Start by marking “Peace, They Say: A History of the Nobel Peace Prize, the Most Famous and Controversial Prize in the World” as Want to Read:

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In this book, Jay Nordlinger gives a history of what the subtitle calls “the most famous and controversial prize in the world.” The Nobel Peace Prize, like the other Nobel prizes, began in 1901. So we have a neat, sweeping history of the 20th century, and about a decade beyond. The Nobel prize involves a first world war, a second world war, a cold war, a terror war, and mo...more
Published March 27th 2012 by Encounter Books (first published March 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Peace, They Say, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peace, They Say

Chris
Jay Nordlinger finds something nice to say about nearly all of the laureates, doing a good job of teasing out their real achievements and sterling qualities from the spin and fluff. I would have liked it to have been longer- there were many laureates I would have loved to read more about.

My worldview overlaps extensively with Jay Nordlinger's - that's why I bought the book, from many years of reading his columns - so I never found myself in furious disagreement with him. Which is rare for books...more
Jeff
In this book Jay Nordlinger provides a conversational, historical overview of the Nobel Peace Prize and its winners from it founding through 2009. The chapters are broken down by into time periods (1901-1913, 1914-1948, 1949-1969, etc.), separated by short "interludes", or essays, in which Mr. Nordlinger describes some particular aspect of the Peace Prize. As might be expected, more detail is provided about the more modern award winners than most of the earliest ones, with the 2009 award winner...more
Ari
Many good things in the book The Nobel Peace Prize goes to an odd assortment of NGOs, UN agencies, diplomats, dissidents, and disarmament activists. Aside from the Prize, Menachem Begin, Mother Theresa, and the UN don't have a lot in common.

The thing I now understand is that the prize is very much what the committee that year chooses to make of it. The committee is appointed by the Norwegian parliament and very much reflects shifting Norwegian political sensibilities.

The book can't quite decide...more
Rick
A little slow at times, but a very interesting look at the Nobel peace prize and winners. While he definitely could not hide his opinions at times I felt he overall gave them a fair shake with the winners history. Particularly interesting was to see how the types of winners(disarmers, environmentalists, humanitarians, etc.) would change with the political times of the world. It will probably provoke me to read further on some of the individuals.
Maxwell Harwitt
Interesting subject, but not much interesting about the writing. A simple processional with extra commentary on the few surprise recipients. It did make me want to go explore the Nobel lectures, which are available on-line: http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prize...
Sara Derose
1st Book Club Book with Dad. Interesting parts, particularly the Interludes and the beginning. Dragged a bit in the middle. Writing style was fun to read.
Tom Wannamaker
Mini-bios of Nobel Peace Prize winners, against a backdrop of the history of the Prize itself. Jay Nordlinger has a most entertaining writing style.
Usa Tomorrow
Usa Tomorrow marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Kelley Doll
Kelley Doll marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Tala
Tala marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
John
John is currently reading it
May 25, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne is currently reading it
Apr 29, 2014
Inknscroll
Inknscroll marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Patnel
Patnel marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Disco Biscuit
Disco Biscuit marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Emmett Berryman
Emmett Berryman marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Kutluhan Çelik
Kutluhan Çelik marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2013
Timothy
Timothy marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Here, there & everywhere: collected writings of Jay Nordlinger We Will Prevail: President George W. Bush on War, Terrorism and Freedom: Foreword by Peggy Noonan; Introduction by Jay Nordlinger A National Review Book History Writ Small: Exploring Its Nooks & Crannies by Barge, Boat, and Balloon