Start by marking “Agatha Christie: vida y misterio” as Want to Read:
Agatha Christie: vida y misterio

Agatha Christie: vida y misterio

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  1,578 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
For 50 years, Agatha Christie ruled the roost in British mysteries. Her books have been translated into every major language, and her two most favorite creations, Detective Poirot and Miss Marple, independently solved dozens of murders since Poirot first appeared in 1920.

Unlike today's more promotional authors, Christie was very private. Thus this book's gift is to take u

Published 1993 by Espasa-Calpe (first published January 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha Christie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agatha Christie

Chazzi
Dec 03, 2016 Chazzi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio, history-era
This was an interesting read but a bit on the dry side.

Agatha Christie was a very private person. She did not grant interviews and kept a tight rein on any publicity preferring her books to get the press and not herself. She took it to the extreme in that she also wrote her own autobiography that was released after she had died. This way the public would know what she wanted them to know about her life, rather than what the press or publicity hacks concocted about her.

Gillian Gill presents a vi
Drgibson63
Aug 19, 2008 Drgibson63 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christie fans
Recommended to Drgibson63 by: My wife Kati
If you are strong Agatha Christie fans -- like my wife Kati and I our -- you will enjoy author Gillian Gill's in-depth research in trying to understand the camera-shy author, and explore her much-publicized several day disappearance as her first marriage was crumbling. Christie felt the press treated her badly and shunned publicity. In her autobiography, she doesn't mention the incident.

I enjoyed learning about that unfortunate incident and her happy second marriage to a much-younger man. Christ
Stephen
Claiming to address the “Actively Detecting Reader” out to discover how Dame Agatha crafted her mysteries, Gill discloses techniques and delineates patterns of plot and character, as well as locates Christie’s detective novels within the tradition of the genre. Its style geared to the general reader, AGATHA CHRISTIE nevertheless betrays its author’s scholarly training; in addition to a foreword, introduction, and afterword, the volume includes endnotes, a bibliography, and an index. It is just a ...more
 Gigi Ann
Jul 11, 2009 Gigi Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is an Agatha Christie fan.
Recommended to Gigi Ann by: no one
I enjoyed learning about the woman herself. Chapter 4 was interesting in that Agatha had disappear for a 11 days in December 1926. She abandoned her car and her overnight belongings by the side of the road at Newlands Corner in Surrey and disappeared... 11 days later she was found, apparently the victim of amnesia, in the Hydropathic Hotel in Harrogate. In the remaining forty-nine years of her life, Agatha Christie never wrote about her disappearance or allowed it to be referred to in her presen ...more
Margaret
Apr 10, 2013 Margaret rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Agatha Christie was jealous of her privacy and successful in guarding it. With limited access to previously unknown biographical information, Gill has instead chosen to go the biography-through-literary-analysis route, exploring Christie's life and worldview through the lens of her work.

The book is painstakingly researched and has occasional brilliant insights. I didn't always agree with Gill's interpretations of Christie and her works, but 'Agatha Christie' was a thought-provoking book.
Hope
Jun 18, 2014 Hope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really well done and insightful biography of Christie. Many celebrity biographies are disappointing because they're dry lists of "this happened and then this happened" with little discussion of why these facts are important or how they influenced the individual. But Gill balances quality and quantity of information, explaining how some of Christie's literary themes (love triangles, unusual marriages, travel) and ideas about human nature were drawn from her own life and expressed in her writing.
Malcolm Noble
Aug 16, 2012 Malcolm Noble rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are so many books about our Agatha, but this one is, by a country mile, the best of the bunch. It is a biography in the true sense; it brings something new our understanding of the writer. One quirk .... I enjoy reading the reference notes on their own -- so well researched and interesting in their own right. Absoultely five stars
Perky Texan
Interesting book that I think would only really appeal to avid Christie fans. I felt it was a little dry, and belabored some points. But I did enjoy it and learned quite a bit that I didn't know. Extremely well researched, it's obvious the author knows her topic. But I thought, at times, that there was detail for the sake of detail, and not for the sake of good writing.
Georgene
Earlier this year, I read Dame Agatha's autobiography. I enjoyed it.

This book, while it goes into Mrs. Christie's disappearance in 1927, was less interesting and sometimes down right boring. There were NO photos in this book which would have livened it up considerably.
Lisa N
Oct 04, 2010 Lisa N rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
This book wavered between biography and critical analysis of Agatha Christie’s mysteries. Hers are not the type of books I would typically consider suitable for literary analysis. Basically, very boring. I stopped reading after page 55.
Kirsten
Apr 11, 2010 Kirsten rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
It seems that Christie was too private to leave behind much of a portrait of the woman. Interesting connections between her life and the characters and events in her novels, but too much detail on plot structure.
Leah
Loved the material, but it was written too dry that it was hard to read. Also she likes to reveal the end or important pieces of her mysteries.
Carah
Aug 31, 2009 Carah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't care for this book, even though I have always enjoyed Christie's novels. Gillian Gill obviously knows her stuff, but this was just too dull to fascinate.
Gordon
Jan 24, 2013 Gordon marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Marked to read.
Ava Lavin
entered the wrong book
Ed
An interesting account of Agatha's life and her works, though somewhat oddly structured.
Doug
Doug rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2007
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2015
Nai Carapella
Nai Carapella rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2017
Aulia Rahmi
Aulia Rahmi rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Dalia
Dalia rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2014
Eric Lieb
Eric Lieb rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
Sarah Cuthbert
Sarah Cuthbert rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Marietta Walker
Marietta Walker rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Mervin
Mervin rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2014
Victoria Maggio
Victoria Maggio rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Alexandra LeMay
Alexandra LeMay rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2012
Mwhiklo
Mwhiklo rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
روايات اجاثا كريستي بالعربية للتحميل 1 1 May 09, 2016 05:40PM
  • Agatha Christie
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • Agatha Christie and the Eleven Missing Days
  • Duchess of Death: The Unauthorized Biography of Agatha Christie
  • Agatha Christie at Home
  • The Agatha Christie Hour
  • Agatha Christie: Murder in the Making: More Stories and Secrets from Her Notebooks
  • Giant's Bread
  • Born or Bred? Martin Bryant: the making of a mass murderer
Gillian Gill, who holds a PhD in modern French literature from Cambridge University, has taught at Northeastern, Wellesley, Yale, and Harvard. She is the author of Nightingales: The Extraordinary Upbringing and Curious Life of Miss Florence Nightingale, Agatha Christie: The Woman and Her Mysteries, and Mary Baker Eddy. She lives in suburban Boston.
More about Gillian Gill...