Start by marking “No Matter What...They'll Call This Book Racist: How our Fear of Talking Honestly About Race Hurts Us All” as Want to Read:

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In the Age of Obama, the ugly charge of racism is more prevalent than ever. Why? Because telling the truth about racial profiling, crime, the social fallout of single parent homes, and the ways racial preferences distort the very meaning of equity and justice would mean facing up to the soul-destroying pathologies of urban black culture. Instead, black leaders and their gu ...more
Published April 17th 2012 by Encounter Books (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about No Matter What...They'll Call This Book Racist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Matter What...They'll Call This Book Racist

Bojan Tunguz
The subject of race is the most polarizing and contentious topic in American politics. Given America’s history, it is not hard to see why. The legacy of slavery, Civil war, and Civil rights struggle has left an indelible mark on the American soul. Nonetheless, America as a whole has come a long way in terms of its race relations. Americans of all ages and walks of life have become increasingly less racist in their outlook, and the ugliest instances of racism have all but vanished from most place ...more
Christina
Harry Stein makes some valid points about the dismal state of race politics continuing in American Life today. I have a unique viewpoint because I was the victim of a racial attack when I was in graduate school. So I'm wary of the ethic that "all whites are racist" when racism happened in the opposite direction to me. Obama was lucky people voted for him even though his Reverend Wright could be considered hateful. The hate and anger that goes on is simply unbelievable.

Harry Stein excoriates peop
Selena
While this book appeared well-researched, it came off more as a conservative rant than a well-argued book. I can hear my various SAGES (seminar English) professors now: "Where's the other side?"

While Stein comments on the other side quite often, it's just to say, "Look how wrong these guys are!" rather than, "While they're right about x, they're wrong when it comes to y and z."

What's even funnier, while Stein was making the argument that no one demanded college transcripts of Obama because he's
Greg Perciak
If the following passage makes you curious, read the book!
"In 1899, there were four academic public high schools in Washington D.C. - one black and three white... In standardized tests given that year, students in the black high school averaged higher test scores than two of the three white high schools."
You read that right - we're talking about 1899. Contrast that with today's reality. This is one brave author who dares to cross the PC line and bridge the racial divide with heart and honesty.
Kevin
Apart from some unnecessary flip lines, this book was really good - one of those books you wished you everyone you know would read so you can see what parts people disagree with. The most interesting parts to me were the discussions of crime and "acting white."
Nathan Sharp
Everyone should read this book! It is very refreshing to hear unabashed honesty about the terrible consequences to everybody, white and black alike, from progressive policies in this country.
Derek
Derek marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
John Brown
John Brown marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Cicely
Cicely marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Bruce Wibright
Bruce Wibright marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Danielle Burton
Danielle Burton marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Inara Noir
Inara Noir marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Lency Kuresa
Lency Kuresa marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Louise Eastman
Louise Eastman marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Thepinkpig Abides
Thepinkpig Abides marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Ishmael Gipson sr.
Ishmael Gipson sr. marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Daniel Chambers
Daniel Chambers is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2015
Hunter
Hunter marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Rakesh Muthyala
Rakesh Muthyala marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Rachel Thomas
Rachel Thomas marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Hope Morrissett
Hope Morrissett marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Kirstin Boothe
Kirstin Boothe marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
StarRose
StarRose marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Conservative author Harry Stein is known for his light touch on hard topics: How I Accidentally Joined the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy (And Found Inner Peace): I Can't Believe I'm Sitting Next to a Republican; The Idiot Vote -- The Democrats' Core Constituency; etc. Now, with his comic novel Will Tripp, Pissed Off Attorney-at-Law , he does his bit to take back popular culture from the radical lef ...more
More about Harry Stein...
The Magic Bullet I Can't Believe I'm Sitting Next to a Republican: A Survival Guide for Conservatives Marooned Among the Angry, Smug, and Terminally Self-Righteous How I Accidentally Joined the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy: (and Found Inner Peace) Infinity's Child The Girl Watchers Club : Lessons from the Battlefields of Life