Clifford The Firehouse Dog

Clifford The Firehouse Dog (Clifford the Big Red Dog)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  4,054 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Released in time for "Fire Prevention Week" in October, Emily Elizabeth and Clifford pay a visit to Clifford's brother Nero, a fire rescue dog. While learning about fire safety, Clifford unexpectedly helps out on a fire and rescues people from a burning building. Full color illustrations.
Library Binding, 32 pages
Published September 1st 1994 by Cartwheel

Kirk
Clifford is a friendly dog, one who supplies love and knowledge to the puny proletariat inhabitants of a small rural town. The more love he receives in payment, the larger he grows, until his owner, Emily Elizabeth, tells him simply to "stop."

But it is never that simple. One can't just halt growth for the sake of the motivation-lacking peasants because they feel like they're not getting their fair shake. It is market growth, symbolically depicted by a large dog, ironically colored red, which hel...more
Karen
I like this book because it helps children learn about Fire Safety as they learn and/or review fire safety vocabulary. It can be best used during "Fire Prevention Week" in October. The color illustrations open the door for discussions about Fire Safety Rules and firefighters. Students can make inferences during a read-aloud. This engaging book can be used to help motivate students to speak and work on their vocabulary.
Modboy
Emily Elizabeth and Clifford visit Clifford's brother Nero (yes that's really his name!) at the fire station. Children learn about fire safety with the ever helpful Clifford. I love the first fire safety tip at the back of the book: "Tape the number of your Fire Department to your phone."
Skylar Burris
Isn't it a little sadistic that Clifford's fireman relative is named Nero? These Clifford books bore me to tears...but the kids like them well enough.
Laura Gibbs
This book definitely has some good aspects of it! The basic story line is that Clifford goes to visit his brother, who is much smaller than him, who is a firehouse dog and works at the firehouse. While his brother is teaching other children how to “stop, drop and roll” Clifford tries to do the same outside but ends up causing more trouble than it was worth! He ran over a vendor’s food stand when he rolled! But shortly after, there is a fire and Clifford is quick to help! He is able to get there...more
Maeve Mcgill
Clifford books are classic and supply love and knowledge to children. This book focuses on fire safety and community helpers. With beautiful illustrations, Clifford comes to the rescue of a building in trouble. Children are enthralled with Clifford books once they start reading and this book may be best read during "Fire Prevention Week" or when talking about helping others...

Robert
Apr 16, 2012 Robert rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Robert by: Patty Phillips
Shelves: fiction, 2-0, dog, firefighter, own, cfc
Fritz selected this story as his bedtime story tonight. I've come to realize that Clifford isn't my kind of story. Nonetheless, it is important for the boy to be able to select what he wants to read. There was a time when he wouldn't even sit through a story.

We had a good time playing "hide and seek" with this story. When the text told us some people were in trouble, I asked Fritz where they were. When Emily Elizabeth was mentioned, I asked him where she was. Then we changed things up, and I ask...more
Chris Campos
I loved the book and so did my siblings. Clifford has been "THE" dog for ages. An amazing role model for people because he is a good living being. This tells how clifford gets to be a firehouse dog and how he saves a building along with people. he is creditable for that effort and is loved by all the people.
Erica Rhodes
It's never to early to start fire safety. Since even my 16 month old likes Clifford, it's a great way to introduce it. It's easier to remember stop, drop, and roll when picturing Clifford rolling a little too far. The Clifford stories are simplistic, but my kids all love them.

The end of the book comes with a good reminder of fire safety. The one about the phone is less useful in the U.S. since most areas now use 9-1-1 and cell phones have largely eliminated house phones, but the rest of the remi...more
Katie Casey
Clifford the Big Red Dog + Fire Trucks = what's not to love?
Brittany Perry
As a mother I know it is never too early to start safety training. At a year we taught our son how to look both ways before crossing the street. This can introduce your child to the proper way of dealing with a fire. Stop drop and roll are important rules that can save your baby should his clothes catch on fire. You can make Clifford more fun by having you child practice while you read the instructions. That way they get to move and learn new things.
Rocheal Hoffman
This is a cute book that students may enjoy laughing at the playful, fictional scenes and ways to solve problems. Students can discuss the importance of community helpers and they can use inquiry to discuss what our community may be like without community helpers. Students should inquire about the helpers in their own community and they may investigate further by taking a field trip and/or having a helper come to their classroom.
Caitlin Mauragas
This is a great social studies book for Pre-K and possibly Kindergarten students. It would be great for zooming in on the Firefighter. When students are learning about community helpers they usually learn about a policemen, firefighter, mail carrier, nurse/doctor etc. In this book Clifford tells a sweet and funny story about being a firefighter. It is not appropriate for much older than Kindergarten.
Yixuan Wang
He basic story line is that Clifford goes to visit his brother, who is much smaller than him, who is a firehouse dog and works at the firehouse. It showed them how they fought fires and I think that’s definitely cool and beneficial! I also watched the movie, and that is good, and I love it.
Jessica
I just get a kick out of everything that Clifford can do, because he's so big, and people just go along with it! An adult can see that this could never happen, but as a child, when it comes to Clifford, anything can happen!
Kristen
Library book. Robert memorized it, and would probably have been more crushed that we had to give it back if he hadn't also had the idea that we took *both* Clifford books back. He still talks about Nero and the firehouse book.
Lauren
Clifford goes to visit his brother who is a fire dog. Clifford helps the firefighters save people from a building and put the fire out. Great story about firefighters with a familiar character.
Jessica Bennett
This book teaches children about fire safety. It is a cute way to show children what firefighters do as well. Children love Clifford so you can't go wrong reading when there is extra time!
This book is good for teaching students fire safety and what fire fighters do. Boys would especially love this book about fires.
Cece
This is a good book. I actually used this book for a lesson during fire safety week during my kindergarten placement.
Theresa
good early reader, using texet to relate to the television show, a cute childhood story book.
Jaime Contreras
Clifford wants to help out the local firehouse but causes more trouble than a five-alarmer.
Dana Johnson
Young readers love Clifford. Shows the role of firefighters.
Dash
Dec 20, 2012 Dash rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
My favorite part was when Clifford helped put the fire out.
Sheila Read
this is a wonderful side of a dog that can help out the firefighters.
Bridget
I ALWAYS read these books to my younger couisn.
Great introduction to fire safety
Karen
The class liked this one
Brice
Read when I was 6.
  • Curious George Goes to the Beach
  • The Lion King (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Curious George at the Fire Station
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • Aladdin (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • The Little Mermaid (Disney Princess)
  • What a Bad Dream (Little Critter)
  • Winnie The Pooh And The Honey Tree (Little Golden Book)
  • Disney's the Lion King
  • Finding Nemo
  • Trick or Treat, Little Critter (Little Critter)
  • Franklin Goes to School
Norman Bridwell is an American author and cartoonist, best-known for the Clifford the Big Red Dog series of children's books. Bridwell attended John Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, Indiana. He currently resides on Martha's Vineyard, MA, where he continues to write an average of two books a year.

More about Norman Bridwell...
Clifford the Big Red Dog Clifford's Halloween Clifford The Small Red Puppy Clifford's Birthday Party Clifford's Puppy Days