Start by marking “Lemons and Lavender: The Eco Guide to Better Homekeeping” as Want to Read:
Lemons and Lavender: The Eco Guide to Better Homekeeping

Lemons and Lavender: The Eco Guide to Better Homekeeping

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  81 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Author Billee Sharp shares her freecycling, budget-savvy, barter-better wisdom in this step-by-step handbook for revolutionizing spending habits and reclaiming quality of life. Lemons and Lavender is an inspiring and instructive guide to living the handmade life by consuming less and creating more. Practical and profound, this handy how-to covers every area of life and off ...more
Published March 13th 2012 by Viva Editions (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Lemons and Lavender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lemons and Lavender

Damla
Apr 10, 2012 Damla rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Lemons and Lavender, the eco guide to better home-keeping by Billee Sharp. I was very interested in reading this book, as I strive to be as kind to the environment as possible, and I prefer to avoid the use of chemicals whenever I can.
I was surprised by the number of useful tips that author Billee Sharp offers in this useful book! I loved that the tips were not limited to cleaning; I additionally found many useful recipes and home remedies within the pages of Lemons and L
Baley Whary
Jan 09, 2015 Baley Whary rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Lemons and Lavender was an interesting read, and I appreciated the tips for using herbs and essential oils for health and for using everyday household ingredients for cleaning. I thought the book was organized a bit strangely; I want to be able to find all of the herbal/essential oil remedies and recipes in one place, but they're scattered throughout and the contents at the beginning aren't very detailed (and therefore not helpful in finding the recipes). Another problem with the book is that ha ...more
Lisaana
Jul 02, 2013 Lisaana rated it did not like it
This one irritated the hair off me. She pitches at an audience that I think is wealthier, more educated, more wasteful, or SOMETHING more, than my background. So instead of being able to read and think "ok, that's useful" i found myself thinking snarkily "everyone knows that" or "how stupid!" Not a pretty response. Looks like most other people enjoyed this one. I'm returning it to the library immediately for someone else's enjoyment.
Joanne
Aug 26, 2012 Joanne rated it liked it
I actually added a few recipes to my recipe box but would recommend this book more to young home makers who are just discovering there is more to life than Walmart. As previously converted post-consumptionist working hard on becoming an Urban Homesteader, much of the information in the book, although well told and relevant, was nothing new. I rate it a Perfect Primer for those beginning a better life.
Megan
Feb 05, 2015 Megan rated it really liked it
I really liked the advice this book provided. I had no idea, that I could make my own yeast. Learning that I could make it, all by myself was mind blowing. She provides advice on gardening, home repairs, cleaning, and cooking. The last couple of chapters are dedicated to recipes. I would describe it as more of an educational book. It's a good resource for green home keeping.
Trish
Sep 07, 2012 Trish rated it it was ok
This book has a lot of tips. It is just not the book for me.
Autumn Blues Reviews
Oct 04, 2012 Autumn Blues Reviews rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Learn how easy it can be for you to live a more fulfilling lifestyle.

More than just a guide, Lemons and Lavender gives you much more than just quick solutions. Instead, it teaches you with easy to remember ideas that actually are inspiring and make you want to jump right in there “now.” There is one problem I have with guides. It is that as soon as I am done reading a few ideas I want to implement, if I don’t do them right away, I usually lose interest. I didn’t have this happen with this book a
Agaucu
Mar 26, 2014 Agaucu rated it it was amazing
Though it is clear that Sharp comes from a privileged place, this book contains ample useful information for everyone. The advice within ranges from recommendations for simple items to always have on hand, to how to sustain yourself inexpensively - even freely. I would definitely recommend this book as a starting point and a reference guide. Plus, it's an enjoyable read!
Kayla
Mar 06, 2015 Kayla rated it really liked it
I stole this from my mom to read and i finished it in a day. Some great ideas on budgeting, great recipes, and tips on home remedies. If you like eco-friendly living, check out this book.
Kate
Jan 06, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
I thought this book would be a touch more inspirational than it was. However, I had just read a book prior that really spoke to me regarding house keeping & crafting. I will say this was a great resource to learn about eco friendly housekeeping. I have been trying to get away from artifical "stuff" regarless of what it is & this is your guide for sure! She explains the natural goodness of everything from lemon to your basic essential oils. Many of the recipes in here sound delicious too. ...more
Rainedoll
Sep 20, 2014 Rainedoll rated it really liked it
nice resource. some good recipes to try.
Debbie
Sep 08, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing
I've read several books of this type, and they usually have the same old, same old advice... this book had some things that were new to me and very interesting! A great salt scrub recipe that I am for sure going to try, and a reference to "reallyreallyfree.org" -- which I checked out and found is even in Seattle on the first Saturday of each month. Nothing people bring is for sale, trade or barter -- all free. I like this idea of giving things away better than taking them to a thrift store! I ma ...more
T.
Jan 18, 2016 T. rated it liked it
There are certainly some useful things here. better as a reference and a small step up from basic skills.
An enjoyable read with plenty of thought-provoking statements and inspiring ideas. The major drawback for me was how... "hippie" a lot of her lifestyle is.
Suzanne
Jan 30, 2013 Suzanne rated it liked it
This book was inspiring and also made me want to nap. It's a great overall view of cleaner, healthier living and would be a helpful tool to anyone who doesn't know where to start. I found myself wanting more detail with each chapter, but that would have made the book 10,000 pages long.
Julie
This wasn't at all what I expected. Somehow I thought it was about green cleaning your home, and there may be a chapter about that, but it's more about a complete lifestyle change.
Anja Manning
Aug 22, 2012 Anja Manning rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012
This book simply wasn't helpful. The suggestions offered didn't apply for me and the information I was looking for wasn't there.
Michelle
Jan 02, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Useful tips and recipes for greener living. Greast points on reducing everything, not just your footprint.
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
less practical and more political than expected. did remind me that i want to start sough dough bread...
Deyara
Mar 29, 2013 Deyara rated it really liked it
Lots of tips, gets quite political but not too bad. Covers the basics well.
Laurie B-W
Oct 17, 2012 Laurie B-W rated it really liked it
Useful tips and advice. Also, rather charming and inspiring.
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Kelsey Yarnell
Kelsey Yarnell marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
A Delinquent Red Panda
A Delinquent Red Panda marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Lolasuej
Lolasuej marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Janice Doyama
Janice Doyama marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Eva North
Eva North marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Naturally Clean Home: 101 Safe and Easy Herbal Formulas for Nontoxic Cleansers
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
  • Clean House Clean Planet
  • GREEN CLEAN: The Environmentally Sound Guide to Cleaning Your Home
  • EcoThrifty: Cheaper, Greener Choices for a Happier, Healthier Life
  • The Green Beauty Guide: Your Essential Resource to Organic and Natural Skin Care, Hair Care, Makeup, and Fragrances
  • The Preservation Kitchen: The Craft of Making and Cooking with Pickles, Preserves, and Aigre-doux
  • Good Life Lab: Radical Experiments in Hands-On Living
  • The Water-Wise Home: How to Conserve, Capture, and Reuse Water in Your Home and Landscape
  • The Elements of Expression: Putting Thoughts into Words
  • Make Your Place: Affordable, Sustainable Nesting Skills
  • Forgotten Arts and Crafts
  • The Permaculture Handbook: Garden Farming for Town and Country
  • On Guerrilla Gardening: The Why, What, and How of Cultivating Neglected Public Space
  • Use Your Words: A Writing Guide for Mothers
  • Saving the Season: A Cook's Guide to Home Canning, Pickling, and Preserving
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family
  • Self Sufficiency for the 21st Century