Start by marking “Clifford The Firehouse Dog” as Want to Read:
Clifford The Firehouse Dog

Clifford The Firehouse Dog (Clifford the Big Red Dog)

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,561 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Released in time for "Fire Prevention Week" in October, Emily Elizabeth and Clifford pay a visit to Clifford's brother Nero, a fire rescue dog. While learning about fire safety, Clifford unexpectedly helps out on a fire and rescues people from a burning building. Full color illustrations.
Library Binding, 32 pages
Published September 1st 1994 by Cartwheel

To ask other readers questions about Clifford The Firehouse Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clifford The Firehouse Dog

Kirk
Jun 19, 2012 Kirk rated it liked it
Clifford is a friendly dog, one who supplies love and knowledge to the puny proletariat inhabitants of a small rural town. The more love he receives in payment, the larger he grows, until his owner, Emily Elizabeth, tells him simply to "stop."

But it is never that simple. One can't just halt growth for the sake of the motivation-lacking peasants because they feel like they're not getting their fair shake. It is market growth, symbolically depicted by a large dog, ironically colored red, which hel
Nyjol
Sep 11, 2014 Nyjol rated it it was amazing
It's was a great book and I think that this book is a great kids book for kids of all ages.clifford was smart to brake a hole in the roof of the building that was on fire and grabing the water from the water tower and spraying it into the building to help the firefighters put the fire out.overall this book is a good lesson of helpfulness for kids.if you have kids your kids will love this book and they will learn that helping others that are having trouble taking care of somethings is ok to do bu ...more
Russell
Mar 02, 2015 Russell rated it it was ok
Clifford tries to play at being the hero, as he successfully did in Clifford and the Big Storm. But the foolish canine clearly has a better understanding of storms than fires.

(view spoiler)
Karen
Sep 27, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I like this book because it helps children learn about Fire Safety as they learn and/or review fire safety vocabulary. It can be best used during "Fire Prevention Week" in October. The color illustrations open the door for discussions about Fire Safety Rules and firefighters. Students can make inferences during a read-aloud. This engaging book can be used to help motivate students to speak and work on their vocabulary.
Modboy
Emily Elizabeth and Clifford visit Clifford's brother Nero (yes that's really his name!) at the fire station. Children learn about fire safety with the ever helpful Clifford. I love the first fire safety tip at the back of the book: "Tape the number of your Fire Department to your phone."
Skylar Burris
Jul 10, 2009 Skylar Burris rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Isn't it a little sadistic that Clifford's fireman relative is named Nero? These Clifford books bore me to tears...but the kids like them well enough.
Laura Gibbs
Oct 11, 2009 Laura Gibbs rated it it was ok
This book definitely has some good aspects of it! The basic story line is that Clifford goes to visit his brother, who is much smaller than him, who is a firehouse dog and works at the firehouse. While his brother is teaching other children how to “stop, drop and roll” Clifford tries to do the same outside but ends up causing more trouble than it was worth! He ran over a vendor’s food stand when he rolled! But shortly after, there is a fire and Clifford is quick to help! He is able to get there ...more
Amy Scott
Mar 07, 2015 Amy Scott rated it really liked it
You can't go wrong with a Clifford book. He and Emily Elizabeth have been a favorite since I was a child and now I read them to my own kids. This particular Clifford story is about fire safety and the day Clifford helps the firefighters. It would be a great book to use in an early childhood classroom when talking about fire safety. The last page of the book also has some real fire safety tips you could discuss with students.
Maeve Mcgill
Clifford books are classic and supply love and knowledge to children. This book focuses on fire safety and community helpers. With beautiful illustrations, Clifford comes to the rescue of a building in trouble. Children are enthralled with Clifford books once they start reading and this book may be best read during "Fire Prevention Week" or when talking about helping others...

Robert
Apr 16, 2012 Robert rated it it was ok
Recommended to Robert by: Patty Phillips
Shelves: fiction, 2-0, dog, firefighter, own, cfc
Fritz selected this story as his bedtime story tonight. I've come to realize that Clifford isn't my kind of story. Nonetheless, it is important for the boy to be able to select what he wants to read. There was a time when he wouldn't even sit through a story.

We had a good time playing "hide and seek" with this story. When the text told us some people were in trouble, I asked Fritz where they were. When Emily Elizabeth was mentioned, I asked him where she was. Then we changed things up, and I ask
Chris Campos
Jun 24, 2014 Chris Campos rated it it was amazing
I loved the book and so did my siblings. Clifford has been "THE" dog for ages. An amazing role model for people because he is a good living being. This tells how clifford gets to be a firehouse dog and how he saves a building along with people. he is creditable for that effort and is loved by all the people.
Karen
Jul 14, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
I grew up with Ciifford, the Big Red Dog (only the first and original one, though), so nostalgia probably played a part in my review.

I did enjoy this Clifford story. It is a good book about firefighters/firehouses. But it does not quite have the charm of the original book.
Amy Stromgren
Feb 07, 2016 Amy Stromgren rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookshelf
This book is realistic and unrealistic at the same time, which is perfect for kids. It gives them tips on fire safety all while Clifford helps with the fire even though that would never happen in real life. This book would be perfect lesson for "Fire Safety Week."
Lisa Cohn
Dec 20, 2014 Lisa Cohn rated it it was amazing
Michael, age 6, loves this book because it shows what heroes dogs can be. He loves Clifford books in general because they're so funny and Clifford is so lovable. Watch Michael's review here:
Lexi
May 07, 2015 Lexi rated it really liked it
Shelves: clifford
This is a great story to read during fire prevention week at school. It helps students become aware of what they need to do in a situation if there is fire, and is mostly helpful to young students.
Brian
Nov 08, 2015 Brian rated it really liked it
Clifford the Firehouse Dog has several humorous illustrations that gave my son a good laugh. In my view, one of the better Clifford books.
Rosa Cline
Jul 19, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
This is a fabulous 'classic' Clifford book, one I had forgotten about but as I read to my 3 year old granddaughter memories of sitting reading it myself as a child came to mind. Love these classic Clifford books that not only brings our love for Clifford the big red dog to mind but our special memories reading as a child too.

In this book Clifford goes and visits his brother the firehouse dog. A group of children is at the firehouse teaching them lessons in what to do if they get caught on fire "
Penny
Nov 08, 2013 Penny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
It's never to early to start fire safety. Since even my 16 month old likes Clifford, it's a great way to introduce it. It's easier to remember stop, drop, and roll when picturing Clifford rolling a little too far. The Clifford stories are simplistic, but my kids all love them.

The end of the book comes with a good reminder of fire safety. The one about the phone is less useful in the U.S. since most areas now use 9-1-1 and cell phones have largely eliminated house phones, but the rest of the remi
Katie Casey
Feb 20, 2014 Katie Casey rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids
Clifford the Big Red Dog + Fire Trucks = what's not to love?
Kishore
Shelves: picture-books
(3.5 stars)
Brittany Perry
Sep 15, 2013 Brittany Perry rated it really liked it
As a mother I know it is never too early to start safety training. At a year we taught our son how to look both ways before crossing the street. This can introduce your child to the proper way of dealing with a fire. Stop drop and roll are important rules that can save your baby should his clothes catch on fire. You can make Clifford more fun by having you child practice while you read the instructions. That way they get to move and learn new things.
Rocheal Hoffman
This is a cute book that students may enjoy laughing at the playful, fictional scenes and ways to solve problems. Students can discuss the importance of community helpers and they can use inquiry to discuss what our community may be like without community helpers. Students should inquire about the helpers in their own community and they may investigate further by taking a field trip and/or having a helper come to their classroom.
Caitlin Mauragas
Oct 19, 2010 Caitlin Mauragas rated it liked it
Shelves: social-studies
This is a great social studies book for Pre-K and possibly Kindergarten students. It would be great for zooming in on the Firefighter. When students are learning about community helpers they usually learn about a policemen, firefighter, mail carrier, nurse/doctor etc. In this book Clifford tells a sweet and funny story about being a firefighter. It is not appropriate for much older than Kindergarten.
Yixuan Wang
Jan 28, 2012 Yixuan Wang rated it it was amazing
He basic story line is that Clifford goes to visit his brother, who is much smaller than him, who is a firehouse dog and works at the firehouse. It showed them how they fought fires and I think that’s definitely cool and beneficial! I also watched the movie, and that is good, and I love it.
Jessica
Feb 05, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
I just get a kick out of everything that Clifford can do, because he's so big, and people just go along with it! An adult can see that this could never happen, but as a child, when it comes to Clifford, anything can happen!
Kristen
Aug 30, 2012 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Library book. Robert memorized it, and would probably have been more crushed that we had to give it back if he hadn't also had the idea that we took *both* Clifford books back. He still talks about Nero and the firehouse book.
Lauren
Aug 26, 2011 Lauren rated it really liked it
Clifford goes to visit his brother who is a fire dog. Clifford helps the firefighters save people from a building and put the fire out. Great story about firefighters with a familiar character.
Jessica Bennett
This book teaches children about fire safety. It is a cute way to show children what firefighters do as well. Children love Clifford so you can't go wrong reading when there is extra time!
  • Curious George Goes to the Beach
  • Aladdin (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Winnie The Pooh And The Honey Tree (Little Golden Book)
  • The Lion King (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • What a Bad Dream (Little Critter)
  • Curious George at the Fire Station
  • Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Finding Nemo
  • The Berenstain Bears Go Out for the Team
  • Disney's the Lion King
  • Trick or Treat, Little Critter (Little Critter)
  • Sleeping Beauty: a Little Golden Book (Disney Princess)
Norman Bridwell is an American author and cartoonist, best-known for the Clifford the Big Red Dog series of children's books. Bridwell attended John Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, Indiana. He currently resides on Martha's Vineyard, MA, where he continues to write an average of two books a year.

More about Norman Bridwell...

Clifford the Big Red Dog (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog
  • Clifford Gets a Job
  • Clifford Takes A Trip
  • Clifford's Halloween
  • Clifford's Tricks (Clifford)
  • Clifford The Small Red Puppy