Johnny Future

Johnny Future

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Johnny Future, lover of all that exists, hopelessly unrepentant and quixotic, knows that life is calling him. He can feel it, man. Inanimate objects, exterminator icons, street signs are all talking to him, telling him he’s a loser.

His grandmother, Dolly Flowers, the only mother he has ever known, is in a nursing home. He hasn’t seen her since she got sick, but with a stol...more
Published April 10th 2012 by MP Publishing (first published September 1st 2009)

Laura Sims
Johnny Future believes that his life is calling for something bigger and greater than what it is. He sees it in random things like objects, but he hears exterminator icons and street signs. All of them talking to him and telling him he's a loser. He hasn't seen his grandmother since she's gotten sick, so he steals a car with a prostitute. The adventure takes him from the vacant streets of Hollywood to a freeway chase with the LAPD.

I really enjoyed this book for various reasons. To me this felt l...more
Alicia
This book is hard for me to review. I found it very hectic, and I couldn’t keep track of what was going on. Abee introduced so many new characters throughout the novel, and he introduced them in such busy settings that I had a hard time remembering who was who.

Johnny Future is certainly a memorable narrator, I’ve never read anything like it. I wouldn’t say he’s a sympathetic character. I wanted to slap some sense into him, however, I also could feel that he was at his lowest point and I wanted t...more
Suhail Rafidi
It’s blithering junkie Johnny Future’s 30th birthday and he’s broker than the ten commandments. He inaugurates the third decade of his life by developing a conscience, which happens when a girl who won’t have sex with him tells the lout to visit his ailing grandmother in the Sun Valley Assisted Living Home. Slogging through a miasma of drug induced inspiration, Mr. Future takes the girl’s advice. He falls in love with a stripper named America, steals a pimp’s car, and breaks his potty-mouthed gr...more
There are a ton of books about los angeles, but very few of them capture the parts where people aren't trying to make it big in movies or tv, where people are just trying to get by. The drug addicts, the pick up artists, the average joes working retail... even in say, an adult bookstore. Johnny Future captures this underbelly of LA with a crackling electricity-- words sliding across the page like some free jazz fugue by a bunch of cats hyped up on speed. If you want safe and boring, this ain't f...more
Matt Falvey
Channeling Hunter S. Thompson in the most frightful and delightful ways, Steve Abee's "Johnny Future" is absolutely hyperkinetic. Johnny Future's drug fueled dive into the seediest nooks of southern California as he sets about changing his dormant way of life is a mind warping road trip. Abee's anything goes prose is poetic, haunting, and downright disturbing in the best ways imaginable. A drug and sex fueled Don Quixote for Generation X.
Paul
Junkie book about a junkie written as far the reader could tell by someone who has gotten wasted way too often. Parts of it are really funny, but a bizarre book none the less.
Julie O'Neal
Where do I begin? My head is still spinning from this book. Johnny Future is a junkie. He's high during this whole book and his thoughts go a million miles a second. It's a very depressing story as we go along with Johnny to get his next fix with his other lowlife druggie pals.

Johnny Rodriguez
The book was Hunter S. Thomson-esque but not as cool. Def a little bit hard to read since its from the POV of a junkie but over all I enjoyed it.
Eva
I loved this book. It was like moving, f'd up poetry. And I mean that in the best possible way. Los Angeles. Man. Crazy world.
Chiwan
love it. it's going to be remembered as a classic.
Mark Pearce
Shocking but hilarious!
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Tory Smith
Tory Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Alyssa Gunn
Alyssa Gunn marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Keely
Keely marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Miranda Moore
Miranda Moore marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Brittany Saladino
Brittany Saladino marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Isaac
Isaac added it
May 16, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Linnae Rutkowski
Linnae Rutkowski marked it as to-read
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Chad Hall
Chad Hall marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Trashcity77
Trashcity77 marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Sigriet Ferrer
Sigriet Ferrer marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Steve Abee began writing as an orderly at St. John's hospital in Santa Monica. He has previously published three books, King Planet, The Bus: Cosmic Ejaculations of the Daily Mind in Transit, and Great Balls of Flowers.

He is also the author of Johnny Future published by MP Publishing, teaches middle school English and lives in Los Angeles with his wife and two daughters.
More about Steve Abee...
The Bus: Cosmic Ejaculations of the Daily Mind in Transit King Planet Great Balls of Flowers Bus