a weighty, albeit arbitrary score, to a genre I don't like. For romance fans I can easily see this novel being 4 or 5 of the little pointed goldies.

Full review at my website - http://baxterclare.com/blog/2012/08/1...
Krisz
This could have been a really good story about cults. Instead it was a ridiculous story about a monster in a cave. I mean seriously, a 10 foot lizard like monster who impregnates women? Really? And how gutless were those two FBI agents? I wouldn't want them having my back!
Really disappointed!
Lj Reynolds
This book will take you out of your comfort zone and make you think! I loved the storyline, bantering between the main characters and how it ended. I hope a sequel is coming to finally answer some of those lingering questions and the Keeper of the Cave is finally put to rest.
Suzen
Great love story if you ignore the creepy background story. But the foreground story, the love story was wonderful!
Marielle
Not my favorite when it comes to Gerri Hill books. Although the storyline between CJ and Paige is great, the whole supernatural ordeal isn't my thing, which makes the over-all read for me not all that...
JKR
This is my second time reading this book. I really enjoyed it the first time, so I am re-reading to reacquaint myself with the characters as I prepare to read the sequel Weeping Walls.
Heidi
It's a case of lesbian pulp .... and I loved it! It's fast-paced, entertaining and at times even funny. The story was a little far fetched, but all in all a great read!
Kelly Torgerson
Absolute fluff, absolutely awesome. Overlay the murder mystery and undercover operation with romantic intrigue, and it is a recipe for fantastic!
Natazzz
Such a fun read! The plot is totally unbelieveble, but if you can get past that it's very enjoyable. Lesbian pulp at its best.
Sue Frampton
This book had me on the edge of my seat until the very end. Another well written book that kept me intetested from page one.
Marielle
looking forward to the sequel. It was an interesting story even without the supernatural aspects added to it.
Kirsty

I wish I could say I enjoyed the story and the characters but the story was just too far fetched.
Fin
As with many Gerri Hill novels, I liked the characters far more than the plot of the story itself.
  • 96 Hours
  • Passion's Bright Fury
  • Substitute for Love
  • Without Warning (Shaken, #1)
  • Battle Scars
  • Wasted Heart
  • Madam President
Gerri began writing lesbian romance as a way to amuse herself while snowed in one winter in the mountains of Colorado, and hasn’t looked back. Her first published work came in 2000 with One Summer Night. Many more romances have followed, with the occasional murder mystery in the mix.

Gerri’s love of nature and of being outdoors usually makes its way into her stories as her characters often find the...more
More about Gerri Hill...
Hunter's Way (Hunter, #1) Behind the Pine Curtain The Target Love Waits In the Name of the Father (Hunter, #2)