Start by marking “The Emergency Room: Lives Saved and Lost - Doctors Tell Their Stories” as Want to Read:
The Emergency Room: Lives Saved and Lost - Doctors Tell Their Stories

The Emergency Room: Lives Saved and Lost - Doctors Tell Their Stories

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  5 reviews
From the divine to the absurd, the triumphant to the tragic, this one-of-a-kind collection gathers together 30 extraordinary true stories of doctors in the emergency room. Alternately hair-raising, heartwarming and hilarious, Emergency Room captures the chaos, hope, horror and profound relief that doctors face every day on hospitals' front lines.
Published October 1st 1996 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Emergency Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Emergency Room

Kristin
A brief collection of stories from emergency room doctors in the mid-1990s, some doctors like Perri Klass, Michael Palmer, and Samuel Shem whose work I have read in the past, others less familiar to me. All of the stories were interesting, most referring to either a particular patient who left an impression or a typical shift in the doctor's hospital. While I suspected some of the stories from the familiar authors would have been ones I'd read before, I didn't remember any of them. All in all, a...more
Mandy Huot
Excellent book. Although I've always enjoyed these types of books, I stumbled upon this one by accident (or was it?)

Being a former nursing student, switched to Criminal Justice, reading stories of doctors (and sometimes nurses) still makes me feel part of the field. This book was an excellent dosage of medical story telling, from the plane out weird, to the heart grabbing, emotional stories of loss.

Highly reccomend this book for anyone plainly interested in reading stories from ER doctors, to E...more
Brian
I don't understand why this book has such low ratings. While I wish I could give it a 3 and 1/2, I found it to be rather good.
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
Very literary version of emergency room stories. a great read raw brutal and honest
Ago
Good short stories, however they are explicit. A laugh and a tear. Quick read.
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Ame
Ame marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Madison
Madison marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Christa
Christa marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Holly Gebhardt
Holly Gebhardt marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2013
M.
M. added it
May 26, 2013
Hope
Hope marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2013
Erin Smith david
Erin Smith david marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2013