Start by marking “Open Wide! A Look Inside Animal Mouths” as Want to Read:
Open Wide!  A Look Inside Animal Mouths

Open Wide! A Look Inside Animal Mouths

Dozens of startling, close-up photos and info-packed verse explore reasons why animals might have their mouths open. Are they yawning? Screeching? Yelling? Warning? Trying to catch food? Or maybe just pleading for food?
Published February 1st 2012 by Early Light (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Open Wide! A Look Inside Animal Mouths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open Wide! A Look Inside Animal Mouths

Lynn
Apr 25, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-nf, poetry
You feel like you could almost crawl right inside the mouths of these animals! Crisp, clear photos show one or two animals per page. Each includes a title done in upper case letters with various colors of text, making the layout colorful and attractive. These are fun, creative titles, such as "Snap! Gotcha" for the turtle or "Crunch & Munch" for the crocodile. The name of each animal is highlighted in the upper outside corner, which, along with the index, help readers locate the animals incl ...more
Kate
This is a fine blend of poetry, science, and photography that will engage reluctant readers (and reluctant poetry students!) without any problems at all thanks to its unusual subject matter. The rhymes are clever and catchy, with the verbiage well matching the particular animals' mouths - I was especially impressed with the hippo poem. Factually, it leaves something to be desired (there's not much information that kids likely won't already know), but I think the author's goal was to hook kids on ...more
Dolly
Apr 01, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book that teaches about animals in an irreverent manner. The big colorful photographs and the short, rhythmic and rhyming narrative combine well to entertain and inform. Our oldest daughter's teacher highly encourages reading nonfiction books and sometimes it's a challenge to find ones that aren't overly detailed or boring. Some of the rhymes in this book do seem a bit forced, but overall this was a fun book to read aloud. We really enjoyed reading it together.
Marcie
Jul 11, 2015 Marcie rated it liked it
Recommended to Marcie by: Broomfield
I somewhat wish this wasn't rhyming as I think it would be more fun to read aloud without the forced rhymes, but I can see teacher's using it as a writing model for kids doing animal reports and the photographs are fantastic.
Peacegal
Mar 21, 2012 Peacegal rated it liked it
I enjoyed the photographs, but the text is rather dull and the author seems more concerned with making silly rhymes than imparting actual facts about the animals.
Mouse Denehy
Oct 13, 2013 Mouse Denehy rated it really liked it
The poetry is this book is fun to read out loud and the pictures are fantastic. There's a lot of humor into the book and my only complaint is that the book is not longer.
Jessica
Apr 09, 2012 Jessica rated it did not like it
The pictures were great but the poems lacking.
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2012
Ann Cooksey
Ann Cooksey rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Kendra
Kendra rated it it was ok
Apr 09, 2012
Abigail
Abigail rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Justine Goeden
Justine Goeden rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Denisse Ruiz
Denisse Ruiz rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Candace Shockley
Candace Shockley rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2013
Crystal
Aug 08, 2012 Crystal rated it liked it
I loved the pictures and some of the poems.
Megan
Feb 16, 2012 Megan rated it liked it
Loved all the cool pictures of animals' wide-open mouths, though the book kept making me yawn.
Heydi Smith
Heydi Smith rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2014
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2012
Stella
Stella rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2012
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2015
Janet
Janet rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2013
Emma
Emma rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2016
Andrea Labonte
Andrea Labonte rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Theresa
Theresa rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Christia
Christia marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2012
Kristi Schubert
Kristi Schubert marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2012
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2013
cj
cj added it
Sep 09, 2013
Stephanie Ortiz
Stephanie Ortiz marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Rosanna Arias
Rosanna Arias marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
NES Library
NES Library marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016