Ladybugs

Ladybugs

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Using simple text and colorful illustrations, this book describes the physical attribute, habits, and life cycle of the ladybug.
Published March 1st 2012 by Holiday House (first published February 20th 2012)

Jim Erekson
(Advance warning--this post isn't much about Gibbons' pre-K book.)

Not being a librarian I had no idea how many ladybug books there were out there. How does this become the number one topic for insect books? (In a way, it seems racist--very anti-aphid, if you ask me.) Looks like there's one 2008 title from Scholastic on aphids without even a cover photo on goodreads (see B&N or google books for the cover).

The ladybug book is a pretty good example of passive censorship. When the market trend...more
Memory Kopp
In this book Gail Gibbons dives into the life of the ladybug. She tells of all the different types, where they live, what their life cycle is, what the parts of their bodies are, what their predators are and how they are helpful to the world we live in. Gibbons uses nice bright images and clear pictures to tell her story. The pictures have black outlines to help make them pop on the page. She gives very detailed information and helps with pronunciation of the difficult words. While Gibbons does...more
Brittany
Ladybugs is such a cool book that once again I thought it was in the wrong section. I really think that these authors are getting very smart by making factual books look interesting instead of the boring ones I had to deal with when I was younger. This book tells you all about the life of a lady bug and where they are and what they can do. To pair with this text I chose Ten little sleepyheads by Elizabeth Provost. This is a very simple story that is loosely based of "five little monkeys" but is...more
Lu Benke
I'm a fan of Gibbons. She manages to illustrate and present informational topics in ways that reach out and grab very young children. She does it with this title as well. Perhaps it is the bright primary colors with the black accent lines again--a style I think works well with young children. That, and just the right amount of information to inform without overwhelming. I especially loved the way that she showed all the different kinds of ladybugs with varying numbers of spots or color changes....more
Pam Moore
Audience: Primary

Genre: Non-fiction, Science, E-BOOK

This book tells many facts about ladybugs including their life cycle, habitat, food choices, body parts, and how they help farmers. The Twin Text I would choose to go with it is 'Ladybug Girl' by David Soman and Jacky Davis. In this book, a girl dresses up like a ladybug and acts a bit like a super hero. There are a couple of facts, but not many. Ladybug Girl helps some ants, fixes a wall, and appreciates nature. Many students could identify wi...more
Carrie Gelson
Fascinating. My favourite page is the one showing a few of the many, many different types of ladybugs out there.
Samantha
A beautiful book that would appeal to readers pre-k through first all about ladybugs. Using bright primary colors with cartoon like pictures, the book presents factual information about different kinds of ladybugs, what they eat, and even how they help farmers out. I think that this would do well in a younger classroom because of the simple way the information is presented, and the content is quite simple and not to in depth. "Ladybugs" would be a great book to read in a lesson about nature, and...more
Teri
Well done. Nice children's nonfiction.
Kristen Dota
This book was an excellent book for all who love ladybugs. The author did an awesome job describing and talking about the different kinds of ladybugs out there, I had no idea! Also as the reader you learn what they eat, and how they help the farmers out. I think this book is good for children because it shows just how important something so small can actually be. Great book!
Heather
I really like this book. The reasoning being is that it would though everything that a ladybug has and told us the reader what the name of every and the what it did. The other reason that i like this book was that the pictures were very color and cute. I would totally use this book but a science class not matter what level you are teaching.
Mayra
"Ladybugs" by Gail Gibbons is an informational picture book for young readers. The author describes very detailed facts about a ladybug from their physical traits, their habitat, difference in species, what they eat and a ladybugs growth stages. This is a good book to use in the classroom when learning about nature and growth.
Heather
This is really cute and intellectual book for children to read. This book describes what ladybugs are all about and it has really interesting facts about them. The illustrations in the book are really detailed and colorful which makes it fun for children to read. This is great book to read for a classroom.
Rachel S
Oct 20, 2013 Rachel S marked it as to-read
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
this book i feel would be really good to use when teaching kids about lady bugs. the author mentions a lot of different facts about lady bugs. and it brought back memories when i would try to either catch a lady bug or when they would land on me.
Margie
From curious little girl to an author with more than 170 nonfiction books, Gail Gibbons, is the reigning queen of information delivery set among her beautiful illustrations.
Read my full review at:
Bunnyjadwiga
When I picked this out in the library, I didn't realize it was so technical -- not exactly a preschool bedtime story! But my four and a half year old was not bored. Still, I would target this for K-2 classroom reading.
Brianna
There are a lot of Ladybugs all over the country. The pictures in the book show how a lady bug goes from an egg to a lady bug, where they travel and how they live. It's a good book if you want to learn about ladybugs.
Karen Arendt
very readable information about ladybugs. Include some interesting facts in the back. While there is no index, this book would be good information for research for K-2.
Angela
Gail Gibbons is spot-on in this new edition to her ever-expanding library. Recommended for all schools, libraries and children interested in this fascinating beetle.

Karlie Bevan
Great to give a young science class! The pictures were great and colorful, something that would get children's attention, and keep it.
Samantha
Great introduction to ladybugs complete with detailed drawings and diagrams. Good nonfiction read aloud!
Edward Sullivan
Like all of Gail Gibbons's works, a great iformational book for younger readers.
Wendy Kuzma
I learned a lot of things about ladybugs that I didn't know before!
Jana
Very informative book about ladybugs.
Marissa Garcia
Gail gibbons always delivers.
Aviel Aloysius
Aviel Aloysius marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Yamitza Mederos
Yamitza Mederos is currently reading it
May 20, 2014
Shaquita
Shaquita marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
From Seed to Plant The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree The Moon Book The Pumpkin Book Apples